ADVERTISEMENT

Baby Formula Shortage

Based on agency inspectors’ findings over several weeks earlier this year, production at the plant was halted, worsening shortages that had arisen earlier from supply chain issues.

Government officials’ tests of unopened formula containers at the homes of the four sick babies were all negative for cronobacter,
They found it in the plant and adulterated equipment.

Ignoring the problem was going to result in serious risks.

Again: #RiskManagement

Based on agency inspectors’ findings over several weeks earlier this year, production at the plant was halted, worsening shortages that had arisen earlier from supply chain issues.

Government officials’ tests of unopened formula containers at the homes of the four sick babies were all negative for cronobacter, Abbott said, and one of three open containers from the homes tested positive. The positive one contained two different strains of cronobacter: one that matched the strain that caused the infant’s infection and another matching germs found on a bottle of distilled water used to mix the formula, Abbott said.
Major stores like Target and CVS pulled Similac off their shelves as soon as the FDA launched their investigation.

The damages are just too big. I doubt retailers are interested in dealing with Abbott until they clear inspection.

So you'd give it to your kid?
At 26, he's a little old for formula. If it was found to be safe, yes, I would have given it to him. It's safer than the Pfizer COVID vaccine.

Abbott and the FDA did the right thing. They investigated. Based on the information we have at the moment, it appears the FDA has just been a bit slow in the entire process.

Overly regulated market with too much capacity in the hands of a single producer, combined with an FDA that was slow to realize how quickly this was going to become a problem,...

Reactions: doughuddl2
What is "overly regulated"?

Be specific. Because that market regulation has been in place for many decades w/o problems.

Government regulation created the playing field that allowed Abbott to gain their excessive share of the domestic market,... too many eggs in one basket.

Government regulation created the playing field that allowed Abbott to gain their excessive share of the domestic market,... too many eggs in one basket.
That largely occurred under Trump and further back. Not at all now. Biden fixing yet another issue

Been that way for years,.. Current slow response from the FDA belongs to the Biden administration,.. Nothing is being fixed. Mostly scrambling going on right now.
Resolution of the issue currently then you go back and assess the whys and address, which they will.

KC is correct. Not much the government can do unless the FDA and CDC are being tardy with getting the contamination issue resolved and the Michigan plant back on line.

Nah! The U. S. Government should be producing and distributing baby formula.

Why would we expect a company to sterilize their plant anyway? They wouldn't have the methodology in place to do so would they?

I agree with the first part, but if you think the FDA will make any major changes in the near term, you are optimistic.
You have history on your side for sure, being able to import from Canada immediately when necessary would have a big impact going forward just with that measure.

You have history on your side for sure, being able to import from Canada immediately when necessary would have a big impact going forward just with that measure.
I'm aware that one other federal agency is playing a bit loose with regulations, for whatever reason. I assume they are just short staffed, but it could be just lack of any accountability.

I suspect that the governmental agencies involved got caught a little flat footed here by not immediately understanding how quickly this was going to turn to shit...

I suspect that the governmental agencies involved got caught a little flat footed here by not immediately understanding how quickly this was going to turn to shit...
It's the FDA's job to know what food and drugs are critical.

Government regulation created the playing field that allowed Abbott to gain their excessive share of the domestic market

No, that had nothing to do with "regulation".
Everyone has to meet the same regulations.

You're flailing now.

No, that had nothing to do with "regulation".
Everyone has to meet the same regulations.

You're flailing now.
Those regulations to include something as benign as improper labeling prevented imports from Europe, Australia ect....so they contributed to Abbots over sized market share.
I 100% agree. Biden now in loop and shit is being addressed.
Couple months late....why did it take so long to "get in the loop" is the main question.

I think their marketshare is more due to their ability to get their products into hospitals. They did the Tylenol thing where you give it to hospitals for next to nothing, and everyone learns to trust the brand.

Similac is that brand for baby formula.

Those regulations to include something as benign as improper labeling prevented imports from Europe, Australia ect....so they contributed to Abbots over sized market share.

Couple months late....why did it take so long to "get in the loop" is the main question.
If he wasn't made aware there was an issue looming not sure how we could. He has a laundry list of items already before.

If he wasn't made aware there was an issue looming not sure how we could. He has a laundry list of items already before.
The FDA should have made him aware...couple heads should roll.

Seems pretty crazy that the administration has just been made aware the last couple weeks.

This is from January...

I'd say the national news media kind of dropped the ball here as well as you can find local news reports from months ago...

Seems everyone was slow off the mark on this.

Personally, I think the FDA is the main culprit for not up channeling much sooner...

The FDA should have made him aware...couple heads should roll.

Seems pretty crazy that the administration has just been made aware the last couple weeks.

This is from January...

I'd say the national news media kind of dropped the ball here as well as you can find local news reports from months ago...

Seems everyone was slow off the mark on this.

Personally, I think the FDA is the main culprit for not up channeling much sooner...
I agree

Improper labeling doesn't "contribute to oversize market share".
The reality is that the Trump administration restricted imports. Nothing to do with "FDA regulations"

"But the Trump Administration sought to protect domestic producers by imposing quotas and tariffs on Canadian imports in the USMCA trade deal"

#'MericaFirst
#InfantsExpendable

Reactions: sob5
I'm aware that one other federal agency is playing a bit loose with regulations, for whatever reason. I assume they are just short staffed, but it could be just lack of any accountability.
Border patrol?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT