ADVERTISEMENT

B1G To Start Thanksgiving Weekend Now?

Realizing they f cked it up by delaying to spring, and now walking it back. October start date will be announced next week...

The real problem is they should habe moved the season up, before everyone else got back to campus and flu season hit. Should be 3 games into the season by this weekend...

Reactions: hawkosx
🤣 you seem worked up.

Kim Reynolds’ actions have had more impact on my personal businesses being shut down than any democrat has. Why would I believe it’s a democratic conspiracy when it’s been republicans in Iowa who have exerted control over my day to day life and businesses in Iowa?

You should try Illinois then.

Reactions: SDHN2013
What a bunch of ****ing idiots. There is going to be zero difference between starting in Sept vs Thanksgiving when it comes potentially getting the virus. Kevin Warren is totally incompetent.

So if they start on Thanksgiving, are they still essentially playing for nothing in terms of playoffs and bowl games?

I do not own bars. I am not currently shut down but my businesses were shut down for over 2 months by Kim Reynolds' signature (we are also operating under the assumption that we will get shut down again and conserving as much cash as we can for that eventuality). I am of the opinion that both sides believe this is a big deal- as shown by Governor Reynolds having no hesitation extending her emergency proclamation (currently extended through 9/20) that extends her dozens of new rules and regulations that she placed on our businesses without the legislature's approval, in addition to her shutting down bars. The same policies were enacted by republican governors in Florida and Texas. If Republicans really believed this were a democratic hoax, then why would any of them care about shutting down bars or lengthening emergency declarations? Republican governors knows this is a big deal but they are playing politics the same way the democrats are. She has to pretend that it is not a big deal because her voters want her to pretend that it is a hoax. At the end of the day, when cases spike, then republicans react by shutting things down too.

At this point, I'm just along for the ride. I'm not blaming democrats or republicans. I don't think that this is a hoax. I don't think everyone should stay locked at home until there is a vaccine. I think both sides are playing politics because they are politicians and they are trying to stay in power. Both sides are also stoking the paranoia and irrational beliefs of their own bases and that is why we are in the ridiculous situation that our country is in with regards to covid. If we'd all just swallow our own pride, wear a mask, and not insist that every darn thing should be closed indefinitely until there is no risk of infection, then we would probably be past this whole darn thing by now. There's a middle ground between "this is a hoax" and "we're all gonna die" that people really don't seem capable of understanding- even though this is probably the most logical place for us all to be operating.
Agree with you. We all want to be black and white, in a very very gray world.

Reactions: BettDogs7
Whether you think we should play or not, I can't understand why you don't see the political angle of all of this. Look at it from the other side if that helps. You could make the argument that the decision to play was political in support of the President. Look at a political map, then look at who is playing football and who isn't. And then try to make the argument politics aren't involved. Good luck.
I would agree that it’s political. I think that’s the number one problem how a public health and safety issue like this became political....and medical experts like Dr Fauci became demonized somehow....despite being recognized in the field for decades and respected by past presidents of both parties....

You’re dang right it’s political and it disgusts me...

Reactions: LinusPF
What they ought to do is use the new testing capabilities as a CYA excuse for their massive incompetence eariler in the month, and announce it is the reason practice can begin next week, with a season starting the last weekend in September.

Exactly. That is all they have to do. Say with the new testing available now that we feel more comfortable we can protect our student athletes and have decided to begin competition the first week of October.

What a bunch of ****ing idiots. There is going to be zero difference between starting in Sept vs Thanksgiving when it comes potentially getting the virus. Kevin Warren is totally incompetent.

So if they start on Thanksgiving, are they still essentially playing for nothing in terms of playoffs and bowl games?
I 100% agree with this. What’s the point if you’re going to start at Thanksgiving.

Reactions: Kurt Warner
Exactly. That is all they have to do. Say with the new testing available now that we feel more comfortable we can protect our student athletes and have decided to begin competition the first week of October.

There are actually some rumors out there claiming the B1G coaches and AD's are pushing for a mid-Oct. start. Not saying that will come to fruition, but the conference desperately needs a way out of this disaster, and the sooner they reverse course the better.

Reactions: unclesammy
I would agree that it’s political. I think that’s the number one problem how a public health and safety issue like this became political....and medical experts like Dr Fauci became demonized somehow....despite being recognized in the field for decades and respected by past presidents of both parties....

You’re dang right it’s political and it disgusts me...

It's pretty easy to see how this became political. Two words. Force and coercion.

I get advice from doctors, lawyers, auto mechanics, and all kinds of other experts in their own fields all the time. But a politician doesn't force me to follow their advice. I frequently do of my own volition, but there are times I don't. And in all cases, I get to decide, not them.

But any time force and coercion becomes part of the mix, it's already become political. Those who instituted the force and coercion made it political.

Reactions: Legs94
There are actually some rumors out there claiming the B1G coaches and AD's are pushing for a mid-Oct. start. Not saying that will come to fruition, but the conference desperately needs a way out of this disaster, and the sooner they reverse course the better.

That can't happen, because 2020. It's interesting how fast the narrative changed once the other conferences didn't fold right after the Big 10 and Pac-12 did. Even if the conferences are not able to play as it gets to mid-September and for whatever reason games can't be played safely, no one is going to be mad at the leagues because the shut down at that time. They gave it a go, and it didn't work. But if it DOES work, then it sets the Big 10 back significantly. The coaches know this, it's why they are pushing so hard to play.

I don’t know if this would have anything to do with it. My kid goes to Iowa and they are going home at Thanksgiving break and not coming back till after the first of the year. Are other BIG schools doing this as well?

They can still save face and in fact "own the room" if they would do what they know they should. Basically, they tried to kill each athletic departments budget, recruiting, and a chance to compete for a championship against the other conferences. Nice work BIG10

When will the other conferences end their season? This might actually be a great move as far as TV viewership goes.

y’all are complaining, and this dude is out here playing 4D chess.

Yeah, and Iowa had to cut four programs to potentially move the football season up 2 months. Beyond stupid.

Have you all figured out yet that it was not Warren making the decision???????? Its the damn U Presidents. He ain't throwing them under the bus, but it is them, not him. And in some states those Presidents likely had some talks with their governors.

Have you all figured out yet that it was not Warren making the decision???????? Its the damn U Presidents. He ain't throwing them under the bus, but it is them, not him. And in some states those Presidents likely had some talks with their governors.
Warren didn't make the decision directly, but he did essentially make it for them by sitting on his ass for 6 months without putting even some semblance of a plan together.

THAT'S why people want his ass. If I did ****-all to prepare for my job for 6 months then called out for vacation before I even start I'd be fired, but Warren was expecting people to bend over and kiss his ass for being "brave".

Reactions: Pete in LA

It's very unlikely it was the Presidents. When you're the chief executive of a large organization, and you hire senior lieutenants with specific areas of expertise, and pay them substantial compensation, that's not done so they can be secretaries. It's done so they can make the decisions they were hired to make.

Warren was the one who directed the ship right into the iceberg. If it wasn't, the Presidents would have have uniformly rallied around him, and come to his defense by now.

Whether you think we should play or not, I can't understand why you don't see the political angle of all of this. Look at it from the other side if that helps. You could make the argument that the decision to play was political in support of the President. Look at a political map, then look at who is playing football and who isn't. And then try to make the argument politics aren't involved. Good luck.

I mean, you can say that it is political in the sense that liberals generally are more cautious about COVID, whereas conservatives tend to want to go about life as usual. In that sense, it is no surprise that the conferences still playing are generally based in the South. But any notion that this has anything to do with the President or the election in November is abjectly absurd and delusional.

Reactions: HFan1981
End of the day what does 6 weeks matter and not playing early October? I guess thanksgiving better than the other alternatives but even with good news still exposes the incompetence of Warren as a leader.

End of the day what does 6 weeks matter and not playing early October? I guess thanksgiving better than the other alternatives but even with good news still exposes the incompetence of Warren as a leader.

I assume the thought is that other students will not be on campus after Thanksgiving break. That allows the schools to create a bubble-like environment for the players.

I mean, you can say that it is political in the sense that liberals generally are more cautious about COVID, whereas conservatives tend to want to go about life as usual. In that sense, it is no surprise that the conferences still playing are generally based in the South. But any notion that this has anything to do with the President or the election in November is abjectly absurd and delusional.
Did you see the Biden ad saying that we aren't playing sports because of Trump???? Oh but I'M delusional. Okay.

Did you see the Biden ad saying that we aren't playing sports because of Trump???? Oh but I'M delusional. Okay.

So you think the Big Ten and PAC 12 schools agreed to forgo hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue, reduce the salaries of their own presidents, athletic directors and coaches, cut other non-revenue producing sports, and endanger the schools’ entire athletic programs, all so they could stick it to Donald Trump? If you think the answer to this is yes - then yes, you are delusional.

Biden running an ad doesn’t mean that the decision that the universities/Big Ten made is political. It means that Joe Biden is exploiting the situation for his own political benefit. Because that is what politicians do. Good grief.

Reactions: Twoooooooo
So you think the Big Ten and PAC 12 schools agreed to forgo hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue, reduce the salaries of their own presidents, athletic directors and coaches, cut other non-revenue producing sports, and endanger the schools’ entire athletic programs, all so they could stick it to Donald Trump? If you think the answer to this is yes - then yes, you are delusional.

Biden running an ad doesn’t mean that the decision that the universities/Big Ten made is political. It means that Joe Biden is exploiting the situation for his own political benefit. Because that is what politicians do. Good grief.
I should just go back and find what I posted in the past to explain this. Do I think that it's a hoax or a scheme to lose a bunch of money and not play football? Not necessarily. Although, it looks more and more shady every day. But what I do think, is that many people are so desperate to get Trump out that they drive the narrative of fear and mishandling of the pandemic by the current administration. They see the world as a mess, and no other option than to shut down as much as possible. And they refuse to look reasonably at any other options.
I also think if this happened during Obama's administration we wouldn't have locked down the way we did this year. I mean H1N1 infected 60 million people and we are like, meh, whatever, it sucks but we'll live. I get be super cautious in the beginning, but we have the data now, let's stop acting like 20 year olds are in jeopardy of dying. protect those most at risk, and get back to life.

I 100% agree with this. What’s the point if you’re going to start at Thanksgiving.

About 2 1/2 months of time??? Rapid testing should be available by then for beyond government use. and there will be a crap ton of lessons learned from the teams going in September.

I should just go back and find what I posted in the past to explain this. Do I think that it's a hoax or a scheme to lose a bunch of money and not play football? Not necessarily. Although, it looks more and more shady every day. But what I do think, is that many people are so desperate to get Trump out that they drive the narrative of fear and mishandling of the pandemic by the current administration. They see the world as a mess, and no other option than to shut down as much as possible. And they refuse to look reasonably at any other options.
I also think if this happened during Obama's administration we wouldn't have locked down the way we did this year. I mean H1N1 infected 60 million people and we are like, meh, whatever, it sucks but we'll live. I get be super cautious in the beginning, but we have the data now, let's stop acting like 20 year olds are in jeopardy of dying. protect those most at risk, and get back to life.

H1N1 killed 12,000 people over a one-year period. COVID-19 has killed 180,000+ in five months. Trying to compare the two situations is laughable.

Reactions: TouchdownMyPants

Yeah old Joe would have us locked down for months but suuuuurrreee there would have magically been sports. Dufus didn't even want travel bans last spring. Someone needs to up his dementia meds.

Joe has been saying for a couple months there should be an enforceable nationwide mask mandate and just now Kamala is out saying.......Noooo there won't be a nationwide mask mandate as it would not be enforced. These are the people that have a clue???????????

Yeah old Joe would have us locked down for months but suuuuurrreee there would have magically been sports. Dufus didn't even want travel bans last spring. Someone needs to up his dementia meds.

Joe has been saying for a couple months there should be an enforceable nationwide mask mandate and just now Kamala is out saying.......Noooo there won't be a nationwide mask mandate as it would not be enforced. These are the people that have a clue???????????

German & French soccer, two countries run by liberal heads of state, were able to play months before the US kicked off any team sports. I think people are thinking wayyyyy too much about this as a political play because it is an election year and both political parties are full of scum bags who are willing to politicize anything. Biden is using it as a device to show that Trump is inept, Trump is saying it’s the liberals and protests that are driving the spread, but it is really about our culture of litigation and fear of being sued.

Has Sir Yacht given his blessing to this latest rumor? I remember when he was the pipeline of inside news.

That's the problem just about anybody, some guy at the bar, anyone with a twitter account claiming reporter credentials and pretending to have a credible inside source can send a tweet claiming just about anything and it will get dozens of posts within a couple of hours accepting it as fact. For some reason, FBnBB4Life knows everyone of them. This rumor was brought to us FBnBB4Life via twitter user "Saturday Tradition".... not quite as flamboyant as Sir Yacht but he's dishing candy.

BTN reporter Nicole Auerbach tweeting this afternoon her source says the presidents made it clear it was a final decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawkcub
H1N1 killed 12,000 people over a one-year period. COVID-19 has killed 180,000+ in five months. Trying to compare the two situations is laughable.
Maybe a stretch to compare the 2 BUT this has been tracked a lot more closely, and people argue that the Covid death numbers have been severely inflated. If you die in a car crash and have Covid, it’s counted as a Covid death. Okay maybe not really but some people make that claim.

When will the other conferences end their season? This might actually be a great move as far as TV viewership goes.

y’all are complaining, and this dude is out here playing 4D chess.

+10000000

These dudes have been b***ing and whining all week and complain like a 14 year old. This guy was a NFL exec. The man knows how to make money

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe a stretch to compare the 2 BUT this has been tracked a lot more closely, and people argue that the Covid death numbers have been severely inflated. If you die in a car crash and have Covid, it’s counted as a Covid death. Okay maybe not really but some people make that claim.

yes we won't know for years what the real numbers are. In Arizona, anyone who tests positive for COVID within 60 days of death is counted as a COVID death. It's insane.

These far right proud boy trolls are so mad that hes black they have demonized him for the last 2 weeks for a decision the white Big 10 presidents made.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT