ADVERTISEMENT

B1G, PAC, ACC Alliance formally announced Tuesday

StormHawk42

HR Legend
Nov 3, 2009
It will be interesting to see what happens with the Iowa-Iowa State series. Assuming the regular season stays at 12 games, Iowa will have 5 road games already built into the schedule even before Iowa State. That means that if the series continues as is, Iowa would only have 6 home games every other year. I'm not sure that would be acceptable to certain people in the athletic department and the local business community.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Iowa-Iowa State series. Assuming the regular season stays at 12 games, Iowa will have 5 road games already built into the schedule even before Iowa State. That means that if the series continues as is, Iowa would only have 6 home games every other year. I'm not sure that would be acceptable to certain people in the athletic department and the local business community.
True, I know what we could do….end it!

This will be the end of the series unless ISU agrees to playing more often in Iowa City.

Don't want to see the CyHawk discontinued....too much fun.

Hawks start losing I'll probably change my mind.

It's bad for the local community for sure, but would it really be bad for athletic department? Most money is in TV now anyways, and I'm sure there's a lot to be made if the non con games were against major teams.

Or maybe it is, I certainly don't have those numbers. I've gotta think however that more meaningful games would trump the ticket and concession sales of an extra home game against Kent State

It's bad for the local community for sure, but would it really be bad for athletic department? Most money is in TV now anyways, and I'm sure there's a lot to be made if the non con games were against major teams.

Or maybe it is, I certainly don't have those numbers. I've gotta think however that more meaningful games would trump the ticket and concession sales of an extra home game against Kent State
I think an average home gate brings like $7 million. Overall athletic budget is I think $100 million. So it’s not insignificant.

I have seen the Iowa-Iowa State game mentioned in many (most?) articles that talk about the "traditional games" so I'm starting to think the game may have more national significance than I had previously thought. It probably has a lot to do with both Iowa and Iowa State fielding competitive teams lately, but I also think the longevity of the series is starting to play a role as well. We'll see what happens if Iowa State ends up conferenceless.

I have seen the Iowa-Iowa State game mentioned in many (most?) articles that talk about the "traditional games" so I'm starting to think the game may have more national significance than I had previously thought. It probably has a lot to do with both Iowa and Iowa State fielding competitive teams lately, but I also think the longevity of the series is starting to play a role as well. We'll see what happens if Iowa State ends up conferenceless.
if ISU stays relevant as a good to great (a la Iowa most years), I’m happy with the series continuing. One thing that might help it survive is that reportedly as a part of this alliance all 3 conferences are likely to return/remain at 8 conference games, so Iowa would have an additional nonconference game to work with.

Reactions: BioHawk and h-hawk
Kirk loves heading out west.

currently the PAC 12 has no super good teams. The ACC currently only has Clemson.

watching this play out the next 5 years is going to be interesting. The story lines if sports is become if more interesting than the actual games.

the NBA has stories of player movement. NFL has the QB carousels and draft. College football now has the conference wars.

Now they need to tell ND: Join a conference or you'll be playing an FCS schedule.

Last edited:

Watch the Iowa legislature mandate it.

The end of Iowa/Iowa State is near. With 8 conference games and 1 each with the ACC and PAC12, no way we're scheduling anyone other than UNI and a bottom of the pack MAC team at Kinnick for the remaining 2 games.

We need 7 home games and 2 more sure wins every year.

ISU is in trouble.

Not sure they have the authority to do that.
I don’t know how Iowa is set up legislatively, but why wouldn’t they? Both are state schools, no?

As for the alliance, I look forward to visiting some Big 10 and Pac 12 schools. It would even be fun to come to Iowa City to chase around some Florida 5’s aka Iowa 9’s.

Are there any talks for some of the BIG 12 teams being added to PAC 12 or BIG? Seems crazy. They are screwed.

ND actually helps the Alliance here as the conferences don't match up in teams 14-14-12. ND being a swing 15th ACC school helps in the scheduling arrangement in picking up games.

Are there any talks for some of the BIG 12 teams being added to PAC 12 or BIG? Seems crazy. They are screwed.
The PAC announced they are exploring expansion and will have an announcement in the next couple of weeks. After that announcement it was leaked that that none of the remaining Big 12 schools add enough value.

In the short term they are pretty much screwed.

Reactions: Tunadog
I love this, will be amazing to have less Kent states and northern Illinois’s and more ACC and Pac 12 schools….plus fun road trips!!

alas I’m guessing my dream of the Iowa ISU series dying will go unfulfilled
I think you're gonna be sorely disapointed.

Reactions: torbee
^^^^^^^^^^
This has never stopped the Iowa Legislature from getting involved. (And, they can, over time, make life pretty miserable for those who don’t wanna fall in line.)
Iowa legislators have made comments over the years, but I don’t believe any legislation has ever been seriously considered. It would be a fascinating legal battle if they tried to enforce something on the schools.

The end of Iowa/Iowa State is near. With 8 conference games and 1 each with the ACC and PAC12, no way we're scheduling anyone other than UNI and a bottom of the pack MAC team at Kinnick for the remaining 2 games.

ISU is in trouble.
The B1G plays 9 conference games.

ISU is in trouble.
What do you think Iowa State will become in a few years? They will be relegated to MAC level.

Iowa legislators have made comments over the years, but I don’t believe any legislation has ever been seriously considered. It would be a fascinating legal battle if they tried to enforce something on the schools.
Yes, forcing a school to lose money is not a good look.

Reactions: torbee

This is my view, as well. The $$$ to B1G schools from the new contract will be stunning and diminish or offset the ISU game loss. Also will allow the Iowa Tix office to charge more $$$ for the higher profile games with the newer schedules.

I don't feel sorry for ISU at all. If they would have put a bit more emphasis on being competitive for the last 3-4 decades... they wouldn't be in their current mess.

Honest question - how will it increase revenue and hurt ESPN - SEC? Seems you need more than an alliance.

It would be amazing if things got to point everyone shunned SEC and formed their own football national champion ship playoff. We could go back to olden days of numerous schools all claiming titles. I do hate the SEC, they are a balloon waiting to pop. Their brand of football is boring if all of a sudden nobody else is on schedule.

Honest question - how will it increase revenue and hurt ESPN - SEC? Seems you need more than an alliance.
I am guessing that if the ACC, B1G, and PAC12 are scheduling two non-conf games vs one another they probably won't be scheduling a 3rd (or 4th) with the SEC too.

I am guessing that if the ACC, B1G, and PAC12 are scheduling two non-conf games vs one another they probably won't be scheduling a 3rd (or 4th) with the SEC too.
As long as there are two or three big games every week that draw serious eyeballs the SEC will be better than fine.

SEC has so many huge names they should be able to have two or three huge games every week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT