ADVERTISEMENT

B1G West

Auger

HR All-American
Sep 14, 2007
As frustrating as Iowa is this year to watch the B1G West is wide open. I predicted Wisconsin would be down but they are way down. Minnesota minus Ibrahim looked very average. Purdue has holes. Northwestern and Nebraska are 2 of the worst power 5 teams in the country. The Illini under big Burt look solid.

I have no faith in KF, BF, Petras and the Iowa Offense to take advantage of a really poor B1G West this year. It's Minnesota and Purdue's turn for the easy B1G schedule something KF likes to squander. However Minnesota without a healthy Ibrahim and Purdue are far from complete teams. Who wins the West? If USC and UCLA weren't joining the B1G I think this season would finally kill the East, West Divisions in the B1G. Alas USC and UCLA will surely bring change to how the B1G is divided up.

Side note I wonder how much flack Fleck is going to be getting with how he has handled Ibrahim? He was getting some pressure this year for how much he was running Ibrahim even when games were in hand. Is he wearing down his star back too early and getting him dinged up before the meat of the B1G schedule?

With a likely new alignment coming to the B1G one big rumor out of Badger land is Alvarez is pushing for 3 protected rivalry games. He wants Iowa, and Minnesota as two of those games. He has said it will likely only be two protected rivalry games that the B1G agrees to. With Minnesota and Iowa as his top 2 who would Iowa be pushing for? Nebraska and Minnesota? If it ends up being 3 protected rivals Iowa could end up with Wisconsin, Minnesota and Nebraska.

Can anyone in the West stay within 21 points of Ohio State?
It will be ugly whomever is the sacrificial lamb.

I completely understand why the East teams hate the current alignment. I'm sure Maryland, Indiana and even Rutgers feel as though their records would be much better each year if they were in the West. I think Wisconsin has done what it can for the West's reputation but Iowa and Nebraska have not lived up to the B1G's hopes when they first created the division's.

Getting to to B1G title game due to everybody in West sucking and then getting a woodshed beating....nothing special. Just like last year, everybody knew Iowa was a pretender and then the beatdown proved it.

I'd be happier to see a QB change to Labas or Carson and seeing a QB that makes plays with his feet and makes some nice throws that makes me say, wow! Makes one feel better for next season.

Getting to to B1G title game due to everybody in West sucking and then getting a woodshed beating....nothing special. Just like last year, everybody knew Iowa was a pretender and then the beatdown proved it.

I'd be happier to see a QB change to Labas or Carson and seeing a QB that makes plays with his feet and makes some nice throws that makes me say, wow! Makes one feel better for next season.

Would love to see another QB get snaps. It feels impossible that a different QB would HURT our chances are winning.

Maybe one of them is quicker than a 50 year old dude with a beer gut.

Iowa never claimed to be Big Ten champion material last year. They were not pretending that they were.

Any fan that has a bead on the current state of the program has pretty nasty feeling in their belly. The QB situation is pretty ugly right now. Could Padilla be an upgrade? Yes I believe he would be. However he is far from a solid QB. Is he the guaranteed starter next year due to loyalty KF has to his vets? I am skeptical of Labas. Iowa just doesn't develop QB's. I think the development has actually even gotten worse.

The OL is a real problem right now. We have seen the unit really begin to fall off these past 5 years. I think a lot of that is on BF. I think its far to early to judge the 2nd year guys but there is also really no depth. The lack of any solid depth is new as of these past 5 seasons. These past 2/3 years we have seen it creep into the starters where Iowa is starting guys that fall well below average. Without transfers this is a multiple season problem for the offense.

The D will always be solid to great at Iowa but they will lose some All-America and All B1G talent after this season. It's hard not to see the unit taking a slight step back next year.

Brian Ferentz and Kirk Ferentz aren't going anywhere anytime soon. So expect to continue seeing an offense that is among the nations worst and one that might ceiling in the 70's-80's.

Iowa's chances of getting back to the B1G Championship and taking the program to new heights is running out of time. The B1G West set KF and Iowa up perfectly to take the program to new levels. KF has mostly squandered that opportunity. The B1G West will die when USC and UCLA join the conference. For me personally I always thought a Rose Bowl victory would be the Holy Grail for Iowa. Without the B1G West to aide Iowa I just don't see Iowa getting another shot at it.

With a likely new alignment coming to the B1G one big rumor out of Badger land is Alvarez is pushing for 3 protected rivalry games. He wants Iowa, and Minnesota as two of those games. He has said it will likely only be two protected rivalry games that the B1G agrees to. With Minnesota and Iowa as his top 2 who would Iowa be pushing for? Nebraska and Minnesota? If it ends up being 3 protected rivals Iowa could end up with Wisconsin, Minnesota and Nebraska.

I think Sparty would be hurt most by two protected rivalries. Michigan and Penn State. I wonder if the conference would look to balance things out with scheduling? For example, if you have two protected rivals that usually suck, you get somewhat more difficult teams in your rotation?

I think Sparty would be hurt most by two protected rivalries. Michigan and Penn State. I wonder if the conference would look to balance things out with scheduling? For example, if you have two protected rivals that usually suck, you get somewhat more difficult teams in your rotation?
I think that's why it's more likely there would be 3 protected than 2. 2 traditional rivalries and 1 regional. That way they could try to even things out a bit by keeping the 3rd a little more flexible. I think the simplest thing would be to just add USC and UCLA to the West and ship Purdue to the East but I get why Ohio St, Penn St and Michigan don't like that plan. Good chance most years 2 of those 3 are the top 2 teams.

I think it was an OSU writer that did a mock schedule for the B1G where every team had 3 protected rivals and then a rotating schedule for over a 3 year period for the rest of the teams. It definitely hurts Wisconsin and Iowa. MSU was about the same. The path for Ohio St, Michigan and Penn St definitely got easier as Penn St was not a protected rival for either Ohio St or Michigan.

I can't remember who but someone did one where they figured the 3rd protected rival was only protected 2 of the 3 years. Or maybe all three were only protected 2 of the three years. Something like that. If it was all three I don't think that would fly with OSU and Michigan but it did make more sense on how to even the schedules out better and still maintain some of the old East West divisional games more often.

Nebraska may suck but they still have some talent and just smashed Indiana. And Indiana just beat Illinois last week. Purdue probably the favorite.
B1G is so bad 4-14 its a reshuffle every week. Those 11 teams are all going to beat up on each other. Maybe Maryland is legit? Maybe Ibrahim can stay healthy? Right now though nobody is reliable. Even PSU has looked shaky. It's too bad Iowa has a broke offense this year.

Alvarez has retired, he has zero governance or influence in such things.

FWIW- I would agree with Alvy’s hypothetical pushing, and I hope he hypothetically gets it across the line.

Alvarez has retired, he has zero governance or influence in such things.

FWIW- I would agree with Alvy’s hypothetical pushing, and I hope he hypothetically gets it across the line.
He is still advising.

If you don't have an offense or a mobile QB, alignment, rivals, and the rest of it just don't matter--which is where KF and BF are quickly pushing Iowa football--to the just doesn't matter stage.

Oh no Kirk will use the excuse next year that we have a qb playing with no experience. That will be the bullshit excuse for sucking next year. Hell maybe Petrash is planning on coming back, all he needs is to attend another qb camp and he will get his suck turned around I'm sure. That would be salt in the wound if he actually uses a 6th year and starts every game next year.

Agree- go young and mobile

Nebraska may suck but they still have some talent and just smashed Indiana. And Indiana just beat Illinois last week. Purdue probably the favorite
Yes, Purdue the favorite. No on talent. Don't confuse talent with football players. Smashed Indiana LOL.

Purdue definitely the favorite. Probably two hardest big ten games are behind them. They should be undefeated. Illinois and Iowa probably playing an elimination game in the west this Saturday night. Illinois is probably dropping a game at Penn State. And Iowa is losing at Ohio State. So the loser is basically at three losses in the big ten already.

Purdue definitely the favorite. Probably two hardest big ten games are behind them. They should be undefeated. Illinois and Iowa probably playing an elimination game in the west this Saturday night. Illinois is probably dropping a game at Penn State. And Iowa is losing at Ohio State. So the loser is basically at three losses in the big ten already.
Illinois does not play Penn State

Nebraska may suck but they still have some talent and just smashed Indiana. And Indiana just beat Illinois last week. Purdue probably the favorite.
Go back to your husker board, Ray. And fap to your 1 BIG win for the year

Will there be a B1G West team that gets to 7 conference wins?

I'm thinking it's more likely that 6-3 is the top of the division and there will be more than one team that gets there. I can see 2 or even 3 teams at 6-3; the division crown goes to a tie-breaker.

Reactions: dadster
Oh no Kirk will use the excuse next year that we have a qb playing with no experience. That will be the bullshit excuse for sucking next year. Hell maybe Petrash is planning on coming back, all he needs is to attend another qb camp and he will get his suck turned around I'm sure. That would be salt in the wound if he actually uses a 6th year and starts every game next year.
I would LMAO if that happened.

I would LMAO if that happened.
Petras may be coming back given Ferentz is obviously not concerned about another QB even taking one snap in a game. The whole Petras debacle is impossible to logically understand. JMO

Reactions: MAXIMUSHAWKEYE
Nah... just sick of husker tools on a hawkeye board trying to convince posters their team/program is anything but trash recently

But they're not trash recently. They just won by 14 points and you're mad about it because Iowa is taking L's. I get that but stop acting like anyone in the B1G West is much better than anyone else. That's hilarious. It's wide open right now.

ADVERTISEMENT