ADVERTISEMENT

B1G, SEC & PAC-12 will have 10-game, League-only Schedules. ACC? 10 +1; Big 12? 9+1

Should help stop the virus in dorms, bars, apartments, and dining centers.

I imagine some feel safer already.
Well, I guess that's the risk these human beings will have to choose to face or not face if they want to play sports at the next level..........

Time to stop letting the poor choices of a few ruin things for everyone.

Deal with it. :)

Reactions: Birdmanil
I am honestly sick and tired of the constant, "wait until we get to x date to make a decision." I am aware that without a vaccine this is impossible, but I wish they would just announce that games will be pushed back to the spring. I just know in early August - a month before the season is supposed to start, they will crush everyones dreams yet again.

Maryland is another candidate to come to Iowa City, as their conference schedule is also 5 home/4 road, so their 10th conference game will be a road game.
In looking at the four East division teams that Iowa doesn't currently have on the 2020 schedule (Indiana, Maryland, Rutgers, Michigan), all four currently have conference schedules with 5 home/4 road, so any one of those teams could be candidates to come to Iowa for the 10th conference game for the Hawks (IF there is a season)

Reactions: naturalmwa
I would be worried for Twins if that happened. Suicide watch. CF would shut down. My guess is they will say somehow Iowa “ducked” them. Hell they are blaming their recruiting woes on the virus since kids can’t visit that cathedral called Ames. On a more serious note, am getting more worried about the season. Teams like Clemson and LSU have like 20 plus kids in quarantine. And it’s only gonna get worse with more in person contact. God I hope I’m wrong of course.
Why should ISU fans complain if Iowa forfeits the game this year?
;)

Bye bye Clones. Bye bye Randy. Bye bye CF. Without Iowa they are all all gone. I’m sure we are ducking them as 17-3 in all sports and won 5 in a row. Karma is a bitch as all the Clones celebrated the NCAA b-ball being canceled to hurt Iowa b-ball. Now their best team gets to play a crap schedule. Gotta kill the Clone fans. Losing that game made my day.
Of course, ISU fans will start claiming the Big 10 is doing this on purpose in order to deny ISU a victory over Iowa.

Reactions: And1Hawk
I am honestly sick and tired of the constant, "wait until we get to x date to make a decision." I am aware that without a vaccine this is impossible, but I wish they would just announce that games will be pushed back to the spring. I just know in early August - a month before the season is supposed to start, they will crush everyones dreams yet again.
And we already know how bad its gonna be in 5-6 months......................

I think reading the Big Ten’s comments it’s pretty clear there will not be football this fall...has anyone noticed there is no plan announced about anything just...”details coming soon”. The season starts in just over 5 weeks!

this is just like hosting March Madness with no fans, kicking the can down the road for two or three weeks.

Reactions: ChrisVarick
BREAKING NEWS:

Source: Big Ten moving to conference-only model for all sports this fall
2:18 PM CT
  • Heather Dinich
  • Mark Schlabach
The Big Ten decided on Thursday that a conference-only season for all fall sports, including football, is the most likely outcome, a source with knowledge of the discussions told ESPN.

If college football can be played this fall, Big Ten presidents and athletics directors prefer playing a conference-only schedule, which would eliminate some long-distance travel and help ensure that their teams are being tested for coronavirus universally, multiple sources inside the league and around college football told ESPN.

Some Big Ten schools preferred playing only conference foes with one additional non-league game, which would preserve some of its marquee non-Big Ten matchups, but there is overwhelming support for a 10-game conference-only schedule, the sources said.

Big Ten presidents and athletics directors discussed the issues during a conference call earlier this week, and the league's head coaches were given an opportunity to weigh in on Thursday morning.

A decision to play only conference games might be announced as early as this week, the sources said.

An assistant coach at a Big Ten program told ESPN that his head coach instructed him to stop scouting and preparing for nonconference opponents and focus on only league foes.

The Big Ten's potential decision to play only conference opponents would affect 36 scheduled opponents, including 28 from the FBS and eight from the FCS. Six FBS schools -- Ball State, Bowling Green, BYU, Central Michigan, UConn and Northern Illinois -- are scheduled to play two Big Ten opponents this season.

The Big Ten would lose marquee nonconference matchups, including Michigan's road game at Washington on Sept. 5, Ohio State's trip to Oregon on Sept. 12, Michigan State's home game against Miami on Sept. 26, and Wisconsin's contest against Notre Dame at Lambeau Field on Oct. 3.

ESPN's Adam Rittenberg contributed to this story.

LINK: https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-moving-conference-only-model-all-sports-fall
Perfect, another senior class never losing to ISU.

Reactions: Franisdaman
I would be worried for Twins if that happened. Suicide watch. CF would shut down. My guess is they will say somehow Iowa “ducked” them. Hell they are blaming their recruiting woes on the virus since kids can’t visit that cathedral called Ames. On a more serious note, am getting more worried about the season. Teams like Clemson and LSU have like 20 plus kids in quarantine. And it’s only gonna get worse with more in person contact. God I hope I’m wrong of course.
They already have lol. Twins thinks we are scared to play the CryClowns at Kinnick, with one of the nations best defenses and improved offense. CryClown fans are the best lol.

I'd rather they wait on the 2% chance some miracle treatment comes along in the next month. Better to be 98% sure there's no season right now than 100%.

They already have lol. Twins thinks we are scared to play the CryClowns at Kinnick, with one of the nations best defenses and improved offense. CryClown fans are the best lol.
Posts like that make no sense. This is not an Iowa decision. At the same time, Iowa is not use to having a great CFP team like Iowa State come to Kinnick. What a joke of a fan base

In looking at the four East division teams that Iowa doesn't currently have on the 2020 schedule (Indiana, Maryland, Rutgers, Michigan), all four currently have conference schedules with 5 home/4 road, so any one of those teams could be candidates to come to Iowa for the 10th conference game for the Hawks (IF there is a season)
Not sure if it's been officially announced but our mods are saying Michigan @ Iowa is our 10th game

Not sure if it's been officially announced but our mods are saying Michigan @ Iowa is our 10th game
Forgive me if I’ve missed it somewhere, but is the Hawkeye’s first game against the Gophers, same date, and then the (possible) Michigan game is moved into a bye week somewhere or now the last game of the season?

Forgive me if I’ve missed it somewhere, but is the Hawkeye’s first game against the Gophers, same date, and then the (possible) Michigan game is moved into a bye week somewhere or now the last game of the season?
I'm a Michigan fan so don't know the details of how your schedule will work week to week....I actually don't know the details of ours either....just reading that our 10th gane will be @Iowa....assuming there is a season of course

Reactions: VodkaSam
This might get the bear back in hibernation (since losing 17 of 20 contests doesn’t apparently), Uncle Pete to a home, CF to finally fold and thankfully Twins to a Psycho ward.

I could see adding Michigan and replacing PSU with Indiana if they try and keep things as geographic as possible. I bet there is a new schedule.

All conferences must move to conference only. Big Ten was first, as with most major conference moves, but its clear every conference must move to a conference only season.
There’s no way you can compare a 8-0 Big Ten Champion to a 12-0 or 11-1 SEC Champion. Also, if the SEC or Big 12 play 3-4 extra games it will move them up the BCS polls, unfairly.

Wouldn't an undefeated B1G Champion be 10-0, not 8-0?

Also, the BCS no longer exists.

Furthermore, as you will see on page 3, the PAC 12 is heading to conference games only as well.

That post, again:

Last edited:
What about a 10-0 B1G team? Right now sounds like they’re planning on a 10 game schedule.

As you can see in the orig post, a 10 game conference only schedule was first reported on June 17. Here we are, 22 days later. This is anything but new; they've been planning on this for a while.

From that June 17 report: Decisions are still a couple weeks away, but the momentum for conference-only schedules is real. Multiple sources have indicated the Big Ten is looking at the possibility of a 10-game, league-only slate.

Is there anything in the contracts to our non-conference opponents that will make us pay them for not playing due to the pandemic?
I'd hope but I was thinking of ISU and Nebraska having to pay their opponents two years ago when they had to cancel after kickoff. They replaced opponents with someone else and had to pay part of the fee. Maybe it was because the games actually started?
Honestly no idea but it would be extremely stupid for the small schools to push their luck. Yeah they could threaten legal action depending on the contract but that would be the last time a P5 would schedule them in anything and they’d lose a LOT more down the road.

As I stated in post #105 on Page 3, with the nonconference games being canceled, per the contracts, Iowa will not owe UNI and ISU anything.

Northern Illinois? Not sure at the moment.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
I could see adding Michigan and replacing PSU with Indiana if they try and keep things as geographic as possible. I bet there is a new schedule.
(The current plan) Same conference schedule plus one game.....michigan @ Iowa....I'm not making this up, speculating, guessing, etc. This is what is being reported....if the reporters got bad info then they are wrong....but don't over think it....

Last edited:
(The current plan) Same conference schedule plus one game.....michigan @ Iowa....I'm not making this up, speculating, guessing, etc. This is what is being reported....if the reporters got bad info then they are wrong....but don't over think it....

I think your mods probably got a good tip. On this site if Tom or Blair report something like that it usually ends up happening. Thanks for the info.

Spring games arent gonna happen either fall or no games....

We just played mi last year, that would be b2b years and 3rd in 5 years while playing IN and md once in 5 years?

That would make zero sense.....

Great ...smh
Can the schedule get any harder?
I am wondering if this (something similar) will be the new schedule. Or will they try to start on Sep 5, which gives them wiggle room if there are outbreaks?

Sep 19 vs Michigan
Sep 26 (was Sep 18) at Minnesota
Oct 3 vs Michigan State
Oct 10 at Ohio State
Oct 17 at Penn State
Oct 24 vs Northwestern (Homecoming)
Oct 31 BYE
Nov 7 at Illinois
Nov 14 vs Nebraska
Nov 21 at Purdue
Nov 28 vs Wisconsin

CANCELLED:

Sep 5 vs UNI
Sep 12 vs Iowa State
Sep 26 vs Northern Illinois

I am wondering if this (something similar) will be the new schedule. Or will they try to start on Sep 5, which gives them wiggle room if there are outbreaks?

Sep 19 vs Michigan
Sep 26 (was Sep 18) at Minnesota
Oct 3 vs Michigan State
Oct 10 at Ohio State
Oct 17 at Penn State
Oct 24 vs Northwestern (Homecoming)
Oct 31 BYE
Nov 7 at Illinois
Nov 14 vs Nebraska
Nov 21 at Purdue
Nov 28 vs Wisconsin

CANCELLED:

Sep 5 vs UNI
Sep 12 vs Iowa State
Sep 26 vs Northern Illinois
Plan is to start labor day weekend

Reactions: Franisdaman
Not a forfeit, its been removed from the schedule. Its a non event at this point. I can see clone fans taking this stance though, and years from now claiming that 2020 was the year they finally broke the streak..
The smiley face should have tipped you off, I think.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT