ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Top 25 Players

His rebounding %s:
Off: 11.5
Def: 18.0
Overall: 13.9

Yeah. those are damn good #s.
Probably not disagreeing as much as you think, but if I were as big as Haas and spent 3/4 of my time within 10 ft of the basket on both ends of the court, I would have some pretty good rebounding % #s.

His foot speed is a liability at times, and opponents with centers who can score away from the basket can take advantage. If you open the court and create an up-tempo game (like the Kansas game in the Dance where PU was humiliated), Haas becomes a liability pretty quickly. If you have a slug it out game, where he can effectively camp under the basket, then he becomes a BIG asset.

I think Haas is only the second or third best player on PU. V Edwards is their best all-round player.

Regarding Haas. :) (Turn away those who don't like my analogies) :rolleyes: It's King Kong vs the Biplanes! You remember the first King Kong? He's great on skull island kicking the tar out of monsters and being King and all. He even has the girl thinking he's alright.

But that's like basketball before the shot clock. Everything was simpler then!

Kong gets brought to the new world and now he's on a shot clock with faster guys buzzing around him. He get's away with a foul or two but now he's worn out. The girl just wants off the roof. And it's a long way down and when he hits he's not getting back in the game!

That's the problem with Haas. We'll knock him off the roof in the first half.

Reactions: AZmess
Indiana will have a lot more guys end up in that top 25. I suspect that Iowa will too. Cook is a top 10 type of talent in the Big Ten.

Haas has the size that requires constant focus from the defense. Not many teams have a guy that will play him one on one. He's a defensive presence in the middle just on his size alone.

Don't on him just because of his size. It's part of the game.

Reactions: perryhawk
As much as I love Baer, he seems to be streaky. Seems some games he is 4/5 from three and then the next game 0/7. I don't know his overall percentage, but I would guess 37 or less. I don't think that would rate in the top 25. Remember these are guys that should average in the top 2 for each team. I don't think Baer is top 2 at Iowa.
But he's never down in rebounds, steals, hustle and being in the right place

Haas is a beast. The only 2 things that slow him down are conditioning and not being able to play that many minutes in a row and foul trouble from other teams trying to flop him into getting whistles.

He's a load. Significantly taller and heavier than anybody that checks him and he can basically set up shop anywhere he wants and then when he gets the ball, no one player in the league can keep him from getting a very good look from up close. He's a mandatory double team or just hope he misses and picks up fouls along the way.

Defensively he only becomes a liability when opponents force him to guard away from the basket. Not every team does that.

Reactions: AZmess
Haas has the size that requires constant focus from the defense. Not many teams have a guy that will play him one on one. He's a defensive presence in the middle just on his size alone.

Don't on him just because of his size. It's part of the game.
True, but that doesn't make him one of the 10 best players in the B1G. Top 25-30, yes.

I'm not getting this Haas hate. Very few teams are going to be able to run him off the floor. He's going to get more minutes with Swanigan gone. I'm expecting him to put up big numbers. To me, McIntosh is overrated here. He did average 5.2 assists/game but is a mediocre defender and his shooting percentages (.404 fg%, .307 3p%) were subpar.

I see Haas had 17 points and 6 rebounds in Purdue's loss to Lithuania in the championship game of the World University Games.

He's a handful and a large human being. I remember how comparatively small Kriener looked trying to guard him last season. His stamina is really his only limitation.

Reactions: perryhawk
Haas can be run off the floor. That's THE best way to limit him. He can also get in foul trouble.

We had this discussion last year and some were expecting his minutes to shoot up. He went from 14.3 to 19.5. He's not going to get much more than that and won't come close to 25 mpg.

He's limited. And he limits his team to a slow down game when he plays.

Otherwise, sure, in the right situation he is a nightmare.

Pemsl can handle Haas.

AR-170119879.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=652

As can Baer :)
460x.jpg

Reactions: hawk-i bob
Haas can be run off the floor. That's THE best way to limit him. He can also get in foul trouble.

While he can get in foul trouble, he also ranked 9th nationally last season in fouls drawn per 40 minutes. Teams hack him left and right and he puts opposing bigs on the bench quickly.

While he can get in foul trouble, he also ranked 9th nationally last season in fouls drawn per 40 minutes. Teams hack him left and right and he puts opposing bigs on the bench quickly.

He's the last guy I'd look at anything "per forty minutes". I guess that is the part people in fear of him can't understand. If you look at it in context of the thread, 10th best player in the Big Ten? Please.

We had this discussion last year and some were expecting his minutes to shoot up. He went from 14.3 to 19.5. He's not going to get much more than that and won't come close to 25 mpg.

He's limited. And he limits his team to a slow down game when he plays.

Otherwise, sure, in the right situation he is a nightmare.

Only if they are running a relay race...other than that he is a great asset for a team that wants to run.

He's the last guy I'd look at anything "per forty minutes". I guess that is the part people in fear of him can't understand. If you look at it in context of the thread, 10th best player in the Big Ten? Please.

OK, well he draws 1 foul every 5 minutes on the court so that is still a ton of foul trouble for opponents.

Haas is a beast when on the court. I think the expectation is he will play something more like 25+ minutes per game instead of only 20 this upcoming season.

Only if they are running a relay race...other than that he is a great asset for a team that wants to run.

He can't get up and down the court Legend. I suppose you are trying to say defensive rebounding and outlet passes. Sure, but if a team runs, and so does the opponent...he can't stay in the game. He can't the way it is if the other team pushes the pace.

Are you trying to kill the poor guy? :p

From last year:

http://www.southbendtribune.com/spo...cle_5abdad39-c8d6-55fd-ade8-697cf270b2bc.html

So he was going to be a 25+ minute guy? He almost made it to 20. All that effort and that's what they got out of him. I'm sorry, but you don't make the top ten in the league playing 20 mpg. And this is his last go around, what's different this year? Less help around him? That's not a good thing.

OK, well he draws 1 foul every 5 minutes on the court so that is still a ton of foul trouble for opponents.

Haas is a beast when on the court. I think the expectation is he will play something more like 25+ minutes per game instead of only 20 this upcoming season.

See my response to Legend. Last year the plan was 25+ mpg. We'll see if this time the expectations end up in reality.

He can't get up and down the court Legend. I suppose you are trying to say defensive rebounding and outlet passes. Sure, but if a team runs, and so does the opponent...he can't stay in the game. He can't the way it is if the other team pushes the pace.

Are you trying to kill the poor guy? :p

From last year:

http://www.southbendtribune.com/spo...cle_5abdad39-c8d6-55fd-ade8-697cf270b2bc.html

So he was going to be a 25+ minute guy? He almost made it to 20. All that effort and that's what they got out of him. I'm sorry, but you don't make the top ten in the league playing 20 mpg. And this is his last go around, what's different this year? Less help around him? That's not a good thing.

A big that can rebound and fire off a good outlet pass, and can get up and down the court without collapsing, would be a huge asset to a running team. Between the 1-4 we've got enough guys that can get out on the break. Need a couple guys to start it.

Just so happens that Iowa has plenty of fouls to go around. What will be interesting is if Iowa's bigs can pull him away from the basket on defense.

See my response to Legend. Last year the plan was 25+ mpg. We'll see if this time the expectations end up in reality.

Well last season Purdue's best lineup had Vince Edwards at the 4 spot and they had the Big Ten POY at the 5. With Swanigan gone, it's quite likely the Boilers best lineup has Haas at the 5 so his minutes should go up. It wasn't that he couldn't play 25 minutes last season, it's that they chose not to play him that many because they had Swanigan.

Reactions: Ray1125
Haas doesn't have to run the floor anymore than he does now.

Well last season Purdue's best lineup had Vince Edwards at the 4 spot and they had the Big Ten POY at the 5. With Swanigan gone, it's quite likely the Boilers best lineup has Haas at the 5 so his minutes should go up. It wasn't that he couldn't play 25 minutes last season, it's that they chose not to play him that many because they had Swanigan.

Yeah, let's not take what Painter said as meaning anything.

I would argue that if Haas is really one of the 10 best players in the entire B1G, he would have been part of PU's best line up last year. Painter tried to play a Haas and Swanigan line up against Kansas in the dance, and they got blown off the court. I don't think anyone is arguing that Haas isn't a huge asset to have, but whether he is one of the 10 best players in the league. He is an extremely effective role player, who will probably get to play at the next level. You can't teach or develop 7'2" and half a ton, and he does have pretty good BB skills.

Reactions: DanL53 and ZumaHawk
Yeah, let's not take what Painter said as meaning anything.

what Painter said in July and what he said well into the season were 2 totally different things. Are you picking and choosing what you want to hear and see?

what Painter said in July and what he said well into the season were 2 totally different things. Are you picking and choosing what you want to hear and see?

No. Not at all. I linked what Painter said last year, before the season, about how many minutes he expected Haas to get.

Then we saw how that worked out.

But, you and Legend stay confident that suddenly Haas is going to improve his endurance and speed up and down the court in the last summer he enjoys before his college playing days are over.

Dan you are misinterpreting Legend's comment about getting up and down the floor without collapsing. He's not claiming any increased endurance.

Well, each day we draw closer to the season where I always feel pretty good about my guesswork. It doesn't always turn out. We will see with Swanigan gone if Haas is better, or worse. (Exposed)

Telling stats:

Non-conference: 22.7 mpg, 14.1 ppg, 5.2 rpg.
Conference: 17.9 mpg, 11.4 ppg, 5.0 rpg.

Haas also went to the bench after the 2nd Big Ten game and never went back to starting.

He had two phenomenal games that came against Rutgers and Illinois. Total of 48 min, 48 points, 17 rebs. Just fantastic.

His last three games in the regular season. 31 mins. 16 points. 7 rebs.

Always just an opinion of course, but this guy was no top ten player in the Big Ten. And I haven't even begun to talk about what happened to him against teams that ran.

Last edited:
But, you and Legend stay confident that suddenly Haas is going to improve his endurance and speed up and down the court in the last summer he enjoys before his college playing days are over.

where exactly did I say that? And do you have a quote from Painter suggesting Haas played his max minutes last season? Or did they choose to not play him as much because Swanigan at the 5 and Edwards at the 4 was their most effective lineup last season?

where exactly did I say that? And do you have a quote from Painter suggesting Haas played his max minutes last season? Or did they choose to not play him as much because Swanigan at the 5 and Edwards at the 4 was their most effective lineup last season?

I already provided an article talking about Haas and expectations last season. And I provided a detailed breakdown showing his minutes decreasing as the season unfolded.

What have you done but express your opinion, which I know in most cases is a decent one, but I also know that you'll argue for years, months...as this has turned into, if someone disagrees.

I disagree. But I don't want to argue with you for months about this. We'll see in a few months if Haas measures up to a tenth best player in the Big Ten.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT