ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Football is BACK! 9 (8+1) Games in 9 Week Window w/ Oct 23/24 Start Date, which is Crucial w/ Dec 19 B1G Title Game & CFP Teams Revealed Dec 20

Ok I do find this pretty comical...

I don’t think it’s a good idea for anyone to play this year. However, what context was that supposed to be said in? Besides “oh $&!? I didn’t know they heard that....”

Taken out of context???? BAHAHAHA!!!!!

OMG; I needed that laugh.

Exactly, I’m pretty against playing...but that’s a complete joke from NU’s President.
Saying he was talking about Futbol not football would have at least been more plausible...

Reactions: Franisdaman
Exactly, I’m pretty against playing...but that’s a complete joke from NU’s President.
Saying he was talking about Futbol not football would have at least been more plausible...
I posted this on the previous page, in case you/anyone missed it

There will be an announcement tonight. And how do we know? A hot mic.

Seriously?

WATCH THE VIDEO IN 2ND TWEET.

Big Ten football on the cusp of returning to the field this fall, perhaps as early as Oct. 17
Jeff Potrykus
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
UPDATED: 2:13 PM CT, Sep 15, 2020

MADISON – The excruciating wait Big Ten football players and coaches have experienced in the last month, a time laden with uncertainty and frustration, is about to end.

Big Ten football is coming back.

Sources told the Journal Sentinel on Tuesday that a proposal has been approved for the league to play its 2020 season this fall.

The starting date is unclear, but the latest proposal submitted to the Big Ten’s Council of Presidents and Chancellors featured an Oct. 17 kickoff. Each team is to play eight games in a nine-week window, with the league title game tentatively set for Dec. 19.

That should allow a Big Ten representative to compete for a spot in the four-team College Football Playoff field. That field is scheduled to be revealed Dec. 20.

It is unclear when league officials will make a formal announcement, but according to KETV7 in Omaha, University of Nebraska president Ted Carter was caught on a hot mic Tuesday morning sharing that the league would release the news later in the day.

“We’re getting ready to announce the Huskers and Big Ten football tonight,” Carter told Bob Hinson, director of the National Strategic Research Institute, before a news conference in Lincoln.

The Big Ten Council of Presidents and Chancellors voted, 11-3, last month to shut down all Big Ten fall sports because of concerns over the coronavirus pandemic.

Ohio State, Nebraska and Iowa were the three schools that voted to play.

Nine votes are needed to reverse the August decision.

The Journal Sentinel reported Sunday that sources familiar with the situation expected the council to approve a proposal to start the season next month.

The league’s return to competition task force, chaired by Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez, has been working for several weeks to fashion proposals to start the season.

Alvarez has expressed guarded optimism that Big Ten teams would play in 2020, but it wasn’t until late Saturday that sources told the Journal Sentinel they expected the league’s presidents and chancellors to green-light starting the season.

Perhaps the No. 1 factor has been the development of COVID-19 tests, which are more rapid and less costly now than they were in August.

Alvarez has consistently talked about the importance of such tests, beginning with an Aug. 11 Zoom session with reporters who cover UW.

"If we had a saliva test that we could get back within an hour," he said recently, "heck, we could have our guys do their test, go in and have breakfast and they’d have an answer before they went to practice and we could have a clean practice field."

On Saturday, the Big Ten’s medical subcommittee made a formal presentation to the league’s presidential steering committee, which features presidents/chancellors from eight schools.

The full Council of Presidents and Chancellors was briefed Sunday.

Speaking to the UW athletic board earlier this month, Alvarez sounded encouraged that players across the league would have the option of playing sooner than later.

“We’re looking forward to, as we gather more information, to having other meetings with the chancellors and presidents,” he said. "And hopefully we can reschedule the football season and get that started at some point.”

Last edited:
Reactions: IowaNiceHawk
I don't really care if they play this year or not. It isn't going to be a normal season and really now it just seems like they are trying to get something that gets OSU to the playoffs as opposed to doing something that is best for all teams.

Yeah, I mean what use do the other 13 teams have for that tens of millions of dollars of revenue each, right? And not only that, what good is it to that kid dreaming of an NFL career to have another season to showcase their talent? I mean, as ong as you don't care, why shouldn't everybody else suffer?

Yeah, I mean what use do the other 13 teams have for that tens of millions of dollars of revenue each, right? And not only that, what good is it to that kid dreaming of an NFL career to have another season to showcase their talent? I mean, as ong as you don't care, why shouldn't everybody else suffer?

yes by that standard why do any of the other Big 10 teams play football period? After all, only OSU has won the playoff (only MSU has made the playoff other than them). The schools in the conference decided long ago that football was worth having. It provides 85 scholarship opportunities for students to get a college degree debt-free, to play a sport that they like and if they are really good at it can become a professional. In addition to the revenue it brings in to support other sports. Lastly, it provides us fans with some enjoyment.

Reactions: pmtdc
With 8 games instead of 12, I wounder how these numbers change.

$120 million actual revenue for 2020

vs

$23 million budgeted for 2021 with no football (and $98 million in operating expenses)

Eh-dT2nX0AIDFON

Source:

All the options suck, and this is the least crappy one. Otherwise I think we were at risk of having kids just lose eligibility or having a backlog issue (if everyone was granted an 'extra' redshirt). At this point, I'm happy just to break in the new QB, see some meaningful games, and look forward to a normal 2021 schedule AND a full basketball season.

All the options suck, and this is the least crappy one. Otherwise I think we were at risk of having kids just lose eligibility or having a backlog issue (if everyone was granted an 'extra' redshirt). At this point, I'm happy just to break in the new QB, see some meaningful games, and look forward to a normal 2021 schedule AND a full basketball season.
we should have had that 10 game season that was announced on Aug 5 (41 days ago)

And now that 10 game season is getting cut by 20% (10 games to 8).

there was no reason to cancel on Aug 11 (35 days ago)
when things change daily w/ the virus

all 14 ADs wanted to play this fall. Kevin Warren represents those ADs when he meets with the Presidents.

Kevin Warren gets an F for the job he has done concerning the 2020 football season

Everybody mask up to stop further spread so we can have football. It’s that simple.
There's really not much room for error.

Check out this 10 WEEK timeline, assuming a "bye week" in the middle of the season:

Oct 17--Game 1
Oct 24--Game 2
Oct 31--Game 3
Nov 7--Game 4
Nov 14--BYE WEEK/RESERVED FOR RESCHEDULED GAME
Nov 21--Game 5
Nov 28--Game 6
Dec 5--Game 7
Dec 12--Game 8

Dec 19--B1G Championship Game

Dec 20--The FOUR College Football Playoff Teams announced

And speaking of the issue of games getting postponed:

Last edited:
Reactions: dekhawk

Yes. At this point given what has happened in 2020, if the Hawkeyes actually line up on Oct. 17 or Oct. 10, and play a Big 10 opponent, play hard and look like they are having some fun doing so, it will be a win. So much has happened since Iowa beat USC, it's hard to remember Iowa had a good team. A few weeks from now it will be cool to talk about who we think will be starting on the OL or how the receiver distribution will work o ut.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
This was the discussion this morning on why Big Ten football will be back this fall.

Lets face it; the season should NEVER have been canceled on Aug 11 (35 days ago).

Watch:

So Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Wisconsin and Iowa pop into the rankings next time around? I could see them leaving Iowa out but the rest would have to be in with 0 games played.

Everybody mask up to stop further spread so we can have football. It’s that simple.

Good luck with this endeavor. We tried that back in March- nobody listened and college hoops were canceled. We tried in May/June to save football and now we have an 8 game season.

For the record, I am just pumped Iowa is getting a chance. I have never missed an Iowa home game since I since I started at the UofI in 2003. If I have to miss so those dudes who have worked their butts off get to play, so be it...

Reactions: OKCRockHawk
Good luck with this endeavor. We tried that back in March- nobody listened and college hoops were canceled. We tried in May/June to save football and now we have an 8 game season.

For the record, I am just pumped Iowa is getting a chance. I have never missed an Iowa home game since I since I started at the UofI in 2003. If I have to miss so those dudes who have worked their butts off get to play, so be it...

Great. Just encourage all to wear a mask.

So, any announcement scheduled? Or is this another case of “vote will be happening tomorrow”?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT