ADVERTISEMENT

B1G News...Beilein to the Cavs.

Just learned the term Woj Bomb for major breaking stories by Wojnarowski. Haha. It's Yuuuuuuuuuuge!

Curious to see how things work out for him in the NBA. Works for some and not others I guess. Beilein seems like a well liked guy that could get along well with NBA players. He certainly had good success at UM.

DependableRequiredIsabellinewheatear-size_restricted.gif

Wow, did not see that coming, he never really struck me as a guy with interest in coaching in the NBA
This is a strange move. Don't recall seeing a coach make his first jump from the college game to the NBA this late in life. At 66 most are retired, retiring or at least seriously contemplating it. He could have finished out his days at mich if he wanted to.
Although it's good competitively for Iowa to not have to go up against him, it's not so good for the league to lose a quality coach who was so publicly gracious and not dogged by scandal.

Wow, did not see that coming, he never really struck me as a guy with interest in coaching in the NBA
It seems he has had interest in a couple of different NBA teams. "Beilein, 66, has entertained thoughts about the NBA for several years and had detailed discussions with two franchises -- the Orlando Magic and Detroit Pistons -- last year before deciding to return to Michigan." "Beilein didn't want to move himself and his wife far from Michigan, and the Pistons' borderline playoff roster with little financial flexibility to make changes made staying in-state less appealing." "In recent years, he's become increasingly frustrated with the nature of college basketball recruiting and the retention of top players." The B1G Conference basketball conference just lost some luster- as Beilein is a quality individual and a great coach.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26737028/michigan-beilein-coach-cavaliers

This is a strange move. Don't recall seeing a coach make his first jump from the college game to the NBA this late in life. At 66 most are retired, retiring or at least seriously contemplating it. He could have finished out his days at mich if he wanted to.
Although it's good competitively for Iowa to not have to go up against him, it's not so good for the league to lose a quality coach who was so publicly gracious and not dogged by scandal.

Tarkanian was in his mid 60's I think when he jumped to the Spurs job, of course he had some different circumstances for why he was leaving the college game.

It seems he has had interest in a couple of different NBA teams. "Beilein, 66, has entertained thoughts about the NBA for several years and had detailed discussions with two franchises -- the Orlando Magic and Detroit Pistons -- last year before deciding to return to Michigan." "Beilein didn't want to move himself and his wife far from Michigan, and the Pistons' borderline playoff roster with little financial flexibility to make changes made staying in-state less appealing." "In recent years, he's become increasingly frustrated with the nature of college basketball recruiting and the retention of top players." The B1G Conference basketball conference just lost some luster- as Beilein is a quality individual and a great coach.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26737028/michigan-beilein-coach-cavaliers

Yes he didn't want to get into paying for players and all the seediness that comes with recruiting. If he's wanted to coach at the highest level, might as well give it a shot.

He’s been at and won at every level, and I’m guessing losing three guys for a title contender pushed him past the brink. That rebuilding grind has to be tough when you reach his heights, if you can’t get the Duke/UK classes.

Pop once again proving how good of a coach he is while being quite old, no reason to think Beils can’t do it. Better question is whether the Cavs can build.

Reactions: Hawkeye_Pride06
The NBA is a different type of recruiting. If you don’t create a great environment(Cleveland doesn’t help) you won’t be in play to get top FA’s

I don't think Cleveland is under any illusions that they will be signing top free agents, which is why they hired a coach known for his player development abilities.

Welcome back to life after your few years long nap you’ve been taking
Don't follow Woj too much or have ESPN. Happened to see it this morning. More to life than knowing about the "Woj Bomb". Maybe not for you.

Well I don’t follow woj but I do follow the nba and he’s around the nba scene often so that’s probably why I’ve heard about it years ago.
I totally agree theirs more to life then knowing about the woj bomb. I’m just pretty sure if you follow the nba at all you’ve heard about it.
Now have a nice day. It’s going to be a nice one out there here in Iowa.

Beilein has been my favorite coach in the B1G. I am a little surprised, but now it will be easier to get back to my strong dislike of UM. It mostly shows what a cesspool college basketball has become, that he would want to go to the NBA. He is near the end of his career, so I suspect it was also one last challenge that he wanted to try.

Iowa should offer UM's defensive assistant a salary he can't refuse to teach the Hawkeyes that stopping the other team is half the game and actually matters if you want to win championships.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
He certainly might turn Cleveland around, but I don't think the situation is favorable for him to do that.
At least he will have a bigger severance package when his time runs out there.

I hope he does well in the NBA. By all accounts he seems like a genuinely good guy. I sure hope he’s not leaving Michigan so he can stay ahead of bad news to come later. With the mess that is college basketball recruiting, you never know. He doesn’t seem like the type, but who knows about his staff.

He certainly might turn Cleveland around, but I don't think the situation is favorable for him to do that.
At least he will have a bigger severance package when his time runs out there.
Yeah no chance. I’m a TWolves fan who has seen the “Kevin Love is our best player” show and it’s not a good one.

The good news is that they’ve got a high pick and Colin Sexton looks like he’s going to be a really solid player. Good point made earlier about Beilein’s player development ability. The Cavs will need it

Huge news. Thinking Beilein may be looking for a big pay check to end his career. Understand his recruiting comments. Despite his success, he’s not drawing like you’d expect him to.

Wonder if MI might bring in some young blood. It strikes me that
Steve Wojciechowski is starting a new recruiting cycle with Marquette losing the Hausers. Maybe he’d prefer to do that with a more prominent school?

Beilein must thing James and Irving are coming back to
Cleveland ??

LOL---- John must be sick of recruiting trips?

This Cavs team is a good way to ease into the NBA for Beilen, he might not have the personality for dealing with an established NBA star who doesn't respect a college coach coming in. Instead he gets a really young team, with some possibly decent pieces in Osman and Nance Jr, and the possibility of a Sexton-Morant backcourt is something that could grow into a really nice pairing if the lottery shakes out that way.

Reactions: IowaNiceHawk
I know Crean just landed at Georgia and has some nice recruits coming in...but wonder if he would bolt if given the chance.

He’s from the state. Could hang out w his nut job bro-in-law too.

Reactions: K OKeefe
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT