ADVERTISEMENT

B1G, SEC & PAC-12 will have 10-game, League-only Schedules. ACC? 10 +1; Big 12? 9+1

Yesterday it was reported that the PAC 12 would likely follow the B1G's lead and go conference games only.

Appears the ACC is heading in that direction as well.

Last edited:
Is there anything in the contracts to our non-conference opponents that will make us pay them for not playing due to the pandemic?
I'd hope but I was thinking of ISU and Nebraska having to pay their opponents two years ago when they had to cancel after kickoff. They replaced opponents with someone else and had to pay part of the fee. Maybe it was because the games actually started?

Looks like Northern Illinois (and other MAC schools) could sue based on this:

Lawsuits will be nothing and the Big 10 not the individual teams will cover the losses. Iowa didn’t cancel the games the conference did. So thankfully the wealthiest conference will throw the shekels at NIU, Bowling Green, etc. wouldn’t be surprised if the bear JP tries to get some money. I do think Barta tells JP the game next year is at Kinnick or series is done. They have no leverage so time to use our leverage. They do home and homes with MAC teams for God’s sake. We always can get a P5 home and home but ISU cannot. Time to pull the plug and stop bailing their pathetic ass out.

There is definitely going to be legal wrangling about the guarantee games.

They're selectively saying they can't play OOC games while they still can play conference games.

Welp, season probably won't happen so this will be moot in a short period of time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Franisdaman
So many people don’t get the leverage. The “guaranteed” games that are canceled will be paid off at a discount if at all by the Big 10. And not break a sweat. Do people really believe these MAC teams have the resources for a legal fight with the Big 10?! Um no. They will take cents on the dollar to get any revenue this year.

With the nonconference games being canceled, per the contracts, Iowa will not owe UNI and ISU anything.

Northern Illinois? Not sure at the moment.

Iowa would not owe ISU anything whether they played or not. The game is/was in Iowa City. Since it's a yearly series, there's never any money changing hands. Iowa keeps their TV money and ticket sales when it's in IC, ISU keeps it when it's in Ames. Kinda how home and homes work.

Lawsuits will be nothing and the Big 10 not the individual teams will cover the losses. Iowa didn’t cancel the games the conference did. So thankfully the wealthiest conference will throw the shekels at NIU, Bowling Green, etc. wouldn’t be surprised if the bear JP tries to get some money. I do think Barta tells JP the game next year is at Kinnick or series is done. They have no leverage so time to use our leverage. They do home and homes with MAC teams for God’s sake. We always can get a P5 home and home but ISU cannot. Time to pull the plug and stop bailing their pathetic ass out.

What possible stance could Pollard take to "try to get some money" from Iowa? They weren't getting any before this decision, so they're not really out anything other than scheduling another team...and that would probably be a road game anyway since that was what was planned. Probably doesn't matter, as I'm betting all conferences follow suit with the Big 10.

As far as having next year's game at Kinnick, that's ridiculous. The schedule is already set. Iowa has 7 home games scheduled, so does ISU. You just can't flip that with conference schedules already set up in advance. If Barta wants to try it, go ahead. But even I don't think he's that stupid. BTW, the B12 has a rule that you have to play at least 1 P5 team in the nonconference, so yes, they absolutely would be doing a home and home with another P5 if iowa wasn't on the schedule. Obviously, this year could/will be an exception, but they would have no problem getting a Mizzou, Nebraska, Minnesota, Colorado, Illinois to do a home and home if they had an opening.

The MAC loses 11 games vs. the Big Ten in 2020 and over $10.5M.

Bowling Green (2 games) was to be paid $2.2 million.

Central Michigan (2 games) was to be paid $2.15 million.

Iowa was set to pay Northern Illinois $1.15M. NIU was also scheduled to play Maryland.

Last edited:
Spec - love your optimism for ISU. You haven’t had a P5 home and home since the 90’s. I am sure all those teams are clamoring for Ames. Man the delusion. So gonna cancel the trips to Ohio U and UNLV and Akron to get real games? Um where was that the last 25 years. Cause everybody knows playing ISU is a lose lose. While I don’t think Barta will do it, anybody that doesn’t think Iowa holds all the cards on this game is either dumb or delusional. I mean come on buddy. If ISU loses Iowa they continue to drop regardless of whatever else happens. Maybe you are young, but ISU is absolutely irrelevant without Iowa. And it hasn’t and never will swing the other way. Reason it is a Hawkeye State.

Spec - have you ever been outside Story County? Seriously. ISU football is a joke. My gosh you had a coach win 5 games in 2 years and got a prime job in the SEC. Hell Herbie even said in support of Campbell and being a good coach “Well it is Iowa St.”. Without Iowa, ISU disappears.

There is definitely going to be legal wrangling about the guarantee games.

They're selectively saying they can't play OOC games while they still can play conference games.

Welp, season probably won't happen so this will be moot in a short period of time.

HP9F.gif

Reactions: ichawk24
The clones last P5 home and home was against Minnesota way back in 1997 I think. Due to proximity I've always thought Minnesota-ISU should be played in football more frequently. Given time it could become a rivalry. I don't know why both schools see that as anything but a positive.

Reactions: ichawk24
The clones last P5 home and home was against Minnesota way back in 1997 I think. Due to proximity I've always thought Minnesota-ISU should be played in football more frequently. Given time it could become a rivalry. I don't know why both schools see that as anything but a positive.

Well, the Big 12 has been playing 9 conference games longer than anyone. Does it really make sense to make the schedule tougher if you're ISU? Given their history, no it does not. Even with only one P5 nonconference on the schedule, they still routinely rank in the top 25 in SOS. How many P5 teams has Iowa played outside of ISU when they moved to 9 conference games?

Last edited:
Spec - love your optimism for ISU. You haven’t had a P5 home and home since the 90’s. I am sure all those teams are clamoring for Ames. Man the delusion. So gonna cancel the trips to Ohio U and UNLV and Akron to get real games? Um where was that the last 25 years. Cause everybody knows playing ISU is a lose lose. While I don’t think Barta will do it, anybody that doesn’t think Iowa holds all the cards on this game is either dumb or delusional. I mean come on buddy. If ISU loses Iowa they continue to drop regardless of whatever else happens. Maybe you are young, but ISU is absolutely irrelevant without Iowa. And it hasn’t and never will swing the other way. Reason it is a Hawkeye State.

I think you're an idiot. ISU is just fine without that game (and I actually hope it goes away for good if that means anything). They don't need iowa to sell season tickets, that's proven. They don't need iowa for any kind of relevance, they have conference games for that. If ISU had an opening and wanted to do it, they'd find a P5 that would do a home and home. As much as you want to say it's a lose-lose, that's just wishful thinking on your part. No, they're not getting ND or Clemson or Miami to come to Ames, but they could easily get a Minnesota, IL, Mizzou, Oregon St, Nebraska, among many others looking for a home and home. Hell, KSU had Miss St did a home and home and the SEC is always looking for opponents given they only play 8 conference games. With ISU's history, I'm sure all of those teams would view it as an easy two wins. Unfortunately for them (and you), ISU is a lot better than their history or national perception.

Spec - opinions vary on me but actually pretty smart. I will leave it at this. 3 words one sentence. Proof and pudding. When it comes to teams ISU can play in home and home P5. Um why is ISU going to frickin Ohio, Akron, UNLV if all these other schools ate begging to come to Ames. Dude u young or dumb (or both). ISU hasn’t had anyone since the 90’s. And are still traveling to Athens (not Georgia, Ohio) for games. Just stop. ISU is totally irrelevant so no if all the teams you mentioned wanted games it would be done as Pollard will do anything for pub. Bye bye spec u and ISU are done.

Well, the Big 12 has been playing 9 conference games longer than anyone. Does it really make sense to make the schedule tougher if you're ISU? Given their history, no it does not. Even with only one P5 nonconference on the schedule, they still routinely rank in the top 25 in SOS. How many P5 teams has Iowa played outside of ISU when they moved to 9 conference games?

Iowa has won the last five against Minnesota, if that's what you mean by "tougher."

Back in 1997, when the clowns played a home and home other than Iowa, Minny romped 53-29. That stopped more than one P5 opponent on the schedule. Ronald McDonald U needs Iowa to be recognized, but beyond that they are frightened. , ,

Spec - which is worse, the idiot troll Twins on CF saying he doesn’t follow this board? Which nobody believes. Or him cutting and pasting what I say which purposefully either misspells a word or has a clear grammar error so when he puts it on CF we all know where it came from. Wow are Clowns losers. Twins - I do this on purpose to make you the loser u r.

(The current plan) Same conference schedule plus one game.....michigan @ Iowa....I'm not making this up, speculating, guessing, etc. This is what is being reported....if the reporters got bad info then they are wrong....but don't over think it....

I posted that thought early on based on some of their reasoning and had seen some speculation. I saw an extended explanation today. Thanks for the heads up

Iowa was paying UNI $650,000 for the game, Northern Illinois $1.15 million and ISU gets some gate revenue if I am not mistaken. That’s a question for the Iowa media guys to answer but there is no way this game is played w/o gate going to both schools, more so, to help ISU since they don’t have the revenue stream and profit margin the U of I does.

As I have stated several times in this thread, Scott Dochterman of the Athletic has stated that Iowa will owe UNI & ISU nothing. You are mistaken about the ISU game gate revenue (again, ISU gets none).

Scott was not sure what will happen with Iowa's MAC opponent (Northern Illinois).

So, the Iowa media guys have answered, per your request. ;)

Also, as stated in a post above, here is the hit that the MAC is taking:

The MAC loses 11 games vs. the Big Ten in 2020 and over $10.5 million.

Iowa was set to pay Northern Illinois $1.15 million. NIU was also scheduled to play Maryland.

Last edited:
As I have stated several times in this thread, Scott Dochterman of the Athletic has stated that Iowa will owe UNI & ISU nothing. You are mistaken about the ISU game gate revenue (again, ISU gets none).

Scott was not sure what will happen with Iowa's MAC opponent (Northern Illinois).

So, the Iowa media guys have answered, per your request. ;)

Also, as stated in a post above, here is the hit that the MAC is taking:

The MAC loses 11 games vs. the Big Ten in 2020 and over $10.5 million.

Iowa was set to pay Northern Illinois $1.15 million. NIU was also scheduled to play Maryland.

Thanks Fran, I mean media guy! Didn’t know Barta reworked the gate revenue in the new contract since ISU basically gives season tickets away to get their numbers. Good job out of Barta but he’s had a few years to compare both gate revenues and it probably isn’t even close in comparison. Do you happen to know that?

Comparing Iowa and ISU revenue is apples to oranges. Pollard runs that program hand to mouth. He tries to pee in the tall grass when he can’t.

Thanks Fran, I mean media guy! Didn’t know Barta reworked the gate revenue in the new contract since ISU basically gives season tickets away to get their numbers. Good job out of Barta but he’s had a few years to compare both gate revenues and it probably isn’t even close in comparison. Do you happen to know that?
2019 Iowa Football ONLY Ticket Revenue was $22.3M; not sure what Iowa State's was.

However, for FY 2018:

Total ISU Ticket sales (includes football, mens & women's basketball, wrestling, etc):
$15,894,160

Source: https://localtvwqad.files.wordpress.com/2019/09/fy18-revenue-expense.pdf

Total IOWA Ticket sales (includes football, mens & women's basketball, wrestling, etc):
$25,277,431

Source: https://localtvwqad.files.wordpress.com/2019/09/iowa.pdf

Here is a story & video from Sep 11, 2019 showing the big differences between Iowa's & ISU's revenues:
https://www.wqad.com/article/sports/iowa-vs-iowa-state-football-which-team-pulls-in-more-profit-for-the-school/526-b9adf767-863e-4803-a5f1-5474ff4e8d78

The whole this is a cluster-fock and at this point I give it a 0.05% chance there is any college football played this year

As I've said for months now, if the stipulation for playing college fB is that there are no new cases then we aren't getting any FB, and no anything else at all. I won't share the seriology data, which shows that prevalance is much higher than what has been confirmed by data and our own CDC estimates the fatality rate at about 0.26%. And those 24 and under are more likely to die of a car accident than COVID. But it doesn't matter. People have made up their minds, including those who make the decisions.

We'll magically get sports back on Nov. 4, the day after Biden is elected.

Story from ESPN:

What will the season look like for the Pac-12 and Big Ten?

For the Pac-12, it will be delayed.

One of the reasons the conference decided to push back the start of the football season was a concern that UCLA and USC would not be ready to play in early September because of coronavirus cases in the Los Angeles area, sources told ESPN.

Big Ten officials, meanwhile, are still considering the possibility of moving its division games to the front of the schedule, in case the season is interrupted by the coronavirus. That way, it might still be able to determine a championship through division winning percentage in spite of an incomplete season.

Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith is still hoping for a full, 10-game conference schedule.

"I'm hopeful that that's where we end up next week in locking that down," he said. "We've talked about that, and that's our preference."

"We have not delved deep into those details yet," Smith added. "I anticipate next week we'll get into the details of how our schedules will work."

Smith also said if teams are able to play in September but something happens later in the month or in October, "we can hit the pause button and provide a window of opportunity for our student-athletes not to be put at risk. We can move games. ... There's a flexibility, I can't say that enough, that's significant."

Get used to it. If there is going to be a season this year, every option needs to be on the table.

Are the ACC, Big 12 and SEC going to follow suit? If so, when?

It seems to be trending that way.

What does this mean for the College Football Playoff and bowl games?

CFP executive director Bill Hancock has told ESPN that the playoff will be ready for "whatever comes down." As for the overall bowl system, the immediate impact is unknown. It depends in part on what the other conferences decide. If the other Power 5 conferences follow the Big Ten's lead and play only conference games, overall league depth will be the most significant factor in the eyes of the CFP selection committee. Teams from top-heavy leagues and divisions might have more trouble since they won't have the opportunity to secure big nonconference victories, particularly if they stumble in conference play.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29442565/what-do-pac-12-big-ten-decisions-mean-college-football

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT