ADVERTISEMENT

Backups for 2020

hawkfeever

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2016
Never before is it so likely the backups might get thrown in. Not hard to imagine Petras testing positive for COVID during season. Even 3rd stringer better be ready to go.

Interesting to see how they handle position meeting rooms. If you have all of one position get it at once, someone is going to be playing way out of position as emergency backup.

Yep, one player tests positive, the 2020 season is over. Really hoping the team takes every precaution to keep that from happening.

Yep, one player tests positive, the 2020 season is over. Really hoping the team takes every precaution to keep that from happening.
One player tests positive and not only seasonniver but the University gets shutdown and all students sent home.

I really doubt that everything gets shut down. I have zero input and zero expertise, but it really is sounding like the fatality/serious injury threat to 18-22 year olds, who are otherwise not compromised is quite small.

If The risk is not minuscule, then the season will not Even be allowed to start until a vaccine is available.

Just my uneducated guess.

Reactions: kceasthawk
mm6915e3_HospitalizationsCOVID19_IMAGE_08April20_1200x675-medium.jpg

Reactions: CollegeFiend15
What is hospitalization rate of 18 to 22 year olds for this virus?

Not sure hospitalization rate. But I read an article this weekend think was on CBS sports. Said with mortality rate of College Football age athletes and if every D1 football player got it last year with out any underlying health the mortality rate would result in the death of one person, technically was 1.19 but I rounded down.

Not sure hospitalization rate. But I read an article this weekend think was on CBS sports. Said with mortality rate of College Football age athletes and if every D1 football player got it last year with out any underlying health the mortality rate would result in the death of one person, technically was 1.19 but I rounded down.

With today's world that is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too many. I bet the number will be 0 since they are generally in better condition than most others the same age. We cannot have one death from a virus any more, even though some young die of the normal flus. I don't know what we do when the next annual winter round of Flu A and Flu B come knocking and kill young people.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
What is hospitalization rate of 18 to 22 year olds for this virus?

Quite low as above. The real issue is when infected but not sick young people spread it to older coaches, family members and friends...that is the danger and why the young ones need to stay vigilant.

Iowa High School baseball/softball will be testing the theory as to what happens if a teammate tests positive. They have protocols that they are required to follow. It is NOT an automatic, season over.

One player tests positive and that team is being shut down.
With all these protests I think we'll find out a lot more. If we don't see a spread because of them I think things will relax a lot more. If we see another increase you can pretty much forget about it.

17000 cases , 550 deaths (60% were in nursing homes) in a population of over 3 million. This is not a pandemic- it is BS!! 60000 die from the flu some years. Never again
So how many died from this and an entire year if we do know type of quarantining? Five times that 10 times that?

How can you compare numbers when people are trying to avoid each other versus when people are living like normal? That's not even apples and oranges that's apples and pizza.

Mmmmm pizza!!!

Reactions: RLMHAWK
17000 cases , 550 deaths (60% were in nursing homes) in a population of over 3 million. This is not a pandemic- it is BS!! 60000 die from the flu some years. Never again

The current stats when you posted are over 20000 cases and 590 deaths. 283 of the deaths are long term care attributed. Under 12000 considered recovered of those 20k so 8k people in the state currently still at risk of not recovering or being contagious. All in less than 2 months.

Form your own opinion but the current stats are on the state webpage for future reference.

Quite low as above. The real issue is when infected but not sick young people spread it to older coaches, family members and friends...that is the danger and why the young ones need to stay vigilant.

Said people should stay away if they are at risk. I am sure Kirk has given any coach an option, just as the university would have to do with profs i assume.

What exactly do you think will happen when public schools go back in August? They will go. Are all those K - 12 graders not going home to mom and dad at night? And who is going to teach them, etc. We may not have any vaccine until summer 2021. It's go time folks.

Reactions: RomanHawk
Good. Because if that's the standard, they might as well shut everything down now.

I'd assume they would have medical persons come talk to the players early on. What's known and what's not known, etc and what protocols will be if test positive.

ADVERTISEMENT