ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Top 25 Players

HawkAssassin

HR MVP
Jun 24, 2016
Iowa
tie at 25. Davis (indiana) and Watson (Penn State)
24. Simmons (Michigan)
23. C Edwards (Purdue)
22. Carr (Penn State)
21. Lynch (Minnesota)
20. Tate (Ohio State)
19. Mathias (Purdue)
18. Watson (Nebraska)
17. Cook (Iowa)
16. Jackson (Michigan State)
15. Murphy (Minnesota)
14. Winston (Michigan State)
13. Johnson (Indiana)
12. Lindsey (Northwestern)
11. Huerter (Maryland)
10. Haas (Purdue)
9. Jackson (Maryland)
8. Ward (Michigan State)
7. Coffey (Minnesota)
6. McIntosh (Northwestern)
5. Mason (Minnesota)
4. V Edwards (Purdue)
3. Wagner (Michigan)
2. Happ (Wisconsin)
1. Bridges (Michigan State)

Team Breakdown
Michigan State - 4
Minnesota - 4
Purdue - 4
Indiana - 2
Maryland - 2
Michigan - 2
Northwestern - 2
Penn State - 2
Iowa -1
Nebraska - 1
Ohio State - 1
Wisconsin - 1
Illinois - 0
Rutgers - 0

http://www.insidethehall.com/2017/08/04/big-tens-top-25-players-2017-18-5-1/

As much as I love Baer, he seems to be streaky. Seems some games he is 4/5 from three and then the next game 0/7. I don't know his overall percentage, but I would guess 37 or less. I don't think that would rate in the top 25. Remember these are guys that should average in the top 2 for each team. I don't think Baer is top 2 at Iowa.

Haas at 10 ? He's the 10th best player in the B1G? This league is down then.
I also noticed that mistake. Haas would be one of the guys I might take out of the top 25 if I were ranking, and they have him at 10. He is an impressive specimen, but not so much a basketball player.

You have to pay attention to more than just shooting to appreciate just how valuable Baer is to a team.

Reactions: iarick and And1Hawk
I also noticed that mistake. Haas would be one of the guys I might take out of the top 25 if I were ranking, and they have him at 10. He is an impressive specimen, but not so much a basketball player.

You have to pay attention to more than just shooting to appreciate just how valuable Baer is to a team.
There was an article this spring about an analytics tool that measured Baer as the second most productive player in the league.

Is that true? If it is, I take back my complaint.

No. Just an attempt to alleviate some of the dread.

These things should not be taken seriously. A preseason poll? Before a game has been played? Cook garnering the top "honor" for the Hawks? He's got a lot of potential and that's what they're basing that on. JBo was the guy we couldn't have lost last year.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
I see Iowa in a similar position as Minnesota last year. Lots of young talent and should make the tournament. 2018-19 should be really good.

I don't know how anyone could think Baer is not in the Top 2 at Iowa. If you look at his all-around game ... he certainly is in the Top 2.

Cook needs to defend the rim and get a few more rebounds, IMHO.

Quick: there is a loose ball on the floor! Who gets to it? Baer is the best at that underrated stat. Only Ryan Bowen is comparable that I can remember. He out-rebounds our "bigs" regularly and has more assists than any of them.

I remember one play toward the end of the year when we were fighting to get in the NCAAs. One of our other players rises to take a shot. Baer is outside the 3-point line our nearest where Dolph and Bobby sit. As the ball is in the air, he slices past the defense, cuts across the lane to get the rebound down at about the block on the OTHER SIDE of the lane for an offensive rebound and a put-back.

Anyone else give that kind of effort on this team?

I don't know how anyone could think Baer is not in the Top 2 at Iowa. If you look at his all-around game ... he certainly is in the Top 2.

Cook needs to defend the rim and get a few more rebounds, IMHO.

Quick: there is a loose ball on the floor! Who gets to it? Baer is the best at that underrated stat. Only Ryan Bowen is comparable that I can remember. He out-rebounds our "bigs" regularly and has more assists than any of them.

I remember one play toward the end of the year when we were fighting to get in the NCAAs. One of our other players rises to take a shot. Baer is outside the 3-point line our nearest where Dolph and Bobby sit. As the ball is in the air, he slices past the defense, cuts across the lane to get the rebound down at about the block on the OTHER SIDE of the lane for an offensive rebound and a put-back.

Anyone else give that kind of effort on this team?

Effort is part of it. And then there is that uncanny ability to know where the ball will bounce off the rim. I've never seen anything like it...not that I recall.

Ryan Bowen is a good comparison to Baer. Bowen was a little stronger, but Baer has more offensive game. Both have great BB IQ, court awareness, and anticipation, beyond what you can teach. Both give 100%, all of the time.

No. Just an attempt to alleviate some of the dread.

These things should not be taken seriously. A preseason poll? Before a game has been played? Cook garnering the top "honor" for the Hawks? He's got a lot of potential and that's what they're basing that on. JBo was the guy we couldn't have lost last year.

This.

Even if it were 100% accurate (which it isn't and doesn't purport to be), it wouldn't predict much about team performance. An experienced team with few standout players will beat an inexperienced team with more talent 8 times out of ten in this league.

WRT the top 8-10 teams in the league, the margin between winning and losing is so razor thin that experience is exceedingly valuable.

I think MSU will run away with the title this year because they are loaded with talent and experience. Minnesota and Purdue will be tough too.

Analyses like this fatally underrate teams like Maryland, Northwestern and Iowa. All should be in the mix at the top half of the league. I think Michigan will be better than expected too.

Reactions: Arctichawk

In less than 20 mins per game last season Haas averaged 12.6 PPG and 5.0 rebounds...shot 59% from the floor and 71% from the free throw line.

He's a pretty damn good basketball player.

In less than 20 mins per game last season Haas averaged 12.6 PPG and 5.0 rebounds...shot 59% from the floor and 71% from the free throw line.

But top 10 in the entire league? That's a big stretch. We shall see this year with no Swannigan carrying the mail for him. No free passes this time.

Those numbers surprise me.

I dont watch mutch PU but most of the times I have seen him hes underwhelming and sometimes looks awful.

I don't think Haas is a bad player, just not that good. I would put him in the top 40 players in the B1G, and maybe near the bottom of the top 25. It will be interesting to see how he does without Swanigan, whose presence allowed Haas to often get the ball one on one within 7-8 ft of the basket. If you shoot 90% of your field goals within 5 ft of the basket and you are 6" and 50 lbs bigger than your opponent, you should shoot a high percentage. 5 boards in 20 min is not that impressive, especially when you spend most of your time near the basket on both ends of the court. 71% FTs is decent for a huge man.

Reactions: And1Hawk
I don't think Haas is a bad player, just not that good. I would put him in the top 40 players in the B1G, and maybe near the bottom of the top 25. It will be interesting to see how he does without Swanigan, whose presence allowed Haas to often get the ball one on one within 7-8 ft of the basket. If you shoot 90% of your field goals within 5 ft of the basket and you are 6" and 50 lbs bigger than your opponent, you should shoot a high percentage. 5 boards in 20 min is not that impressive, especially when you spend most of your time near the basket on both ends of the court. 71% FTs is decent for a huge man.

His rebounding %s:
Off: 11.5
Def: 18.0
Overall: 13.9

Yeah. those are damn good #s.

Reactions: AZmess
Iowa is an interesting team because we truly will have to play team ball to win. We do not have any superstars who will lead in points every game. We have 8-9 guys who could go off on any given night for 20+.

Heck I don't even think Iowa fans could agree on who Iowa's top 3 best players are. I would say jb is the most important to our team, but you could argue that cook, moss, Baer, or Garza are/Will be better players.

Reactions: And1Hawk
Haas is a good player. There might be more than one Hawk on that list at the end of the season. Indeed I think there will be three. Bohannon, Cook and the Baer. I'm looking for around 14.5 ppg and 6.5 apg out of Bo. About the same in points from Cook with some spectacular dunks. If he hustles he could be a 6-7 rpg guy as well, but that will require filling a hole in his game. Baer maybe 12.5 ppg and a stat stuffer on everything else. No one stat overwhelming but a lot of everything.

This type of team is the Dick Vitale pickaroo...based on results + high school hype. Have 2 coaches from the league, offer them $4,000,000 for winning a best of 5 series to pick their top 13 players from the Big 10 to go against each other. Guarantee that Baer would be picked in the top 25.

yep that getting up & down the floor is limited somewhat

I'd like to get our Purdue guy who visits take on this. He's a very reasonable poster.

It seems Purdue is recruiting a Juco, one Shazville Carter, to shore up their bigs. And they do have another monster in redshirt frosh Matt Harms who is 7'3" and 245 lbs. But he's no 10'9" 810lb dude like Haas.

This could be a year where Purdue should eat clock and slow it down...but wait, there is a shot clock. Dammit...such as it is, no variety in basketball anymore. Haas and his ilk are going the way of the dinosaur.

Reactions: hawk-i bob

Don't forget he also averages 1850 lbs

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: AZmess
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT