ADVERTISEMENT

B1Gs Session 1 Thread

I understand the frustration level. I really do. Little to no offensive scoring, close loses, questionable match tactics. But holy hell people. Over 62000 views of Hawk fans trashing our wrestlers, coaches, Todd Conner. Hell, even a MSU fan tried to give some perspective and change the narrative of the thread and they were met with calls of BS. Spencer dominated and gets a whopping 3 positive posts. Little to nothing mentioned about desanto, bull, or warner wins..

The trolls didnt even bother posting because the Hawk fans had it covered this time.

Heres to hoping the team and the fans have a better session II.

I understand the frustration level. I really do. Little to no offensive scoring, close loses, questionable match tactics. But holy hell people. Over 62000 views of Hawk fans trashing our wrestlers, coaches, Todd Conner. Hell, even a MSU fan tried to give some perspective and change the narrative of the thread and they were met with calls of BS. Spencer dominated and gets a whopping 3 positive posts. Little to nothing mentioned about desanto, bull, or warner wins..

The trolls didnt even bother posting because the Hawk fans had it covered this time.

You are too optimistic.... but I guess I threw away the season before it started. worst hawkeye wrestling fan mindset ever. If we get third at the ncaas and bull n Spence win it. I’ll be pretty hard

Not really any excuses. Guys are waiting until the last 30 secs to win it and that’s just not cutting bait. Thought the Ali shuffle was kinda douchie when not dominating a guy who is wrestling on one leg. GSteve is trying too hard to get that black hat.

Trust me, my friend, it's not that we don't want to cheer for all the great things that happened in session 1, such as Lee's pin. That was fricking awesome! And Sam Stoll wrestling Gable to a 5-3 loss, was also pretty impressive considering how his season started and the slow recovery process. But after that things got a little sluggish. It's hard to get overly excited when the Bull and Desanto get decisions against guys they should get decisions against while simultaneously watching the likes of Lugo and Cash trying to effectively kill 7 minutes without doing much of anything. And though Cash was expected to lose, I still would have preferred more action. And Lugo...well, his first two matches were nothing but 9 minutes of stalling (he had a decent two mins against the kid from Nebraska). So sorry for not sounding overly excited. I guess our expectations were just a little bit higher than that. Oh, and don't forget we are in 6th f%$#ing place, in case you missed that piece. I still have nothing but love for our fellas, but I'm not going to jump for joy because we had 4 men make it to the semis when 5 were favored to do so, and oh by the way, we have have a grand total of one victory by bonus points after 2 rounds. So tell me again, why are we supposed to be all upbeat at this stage of the game?? As a hardcore Iowa fan, this fricking SUCKS!!!

I think you aren’t seeing the forest through the trees.
Most knowledgeable and experienced posters are seeing a postseason pattern that is not changing. No adjustments are being made to our approach and things are starting to boil over.
I think it’s HOW we are losing that is pissing the loyalists around here.
You won’t find a more g-damn hard core Iowa fan than Mark ironside. Cut the guy open and he’s bleeding black and gold.
He was trained and bred by the same brand as T&T, and you can see the frustration oozing out of his words.
The Hawkeyes are not ATTACKING. They are not trying to TAKE IT. They are trying to lay back, hang on, and gut out a win at the end.
It’s leaving a bad taste in a lot of guys mouths.

Not really any excuses. Guys are waiting until the last 30 secs to win it and that’s just not cutting bait. Thought the Ali shuffle was kinda douchie when not dominating a guy who is wrestling on one leg. GSteve is trying too hard to get that black hat.
This “wrestling on one leg” stuff of out of control.

The high negative-to-positive posting ratio is a phenomenon unto itself and certainly isn't unique to this board. Predictably, it hits a fever pitch during high-profile duals and postseason tournaments, in direct correlation with a spike in casual "fan" viewing and posting.

I almost conducted a social experiment with my polls yesterday, but opted to cut it short (just 2 polls, instead of 3). The Dark Horse poll was the "positive" sample (pick underdogs to achieve). The Which-#1-Will-Lose poll was the "slightly negative" sample (pick favorites to fail). Guess which one got a ton more participation?

I was going to try a third poll that would tap into full-on negativity to see whether that would top the slightly negative sample, but I was concerned it would just create a dumpster fire.

Anyway, my point is that these boards always struggle with negativity outweighing positivity. You can see it with the posters who don't ever participate in discussion except to show up on game-day to tear down the one individual on the team that isn't performing as well as his peers. And that's not in reference to this board, BTW.

how's the Minni-Apple treating you?

Yeah I love Stoll, but does anyone really believe there is a healthy version of Sammy that beats Gable? I am not seeing it.

Stoll before his first knee injury was gaining some serious momentum. I'd say he is currently 50%-60% of what he could have been, if he can keep it close now I like full potential Sam a lot. As a RS Fr. he was 20-2 before hurting the knee. Besides the bum knee he he missed a ton of training over the years. He was not getting mistaken for Kyle Snyder but for a big guy he had some pretty good movement.

Reactions: shobart
The semis this evening will give more credence to whether the issue is the wrestlers or the coaches.

The four on the winner's side are all pretty active in the first period the majority of the time. You could realistically argue that 125/133/165 are pretty much tossups. Warner will be an slight underdog. In year's past... Iowa would win all four 90% of the time. I await the results.

I

Trust me, my friend, it's not that we don't want to cheer for all the great things that happened in session 1, such as Lee's pin. That was fricking awesome! And Sam Stoll wrestling Gable to a 5-3 loss, was also pretty impressive considering how his season started and the slow recovery process. But after that things got a little sluggish. It's hard to get overly excited when the Bull and Desanto get decisions against guys they should get decisions against while simultaneously watching the likes of Lugo and Cash trying to effectively kill 7 minutes without doing much of anything. And though Cash was expected to lose, I still would have preferred more action. And Lugo...well, his first two matches were nothing but 9 minutes of stalling (he had a decent two mins against the kid from Nebraska). So sorry for not sounding overly excited. I guess our expectations were just a little bit higher than that. Oh, and don't forget we are in 6th f%$#ing place, in case you missed that piece. I still have nothing but love for our fellas, but I'm not going to jump for joy because we had 4 men make it to the semis when 5 were favored to do so, and oh by the way, we have have a grand total of one victory by bonus points after 2 rounds. So tell me again, why are we supposed to be all upbeat at this stage of the game?? As a hardcore Iowa fan, this fricking SUCKS!!!
I don’t think I’ve heard anyone say you should be upbeat, but the stupid amount of whining and even putting our wrestlers down by some is completely out of control. I am slightly disappointed in our performance thus far. I think any knowledgeable fan should be slightly disappointed but we lost one match that on paper we were supposed to win(it was a complete tossup to anyone that follows the sport). It’s very realistic that we only have one finalist without any wrestler severely underperforming. Oh the meltdown that would follow!

Reactions: jrod65 and shobart
I forgot how embarrassing “fans” on this board are this time of year.

I know, right?! There is always that percentage of “fans” that believe the Brands should never be held accountable for the performance of their athletes. Drives me crazy.

I don’t think I’ve heard anyone say you should be upbeat, but the stupid amount of whining and even putting our wrestlers down by some is completely out of control. I am slightly disappointed in our performance thus far. I think any knowledgeable fan should be slightly disappointed but we lost one match that on paper we were supposed to win(it was a complete tossup to anyone that follows the sport). It’s very realistic that we only have one finalist without any wrestler severely underperforming. Oh the meltdown that would follow!
I hear you. I'm simply expressing my feelings. That being said, I was a bit more upbeat about this evening's action. I think Suriano will win it all in a couple weeks, so Desanto has nothing to be ashamed of. Warner was game...just needs a little more experience, and Lee did a good job controlling the match with Russell. As for Brother Alex, every match with Wick is a battle, so a win of any kind there is impressive, though I didn't like that last period. Finally, my Iowa Wrestler of the Night goes to Kaleb Young. If that kid improves as much between now and next year as he did this past year, we could be looking at an NCAA champ...or at least a finalist. The kid is no joke. He's fun to watch...aside from that match earlier today...LOL! :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT