ADVERTISEMENT

B1G & SEC - just do it already!

bowlhawk

Team MVP
Aug 15, 2002
With the recent acquisitions the B1G & SEC could already say screw the NCAA and host their own playoffs. In my opinion of the top 20 valuable football programs 16 reside in the Power 2 (80%!). The leftovers could already be on the outside looking in:

AlabamaSEC
OSUB1G
GeorgiaSEC
Notre DameInd
ClemsonACC
OklahomaSEC
MichiganB1G
Texas A&MSEC
FloridaSEC
LSUSEC
PSUB1G
Florida StateACC
OregonP12
USCB1G
TexasSEC
TennesseeSEC
NebraskaB1G
AuburnSEC
WisconsinB1G
IowaB1G

With the recent acquisitions the B1G & SEC could already say screw the NCAA and host their own playoffs. In my opinion of the top 20 valuable football programs 16 reside in the Power 2 (80%!). The leftovers could already be on the outside looking in:

AlabamaSEC
OSUB1G
GeorgiaSEC
Notre DameInd
ClemsonACC
OklahomaSEC
MichiganB1G
Texas A&MSEC
FloridaSEC
LSUSEC
PSUB1G
Florida StateACC
OregonP12
USCB1G
TexasSEC
TennesseeSEC
NebraskaB1G
AuburnSEC
WisconsinB1G
IowaB1G
I’m assuming you mean tOSU, when mentioning OSU? Haha…they get a little picky about that!

Reactions: cmhawks99
293530729_437832791553150_6854720808597050398_n.jpg

Actually, I think you’re on to something here for future schedules. Dedicate 1/2 of the schedule to September and the other 1/2 to November. A big time game in November could make it interesting and knock out a national title contender. I even wouldn’t mind relinquishing the Bugeater date after Thanksgiving since they are pathetic and are no contest to our beloved Hawks. Let’s see how some SEC teams perform in cold!

Last edited:
Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK

AlabamaSEC
OSUB1G
GeorgiaSEC
Notre DameInd
ClemsonACC
OklahomaSEC
MichiganB1G
Texas A&MSEC
FloridaSEC
LSUSEC
PSUB1G
Florida StateACC
OregonP12
USCB1G
TexasSEC
TennesseeSEC
NebraskaB1G
AuburnSEC
WisconsinB1G
IowaB1G
No way should Clemson be that high. They had a nice run but taken with a historical perspective and their current trajectory, Clemson is in the middle of this list. When Dabo leaves they will be in trouble. Compare that with some of the programs listed below them, Michigan, Oklahoma, Florida, Florida State, Miami, USC, Texas, who have weathered many coaching changes and maintained their relevance.

AlabamaSEC
OSUB1G
GeorgiaSEC
Notre DameInd
ClemsonACC
OklahomaSEC
MichiganB1G
Texas A&MSEC
FloridaSEC
LSUSEC
PSUB1G
Florida StateACC
OregonP12
USCB1G
TexasSEC
TennesseeSEC
NebraskaB1G
AuburnSEC
WisconsinB1G
IowaB1G
Fsu Miami?

Actually, I think you’re on to something here for future schedules. Dedicate 1/2 of the schedule to September and the other 1/2 to November. A big time game in November could make it interesting and knock out a national title contender. I even wouldn’t mind relinquishing the Bugeater date after Thanksgiving since they are pathetic and are no contest to our beloved Hawks. Let’s see how some SEC teams perform in cold!
You're dreaming lol

AlabamaSEC
OSUB1G
GeorgiaSEC
Notre DameInd
ClemsonACC
OklahomaSEC
MichiganB1G
Texas A&MSEC
FloridaSEC
LSUSEC
PSUB1G
Florida StateACC
OregonP12
USCB1G
TexasSEC
TennesseeSEC
NebraskaB1G
AuburnSEC
WisconsinB1G
IowaB1G
It's not run by the NCAA

"University presidents and chancellors from all 10 FBS conferences and Notre Dame serve as the board of managers and govern the administrative operations, with commissioners and Notre Dame athletics director (the Management Committee) managing the event."

I see a lot of losses tbh. Not sure adding USC UCLA really helped the b1g compete for anything but short term tv money.
I’m an advocate for a tougher schedule with prime time TV. The losses may come at the hands of the top programs but the Big is a tough game on the road for others. To date myself I attended the tough ones in the early Hayden Fry years and we won. I say bring it in and let the best prove it.

Reactions: Ree4
If they made a pact to do this and had one or two games a week spread out over the season except for the last week that would be kept for rivalry week in conference, they would rain money on them even greater amounts.

AlabamaSEC
OSUB1G
GeorgiaSEC
Notre DameInd
ClemsonACC
OklahomaSEC
MichiganB1G
Texas A&MSEC
FloridaSEC
LSUSEC
PSUB1G
Florida StateACC
OregonP12
USCB1G
TexasSEC
TennesseeSEC
NebraskaB1G
AuburnSEC
WisconsinB1G
IowaB1G
The NCAA basketball tournament is more popular than the Football Playoffs because it includes the whole country. The plan of Big 10 and SEC only is a recipe for low ratings. Kind of like the same teams every year like the Iowa High School Football Championship

No way should Clemson be that high. They had a nice run but taken with a historical perspective and their current trajectory, Clemson is in the middle of this list. When Dabo leaves they will be in trouble. Compare that with some of the programs listed below them, Michigan, Oklahoma, Florida, Florida State, Miami, USC, Texas, who have weathered many coaching changes and maintained their relevance.
I'm fine with Clemson moving down, but they are certainly in the top 20. Was trying to get a feel for % of B1G SEC teams in the top tier to show they could set the rules for the play offs if they wanted to.

The NCAA basketball tournament is more popular than the Football Playoffs because it includes the whole country. The plan of Big 10 and SEC only is a recipe for low ratings. Kind of like the same teams every year like the Iowa High School Football Championship
Yes, expanded football playoffs would drive a lot more interest. 16 or 24-team playoff like the FCS level does it. Top seeds host. If they want to use the biggest bowl games once they get to the final 8 or 4, okay. But there is way more money and interest potential for the teams by going to an expanded playoff than continuing the bowl system. Having better seed host on campus rather than all neutral site games would mean you get raucous crowds and a great atmosphere. Plus if you are good enough as a northern/Midwest school to host, you get the opportunity to have weather be a factor.

If Big 10 and SEC expand to 20+ teams, most years they will have a bunch of teams in the playoff. But other schools could be in too. 24-team playoff would reward playing good competition. No automatic qualifiers, do away with conference title games. Best teams get in.

While I’d be willing to bet that the final four in the college football playoff get better ratings than the final four in the NCAA basketball tournament, your broader point is correct that the Big Ten And SEC are going to end up killing the sport. More accurately FOX and ESPN are going to kill the sport. The NCAA basketball model which supports all conferences and a national interest is in the long term more healthy than the limited number of schools that are eventually going to be a part of the two mega conference model.

AlabamaSEC
OSUB1G
GeorgiaSEC
Notre DameInd
ClemsonACC
OklahomaSEC
MichiganB1G
Texas A&MSEC
FloridaSEC
LSUSEC
PSUB1G
Florida StateACC
OregonP12
USCB1G
TexasSEC
TennesseeSEC
NebraskaB1G
AuburnSEC
WisconsinB1G
IowaB1G
What type of list is this? Nebraska is listed on here. Has it been 20 years since they were a top 20 team?

I’m an advocate for a tougher schedule with prime time TV. The losses may come at the hands of the top programs but the Big is a tough game on the road for others. To date myself I attended the tough ones in the early Hayden Fry years and we won. I say bring it in and let the best prove it.
UCLA and USC may or may not provide a tougher schedule. Depends who they replace

Yes, I’m dreaming. I would rather have the Big10 and Iowa line up against better competition with marquee match ups. It’s out of the norm on how we schedule but I can still dream.
You're forget one "minor" issue. The sec doesn't care what you want. They have ZERO incentive to make their schedules more difficult.

People also don't mention bball...they think they're just gonna dump teams like Kansas and think they're gonna be willing to become a big east type team.

I'm was hoping he wasn't putting those schools in order because Iowa should be well above at least a third of those schools, unless your rating them solely on $$$, or relevancy for the last 100 years total. You can't possibly put Texas, Tenn or Nebraska ahead of Iowa if this is based on current play......

I'm was hoping he wasn't putting those schools in order because Iowa should be well above at least a third of those schools, unless your rating them solely on $$$, or relevancy for the last 100 years total. You can't possibly put Texas, Tenn or Nebraska ahead of Iowa if this is based on current play......
The current metric is a fuzzy one, kind of like a Q score in advertising. Basically what schools generate the highest television ratings or viewership.

I think you can argue that a casual viewer has roughly the same interest in tuning in to an Iowa game over a Tennessee game or Nebraska game. Iowa is in that conversation, but not ahead of a school like Texas or even Miami, who generate ratings based on brand and historical success.

The current metric is a fuzzy one, kind of like a Q score in advertising. Basically what schools generate the highest television ratings or viewership.

I think you can argue that a casual viewer has roughly the same interest in tuning in to an Iowa game over a Tennessee game or Nebraska game. Iowa is in that conversation, but not ahead of a school like Texas or even Miami, who generate ratings based on brand and historical success.
Maybe so, but I feel sorry for those poor slobs who've been tuning in to watch Texas or Tenn for most of the last decade...... :rolleyes:

You are correct.
You're forget one "minor" issue. The sec doesn't care what you want. They have ZERO incentive to make their schedules more difficult.
No the SEC doesn’t care on what I want. Money is the motivator right now. TV contracts, NIL money to support the programs. That said no one will listen to the likes of me or any other fan. But, if money is on the line then that will be the driver. Most likely the biggest issue in non conference scheduling is a home and home series compared to a “cupcake” home game where we (or any BIG/SEC team) control most of the gate and TV money. We pad a win and everybody feels good about a win + payday.
If Fox and the other network (ESecPN) get the money right then that will open doors but not until then.

You are correct.

No the SEC doesn’t care on what I want. Money is the motivator right now. TV contracts, NIL money to support the programs. That said no one will listen to the likes of me or any other fan. But, if money is on the line then that will be the driver. Most likely the biggest issue in non conference scheduling is a home and home series compared to a “cupcake” home game where we (or any BIG/SEC team) control most of the gate and TV money. We pad a win and everybody feels good about a win + payday.
If Fox and the other network (ESecPN) get the money right then that will open doors but not until then.
If the sec cared about better matchups they wouldn't play so many trash teams. I don't see that changing.

Yes, I’m dreaming. I would rather have the Big10 and Iowa line up against better competition with marquee match ups. It’s out of the norm on how we schedule but I can still dream.
one of the first things Hayden said was we needed to soften the schedule, not for performance reasons, but for injury reasons, hence the change in philosophy.
You also need look no further than M Gundy who just yesterday said playing 10 P5 teams in a year should mean an extra 10 scholarships per total(95).
The elite might have enough talent to survive big time schedules but most programs do not.

• Wow
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
The Big Ten is literally never dropping a team, period, period, period. Even forgetting for a second that Rutgers, Illinois, Maryland, etc. bring a lot of value to the conference beyond being good at football, the good programs need less good programs to not suddenly lose their spots in the pecking order. If you think OSU wants those teams gone, you’re crazy!

one of the first things Hayden said was we needed to soften the schedule, not for performance reasons, but for injury reasons, hence the change in philosophy.
You also need look no further than M Gundy who just yesterday said playing 10 P5 teams in a year should mean an extra 10 scholarships per total(95).
The elite might have enough talent to survive big time schedules but most programs do not.
The schedule in the early Fry years was set prior to his arrival and he was instrumental in scheduling “lighter” match ups. You are correct that Injuries will always be a concern. However, rules have helped (targeting) and recovery has advanced. I don’t know how a pro team can have 18+ games with playoffs and only have 53 active players on roster then scout teams.

I think they should do what the B1G tried to do at the end of the COVID season - during championship week you get:

#1 vs #2
#3 vs #4
#5 vs #6
etc...

Really was excited and hopeful that something like that would continue.
*SUPER EDIT*: 8:53…😜…

Below, I got a little carried away with my seeding, I essentially meant one verse one from each conference two verse two each conference three verse three etc. down to seven which is essentially what the gentleman I quoted was saying I believe?! 😳Doh!!

I’m so bored I decided to read this thread, not that I don’t find it sometimes interesting but… 😁

With that said I couldn’t possibly agree with this sentiment more! I wish badly they would do it. I think they can make it work all the way down through 1 verse 1 to 14 verse 14.

I have to believe there’s still Big Ten fans Midwest football fans, football fans. That would tune in!!

There could still possibly be some very fun interesting matches all the way down to 7v7, even down to 9v9!!

Besides you package them up, 1v1 probably most likely get its own night. Unless a 2v2still has semi national title implications or two really really good 10 and two verse 10 and two type teams…then third fourth fifth etc.

Maybe even start the down the road teams on a Wednesday night or Thursday night?!

They could still compete for eyeballs versus the Mac, Sun belt, Midwest conference championship week, right?

Reactions: Ree4
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT