ADVERTISEMENT

B1G West Favorite? Minny has Easiest Sched? Nov 9 Key games: IOWA @Wisconsin; Penn State @ Minnesota

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
July 8, 2019 Update:

See the Vegas win totals at the end of this post. As you can see, Debbie (8.5) is at Purdue (8.0) this year. So, if Purdue does indeed have the 2nd easiest B1G West schedule, are they the West favorite since they get Debbie at home?

Original Post:

What do you think about these B1G West schedule rankings, from toughest to easiest?

1. Wisconsin (Michigan, MSU & Ohio St on the road are their cross over games)

BYE WEEKS: Sep 14, Nov 2

HOME:

Sep 21 Michigan,
Sep 28 Northwestern,
Oct 12 Mich State,
Nov 9 Iowa,
Nov 23 Purdue

ROAD:

Oct 19 Illinois,
Oct 26 Ohio St,
Nov 16 Debbie,
Nov 30 Minny

2. Illinois

BYE WEEKS: Sep 28, Nov 16

HOME:

Sep 21 Debbie,
Oct 12 Michigan,
Oct 19 Wisky,
Nov 2 Rutgers,
Nov 30 Northwestern

ROAD:

Oct 5 Minny,
Oct 26 Purdue,
Nov 9 Mich St,
Nov 23 Iowa

3. Northwestern

BYE WEEKS: Sep 7, Oct 12

HOME:

Sep 21 MSU,
Oct 18 OSU,
Oct 26 Iowa,
Nov 9 Purdue,
Nov 23 Minny

ROAD:

Sep 28 Wisky,
Oct 5 Debbie,
Nov 2 Indiana,
Nov 30 Illinois

4. IOWA (CROSS OVERS: Plays at Mich on Oct 5, hosts PSU Oct 12)

BYE WEEKS: Sep 21, Nov 2

HOME:

Sep 7 Rutgers,
Oct 12 Penn St,
Oct 19 Purdue,
Nov 16 Minny,
Nov 23 Illinois

ROAD:

Oct 5 Michigan,
Oct 26 Northwestern,
Nov 9 Wisky,
Nov 29 Debbie

5. Debbie

BYE WEEKS: Oct 19, Nov 9

HOME:

Sep 28 OSU,
Oct 5 Northwestern,
Oct 26 Indiana,
Nov 16 Wisky,
Nov 29 Iowa

ROAD
:

Sep 21 Illinois,
Oct 12 Minny,
Nov 2 Purdue,
Nov 23 Maryland

6. Purdue

BYE WEEKS: Sep 21, Nov 16

HOME:

Sep 28 Minny,
Oct 12 Maryland,
Oct 26 Illinois,
Nov 2 Debbie,
Nov 30 Indiana

ROAD
:

Oct 5 PSU,
Oct 19 Iowa,
Nov 9 Northwestern,
Nov 23 Wisky

7. Minny (Rutgers, MD & PSU at home are their cross over games)

HOME:

Oct 5 Illinois,
Oct 12 Debbie,
Oct 26 Maryland,
Nov 9 PSU,
Nov 30 Wisky

ROAD
:

Sep 28 Purdue,
Oct 19 Rutgers,
Nov 16 Iowa,
Nov 23 Northwestern

Interesting Las Vegas Win Totals follow.

Debbie (8.5) is at Purdue (8.0) this year. So, if Purdue does indeed have the 2nd easiest B1G West schedule, are they the West favorite since they get Debbie at home?

Vegas Win Totals:
  • Ohio State: 10.5 (Over +112, Under -130)
  • Michigan: 9.5 (Over -168, Under +142)
  • Nebraska: 8.5 (Over +164, Under -194)
  • Penn State: 8.5 (Over -166, Under +140)
  • Wisconsin: 8.5 (Over -114, Under -102)
  • Purdue: 8 (Over +156, Under -184)
  • Iowa: 7.5 (Over +112, Under -130)
  • Michigan State: 7.5 (Over +100, Under -120)
  • Minnesota: 6.5 (Over -190, Under +162)
  • Northwestern: 6.5 (Over -108, Under -108)
  • Indiana: 6 (Over -136, Under +116)
  • Maryland: 4.5 (Over +124, Under -146)
  • Illinois: 3 (Over -184, Under +154)

Reminder: For those uninitiated on "prices," minus-odds of -120 mean you'd have to wager $120 to win $100, while plus-odds (+120) means wagering $100 would win you $120. An "EVEN" price would result in a $100 payout for a $100 wager. Also, since FanDuel is located in New Jersey, it does not give odds on Rutgers, so the Scarlet Knights are not included above.

Last edited:
Pretty good list. One team I find interesting is Purdue. I could see them going 5-0 at home and 0-4 on the road where they struggled last year.

Reactions: Franisdaman
What do you think about these rankings, from toughest to easiest?

HOME: Michigan, N'w, Mich State, Iowa, Purdue
ROAD: Illinois, Ohio St, Debbie, Minny

2. Illinois

HOME: Debbie, Michigan, Wisky, Rutgers, N'w
ROAD: Minny, Purdue, Mich St, Iowa

3. Northwestern

HOME: MSU, OSU, Iowa, Purdue, Minny
ROAD: Wisky, Debbie, IU, Illinois

4. IOWA (plays at Mich on Oct 5, hosts PSU Oct 12)

HOME: Rutgers Penn St, Purdue, Minny, Illinois
ROAD: Michigan, N'w, Wisky, Debbie

5. Debbie

BYE WEEKS: Oct 19, Nov 19
HOME: OSU, N'w, IU, Wisky, Iowa
AWAY: Illinois, Minny, Purdue, Maryland

6. Purdue

HOME: Minny, Maryland, Illinois, Debbie, IU
AWAY: PSU, Iowa, N'w, Wisky

HOME: Illinois, Debbie, Maryland, PSU, Wisky
AWAY: Purdue, Rutgers, Iowa, N'w

1-4 are all really similar. Big dropoff in difficulty between Iowa and Nebraska. Much depends upon how good Michigan State and Penn State really are. Wisconsin has both Michigan and OSU on the schedule. I think those 2 are clearly the class of the East.

Drawing Penn State as a crossover in 2019 is going to be luxury for both Iowa and Minnesota.

They are replacing 16 starters, and have no quarterback. And their trip to Iowa will be their first tough road game. They play @ Maryland in September, but there will be 30,000 Penn State fans in College Park.

Drawing Penn State as a crossover in 2019 is going to be luxury for both Iowa and Minnesota.

They are replacing 16 starters, and have no quarterback. And their trip to Iowa will be their first tough road game. They play @ Maryland in September, but there will be 30,000 Penn State fans in College Park.
Iowa's games against BOTH PSU and Wisky might prove interesting ... particularly given that both will likely feature new starting QBs.

Home or away is not that big a deal to me especially against quality programs. For a few years with both Nebr and ISU it seamed as if the Home team lost.
I do note that an early game @ Indiana or @ Purdue can be very sleepy and has caused issues for the Hawks in the past.

Iowa's games against BOTH PSU and Wisky might prove interesting ... particularly given that both will likely feature new starting QBs.

I think Mertz for WIsconsin will be far more prepared and game as a Frosh. He's a stud.

Penn State has a really good Freshman coming in from Oregon, but they weren't planning on him starting. Tommy Stevens was going to take over, but he left.

I really think Penn State is going to have a miserable season, even with a decent defense coming back.

I think Mertz for WIsconsin will be far more prepared and game as a Frosh. He's a stud.

Penn State has a really good Freshman coming in from Oregon, but they weren't planning on him starting. Tommy Stevens was going to take over, but he left.

I really think Penn State is going to have a miserable season, even with a decent defense coming back.

Don’t hand Mertz the Heisman trophy before he steps foot on the field .. Iowa has had their share of duds at QB that were supposed to be all world.. and didn’t pan out. Wisconsin has some as well like the dual threat QB out of Florida that was a 4 star and never sniffed the field.. will Mertz be good? More likely yes than no..

Debbie's schedule is easier than a MAC team.

Who let the bastards into the Big Ten anyway?

Tom Osborn has the personality of a rock. Did his daughter date Lawrence Phillips?

Even God tried to flood those bastards out.
whats the story about Scott Frost being a coward and hiding in a closet while Phillips abused his girlfriend

Don’t hand Mertz the Heisman trophy before he steps foot on the field .. Iowa has had their share of duds at QB that were supposed to be all world.. and didn’t pan out. Wisconsin has some as well like the dual threat QB out of Florida that was a 4 star and never sniffed the field.. will Mertz be good? More likely yes than no..
does Wisky return most of their OL?

Just thinking out loud, but if we can stop their run with our DL, how is their passing game gonna look?

Its gonna be crazy in the B1G West this year

He threw 5 TDs in the Army All American Game. He's the most talented QB to ever sign with Wisconsin. And I'm not handing him the Heisman. He still has to try and manufacture offense with a very marginal crew of receiving talent.

But he's a special player.

2. Illinois

3. Northwestern

5. Debbie

6. Purdue

Ummm cupcakes!
tasty-cupcakes-on-stand-260nw-778287970.jpg

2. Illinois

3. Northwestern

5. Debbie

6. Purdue

I don't care what their record is, we simply need to win that game(Purdue).

Whatever Iowa does, would love to see them sweep the 6 West teams.

I would love to see that too. But if you look at the talent on the rosters they are pretty good except for Illinois. All the coaches are pretty good too except for Lovie. I'm with those who expect a dogfight.

Nebraska has a pretty favorable schedule, all the tough games at home and relatively easy road environments on the road.

I would love to see that too. But if you look at the talent on the rosters they are pretty good except for Illinois. All the coaches are pretty good too except for Lovie. I'm with those who expect a dogfight.
In looking at the 6 teams I hate them all alot except ILL and that's probably because they are no good. TIred of losing to NW and Purdue, and of course Wis.

Iowa has more production returning than any team in the West. That is even with the loss of 4 underclassmen to the draft.

I have no issues with our road schedule.
We have 3 straight wins in both Ames and Lincoln. Home or away did not cause Iowa to lose to Wisconsin, NW, nor Purdue that few years.

Debbie's schedule is easier than a MAC team.

Who let the bastards into the Big Ten anyway?

Tom Osborn has the personality of a rock. Did his daughter date Lawrence Phillips?

Even God tried to flood those bastards out.
There are a lot of flooded Iowa farm fields between Omaha and Missouri also. I thought I was driving in Louisiana last week when I was headed to KC.

Iowa has more production returning than any team in the West. That is even with the loss of 4 underclassmen to the draft.

I have no issues with our road schedule.
We have 3 straight wins in both Ames and Lincoln. Home or away did not cause Iowa to lose to Wisconsin, NW, nor Purdue that few years.
When you break it down,

On offense:
* Our OL should be good
* Our QB is as experienced as you can get
* Our RBs should be good
* No more excuses for our WRs; they are very experienced

The only concern should be at TE.

On defense:
* Our DL should be good
* Our LBs should be good & experienced
* Our back 4 should be good

On Special teams:
* Our new punter will be an upgrade, creating better field position
* We have 1 kicker for kick offs & 1 kicker for FGs

We should have a solid team!

Convince me I am wrong!

;)

I have Minnesota battling it out for the west crown - they were scary good at the end of the year and last 6 games actually

Purdue was most impressive win but they also lost to Illinois a week earlier by 24 to start Nov. guess we will see that first month of the season how good they are with a trip out west vs Fresno st in a night game and at Purdue to end the month of Sept.

Purdue was most impressive win but they also lost to Illinois a week earlier by 24 to start Nov. guess we will see that first month of the season how good they are with a trip out west vs Fresno st in a night game and at Purdue to end the month of Sept.

Agree. Most of us Gopher fans are nervously excited. Our hope is that the team came together after the switch of DC's, and will continue to move forward. Like any other team in the west, we have some question marks. Left tackle and center come to mind. With that said, the overall depth (2 deeps) seems to be the most our Gophers have had in some time. September will give us a good idea of whether that matters or not.

Last edited:
Agree. Most of us Gopher fans I nervously excited. Our hope is that the team came together after the switch of DC's, and will continue to move forward. Like any other team in the west, we have some question marks. Left tackle and center come to mind. With that said, the overall depth (2 deeps) seems to be the most our Gophers have had in some time. September will give us a good idea of whether that matters or not.

I know Fresno St was really good last year and lost a close one at Minny. I have no clue how much they return but Iowa fans would tell you they have bad memories when we played out west with a late starting times (@ASU 04' and Arizona 10'). That alone would make me nervous about the Fresno St game.

Reactions: STPGopherfan

Hope its under the lights!

Reactions: BUCKSNDUCKS
I know Fresno St was really good last year and lost a close one at Minny. I have no clue how much they return but Iowa fans would tell you they have bad memories when we played out west with a late starting times (@ASU 04' and Arizona 10'). That alone would make me nervous about the Fresno St game.

Jeff Tedford alone makes me nervous about this game. Night helps heat wise, but being out of routine due to the time change could be a factor(game will end after midnight). I think my Gophers will win, but I am expecting a dogfight. Then the following week the team will face an option team. Luckily there will be an extra week to prep for Purdue.

Still all of those are need to win games. The schedule is back loaded, so the team will need to gain momentum. PSU, at Iowa, at Northwestern, and Wisconsin is tough for any team.

Sean Clifford will start for Penn State.Coach Franklin and the staff are really high on him.His backup is Will Levis who is a redshirt freshman.Both are good passers who can run.
The defense lost some good players but they have recruited quite well and have some really highly rated players all through the roster and coming in as freshmen.The offensive line will be better and again the recruiting has been really good on the offensive side also.

Sean Clifford will start for Penn State.Coach Franklin and the staff are really high on him.His backup is Will Levis who is a redshirt freshman.Both are good passers who can run.
The defense lost some good players but they have recruited quite well and have some really highly rated players all through the roster and coming in as freshmen.The offensive line will be better and again the recruiting has been really good on the offensive side also.

Nice report, thanks.

Reactions: brupsu

Penn State will lose 5 or more games in 2019.

Our road schedule is going to be brutal. The league office did us no favors.
I cannot help but remember the 2009 season ... we had an extremely tough road slate that year too ... and yet we were a razor-thin margin from being undefeated that season. You have to play the games on schedule ... and if you have a veteran squad ... you can often be more focussed for away games than home-games.

If the Hawks can actually manage to win more of its close games ... then we're looking at an opportunity to have a really nice record. Otherwise, we'll likely see a result similar to the one we've grown used to.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT