ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Revenue

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/amp...18-tax-records-show/whhcjrj13gw61agk9u98mrnsi

I am fairly certain this record will get broken when 3rd tier media rights are released by their their conferences

From the article:

That Big Ten's record revenue - driven largely by new TV agreements that took effect at the start of the 2017-18 school year - led to payments of some $54 million to 12 of the conference's 12 member schools (Maryland and Rutgers, as newer members, received smaller revenue-share amounts).

That per-school figure offers a telling detail, per figures compiled by USA Today in partnership with Syracuse University:

"The Big Ten's new basic per-school share means that those programs received more money from one revenue source than the vast majority of Division I athletics departments had in total. More than 170 of the 213 public-school athletics programs outside the Big Ten reported less than $54 million in operating revenue for fiscal 2017, the most recent year for which figures have been compiled …"

Even among the rich-getting-richer, the Southeastern Conference didn't hit the Big Ten's kind of revenue in 2018. The SEC in February reported just less than $660 million in revenue for fiscal 2018, distributing an average of $43.7 million to 13 member schools that received full shares (Mississippi wasn't given a full share because its football team was banned from postseason play).

“payments of some $54 million to 12 of the conference's 12 member schools (Maryland and Rutgers, as newer members, received smaller revenue-share amounts).”

Anyone know how much Rutgers and Maryland were given?

Thanks. I'll go ahead and paste it here for those (like me) who hate clicking links and wating for pages to load...

The ($759 million) revenue total was driven by new TV agreements that took effect at the start of the 2017-18 school year and resulted in payments of roughly $54 million to each of the 14-team conference’s 12 longest-standing members. Maryland and Rutgers received smaller revenue-share amounts, but both schools also received loans from the conference against future revenue shares.

Maryland’s loan from the Big Ten in fiscal 2018 was just under $31 million. When added to its revenue share of $26.1 million, this means Maryland received more money from the Big Ten in 2018 than any school. But it also means Maryland has been loaned more than $66 million during its first four years in the conference, and its future revenue shares will be adjusted accordingly.

Rutgers’ loan from the conference -- $14 million -- is its first. Rutgers’ revenue share for 2018 was $11.7 million.

Last edited:
Thirty years ago I don't believe many would have thought it would be possible to rake in the amounts of money we are seeing now. If it wasn't for football bringing in what it does many of the other sports each major university has would not exist.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT