ADVERTISEMENT

Baby Formula Shortage

You definitely don't sound like a snob.

What does your family law, juvenile law, and criminal law history have to do with any of this?

People without jobs having 4 or 5 kids, getting incarcerated, DHS involvement, guardianships, termination of parental rights, Guardian ad Litem work....hmmm....wonder what I know about it...

283137965_1865504313646993_6483880278644966497_n.jpg

Four flights supplied by the US military so far. It isn’t the job of the military to prop up industry like this, but this was a good move in this instance. Easing some restrictions and using the DPA helps. So, is this over? All the political faix rage wrung out of it? Will Breadbags be talking about it this upcoming week?

Despite efforts to restart the baby formula plant at the epicenter of the US crisis, and millions of bottles of the product being flown in from aboard by the government, shortages are still raging in many states.

Nationwide, the latest in-stock figure for baby formula powder was at 70% for the week ending July 3, down from 77% in the week ending June 5, according to data from IRI Worldwide. The market-research firm tracks inventory of the product across more than 125,000 stores in the US. Rates were hovering at 90% before the February recall and factory shutdown for Abbott Laboratories, which accounts for a large share of the nation’s supplies.

Despite efforts to restart the baby formula plant at the epicenter of the US crisis, and millions of bottles of the product being flown in from aboard by the government, shortages are still raging in many states.

Nationwide, the latest in-stock figure for baby formula powder was at 70% for the week ending July 3, down from 77% in the week ending June 5, according to data from IRI Worldwide. The market-research firm tracks inventory of the product across more than 125,000 stores in the US. Rates were hovering at 90% before the February recall and factory shutdown for Abbott Laboratories, which accounts for a large share of the nation’s supplies.

Not true. Biden gave a speech in front of an airplane full of formula. That ended the issue for good.

• Haha
Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
The baby formula shortage that has plagued American families this spring isn't over yet, according to a report from the research firm Information Resources Inc. (IRI).

Driving the news: About 20% of all types of baby formula remained out of stock during the week ending on July 24, the report said.

• Specifically, 30% of powdered baby formula products specifically remained out of stock for the week ending on July 24, per the IRI report.
  • Before the shortage earlier this spring, 10% of baby formula products were out of stock, showing there's still a deficit compared to normal numbers, CNN notes.
How it works: IRI used numbers from nationwide retailers for its report, including grocery and drug stores, mass merchants like Target and Walmart, military commissaries, and select dollar stores and club stores, IRI told Axios.

What they're saying: "There's no question that the situation where families are going into the store and finding absolutely no formula has gotten much better," Dr. Steve Abrams, a neonatologist at the University of Texas at Austin, told CNN.

• "On the other hand, there are significant problems still in the system."

Trumps trade restrictions on Canada never were necessary.
Trump’s import restrictions on Canadian formula had absolutely no impact on the shortage.

Zero. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

The purpose of Trump’s restrictions on Canada was to prevent formula made in Canada by a Chinese-owned company from entering the United States.

I had forgotten about this thread until Lucas bumped it and it popped up in my notifications.

This and other related threads showcased Joes Place at his Joes Placiest. JP repeatedly and emphatically blaming Trump’s import tariffs on Canadian formula for the shortage even though the tariffs had absolutely no bearing on the shortage was quality entertainment.

Reactions: BustingNarratives
I had forgotten about this thread until Lucas bumped it and it popped up in my notifications.

This and other related threads showcased Joes Place at his Joes Placiest. JP repeatedly and emphatically blaming Trump’s import tariffs on Canadian formula for the shortage even though the tariffs had absolutely no bearing on the shortage was quality entertainment.
I think it’s possible Joe’s Place is just a badly programmed bot by a U of I freshman IT major who never leaves his dorm room and watches replays of The View on a continuous loop.

And, I’m sure some of the dead handles in this thread that blamed Joe Biden personally for the shortages will rush to comment with their current handle on the DoJ’s investigation.

Senator Breadbags was promising she’d get to the bottom of Biden’s involvement in the formula shortage. It seems like the plant was dirty, and, employees lied/falsified information.
We shall see. It just amazes me to see small government folks want state control of an industry when it’s convenient to a narrative.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
It just amazes me to see small government folks want state control of an industry when it’s convenient to a narrative.
I think the small government folks were actually calling for less restrictive control. We import very little formula from Europe because of differences in iron and protein content and differences in labeling standards. The differences aren’t major, but they’re enough that for a long time we simply made most of our own formula because we could.

When we suddenly couldn’t because our largest manufacturing facility went offline due to bacteria contamination, it should have been immediately obvious that we were quickly going to face a critical shortage.

The FDA could have temporarily relaxed our import standards from Europe in February. Instead, they did nothing for three months until it became a full-blown crisis. Then they relaxed the standards, just as they could have done in February, and turned it into spectacular theater with military cargo jets and photo ops.

I think the small government folks were actually calling for less restrictive control. We import very little formula from Europe because of differences in iron and protein content and differences in labeling standards. The differences aren’t major, but they’re enough that for a long time we simply made most of our own formula because we could.

When we suddenly couldn’t because our largest manufacturing facility went offline due to bacteria contamination, it should have been immediately obvious that we were quickly going to face a critical shortage.

The FDA could have temporarily relaxed our import standards from Europe in February. Instead, they did nothing for three months until it became a full-blown crisis. Then they relaxed the standards, just as they could have done in February, and turned it into spectacular theater with military cargo jets and photo ops.
Must. Blame. Biden..
FDA exists for a reason. Safety and quality standards exist for a reason. Maybe Abbott could have run a clean plant, not lied, and had appropriate reserves on hand to rotate through in order to protect their customers?

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Must. Blame. Biden..
FDA exists for a reason. Safety and quality standards exist for a reason. Maybe Abbott could have run a clean plant, not lied, and had appropriate reserves on hand to rotate through in order to protect their customers?
Abbott deserves plenty of blame for running a dirty plant. But do you agree or disagree that the FDA could have and should have temporarily relaxed the import standards from Europe in February instead of waiting until May?

Abbott deserves plenty of blame for running a dirty plant. But do you agree or disagree that the FDA could have and should have temporarily relaxed the import standards from Europe in February instead of waiting until May?
Must. Blame. Biden.
Keep in mind FDA follows rules and stuff. Keep in mind there are reasons for the rules. Keep in mind there are constituents in Congress who set up some of the rules and stuff to protect US producers. Keep in mind Abbott did not react quickly to the issue, and it isn't the FDA's job to track supplies and domestic consumption, and react proactively.
Abbott is to blame for the shortages Abbott created. Have you noticed any movement in the Congress making it easier for foreign competitors to break into the market Abbott dominates?

Must. Blame. Biden.
Sigh.

Dense and oblivious is not a good look for you. I blame Biden when and only when I think he deserves blame. I criticize him far less than most other conservatives on this board and I occasionally even defend him. Hell, I voted for the guy.

But this is one of those times when he deserves some blame for not taking action soon enough.

Keep in mind FDA follows rules and stuff. Keep in mind there are reasons for the rules. Keep in mind there are constituents in Congress who set up some of the rules and stuff to protect US producers. Keep in mind Abbott did not react quickly to the issue, and it isn't the FDA's job to track supplies and domestic consumption, and react proactively.
Keep in mind that the emergency shipments from Switzerland that started in May were made possible by Biden temporarily relaxing our import standards. Keep in mind that he did that with the stroke of a pen. He didn’t have to wait for Congress to take action. He didn’t have to negotiate with anyone. He simply did it.

Is there any reason at all why he could not have done that in February or March or April instead of waiting until May?

No. There is no reason why he could not have done that. So it then becomes an issue of whether or not he should have done that. And the answer to that question is a resounding yes.

Abbott deserves blame for failing to keep their plant up to standards and they deserve blame for the sudden drop in domestic production.

Biden’s administration deserves blame for not recognizing that the sudden loss of a significant source of our domestic production was going to cause severe shortages. They deserve blame for not taking action sooner to alleviate the shortage.

If you can’t see that then you’re a hopeless Biden apologist.

Last edited:
Must. Blame. Biden.
Abbott is to blame for the shortages Abbott created. Have you noticed any movement in the Congress making it easier for foreign competitors to break into the market Abbott dominates?
Must. Protect. Biden

:p

FDA rules…

While all of these factors certainly have contributed to the problem, they are not the primary cause. The biggest contributor to the formula shortage is the FDA itself, whose restrictive requirements for importing formula stand in the way.

Especially onerous are the FDA’s rigid labeling and nutritional requirements for formula containers, which prohibit the sale of many European-made products, even though the formulas themselves meet FDA nutritional and purity standards.

Reactions: BustingNarratives
Must. Protect. Biden

:p

FDA rules…

While all of these factors certainly have contributed to the problem, they are not the primary cause. The biggest contributor to the formula shortage is the FDA itself, whose restrictive requirements for importing formula stand in the way.

Especially onerous are the FDA’s rigid labeling and nutritional requirements for formula containers, which prohibit the sale of many European-made products, even though the formulas themselves meet FDA nutritional and purity standards.

Who pushed for those requirements?
And, again, Abbott created the problem. Abbott acted slowly to address the problem. Abbott decides how much product to hold in storage. Abbott pushes for requirements that keep foreign competition low. Though slightly onerous, foreign suppliers could chose to do business in the US. It is not in the link you provided for the FDA to monitor domestic stocks and unilaterally contact foreign suppliers and start importing product.
Stop making me go all TJ/Joe

Reactions: globalhawk
Who pushed for those requirements?
And, again, Abbott created the problem. Abbott acted slowly to address the problem. Abbott decides how much product to hold in storage. Abbott pushes for requirements that keep foreign competition low. Though slightly onerous, foreign suppliers could chose to do business in the US. It is not in the link you provided for the FDA to monitor domestic stocks and unilaterally contact foreign suppliers and start importing product.
Stop making me go all TJ/Joe
Abbott takes a loins share of the blame.

There wasn’t competition in the market from Europe because of the FDA’s stupid labeling rules…even though European formula meets standards.

The FDA probably made the labeling rules as to help domestic producers. The FDA has a revolving door with those domestic producers and a serious conflict of interest…got to keep those sweetheart private sector jobs available.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) says its rules, along with federal laws, stop employees from improperly cashing in on their government service. But how adequate are those revolving door controls? Science has found that much like outside advisers, regular employees at the agency, headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland, often reap later rewards—jobs or consulting work—from the makers of the drugs they previously regulated.

FDA staffers play a pivotal role in drug approvals, presenting evidence to the agency's advisory panels and influencing or making approval decisions. They are free to move to jobs in pharma, and many do; in a 2016 study in The BMJ, researchers examined the job histories of 55 FDA staff who had conducted drug reviews over a 9-year period in the hematologyoncology field. They found that 15 of the 26 employees who left the agency later worked or consulted for the biopharmaceutical industry.

FDA's safeguards are supposed to keep the prospect of industry employment from affecting employees' decisions while at the agency, and to discourage them from exploiting relationships with former colleagues after they depart. For example, former high-level employees can't appear before the agency on the precise issues they regulated—sometimes permanently, in other cases for a year or two.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT