ADVERTISEMENT

Bad calls?

Aethelstan

Rookie
Feb 5, 2003
As I watched the game Saturday night, I went ballistic after our first possession had a first and goal. First down run stuffed, but an OK call. Second down, shovel pass to La Porta stuffed, bad call? I thought so Saturday night, but today I am watching the DVR recording. In fact it was a great call which Petras screwed up. Shotgun formation with Bruce in the RB position and La Porta aligned off the line on the same side as Bruce. Motion by the WR from left to right which caused the secondary to shift to the offensive right. Power gap blocking left with the backside guard pulling to the left (Essentially the same blocking as power off-tackle, but leaving the DE unblocked instead of kicked out by the FB). On the snap, Bruce runs a sweep left and Petras puts the ball in his stomach, but this was a “read” option play. Petras’s eyes were on the DE. It was a read in which Petras had the option of leaving the ball with Bruce if the DE stayed inside, or shoveling the ball to La Porta if the DE played the sweep. In this case the DE turned his numbers inside which should have been an easy read for Petra’s to leave the ball with Bruce, who would have walked into the end zone. But Petras pulled the ball and shoveled it to La Porta who had no chance. Opportunity #1 screwed up by the QB. Third down, illegal procedure which adds five more yards to pay dirt. What do we do? Run the ball, which has no chance. We could just as well have kicked the FG on third down. Why not throw the ball, because we were close enough to kick the FG even if there had been a sack. So, a multiple fubar. Petras on second down, the OG on third down, and Bryan Ferentz on third down after the penalty. That is the problem with this team. If it’s not one guy, it’s another. Every time we do something good, people take turns nullifying it by being a bonehead.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT