ADVERTISEMENT

B1G, PAC, ACC Alliance formally announced Tuesday

Oh, methinks back in the early 70's it was quite serious. Serious enough to have the UIowa finally agree to some games. You never know what these pols are thinking...and they have the "power" to do all kinds of stupid shit.......and sometimes they do.
I think the talk got crazy enough where the UIowa camp decided it was easier just to schedule the damn game....and then afterISU was beating the shit out of them, it became a "point of honor" for the school........Its a pretty good annual game, honestly......better than playing UTEP, New Mexico St, Drake, Middle Tennessee St.....
Maybe. I’ve heard many conflicting stories about how serious the conversations about forcing the resumption of the series ultimately was so I dont know what to believe about that. When ISU is good, it’s a good series. this is really the first time the series has been relevant nationally.

Yeah - but honestly, that is boring. over and over, because rest of list is Vanderbilt, Missouri, Arkansas, Ole Piss, Miss State, South Carolina and Tennessee, and more important to ratings and flair: the foot print is meh its basically Civil War South States
The SEC just NASCAR'ed themselves. The Alliance plays to a national audience. The SEC is regional.

LSU, Auburn, Florida and Georgia are pretty good often enough to be considered perienial powers, are they? Add A/M to that mix, too. Plus now, the SEC will get two great rivalry games added to the schedule yearly.....Tex/OU and Tex/ A&M. Good gets.
Perennial powers, yes. But currently, Ohio state, Alabama and Clemson are on another level entirely.

LSU, Auburn, Florida and Georgia are pretty good often enough to be considered perienial powers, are they? Add A/M to that mix, too. Plus now, the SEC will get two great rivalry games added to the schedule yearly.....Tex/OU and Tex/ A&M. Good gets.
Agree. The four you have mentioned have been considerably more relevant than Nebraska and Michigan the past twenty years.

This alliance is a nothing burger because it doesn't involve more money...and that's got the SEC way ahead of the rest of us.
SEC is just going to pull even with the BIG AFTER they added UT & OU. Now the BIG is up for renegotiations and will pull ahead AGAIN. The BIG has the money and they have working arrangements with the other two remaining power conferences in scheduling games and voting blocks. The SEC will become insular and cannibalize each other with nobody of worth to play OOC.

Maybe. I’ve heard many conflicting stories about how serious the conversations about forcing the resumption of the series ultimately was so I dont know what to believe about that. When ISU is good, it’s a good series. this is really the first time the series has been relevant nationally.
The point is it was getting a lot of "noise" and a lot of the noise was eminating from the east side of DSM. I really believed at the time, UIowa just said "Fine, we'll do it short term".....At least doing it by "contract" Iowa could control a lot of the variables initially........I also believe that once in, UIowa found out the game was not such a bad deal for them. Remember, in the 70's ISU was probably more relevant to college football than UIowa.......Thank God for Hayden....and thank God Donny Duncan left Ames!
Personally, I think a lot of folks here oppose the ISU game because ISU had a pretty successful streak vs. the Hawks a decade ago. Maybe the game has passed its time......but Id rather play ISU than Arkansas State.

Agree. The four you have mentioned have been considerably more relevant than Nebraska and Michigan the past twenty years.
Yeah....but NOBODY has the helmets and school song that UMichigan has! They are "the Champions of the West!" for a reason.
(If you like Nebby's uniforms.....start following Central College fb....Central might have better players, too!)

All true, but in their little sandbox somebody has to lose. Will new arrival Texas still have that swagger after the pull a Cornhusker and finish in the bottom of the SEC West for 5 straight years? No. We'll look at them like we look at Arkansas, who was also a national power once that has been neutered in the SEC.

The point is it was getting a lot of "noise" and a lot of the noise was eminating from the east side of DSM. I really believed at the time, UIowa just said "Fine, we'll do it short term".....At least doing it by "contract" Iowa could control a lot of the variables initially........I also believe that once in, UIowa found out the game was not such a bad deal for them. Remember, in the 70's ISU was probably more relevant to college football than UIowa.......Thank God for Hayden....and thank God Donny Duncan left Ames!
Personally, I think a lot of folks here oppose the ISU game because ISU had a pretty successful streak vs. the Hawks a decade ago. Maybe the game has passed its time......but Id rather play ISU than Arkansas State.
We won't be playing Arkansas St in the new Alliance. We'll be playing ACC/PAC schools. Two a year. Good matchups.

All true, but in their little sandbox somebody has to lose. Will new arrival Texas still have that swagger after the pull a Cornhusker and finish in the bottom of the SEC West for 5 straight years? No. We'll look at them like we look at Arkansas, who was also a national power once that has been neutered in the SEC.
Never underestimate the power of $$$ in college football.....and UTex has access to plenty. I bet there are damn few schools they couldn't outspend.

The SEC is the Donald Trump of college football. They have a quality product, as long as they have 'bama. They are attention whores....I think the B10, Pac12 and ACC will be fine as long as they remember to do what they do well. If they start thinking they are the SEC, they are asking for trouble.
The SEC will be constantly "poaching" for members.....Clemson, FSU, Carolina's.....when (and if) the opportunity avails itself.
A lot of this is true. People have a skewed perception right now of the SEC because of the unholy alliance of Bama and Saban. They have had a HELL of a run, but let us not forget that before them, USC was the ridiculous superpower under Pete Carroll, and before them it was Miami. It will run its course and irrelevant programs such as south carolina, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Missouri, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Miss State, and really Tennessee, are simply basking in Bama's penumbra. Then you have semi-relevant teams such as Florida, Auburn, LSU, and TAMU. Georgia looks to be pretty good this year, but when you look at it, over half their conference is dead weight.

I love the idea. In week 2 wee may see a line-up like this....

Oklahoma vs North Texas
Alabama vs The Citadel
Ohio St vs Clemson
Michigan vs Florida St
Penn St vs USC
Iowa vs Oregon
Texas vs Rice
Florida vs Temple
Miami vs UCLA
Virginia Tech vs Wisconsin
North Carolina vs Washington

Looks like a good way to build excitement, see some new faces in Kinnick, and great road trips and stadiums I never thought I'd visit.

Last edited:
Tell me about these huge SEC names. There are 8 blue bloods of college football. 3 reside in the SEC in Alabama, Oklahoma, and Texas (notice two of these are not even in the SEC yet). Michigan, Ohio State, and Nebraska in the BIG, though the Husker start is fading fast and they are on the verge of losing status. Notre Dame. USC.

The SEC is so overrated and full of themselves. For every SEC name you throw out there is a program in the BIG that will match up with them. Now the BIG is lined up with the other remaining 2 Power conferences and Notre Dame. The SEC is effectively surrounded and the Alliance can completely put them in a box. Inside their little sandbox they will beat each other (.500 record) and the only OOC games they can get will be FCS/G6, meaning not very good programs.

I've read Finebaum squawking about the Alliance. He's running his mouth about it because he's an SEC shill and he knows what the new landscape means for the SEC.
My only quibble is that Nebraska is no longer a blue blood. I would say that PSU is a blue blood though.

What I’ve traditionally hated about the rivalry until the past few years as ISU improved, was the there was no positive outcome for Iowa from playing the game. If we win, we’re supposed to. If we lost, either we sucked or it was a huge upset.

before my time, but personally I think the noise from DSM was just that. It’s really rare that any state legislature directly interferes in an university/athletic department to that level.

Wait. Is it just me, or did this sound like a lot of vague nothing?
It sounded like a lot of table-setting. If nothing else, I doubt it works without contracts tying it together. To me this was the basic announcement now, to answer the SEC adding Texas and Oklahoma. It doesn’t sound like anyone had any appetite for conference expansion at this point.

Reactions: golfinghawkeye
I was repeating what Dave Wannstedt said in the audio linked. He was at the Fox meeting in LA errrrrr Phoenix with a lot of B1G people there.

The tweet attached only mentions KU and KSU.
If the Big 10 is dumb enough to add those two absolute anchors of athletic programs, I might be done. Bad enough we have to see Rutgers and Nebraska in the best conference in the land. Enough is enough.

If the Big 10 is dumb enough to add those two absolute anchors of athletic programs, I might be done. Bad enough we have to see Rutgers and Nebraska in the best conference in the land. Enough is enough.

I’m not going to put anything past Kevin Warren at this point.

The more nonsense it is, the more likely to come true.

I’m not going to put anything past Kevin Warren at this point.

The more nonsense it is, the more likely to come true.
Kinda depends. If they’re serious about this “alliance” extending to all sports that they compete in, it makes a little more sense.

I actually feel sorry for Kevin Warren at this point. He became conference commissioner at about the worst time possible, as the pandemic hit. Then he got hamstrung by the university presidents last fall - I don’t think Delaney would have sat still for that. Outside of this alliance, I don’t know that there’s a slam dunk move here.

He has certainly made many mistakes in his almost two years on the job. A lot of those were because of circumstances that no one could have foreseen two years ago.

Kinda depends. If they’re serious about this “alliance” extending to all sports that they compete in, it makes a little more sense.

I actually feel sorry for Kevin Warren at this point. He became conference commissioner at about the worst time possible, as the pandemic hit. Then he got hamstrung by the university presidents last fall - I don’t think Delaney would have sat still for that. Outside of this alliance, I don’t know that there’s a slam dunk move here.

He has certainly made many mistakes in his almost two years on the job. A lot of those were because of circumstances that no one could have foreseen two years ago.
The only slam dunk I think he could do resembling the gif below would be to add USC, ND, Clemson, and I'll throw a bone to our FSU brethern and say FSU for recruiting purposes. And that ain't happening anytime soon, if ever.

shaq-big-dunk.gif

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see what happens with the Iowa-Iowa State series. Assuming the regular season stays at 12 games, Iowa will have 5 road games already built into the schedule even before Iowa State. That means that if the series continues as is, Iowa would only have 6 home games every other year. I'm not sure that would be acceptable to certain people in the athletic department and the local business community.
Probably same consideration as Georgia-Georgia Tech, Florida-Florida State

Word is that Delaney is the power behind this Alliance. Big Jim getting things done.

Listening to Finebaum and he's scoffing at the BIG. Called it the P1, other 3, with the Big 12 looking in. Says we're just posturing. Nothing comes from this. SEC, SEC.

This is how I know this has the SEC folks (that matter) worried. These 3 conferences banding together can put the SEC in their own little regional corner and neuter any influence they have. What matters most to the SEC is that National Football title. Finebaum has been screaming about the expanded playoffs. Would love to see the Alliance keep it at 4, 3 Alliance members and an SEC rep. Let the 16 SEC wolves fight over that one scrap.

The SEC and Texas really bit off more than it could chew on this one, classic case of hubris. It managed to lose power by adding Texas and oklahoma, dumbasses

Dave doesn't know shit. ISU and KU are not getting added to the Big Ten. The rest of his split makes 0 sense either. The Pac-10 sure as shit isn't taking KSU.

Reactions: MikeyHawk
The only slam dunk I think he could do resembling the gif below would be to add USC, ND, Clemson, and I'll throw a bone to our FSU brethern and say FSU for recruiting purposes. And that ain't happening anytime soon, if ever.

shaq-big-dunk.gif
ND's contract states that if they join a conference before 2036, it has to be the ACC. And for FSU or Clemson to leave they'd have to fork over $52 million - each - which really isn't much but they'd also owe the ACC their tv earnings over the next 15 years. There would be a court case, certainly, which would cost a bundle and it would undoubtedly lead to a settlement but there would be hundreds of millions of dollars on the table so even the settlement wouldn't be cheap.

ND's contract states that if they join a conference before 2036, it has to be the ACC. And for FSU or Clemson to leave they'd have to fork over $52 million - each - which really isn't much but they'd also owe the ACC their tv earnings over the next 15 years. There would be a court case, certainly, which would cost a bundle and it would undoubtedly lead to a settlement but there would be hundreds of millions of dollars on the table so even the settlement wouldn't be cheap.
Correct, which is why I said it ain't happening anytime soon, if ever

Reactions: tarheelbybirth
ADVERTISEMENT