ADVERTISEMENT

B1G West Thoughts

Aug 5, 2010
Let’s talk our half of the division. * Please note that this what I know/think. I’d also like to admit that I’ve had several beers tonight. Please forgive my WOB’s:

IOWA:

• QB is a stud. If he gets more accurate (I.e has a couple more WR hold on to balls) he’ll be All-B1G level.
  • Easy-ish schedule. Not top 5 in the country like last year.
  • Linebackers and O-line are suspect, especially during suspension period.
  • Coaching is one year more mature than ‘17. Huge, IMHO.
Wisconsin:
  • Great RB and returing injured WR’s.
  • Defense is good > great.
  • QB is a game manager who won’t hurt them but may not assert them knot the CFP talk.
  • Chryst nd Leonhard are good coaches. Christ is 2-2 as an HC v IOWA
Northwestern:

• Pat Fitzgerald, unfortunately, is probably the best coach in the division
  • Lost a lot of dynamic players last year.
  • New practice facilities are sick AF
Nebraska:

• Good young coach who needs to instill his culture
  • Stanley Morgan is a stud. Needs a team to help him to be great.
Purdue
  • Brohm is a great coach.
  • Consistency and talent may still be challenges.
Minnesota:

• It’s finally year one for Brew-fleck.
  • No QB’s who have experience.
  • Good to great RB.
Illinois:

• Lovie may not love his job.
  • DB coach resigned.

What are your thoughts? I admit I missed most everything.

Reactions: tdstick
Let’s talk our half of the division. * Please note that this what I know/think. I’d also like to admit that I’ve had several beers tonight. Please forgive my WOB’s:

IOWA:

• QB is a stud. If he gets more accurate (I.e has a couple more WR hold on to balls) he’ll be All-B1G level.
Wisconsin:
  • QB is a game manager who won’t hurt them but may not assert them knot the CFP talk.
Northwestern:

Nebraska:

Purdue
Minnesota:

• Good to great RB.
Illinois:

• DB coach resigned.

Don't disagree with anything. Wisconsin is clear favorite. Team with best chance other than BAdgers to win division is Iowa. Minnesota and Illinois appear to be in level of badness by themselves.

For Wisconsin.... you mentioned ‘Great RB and returning receivers’ but no mention of their OL which is the machine that makes everything go??? It’s thought to be one of the best in the country.

It sounds like Wiscy WR Q Cephus is facing some legal trouble. I don't know his status for the season but their receiver corps is still pretty solid without him.

Hornibrook is their weak link, but the parts around him are so strong it shouldn't matter.

Beat me to it, And1Hawk. The real strength of the stinking Badgers is that OL. 3 guys that could not only be all conference, but AA candidates as well.

That is the first thing that comes to my mind with regards to Wisky.

Badgers?! We don’t need no stinking Badgers!

For Wisconsin.... you mentioned ‘Great RB and returning receivers’ but no mention of their OL which is the machine that makes everything go??? It’s thought to be one of the best in the country.

Yeah, I neglected a lot of things for each team. In the case of Wisconsin, them having a great OL is not really news, but neither is a great RB.

WR being good definitely is and Cephus legal issue will be problematic. I hadn’t heard of that.

https://www.si.com/college-football...s-leave-absence-unspecified-charges-wisconsin

Reactions: And1Hawk
Yeah, I neglected a lot of things for each team. In the case of Wisconsin, them having a great OL is not really news, but neither is a great RB.

WR being good definitely is and Cephus legal issue will be problematic. I hadn’t heard of that.

https://www.si.com/college-football...s-leave-absence-unspecified-charges-wisconsin

I totally understand. The OL is hot button for me as all of the focus is always on everything but a team’s OL (the skilled players, scheme, play calling, etc.) but the hidden truth is offensive production is determined most by the quality of the OL. Nothing works without blocking and your skilled players shine when they have room and space to operate.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Wisconsin might be better than last year but their schedule is going to be an issue: @ Iowa, @ Michigan, @ NW, @ PSU, and @ Purdue.

This schedule gives Iowa a chance to win the west with a couple losses in conference if the Hawks can beat Bucky. I like Iowa’s chances. 11-1 on the season w/ a loss at PSU.

Go Hawks.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I totally understand. The OL is hot button for me as all of the focus is always on everything but a team’s OL (the skilled players, scheme, play calling, etc.) but the hidden truth is offensive production is determined most by the quality of the OL. Nothing works without blocking and your skilled players shine when they have room and space to operate.
If Iowa is reliant on the quality of their O-Line to be successful , than Wisconsin has the offensive line that we need. The only thing that may derail the Badgers is their schedule.

Pat Fitzgerald, unfortunately, is probably the best coach in the division.

I'm not sold on Fitz -what major upsets has he coached in the past 5 years? I don't agree that being at Northwestern makes it harder to recruit - Stanford doesn't appear to have problems getting good players.

If Iowa is reliant on the quality of their O-Line to be successful , than Wisconsin has the offensive line that we need. The only thing that may derail the Badgers is their schedule.

I agree. The Wisky OL >> than ours most years and it’s not even debatable. We might get the Joe Moore award but they get the wins, bowl wins, NFL draft picks and offensive stats to show it.

Reactions: badger-007

Yep. Normally I'd say the Wisconsin game is for all the marbles in the West...this year that may not be the case. A win over the Badgers may be bigger than normal, but in 2018 a loss to Bucky might not be a mortal wound.

I agree. The Wisky OL >> than ours most years and it’s not even debatable. We might get the Joe Moore award but they get the wins, bowl wins, NFL draft picks and offensive stats to show it.

it amazes me... really.... how under-rated Wisconsin is year in and year out...
over the past 7 years (since the B1G went to divisions) Wisconsin has participated in 5 Big Ten Championship games.

5 of the 7 Big Ten Championships... think about that.

Ohio State 3
Michigan State 3
Penn State 1
Iowa 1
Nebraska 1

Michigan has never played in a Big Ten Championship...
yet they are often viewed as a powerhouse greater than Wisconsin...
how is that happening?

last 4 meetings:

11/18/2017 vs. Michigan (8-5) W 24-10
10/1/2016 @ Michigan (10-3) L 7-14
11/20/2010 @ Michigan (7-6) W 48-28
11/14/2009 vs. Michigan (5-7) W 45-24

think about this....
Michigan winning the East would be a bigger surprise than Purdue winning the West.

Michigan was 4th in the East last season
Purdue was 3rd in the West last season

Michigan is on a 3 game losing streak.
Purdue is on a 3 game winning streak.

perceptions don't always fit reality.

but the one thing that should be crystal clear for everybody involved...
you gotta beat Wisconsin if you wanna win the West.

its the only way.

over the past 7 years (since the B1G went to divisions) Wisconsin has participated in 5 Big Ten Championship games.

Ohio State 3
Michigan State 3
Penn State 1
Iowa 1
Nebraska 1

how is that happening?

last 4 meetings:

think about this....
Michigan winning the East would be a bigger surprise than Purdue winning the West.

its the only way.

Totally agree. I personally think we are not anywhere near the same level as Wisconsin. Yes we will play them hard but they are flat out better. I’m not even sold we do any better than 2-2 in our first 4 games and fight to get to 7. OL is a major concern.

What has shocked me over Kirk’s tenure is how many seasons we can’t put out an excellent OL across all 5 spots. We often have an NFL guy or two in almost every group but as a group of 5 we lack quality and consistency. Wisconsin just loads and reloads and loads again yet there is all this praise and assumption that the Iowa lines are among the best? If the OL is praised how on earth is the offense normally among the bottom half of the nation. Oh yes, it’s receivers, play calling, etc but not OL !

1. Wisconsin

Everybody else.

The farthest my memory goes back is the early 90's and last years B10 championship game was the first time I remember a b10 team, not named Michigan, that I thought could go toe to toe with OSU and it wasnt going to take luck or some special performance to beat them. Wisconson has moved into the perennial national level conversation and doesnt sound silly being a team talking about the national championship. The rest of the b10 its Hope's and dreams.

(I'm sure there were some early to.mid 90s psu teams also but that was LONG ago in the football world.)

Last edited:

IOWA:

Wisconsin:
Northwestern:

Nebraska:

Purdue
Minnesota:

• Good to great RB.
Illinois:

• DB coach resigned.

I think you are underestimating Wisconsin's QB Hornibrook. He played the best game of his life in their bowl win over Miami, and is more than a game manager. I hope I am wrong , but I think he will be very good QB this year.

Reactions: TouchdownMyPants

Ohio State 3
Michigan State 3
Penn State 1
Iowa 1
Nebraska 1

how is that happening?

last 4 meetings:

think about this....

its the only way.

I think that might be true for fans outside the conference who don't know much about the B1G Ten, as far as name recognition is concerned. Most fans, though, know Michigan has been down since Lloyd Carr left. Jim Harbaugh was obviously expected to bring Michigan football back to national prominence, but by and large that hasn't happened yet. Regardless, most knowledgeable fans know that Wisconsin has been a better program than Michigan for many years now.

I will agree Wisconsin is underappreciated. They are a model of consistency non blue bloods never achieve. And, they are what a lot of us thought or perhaps hoped Iowa could maintain after that great 2002-2004 run.

Reactions: And1Hawk
I think you are underestimating Wisconsin's QB Hornibrook. He played the best game of his life in their bowl win over Miami, and is more than a game manager. I hope I am wrong , but I think he will be very good QB this year.

Hornibrook is a very good QB... proved it last year...
25 TD's
8.3 yards per attempt

he is a Big Time quarterback playing for a Big Time team in the Big Ten Conference...
no question about it.

but Wisconsin's bread and butter is the run game...
they got O-Lineman who are just too big... too quick... and too smart.

defenders can't fight their way around them.

and lets face it... Iowa struggled against the run last year.
Iowa gave up 5.1 yards per run last year.

Iowa is in a heap of trouble

but... it is a new year... a new team... and nobody knows the future
anything can happen.

I think that might be true for fans outside the conference who don't know much about the B1G Ten, as far as name recognition is concerned. Most fans, though, know Michigan has been down since Lloyd Carr left. Jim Harbaugh was obviously expected to bring Michigan football back to national prominence, but by and large that hasn't happened yet. Regardless, most knowledgeable fans know that Wisconsin has been a better program than Michigan for many years now.

I will agree Wisconsin is underappreciated. They are a model of consistency non blue bloods never achieve. And, they are what a lot of us thought or perhaps hoped Iowa could maintain after that great 2002-2004 run.
perhaps you can explain that for chad leistikow...
he's predicted Michigan to win the Big Ten 2 of the last 3 years.

Totally agree. I personally think we are not anywhere near the same level as Wisconsin. Yes we will play them hard but they are flat out better. I’m not even sold we do any better than 2-2 in our first 4 games and fight to get to 7. OL is a major concern.

What has shocked me over Kirk’s tenure is how many seasons we can’t put out an excellent OL across all 5 spots. We often have an NFL guy or two in almost every group but as a group of 5 we lack quality and consistency. Wisconsin just loads and reloads and loads again yet there is all this praise and assumption that the Iowa lines are among the best? If the OL is praised how on earth is the offense normally among the bottom half of the nation. Oh yes, it’s receivers, play calling, etc but not OL !
Consider the Wisconsin squad in '15 ... really good OL ... but the quality of the RBs were down by their standards. Clement was dinged ... and they were mostly reliant on Ogunbowale and Deal ... and, even then, Deal ultimately got dinged too. That season, their O was mediocre by their own standards.

Much of their success that season was on just scoring enough points ... and relying on a really strong D.

I totally agree with the premise that Wisconsin's OL is what really makes them scary ... however, the quality of their skill players is what can make the difference in terms of bottom-line production. Also, I don't disagree that Wisconsin's OL has out-performed Iowa's OL. However, I'd also contend that for most years, Wisconsin tends to more higher-end talent at RB than the Hawks ... and that DOES make a difference.

Wisconsin might be better than last year but their schedule is going to be an issue: @ Iowa, @ Michigan, @ NW, @ PSU, and @ Purdue.

This schedule gives Iowa a chance to win the west with a couple losses in conference if the Hawks can beat Bucky. I like Iowa’s chances. 11-1 on the season w/ a loss at PSU.

Go Hawks.
Couldn’t agree more. Time to get it done with our schedule. Chuck Long predicted the West is on the rise. Add Purdue and Nebraska (maybe Minnesota) to Iowa, Northwestern, and Wisconsin and the competition in the near future does not look to be getting any easier.

Reactions: Harbinger273
Consider the Wisconsin squad in '15 ... really good OL ... but the quality of the RBs were down by their standards. Clement was dinged ... and they were mostly reliant on Ogunbowale and Deal ... and, even then, Deal ultimately got dinged too. That season, their O was mediocre by their own standards.

Much of their success that season was on just scoring enough points ... and relying on a really strong D.

The 2015 OL was bad, the worst in a long time at UW. After Dan Voltz went down with an injury, 4 redshirt freshmen started on that line. They ended up with -1 ypc in a game against NW lol

Wisconsin:

With Cephus taking time away from the program and with the graduation of Fumagalli - that takes away from some of the octane from their O. Hornibrook reminds me a lot of Stanzi ... he seems to play best when he's in the "crunch time." Thus, in many respects, I think that he's a lot better than a lot of Hawks fans think. However, his game isn't without flaws ... and I think that the Hawks are capable of exploiting his tendencies. Of course, limiting Hornibrook is great ... however, Taylor behind that OL is still good enough to win games. Thus, the Hawks have to do a better job of limiting the Badger running game.

Most importantly, compared to prior years, the Hawkeye O has to execute and score points.

Hawk fans need to realize that the Badgers actually DID lose quite a bit of firepower from the D ... particularly on the DL and in the secondary. They return Dixon, who is a stud - but one guy does not a secondary make. The Badgers graduated their top 3 DEs ... and then one of their top backups got injured and is out for the whole '18 season. Also, another top candidate at DE, Loudermilk, is rehabbing from a knee surgery ... and he's projected to not return until the game against Iowa.

Now, the Badgers ought to still be strong at LB ... and their DT is a freakin' impressive talent. However, I genuinely believe that the Wisconsin D ought to be exploitable. Furthermore, particularly on the DL, they're not a particularly deep group. Thus, they could be hurting in a big hurry if Sagapolu gets injured.

Anyhow, the more I think about the match-up ... the more I think that the Hawks could win ... particularly if we can limit Taylor's production. Exciting stuff!

Reactions: Wadzinator
The 2015 OL was bad, the worst in a long time at UW. After Dan Voltz went down with an injury, 4 redshirt freshmen started on that line. They ended up with -1 ypc in a game against NW lol
Part of that is also on the RBs too. But sure - injuries will do that to an OL.

The one thing I disagree with is Fitz is the best in the west. Brohm takes the cake in my book. Rankings wise this year, it seems like Wisconsins to lose, the schedule next year is a lot easier for us to make some sort of run at a divison title.

Wisconsin
Iowa
Nebraska
NW
Purdue
Illinois

Yep. Normally I'd say the Wisconsin game is for all the marbles in the West...this year that may not be the case. A win over the Badgers may be bigger than normal, but in 2018 a loss to Bucky might not be a mortal wound.
wiscy is still a must win imo
if we lose, we'll need to go 8-0 in the other games and need wiscy to lose 2 of theirs
that is highly unlikely
even more unlikely would be for us to lose 1 more and wiscy to lose 3.

Reactions: mrF6n6
Connie is clearly the favorite team. And until proven otherwise, the best. The rest of the West doesn’t much matter after that. Iowa will have their shot.

Fitz is overrated. He is under .500 in the Big Ten. Everyone just goes, “Its NW, you can’t win there.”

wiscy is the best in the west. And by a significant margin.
Their schedule is tougher to be sure, but they have the firepower to handle it.
Hornibrook isn't all that, but he is more talented than just a game manager.
Iowa's got an outside shot to take the west if wiscy stumbles given the Hawks have a relatively favorable schedule.
I could see pu sneaking in there as a dark horse for second.
Not sure about nw.
despite debby's fanbase love for frost, the turnaround there will take more than one season.
minny's boat is going to keep rowing in circles.
illanoy, they're just plain bad.

wiscy is still a must win imo
if we lose, we'll need to go 8-0 in the other games and need wiscy to lose 2 of theirs
that is highly unlikely
even more unlikely would be for us to lose 1 more and wiscy to lose 3.

You make some good points, but I still think Wisconsin is vulnerable with their schedule...I don't think its impossible that they lose two other games regardless of how the Iowa game plays out.

Wisconsin, like iowa, thrives on being the underdog, disrespected, looked past... they are being anointed right now... Iowa was anointed in 2010, 2016... things are different when you have a target on your head instead of shooting the arrow. Iowa is shooting the arrow... they have the pieces. Need some luck healthwise because the hawks aren't deep... little magic of a night game. But it's possible to beat Wisconsin. I believe...

wiscy is the best in the west. And by a significant margin.
Their schedule is tougher to be sure, but they have the firepower to handle it.
Hornibrook isn't all that, but he is more talented than just a game manager.
Iowa's got an outside shot to take the west if wiscy stumbles given the Hawks have a relatively favorable schedule.
I could see pu sneaking in there as a dark horse for second.
Not sure about nw.
despite debby's fanbase love for frost, the turnaround there will take more than one season.
minny's boat is going to keep rowing in circles.
illanoy, they're just plain bad.
PU is one heck of a dark horse ... they lost a ton on D ... and they're not yet at a point where they "reload" on D. Overall, I agree their program is likely on the uptick ... but next year still ought to be a transition year of sorts.

Wisky will be good
Minny - average
Neb- Starting to get better- would love to have Morgan on the Hawks team
Purdue- Good coaching, a lot better team, still inconsistent. We got one of their best games last year
NW- good team but QB concerns
Ill- Bad

Think the west is there for the taking.

the last 6 years Pat Fitzgerald has produced three 10-win teams.
the last 3 seasons he is a combined 18-8 in the B1G.
Northwestern has beaten Iowa 2 straight games.
they are for real.
I guess we'll see how they do this year with a tough schedule - MI, MI St, Wisc, IA and Notre Dame. If they go 3 and 2 then I'll be ready to proclaim Fitz as the best coach in the B10.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT