ADVERTISEMENT

B1G's response to OU/UT to SEC?

Win5002

HR MVP
Jan 3, 2006
I hate the idea of CFB consolidating to basically consolidating to two power conferences and a 3-4 lesser leagues. BUT the B1G will rue the day they completely lost the state of Texas to the SEC. yes, the B1G will still always have eyeballs but it struggles so badly in the number of recruits for football in its footprint compared to the SEC.

If I was the B1G I would pull all the stops out to secure UT, OU, USC & ND. Nebraska said it was making a 100 year decision. I think the B1G will regret conceding that much ground to the SEC for a long time.

USC, UCLA, UW, OR and one or both of Stanford/Cal gives ND all of its old rivalries in conference and gives partners to USC. I would also allow UT to pick 1 or 2 regional partners of their choice if needed to get Texas. Then the B1G can own the northern part of Texas and have a foothold in southern Texas even if it is second to the SEC(time would tell). It would also have California for recruiting which is valuable although not as valuable as Texas long term due to trends.

This would seem to align with UT's philosophy more and 4 additional blue bloods would command as much or more to the SEC or very to close to it.

Adding NC, VA, Ga. Tech & FSU wouldn't do near as much as above but still could be looked at down the line. The B1G would still be dwarfed as a brand in Georgia with Ga. TEch especially and even in Florida with FSU.

Reactions: WSC72
I actually think the most likely scenerio is a 16 to 32 school super conference that will basically operate as its own league, and all the schools left out will be mostly be irrelevant to major college sports.

Reactions: amahawk
Eject Nebraska from the B1G for failing academic standards (being the only school kicked out of the AAU— embarrassing!) and bring in Texas to piss them off even more.

Reactions: hawkcub
Financially, we are a top 15 earner
I think that is circular reasoning. We are a top 15 earner because Iowa is in the B1G and gets B1G money. If you ranked the top 20 "brands" in college athletics we would be out and then the next 10 would include Iowa. Not necessarily in order.

Top 20:
Alabama
Florida
Georgia
LSU
Texas A&M
Auburn
Florida State
Clemson
Miami
North Carolina
Notre Dame
Oklahoma
Texas
Michigan
Ohio State
Penn State
Wisconsin
Oregon
USC
UCLA

Next 10:
Iowa
Michigan State
Nebraska
Washington
Stanford
Kansas
Tennessee
Duke
Cal
Colorado

It's weird to think about how schools like Minnesota, Illinois and Indiana would stack up (not good). Sleeping giants.

Of course this is just all for fun BS.

Last edited:
file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/78/08/F421D210-0B39-44EA-969F-1867B3C15DF4/Image-1.heic

I think that is circular reasoning. We are a top 15 earner because Iowa is in the B1G and gets B1G money. If you ranked the top 20 "brands" in college athletics we would be out and then the next 10 would include Iowa. Not necessarily in order.

Top 20:
Alabama
Florida
Georgia
LSU
Texas A&M
Auburn
Florida State
Clemson
Miami
North Carolina
Notre Dame
Oklahoma
Texas
Michigan
Ohio State
Penn State
Wisconsin
Oregon
USC
UCLA

Next 10:
Iowa
Michigan State
Nebraska
Washington
Stanford
Kansas
Tennessee
Duke
Cal
Colorado

It's weird to think about how schools like Minnesota, Illinois and Indiana would stack up (not good). Sleeping giants.

Of course this is just all for fun BS.

Virginia Tech is a much bigger brand than UVA in this state.

Reactions: Big Hawk D-Port
This is not true. Iowa is also Top 15 in ticket revenue and contributions, neither of which have anything to do with B1G distributions.
You could be right. What matters now is who is going to be able to recruit the best players, and that is going to mean NIL sponsorship deals, media exposure and TV deals. Teams from big population markets and historically relevant teams will be able to do that.

Iowa by no means the worst of that list, but I think you are kidding yourself if you put us in the top 15.

Reactions: bozotheclown
You could be right. What matters now is who is going to be able to recruit the best players, and that is going to mean NIL sponsorship deals, media exposure and TV deals. Teams from big population markets and historically relevant teams will be able to do that.

Iowa by no means the worst of that list, but I think you are kidding yourself if you put us in the top 15.
I disagree. Fans and businesses have shown that they will support the Iowa program with tickets and contributions.

Why do you expect other schools that don't have the same ticket and contribution support will suddenly have bigger NIL deals?

I actually think the most likely scenerio is a 16 to 32 school super conference that will basically operate as its own league, and all the schools left out will be mostly be irrelevant to major college sports.
That would be the end of college sports. There are 120 FBS schools. Fans of those programs would not tune in to the Big 32 or 16 out of spite. In the long run that would kill the golden goose.

Besides, how many elite schools can you put in one league? They need to play somebody, and if they play themselves they end up cannibalizing each other. These elite programs couldn't hack too many .500 seasons. They need Cannon fodder to feed off of.

Reactions: Hwk-I-St8
That would be the end of college sports. There are 120 FBS schools. Fans of those programs would not tune in to the Big 32 or 16 out of spite. In the long run that would kill the golden goose.

Besides, how many elite schools can you put in one league? They need to play somebody, and if they play themselves they end up cannibalizing each other. These elite programs couldn't hack too many .500 seasons. They need Cannon fodder to feed off of.
For the sake of arguement.. I dont think younger fans are as loyal to teams or schools as they are to players and brands. Im just saying the future consumer could be very different than what we have known.

I disagree. Fans and businesses have shown that they will support the Iowa program with tickets and contributions.

Why do you expect other schools that don't have the same ticket and contribution support will suddenly have bigger NIL deals?
Take a school like Colorado as an example. They have a growing, far bigger and more affluent population and corporate base than Iowa that could lure better players there in the future for the earning potential. Right now they might rank below Iowa in a “q” score but have a lot more upside.

32 would be a minimum or it will become a conference that only fans of the teams that are members care about. If your scenario came to fruition and Iowa wasn't in that super conference. I wouldn't pay any attention to it.

32 would be a minimum or it will become a conference that only fans of the teams that are members care about. If your scenario came to fruition and Iowa wasn't in that super conference. I wouldn't pay any attention to it.
32 isn't enough to keep CFB afloat nationally with the number of viewers they do now. If they went to 32 or even 40 too many fans tune out. Why watch semi-pro football with 19 to 21 year olds when they can watch the highest level of the sport with grown men in the NFL? Especially, if you are a fan of a team or region that is shut out?

What they appear to be doing is creating two super leagues financially with the SEC & B1G and limiting that membership to 40-48 and then having probably having a couple leagues of 32-40 teams that are paid significantly less to give the appearance of being in the club or being in the club but with greatly reduced access to playoffs and revenue. This is less risky of limiting the sport nationally but I still think it has risks of people tuning out of national televised regular season games, playoffs and bowls.

32 isn't enough to keep CFB afloat nationally with the number of viewers they do now. If they went to 32 or even 40 too many fans tune out. Why watch semi-pro football with 19 to 21 year olds when they can watch the highest level of the sport with grown men in the NFL? Especially, if you are a fan of a team or region that is shut out?

What they appear to be doing is creating two super leagues financially with the SEC & B1G and limiting that membership to 40-48 and then having probably having a couple leagues of 32-40 teams that are paid significantly less to give the appearance of being in the club or being in the club but with greatly reduced access to playoffs and revenue. This is less risky of limiting the sport nationally but I still think it has risks of people tuning out of national televised regular season games, playoffs and bowls.

B1G doesn't need to "respond" to SEC's moves. It is in a rather enviable position without doing anything.

If I were B1G Commish ... I'd put out feelers to Boston College. Otherwise, I'd sit tight until (a) BC came calling ... and (b) it brought Notre Dame with it. Oh, and I'd fight any effort at expanding the CFP to anything more than 4 teams TOOTH AND NAIL. I don't see how any other move makes sense as long as ND is independent.

The B12 and the ACC were the conferences on the Power Con bubble. B12 just got raided. They're done.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT