ADVERTISEMENT

B1G WBB general discussion

Soares shot 22.8% from three last year in NAIA. Unless she has improved her shooting considerably, her taking a three is probably the worst shot the Iowa State offense can get. It also makes them less likely to get an offensive rebound because she's so far from the basket.

I would expect our defense against her will leave space for her to shoot threes initially. If she makes a few, maybe adjust it from there, but having her shoot from distance is a win for our defense.

Reactions: libertyhawkeye
Soares shot 22.8% from three last year in NAIA. Unless she has improved her shooting considerably, her taking a three is probably the worst shot the Iowa State offense can get. It also makes them less likely to get an offensive rebound because she's so far from the basket.

I would expect our defense against her will leave space for her to shoot threes initially. If she makes a few, maybe adjust it from there, but having her shoot from distance is a win for our defense.
How is her conditioning? Does she get up and down the court pretty well?

ISU lurkers will now see these messages and claim that we’re obsessed with them even tho they literally talk about us all the time on their board/on twitter.

ISU lurkers will now see these messages and claim that we’re obsessed with them even tho they literally talk about us all the time on their board/on twitter.
I’ll take the blame since I stopped by to watch the game.

I believe she was 3/5 from behind the arc. Didn’t really attempt to drive from the perimeter, so that may be a gap in her game.

Reactions: shikreto
Nebraska fan in town told me their guard had surgery the tear wasn’t as severe as first thought and could possibly be back late season.

Reactions: shikreto

ESPN's best and worst case scenarios for Big Ten teams.​

5. Iowa Hawkeyes

Best case: With Caitlin Clark, who leads the nation in scoring for the third consecutive year, and Monika Czinano leading the way, plus the addition of Molly Davis from Central Michigan, the Hawkeyes are the most unstoppable offense the women's game has seen in years. Iowa simply outscores everyone in the Big Ten and march to the program's first Final Four since 1993.

Worst case: Defensive lapses continue to hold back the Hawkeyes. The lack of a rim protector haunts them in big games and, despite winning the Big Ten regular-season crown, the Hawkeyes fail to win the conference tournament and exit the NCAA tournament in the second round for the second straight year. -- Charlie Creme

10. Indiana Hoosiers

Best case: Sara Scalia brings the one dimension the last few Hoosier teams haven't had: 3-point shooting. The added offense propels them to the top of the Big Ten, and senior Grace Berger challenges Clark for Big Ten Player of the Year.

Worst case: No amount of 3-pointers or solid post play from Mackenzie Holmes can make up for the leadership void left by the graduations of Ali Patberg, Nicole Cardano-Hillary and Aleksa Gulbe. Indiana fails to get a top-four NCAA tournament seed, and the string of consecutive Sweet 16 appearances comes to an end. -- Creme

15. Maryland Terps

Best case: Talent rules the day and all the pieces fit. A healthy Lavender Briggs is the same player that averaged 19.4 PPG in 2020-21 and pairs with Diamond Miller to form one of the nation's most prolific backcourts. Two more transfers, Abby Meyers and Elisa Pinzan, slide into their roles seamlessly. The Terps are not only good enough to score with Iowa but are ultimately better and win the Big Ten for the seventh time in nine years.

Worst case: The guards are good, and Maryland produces a high-scoring offense, but the chemistry is never right. Angel Reese's size and versatility is really missed, and Maryland isn't a good enough rebounding team to challenge for the conference title or make it past the second round of the NCAA tournament. -- Creme

17. Ohio State Buckeyes

Best case: Getting Madison Greene back to join Jacy Sheldon and Taylor Mikesell in the backcourt takes the Buckeyes to another level. Despite a tougher schedule they win another Big Ten regular-season title and again reach the Sweet 16.

Worst case: Sheldon and Mikesell experience early season shooting slumps and, without enough reliable interior scorers, Ohio State gets off to a slow start. Unable to fully recover, the Buckeyes finish in the middle of the Big Ten end just squeak into the NCAA tournament. -- Creme

21. Nebraska Cornhuskers

Best case: Alexis Markowski becomes the best post player in the Big Ten, Jaz Shelley becomes an even stronger presence with her versatility and Sam Haiby (knee), originally thought to be out for the season, is able to return, just in time for a Cornhuskers' run to the Sweet 16.

Worst case: Haiby's leadership is missed and despite another solid season, Nebraska can't break through the upper-echelon teams in the Big Ten. The Huskers finish sixth and once again fail to win an NCAA tournament game. -- Creme

ESPN's best and worst case scenarios for Big Ten teams.​

5. Iowa Hawkeyes

Best case: With Caitlin Clark, who leads the nation in scoring for the third consecutive year, and Monika Czinano leading the way, plus the addition of Molly Davis from Central Michigan, the Hawkeyes are the most unstoppable offense the women's game has seen in years. Iowa simply outscores everyone in the Big Ten and march to the program's first Final Four since 1993.

Worst case: Defensive lapses continue to hold back the Hawkeyes. The lack of a rim protector haunts them in big games and, despite winning the Big Ten regular-season crown, the Hawkeyes fail to win the conference tournament and exit the NCAA tournament in the second round for the second straight year. -- Charlie Creme

10. Indiana Hoosiers

Best case: Sara Scalia brings the one dimension the last few Hoosier teams haven't had: 3-point shooting. The added offense propels them to the top of the Big Ten, and senior Grace Berger challenges Clark for Big Ten Player of the Year.

Worst case: No amount of 3-pointers or solid post play from Mackenzie Holmes can make up for the leadership void left by the graduations of Ali Patberg, Nicole Cardano-Hillary and Aleksa Gulbe. Indiana fails to get a top-four NCAA tournament seed, and the string of consecutive Sweet 16 appearances comes to an end. -- Creme

15. Maryland Terps

Best case: Talent rules the day and all the pieces fit. A healthy Lavender Briggs is the same player that averaged 19.4 PPG in 2020-21 and pairs with Diamond Miller to form one of the nation's most prolific backcourts. Two more transfers, Abby Meyers and Elisa Pinzan, slide into their roles seamlessly. The Terps are not only good enough to score with Iowa but are ultimately better and win the Big Ten for the seventh time in nine years.

Worst case: The guards are good, and Maryland produces a high-scoring offense, but the chemistry is never right. Angel Reese's size and versatility is really missed, and Maryland isn't a good enough rebounding team to challenge for the conference title or make it past the second round of the NCAA tournament. -- Creme

17. Ohio State Buckeyes

Best case: Getting Madison Greene back to join Jacy Sheldon and Taylor Mikesell in the backcourt takes the Buckeyes to another level. Despite a tougher schedule they win another Big Ten regular-season title and again reach the Sweet 16.

Worst case: Sheldon and Mikesell experience early season shooting slumps and, without enough reliable interior scorers, Ohio State gets off to a slow start. Unable to fully recover, the Buckeyes finish in the middle of the Big Ten end just squeak into the NCAA tournament. -- Creme

21. Nebraska Cornhuskers

Best case: Alexis Markowski becomes the best post player in the Big Ten, Jaz Shelley becomes an even stronger presence with her versatility and Sam Haiby (knee), originally thought to be out for the season, is able to return, just in time for a Cornhuskers' run to the Sweet 16.

Worst case: Haiby's leadership is missed and despite another solid season, Nebraska can't break through the upper-echelon teams in the Big Ten. The Huskers finish sixth and once again fail to win an NCAA tournament game. -- Creme
Doing a best case/worst case is a fun if difficult exercise. Most seem right to me, but a couple stand out as completely unrealistic:

Berger is very good, but she's not going to seriously challenge Clark for POY. Clark beat her in basically every statistical category last year aside from turnovers. She even beat her in the defensive categories. Berger isn't going to bridge that gap even with more offensive talent around her.

Ohio State's worst case scenario is too extreme. The Buckeyes return most of their top players and add Greene back. Even if they shoot poorly for a time I don't see them being a bubble team. What he described with Sheldon and Mikesell basically happened to Clark last year in the non-conference and Iowa won enough from there to be a 2 seed.

Doing a best case/worst case is a fun if difficult exercise. Most seem right to me, but a couple stand out as completely unrealistic:

Berger is very good, but she's not going to seriously challenge Clark for POY. Clark beat her in basically every statistical category last year aside from turnovers. She even beat her in the defensive categories. Berger isn't going to bridge that gap even with more offensive talent around her.

Ohio State's worst case scenario is too extreme. The Buckeyes return most of their top players and add Greene back. Even if they shoot poorly for a time I don't see them being a bubble team. What he described with Sheldon and Mikesell basically happened to Clark last year in the non-conference and Iowa won enough from there to be a 2 seed.
Lol that his worst case scenario for Iowa still has us winning the Big Ten regular season. I assure you I can imagine much much worse.

Lol that his worst case scenario for Iowa still has us winning the Big Ten regular season. I assure you I can imagine much much worse.
My thoughts exactly on both points!

Reactions: undersized_post
We certainly look like a better team than last year not only all 5 starters back but. Molly, Goodman, Stuelke, ,O Grady, and Syd as solid sups. Who else looks improved More than us
To that I would add that I saw a new assertiveness up and down the entire roster. I know it was only the exhibition game, but they looked different. Even the freshmen looked for their shots instead of deferring. I attribute it to not only the sour ending to last season but also knowing that getting playing time will require battling for it. Sydney looked like a different player. Same for Shateah. The fun for the coaching staff will be defining a role for everyone on the team. They all have that potential.

Northwestern got destroyed by #20 Oregon on the road 100-57.
Rutgers barely beat a Hofstra team that went 8-20 last year 73-68 at home.

Outside the Top 6 teams, the Big Ten might be really, really bad this year.

Northwestern got destroyed by #20 Oregon on the road 100-57.
Rutgers barely beat a Hofstra team that went 8-20 last year 73-68 at home.

Outside the Top 6 teams, the Big Ten might be really, really bad this year.
Yeah, the bottom tier will be awful again. Rutgers, with only 8 players on their roster, was always going to be a sh*tshow. And for Northwestern, it's a testament to what an amazing all around player Veronica Burton was that she was able to singlehandedly make that otherwise unremarkable roster competitive last year.

At least Michigan State and even Minnesota looked decent enough today? Minnesota's freshman Mara Braun is a legit talent.

In other B1G news...

The worst case scenario for Ohio State from that ESPN article is 4 minutes from being dead in the first game of the season. That'll be a big win for the Buckeyes and the conference if they hold on.

early Tennessee broke Ohio St press for easy scores and better rebounding but from late second quarter til late their pressure defense turned Tenn over time after time to take over the game. In thr 4th Tenn has 29 turnovers,many if not most led to easy scores

Tennessee has as much talent as anyone but the fundamentals and cohesion are nowhere to be found at this moment.

Ohio State is obviously led by Sheldon and Mikesell (and Greene coming back from injury), but they look to have a solid, underrated, and young group of wings in Thierry, McMahon, and Shumate.

Mikulasikova is a serviceable player but if OSO had more of a post presence they'd be legit national title contenders.

She won’t.
Actually she has continued shooting it well from deep. Ready to believe she is a legit three level scorer this year.

In oher WBB action that pertains to Iowa--- Belmont currently leads #7 Louisville 53-52 with 9 minutes to go in the 4Q. The Belmont game will be harder than most of our B1G opponents. I know we're supposed to be a top 5 team and all, but it will be no small feat if we can make it to the Oregon tournament undefeated.

Reactions: oldhawk56
Actually she has continued shooting it well from deep. Ready to believe she is a legit three level scorer this year.

In oher WBB action that pertains to Iowa--- Belmont currently leads #7 Louisville 53-52 with 9 minutes to go in the 4Q. The Belmont game will be harder than most of our B1G opponents. I know we're supposed to be a top 5 team and all, but it will be no small feat if we can make it to the Oregon tournament undefeated.
Belmont gives off IUPUI vibes from last year except they won’t come back from down 18. They’ll just win regularly.

Don’t want to overreact but in my opinion at best Drake is no better than a low middle of the road big ten team. A win is a win but much work ahead for the hawks.

Don’t want to overreact but in my opinion at best Drake is no better than a low middle of the road big ten team. A win is a win but much work ahead for the hawks.
Drake would have beat Purdue today.

Tennessee lost to Ohio St, now down by 11 to Indiana at half at Tennessee
Great start to the year for the top of the Big Ten so far. The chemistry is still developing but Indiana has a much more potent offense this season with Scalia, Parrish, and the freshman Garzon. Definitely has the potential to provide the shooting and floor spacing around Holmes that they've desperately needed for the past couple years to take that next step as a program. Time will tell!

IU women led start to finish at Tennessee. Controlled pace and continually broke the Vols press with ease. Mostly an 8-12 point lead. UT cut to 4 with about 5-6 minutes left. Too much Berger, Holmes and Scalia at the end. 79-67 final.

Great start to the year for the top of the Big Ten so far. The chemistry is still developing but Indiana has a much more potent offense this season with Scalia, Parrish, and the freshman Garzon. Definitely has the potential to provide the shooting and floor spacing around Holmes that they've desperately needed for the past couple years to take that next step as a program. Time will tell!
Really, really impressed. IU is my second favorite B1G team, so I almost always cheer for them…but I didn’t think they’d jel together this quickly. Especially with GB playing the PG.

Then again maybe this is a TN problem. TN’s struggles may be like Rutgers last year — too many cooks.

Reactions: hawkahawk
One thing we should note: arguably Tennessee's best player (Jordan Horston) played in the Ohio State game but not the Indiana game. It was still impressive for Indiana to win at Tennessee even without her, but they didn't beat the same team that Ohio State did.

ADVERTISEMENT