ADVERTISEMENT

Back To The Future Schedule?

CarterHall

HR All-American
Nov 4, 2001
They will have to redo schedules for 2024 and after. Will be interesting when those get released. May be more teams in there yet also.

That UCLA GAME
1981 when kNebby was Big 8
1977 first isu game.
Late 60s beat down of a PAC-8 team 70-0 (or 3).
Any others need to go look at schedules

That 1974 schedule was common in the 60s and 70s and was one key reason Iowa didn't have a winning season for 20 years--no UNI, Northern Illinois, Western Michigan, Ball State, ND State, Arkansas State, North Texas . . . Iowa wasn't blessed with great talent most of those years, but the Hawkeyes would have had several winning seasons if they'd been playing KF schedules. And how do you think KF's record would look if he'd played schedules like those from the 60s and 70s? Those were big-boy schedules, and it looks like something similar is on its way.

the noise is keeping me awake at night ever since this news broke a few days ago (by noise, I am referring to Hayden Fry rolling over in his grave)

That 1974 schedule was common in the 60s and 70s and was one key reason Iowa didn't have a winning season for 20 years--no UNI, Northern Illinois, Western Michigan, Ball State, ND State, Arkansas State, North Texas . . . Iowa wasn't blessed with great talent most of those years, but the Hawkeyes would have had several winning seasons if they'd been playing KF schedules. And how do you think KF's record would look if he'd played schedules like those from the 60s and 70s? Those were big-boy schedules, and it looks like something similar is on its way.
jimmy doesn't even have mi playing a p5 non conf game the next 2 years :)

but i smell what you're cookin, rock!

1974-Iowa (Big Ten)​
9/14​
@*Michigan (10-1)L
7​
24​
9/21​
vs.UCLA (6-3-2)W
21​
10​
9/28​
vs.Penn State (10-2)L
0​
27​
10/5​
@Southern California (10-1-1)L
3​
41​
10/12​
vs.*Northwestern (3-8)W
35​
10​
10/19​
@*Minnesota (4-7)L
17​
23​
10/26​
vs.*Illinois (6-4-1)W
14​
12​
11/2​
@*Purdue (4-6-1)L
14​
38​
11/9​
vs.*Wisconsin (7-4)L
15​
28​
11/16​
vs.*Ohio State (10-2)L
10​
35​
11/23​
@*Michigan State (7-3-1)L
21​
60​
3-8-0​
That win over UCLA was HUGE after going 0-11 the previous season.

Back then, Iowa was the Ball State, North Texas, Western Michigan that the big boys scheduled. People seem to forget that.

I was at that UCLA game and IC was absolutely nuts that night. You'd thought we won the National Championship. Those were some long, hard years for Hawk fans.

Mich, Mich St, Ohio St, Penn St, Wisconsin, UCLA and USC all on a regular season 11-game schedule, no bye weeks, start after Labor Day and end before Thanksgiving, with no ISU, Rutgers or Maryland in sight.

And you whipper snappers wonder why us 50-somethings long for the good-'ole days...

Mich, Mich St, Ohio St, Penn St, Wisconsin, UCLA and USC all on a regular season 11-game schedule, no bye weeks, start after Labor Day and end before Thanksgiving, with no ISU, Rutgers or Maryland in sight.

And you whipper snappers wonder why us 50-somethings long for the good-'ole days...
They were the bad ‘ole days.

Pass

Maybe the bad 'ole days as far as Iowa football quality, but not as far as the schedule goes.

Yeah, you've already proven yourself quite the pussy as far as what you'd like to see for Iowa's opponents. You seem like you'd like them to move to the MAC so they can have an 11-1 record every year.
I've said multiple times about the bs b1g schedules...but just use one joke thread lmfao. Derp derp gramps

We'll see and I welcome it. Recruiting is certainly on an uptick, and the addition of these west coast schools will probably be a plus there as well. As much as you seem to like to beat him down, I believe KF has a winning record against the Michigan, MSU and PSU's of the world. For relevance the football world and recruiting has changed a lot since the 70's and many of those mid level teams are way more competitive then they ever would have been 50 years ago. If you think Iowa is the only P5 team that schedules those schools then you need to take another look. The men of Troy and the Bruins haven't been nearly as good as those days either. Yes, I realize they have new coaches who may turn things around , but to what level? Will Iowa be even more of a power in the new system. Hard to say that, but I also don't think their going to fall off badly either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT