ADVERTISEMENT

Baby Formula Shortage

Formula is an ideal place for bacteria to grow and infants are a particularly vulnerable population. The extensive regulation makes sense in the context of the product. The FDA requires access to facilities.

This sucks. We’ve been dealing with it since April. Luckily we only lightly use formula to supplement nutrition because our daughter is allergic to milk.
I agree but it clearly has been reeled in by the large players for monetary gain. Period. Glad you guys are hanging in there!

No. What I’m saying is that politicians know most people think price gouging exists, so they say they are trying to stop it, to look good.

The way to increase supply is to let suppliers raise prices to attract more suppliers.
Ok, but you can’t just start producing baby formula in your garage.

I agree but it clearly has been reeled in by the large players for monetary gain. Period. Glad you guys are hanging in there!
Thanks. It would be interesting to read an in-depth piece about why the formula market in the United States works the way it does.

The only American company is Abbott Labs. Gerber is owned by Nestle. Mead Johnson is owned by Reckitt Benckiser.

There are other major players worldwide that aren’t in our market, like Kraft Heinz and Danone.

Not every mother is able to breast feed. Formula is completely fine if desired.

Also, we give President's way too much credit and request for power. Why is it the President's job to manage formula? I thought Capitalism was supposed to respond to supply and demand. That's what all my Republican friends always claim.
Something about the free market is better equipped yada yada yada…

• Haha
Reactions: NCHawk5
Oh man. Please, do tell. I can’t wait to hear this shit.
He won’t deliver. Still anxiously awaiting his “pwns” that he talked up in at least two threads. Calls everyone stupid and exits the thread without explaining anything.

Sounds like some common sense steps today to assist manufacturers with their issues, and some increase in imported formula. So, who has been for restrictions on imported formula?
Some of the FDA regulations don't allow importing formula.

Some of the barriers are as simple as labeling....

If it's safe for the Europeans it's probably safe for us...

Reactions: 3boysmom
Some of the FDA regulations don't allow importing formula.

Some of the barriers are as simple as labeling....

If it's safe for the Europeans it's probably safe for us...

Wrong. Babies would grow up to have hairy, smelly armpits.

It's obvious that the real reason the Dems want this story to go away is that it disproves their dumb theory that Republicans only care about babies before they're born. Hard to argue that when the GOP is leading the fight against starving non-border babies, while the Dems are getting it into the hands of babies that belong to their party.

On another note, the term "anchor baby" is now a fitting title, as those border kids are all gonna be fat and heavy like anchors, with all of the excess formula they're receiving at the request of Biden and other Dem politicians.

Not to mention, this could be the formula for GOP success in the midterms. All makes sense now.

It's obvious that the real reason the Dems want this story to go away is that it disproves their dumb theory that Republicans only care about babies before they're born. Hard to argue that when the GOP is leading the fight against starving non-border babies, while the Dems are getting it into the hands of babies that belong to their party.

On another note, the term "anchor baby" is now a fitting title, as those border kids are all gonna be fat and heavy like anchors, with all of the excess formula they're receiving at the request of Biden and other Dem politicians.

Not to mention, this could be the formula for GOP success in the midterms. All makes sense now.
No, Dems want the story ro go away because it 's just another example of how this administration doesn't know how to prioritize.

FSfM8VQXwAEFA95

FSfNjneWUAERevo

Again: Stock Buybacks were more important than maintaining equipment/infrastructure.
And that equipment/infrastructure replacement is a big tax write-off, but short-term profits were more important.
There's no national stockpile. Member when Dems flipped out that there was no national stockpile of breathing ventilators and blamed the president? Member when they said only the GOP don't care about babies after they're born? I 'member. And now Dems don't think it's important that we have stockpiles of stuff, or that non-border babies eat. Voters will 'member in November I'm sure.

The free market didn't stop Abbott's production line.
The FDA did.
Actually, the free market did kill it.
Because short-term profits were prioritized over infrastructure and safety.

'Member those days when there were NO rules and regulations over food and drugs, and major companies put formaldehyde and calves brains in milk to sweeten it up and thicken it? And sold spoiled meat in cans?

Don't blame "FDA" for the lack of maintenance and safety here. Unless you're fine with infant formula containing bacteria that would have killed thousands of babies forced to eat it.

There's no national stockpile.

So?

There was no incentive for Abbott to fix their equipment, which would have screwed up their stock buybacks and profits.

And absent "regulations" to prevent selling adulterated products, they'd have happily sold deadly formula to parents who would end up with dead babies.

They were warned 3 years ago; instead they focused on short term profits and the shortages you see are the result. If we put something in place on buybacks and golden parachutes which prevented execs from realizing their profits for 5 years (to prevent these "sugar fix" short term returns), those execs would prioritize longer-term company viability over short-term profits, because they'd be locked in on long term gains. But we don't do that. And this is one of the consequences you end up with.

There's no national stockpile. Member when Dems flipped out that there was no national stockpile of breathing ventilators and blamed the president? Member when they said only the GOP don't care about babies after they're born? I 'member. And now Dems don't think it's important that we have stockpiles of stuff, or that non-border babies eat. Voters will 'member in November I'm sure.
citation?

Another subject our resident expert Joe knows everything about?

FDA regulations?

Yeah. I actually work with companies in this area, so I know quite a bit about the Quality Systems and Management Responsibility required.

#ISO13485
#RiskManagement

• Haha
Reactions: doughuddl2
The free market didn't stop Abbott's production line.
The FDA did.
Who does the FDA report to?
There is a reason production hasn't resumed.
Who is stopping it?
What needs to be done to resume it?
The reporting on this story is woeful.
I’m pretty sure the dead babies stopped their production.

GOP cares about babies before birth. A bacteria infested product killing them after birth is ok and it is Joe/government's fault for not allowing Abbott to continue making it. Also their fault if the product kills more babies.
That would make sense if Joe didn't just tell the FDA to lower their inspection standards for importation of it.

citation?
For what? Something that was news for weeks and very easily looked up? Something that was talked about extensively on here? You don't remember Governor Cuomo crying about Trump not having any more to give NY as they had 4,500 of their own in reserve still?

First link of many like it.

For what? Something that was news for weeks and very easily looked up? Something that was talked about extensively on here? You don't remember Governor Cuomo crying about Trump not having any more to give NY as they had 4,500 of their own in reserve still?

First link of many like it.
Your statement: Member when Dems flipped out that there was no national stockpile of breathing ventilators and blamed the president?

This is false. There is (was) a national stockpile of ventilators. The stockpile had been allowed to dwindle. The outcry was not that there wasn't a stockpile, but Kuschner/Trump were picking favorites among the states of where to send the ventilators to...(i.e., red states vs. blue).

So?

There was no incentive for Abbott to fix their equipment, which would have screwed up their stock buybacks and profits.

And absent "regulations" to prevent selling adulterated products, they'd have happily sold deadly formula to parents who would end up with dead babies.

They were warned 3 years ago; instead they focused on short term profits and the shortages you see are the result. If we put something in place on buybacks and golden parachutes which prevented execs from realizing their profits for 5 years (to prevent these "sugar fix" short term returns), those execs would prioritize longer-term company viability over short-term profits, because they'd be locked in on long term gains. But we don't do that. And this is one of the consequences you end up with.
No incentive? Lol! Getting shut down for 3+ months.

I’m pretty sure the dead babies stopped their production.

Based on agency inspectors’ findings over several weeks earlier this year, production at the plant was halted, worsening shortages that had arisen earlier from supply chain issues.

Government officials’ tests of unopened formula containers at the homes of the four sick babies were all negative for cronobacter, Abbott said, and one of three open containers from the homes tested positive. The positive one contained two different strains of cronobacter: one that matched the strain that caused the infant’s infection and another matching germs found on a bottle of distilled water used to mix the formula, Abbott said.

Your statement: Member when Dems flipped out that there was no national stockpile of breathing ventilators and blamed the president?

This is false. There is (was) a national stockpile of ventilators. The stockpile had been allowed to dwindle. The outcry was not that there wasn't a stockpile, but Kuschner/Trump were picking favorites among the states of where to send the ventilators to...(i.e., red states vs. blue).
Whatever. It all turned out to be irrelevant anyway. You can criticize Trump on a lot of things, but the pandemic response was well above a passing grade. Can’t wait to hear the cries for this comment.

• Haha
Reactions: Mpchillin
GOP cares about babies before birth. A bacteria infested product killing them after birth is ok and it is Joe/government's fault for not allowing Abbott to continue making it. Also their fault if the product kills more babies.
A contingency plan is. FDA and bumbling Joe know that, well probably not Joe. Joe's plans are read to him.

Per their website the FDA just formed a group for this type of emergency. When the US produces 90% of the world's baby formula and Abbott makes 50% it should have been done a long time ago.

ADVERTISEMENT