ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Seed Predictions

Cruo

HR MVP
Jul 12, 2004
What are your thoughts? My uneducated guess (in order 1-8, beyond that I am even more clueless):

• Suriano
  • Hildebrandt
  • Barnett
  • Heinselman
  • Ayala
  • Schroder
  • DeAugustino
  • McKee
  • RBY
  • DeSanto
  • Byrd
  • Foley
  • Ragusin
  • Hudkins
  • Cannon
  • Ramos
  • Lee
  • Eierman
  • Rivera
  • Red
  • Bergeland
  • Micic
  • D’Emilio
  • Tal’Shahar
  • Sasso
  • Gomez
  • Lovett
  • Murin
  • Van Brill
  • Thomas
  • Bartlett
  • Kanzler
  • Deakin
  • Young
  • Lewan
  • Saldate
  • Coleman
  • Robb
  • Model
  • Kanniard
  • Kharchla
  • Marinelli
  • Hamiti
  • Amine
  • Fish
  • Lohrey
  • Braunugel
  • Edsell
  • Starocci
  • Massa
  • Labriola
  • Kemerer
  • Smith
  • O’reilly
  • Nijenhuis
  • McNally
  • Brooks
  • Amine
  • Romero
  • Venz
  • Assad
  • Malczewski
  • Cochrane
  • Poznanski
  • Schultz
  • Caffey
  • Dean
  • Warner
  • Brucki
  • Bulsak
  • Penola
  • Hoffman
  • Steveson
  • Cassioppi
  • Kerkvliet
  • Parris
  • Davison
  • Hillger
  • Orndorff
  • Lance

What are your thoughts? My uneducated guess (in order 1-8, beyond that I am even more clueless):

• Suriano
  • Hildebrandt
  • Barnett
  • Heinselman
  • Ayala
  • Schroder
  • DeAugustino
  • McKee
  • RBY
  • DeSanto
  • Byrd
  • Foley
  • Ragusin
  • Hudkins
  • Cannon
  • Ramos
  • Lee
  • Eierman
  • Rivera
  • Red
  • Bergeland
  • Micic
  • D’Emilio
  • Tal’Shahar
  • Sasso
  • Gomez
  • Lovett
  • Murin
  • Van Brill
  • Thomas
  • Bartlett
  • Kanzler
  • Deakin
  • Young
  • Lewan
  • Saldate
  • Coleman
  • Robb
  • Model
  • Kanniard
  • Kharchla
  • Marinelli
  • Hamiti
  • Amine
  • Fish
  • Lohrey
  • Braunugel
  • Edsell
  • Starocci
  • Massa
  • Labriola
  • Kemerer
  • Smith
  • O’reilly
  • Nijenhuis
  • McNally
  • Brooks
  • Amine
  • Romero
  • Venz
  • Assad
  • Malczewski
  • Cochrane
  • Poznanski
  • Schultz
  • Caffey
  • Dean
  • Warner
  • Brucki
  • Bulsak
  • Penola
  • Hoffman
  • Steveson
  • Cassioppi
  • Kerkvliet
  • Parris
  • Davison
  • Hillger
  • Orndorff
  • Lance
Good list. I would have a couple of changes at 157, 184, and hwt

• Deakin
  • Young
  • Lewan
  • Robb
  • Coleman
  • Saldate
  • Model
  • Kanniard
  • Brooks
  • Amine
  • Romero
  • Venz
  • Malczewski
  • Cochrane
  • Washington
  • Poznanski
  • Steveson
  • Cassioppi
  • Kerkvliet
  • Parris
  • Davison
  • Lance
  • Hilger
  • Orndorff

• Suriano
  • Hildebrandt
  • Barnett
  • Heinselman
  • Ayala
  • Schroder
  • DeAugustino
  • McKee
  • RBY
  • DeSanto
  • Byrd
  • Foley
  • Ragusin
  • Hudkins
  • Cannon
  • Ramos
  • Lee
  • Eierman
  • Rivera
  • Red
  • Bergeland
  • Micic
  • D’Emilio
  • Tal’Shahar
  • Sasso
  • Gomez
  • Lovett
  • Murin
  • Van Brill
  • Thomas
  • Bartlett
  • Kanzler
  • Deakin
  • Young
  • Lewan
  • Saldate
  • Coleman
  • Robb
  • Model
  • Kanniard
  • Kharchla
  • Marinelli
  • Hamiti
  • Amine
  • Fish
  • Lohrey
  • Braunugel
  • Edsell
  • Starocci
  • Massa
  • Labriola
  • Kemerer
  • Smith
  • O’reilly
  • Nijenhuis
  • McNally
  • Brooks
  • Amine
  • Romero
  • Venz
  • Assad
  • Malczewski
  • Cochrane
  • Poznanski
  • Schultz
  • Caffey
  • Dean
  • Warner
  • Brucki
  • Bulsak
  • Penola
  • Hoffman
  • Steveson
  • Cassioppi
  • Kerkvliet
  • Parris
  • Davison
  • Hillger
  • Orndorff
  • Lance
Most likely Eierman will be the 3 seed and Rivera the 2 since Rivera is undefeated. Actually helps if Eierman can get bonus against the 14 seed. The one and two seeds gets byes in the first round.

“Ducking”
Exactly. Murin was already behind Gomez and Lovett. He had nothing to lose and everything to gain by wrestling them. If he didn't wrestle to protect a seed, it would be Gomez or Lovett's seed he would be protecting????! I think he beats both of them at B10's as well. We will find out unless he never meets up with either one.

If it wasn’t to protect a seed (MVB is 7-2 in B1G duals) or his record (over 0.700 without those matches; under 0.700 if he had wrestled and lost both), then what was the reason? Is he banged up? Is the weight still undecided? When Turk wrestled Gomez, I thought it was a nice gesture on senior day. But why Lovett too?

“Ducking”

I'm not privy to the behind the scenes situation but as I said last night having Turk go against 2 higher ranked Big10 foes while Murin went against Okie was a bad look.

Murin beats both IMO and solidifies himself as a top 6 seed at NCAAs. Barring an injury I don't see what the point of wrestling Turk was...especially if he was healthy enough to wrestle against and control Gfeller.

The more I consider it, the more I wonder if 149 is undecided. Could Turk have won a wrestle off? I don’t see any big advantages to Murin sitting out Northwestern and Nebraska. His Big Ten seed is 4th instead of 5th, so that’s not it. His record drops under 0.700 but he’s an at-large on RPI and Coach’s ranking regardless. As some have pointed out, there was more to gain with a win or two than there was to lose with two losses. So it’s something else. He’s banged up, is struggling to make weight Or it’s undecided. Nothing else makes sense, IMO.

If it wasn’t to protect a seed (MVB is 7-2 in B1G duals) or his record (over 0.700 without those matches; under 0.700 if he had wrestled and lost both), then what was the reason? Is he banged up? Is the weight still undecided? When Turk wrestled Gomez, I thought it was a nice gesture on senior day. But why Lovett too?
It was mentioned a starter would likely be out for the Nebraska match last week in order to rest a nagging injury. It wasn't in reference to Kem.

The more I consider it, the more I wonder if 149 is undecided. Could Turk have won a wrestle off? I don’t see any big advantages to Murin sitting out Northwestern and Nebraska. His Big Ten seed is 4th instead of 5th, so that’s not it. His record drops under 0.700 but he’s an at-large on RPI and Coach’s ranking regardless. As some have pointed out, there was more to gain with a win or two than there was to lose with two losses. So it’s something else. He’s banged up, is struggling to make weight Or it’s undecided. Nothing else makes sense, IMO.
Murin is trending up while Turk is just Turk.

Murins style puts him in every match. One of these times he’s gonna get one of the top guys. Wouldn’t mind if it was sasso
Maybe Brands would then Med Forf. Since it doesn't count as a loss it could get him a higher NCAA seed.

Most likely Eierman will be the 3 seed and Rivera the 2 since Rivera is undefeated. Actually helps if Eierman can get bonus against the 14 seed. The one and two seeds gets byes in the first round.
Doesn’t matter. Riveria is hurt!!!

"Max has nothing to lose (seeding wise) by wrestling Lovett!!"

In your guys' head, Tom and Terry must be idiots because it was clear Max had nothing to lose by wrestling those matches.

In my head, Tom and Terry must have a pretty damn important reason why Max couldn't or shouldn't wrestle. You think they don't realize those matches would be in Max's favor to wrestle and win?

Good grief.

Rivera hurt his knee Friday night against Princeton. Sat out against Columbia on Saturday and according to reports he was noticeably limping. Hasn’t been ruled out of post season. If he can’t go he will take the mat and injury default twice at Big 10’s so he can get an at large bid to NCAA’s

From an article on NJ.com

Sebastian Rivera (knee): Rivera was in street clothes for the Columbia match after suffering his injury Friday against Princeton. He was walking with a noticeable limp, but all indications are the national title contender and No. 3-ranked 141-pounder will continue his season.

“Seb is going to wrestle, regardless,” Goodale said. “We’ve got to get him ready to win a national title. That’s our job as a coaching staff, training staff, strength and conditioning. We’ll put a lot of effort into doing that.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Thanks for the breakdown on seedlings!
When do the official seedlings come out? This week or next?

Rivera hurt his knee Friday night against Princeton. Sat out against Columbia on Saturday and according to reports he was noticeably limping. Hasn’t been ruled out of post season. If he can’t go he will take the mat and injury default twice at Big 10’s so he can get an at large bid to NCAA’s

From an article on NJ.com

Sebastian Rivera (knee): Rivera was in street clothes for the Columbia match after suffering his injury Friday against Princeton. He was walking with a noticeable limp, but all indications are the national title contender and No. 3-ranked 141-pounder will continue his season.

“Seb is going to wrestle, regardless,” Goodale said. “We’ve got to get him ready to win a national title. That’s our job as a coaching staff, training staff, strength and conditioning. We’ll put a lot of effort into doing that.
Worse than that from what is being said. Shoulder is a problem right now!!!

Yes, yes. Penn state never ducks. What happened with starcrotch missing his big showdown? Or dean when they sent out beard. Are they hurt and on the mend or ducking? And then answer me this, why would Murin wrestle sasso only to duck Gomez and Lovett? Makes no sense. But hey, Iowa ducks and psu guys are just hurt for a week. Awesome.

Yes, yes. Penn state never ducks. What happened with starcrotch missing his big showdown? Or dean when they sent out beard. Are they hurt and on the mend or ducking? And then answer me this, why would Murin wrestle sasso only to duck Gomez and Lovett? Makes no sense. But hey, Iowa ducks and psu guys are just hurt for a week. Awesome.
I missed the part where you offered a reason for why he didn’t wrestle and you missed the post where I said it wasn’t ducking. So I’m still wondering if he’s banged up, struggling with weight or if Turk is challenging to be the starter.

Since there was zero seeding advantage to not wrestling Murin, it therefore must be injury related. That decision is easier to make when it gives the senior Turk (who came back to wrestle), a last opportunity.

In 2019 there were a couple of brackets where the #1 & #2 seeds didn’t get byes. In 2020 &2021 all #1 & #2 seeds received byes. Is it a rule now where the top two seeds get the byes? Just curious.

They used to only seed to 14 if the weight had 8+ allocations (as one of the at-large criteria is placing one away from AQ) but they did change it a few years ago so that all weights are seeded to 14. This means that all 1&2 seeds get 1st round byes.

ADVERTISEMENT