ADVERTISEMENT

B1G WBB general discussion

Will also be interesting when Nebraska plays at Drake Sunday.

Who knows why the hell kids transfer. Toothpaste is out of the tube now.. not enough playing time; coach didn’t show me enough love; coaches yelled at me; another school offered up some $… Who the hell knows. Doesn’t necessarily mean it’s all on the coach… THIS (sadly) is the new world of college athletics….
Rusty, all true. A scholarship is not insignificant. I was fortunate my daughter received some academic scholarship funding and we started her college fund when she was born. Her college fund paid for everything but was North of $100K with scholarships.

Creighton now has two Top 25 wins already this season after having gone on the road to beat both South Dakota and South Dakota State to go along with the Nebraska win
It's pretty clear Creighton was much better than a 10 seed at the end of last year. I was shocked they were rated so low in the pre-season with most of the same team back.

It appears she left after 6 minutes because she tweaked her knee, which is not entirely shocking. Not sure why she got cleared.

It appears she left after 6 minutes because she tweaked her knee, which is not entirely shocking. Not sure why she got cleared.
After evaluation, her initial injury was deemed to be not near as serious as believed to be on the surface. Though I had not expected her to return to something like mid-season.

Cyclone Fanatic forum had an awful lot of Iowa talk today, but I’ll start some. Cyclones trailing UNC 64-57 with under to play. Led 26-11 at one point.

Reactions: shikreto
Iowa State collapsed in the fourth quarter, losing 28-11. Collapse started midway through Q3 actually but I'd need to pull up a box score to see exactly what sort of run UNC went on to come back from down 15. ISU seemed to forget who their best player has been (Soares) and it made their offense come to a screeching halt. UNC also started making the wide open midrange jumpers that just hadn't been falling earlier.

Elsewhere, Michigan just beat Baylor by 9, closing the game on an 11-0 run. They trailed by 1 with about a minute to go before scoring a basket to take the lead. Then fouls and FTs at the end made the margin seem bigger than it actually was.

Iowa state fans both HATE our ladies but are also obsessed with them. The number of nicknames they have for our school + mascot + coach is low key bizarre. It’s obvious they watch all of our games tho so I guess that’s respect? Some real lil brother vibes on their forum. I only watch their games when they play B1G opponents tbh.

Their takes are also nuts. My favorite take was that Kylie Feuerbach probably hates playing for us and being teammates with CC….even tho they’re best friends and roommates… and she is literally always posting about how her teammates are “the best people in the world.” Lmao.

Last edited:
After the Iowa game today a poster said Gabby Marshall is the only Iowa player that could help their team.

After the Iowa game today a poster said Gabby Marshall is the only Iowa player that could help their team.
Does that mean Iowa State's defense is not good?

Towards the end the game when Iowa State was trying to come back, on three consecutive possessions the 'clones turned the ball over when inbounding the ball. That's what I call an implosion.

Of Indiana's graduating class last year, I thought Gulbe would be the hardest to replace. But props to IU, they've replaced and arguably even upgraded!

Reactions: cyberhawk
Garzon can shoot lights out from three. Hopefully the wear & tear of the season will cool her off.

Of Indiana's graduating class last year, I thought Gulbe would be the hardest to replace. But props to IU, they've replaced and arguably even upgraded!
Berger is now out indefinitely due to her knee. Must not be an ACL, since they’re saying it’s day to day. Thank god for that at least. Indiana will miss her this week versus North Carolina. As a fan of IU, I’ll miss her if she’s not playing come January.

As for Garzon, IU hasn’t played a game as tough as NC yet. TN, their biggest game, clearly has issues — less talented teams have beat them since IU did. Wouldn’t be surprised if Garzon takes a bench during that game (kinda like Davis did for us). But then again with Berger out, that may not be an option. NC isn’t UConn either.

As for Garzon, IU hasn’t played a game as tough as NC yet. TN, their biggest game, clearly has issues — less talented teams have beat them since IU did. Wouldn’t be surprised if Garzon takes a bench during that game (kinda like Davis did for us). But then again with Berger out, that may not be an option. NC isn’t UConn either.
Garzon has played 30+ minutes since Berger went down, and the only reason she played just 22 minutes against Tennessee was foul trouble. She's their starting PF and will definitely be remaining a key part of their rotation as their competition continues to get tougher. I'd this point she's my front runner for B1G FOY, with Mara Braun of Minnesota being second.

During Bluder's show tonight she said it's the last year for the B1G / ACC challenge. Too bad.
Would be nice to see the Big 10 institute a new series, maybe with with the PAC 12 or the Big East? We already tend to have one very important Big 12 game on our schedule every year. ;)

Would be nice to see the Big 10 institute a new series, maybe with with the PAC 12 or the Big East? We already tend to have one very important Big 12 game on our schedule every year. ;)
Another 'challenge' would be cool, but not the same. Both the "PAC 10", as it soon to be, and the Big East have far fewer teams. B1G will have 16 teams next season. Bluder says with USC/UCLA joining the league next year they may add more conference games. That makes sense.

Speaking of the Big 12, Bluder also mentioned there is a K State rematch next year in Carver.

Last edited:
Reactions: undersized_post
Illinois just blew out Pitt. off to their best start all ready as many wins as last year. Penn State undefeated, Purdue also off to a great start. Wisconsin very improved it appears. Nebraska, Northwestern and Maryland only teams short of expectations so far.Minnesota has no power 5 wins and only scored 5 points in 1st quater against Wake.

Last edited:
Ohio State just blew out Louisville at Louisville (96-77). Jeff Linder had Louisville #2 to start the season and I never understood it. The top of the Big Ten is as good as its been in a while with Iowa, Ohio State, and Indiana.

Ohio State just blew out Louisville at Louisville (96-77). Jeff Linder had Louisville #2 to start the season and I never understood it. The top of the Big Ten is as good as its been in a while with Iowa, Ohio State, and Indiana.
The number of programs who have come back down from orbit in a matter of a few years is insane. There's definitely a vacuum outside the three remaining blue bloods (Stanford, UConn, SC).

We really have quite an opportunity to make a name for our program, but only if we navigate this season the right way.

Reactions: hawkahawk
ADVERTISEMENT