ADVERTISEMENT

Bad news for thousands of crypto investors: They don’t own their accounts

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
More than half a million people who deposited money with collapsed crypto lender Celsius Network have been dealt a major blow to their hopes of recovering their funds, with the judge in the company’s bankruptcy case ruling that the money belongs to Celsius and not to the depositors.

Tech is not your friend. We are. Sign up for The Tech Friend newsletter.

The judge, Martin Glenn, found that Celsius’s terms of use — the lengthy contracts that many websites publish but few consumers read — meant “the cryptocurrency assets became Celsius’s property.”

The ruling underscores the Wild West nature of the unregulated crypto industry. On Thursday, New York Attorney General Letitia James moved to impose a kind of order, or at least legal repercussions, on Celsius founder Alex Mashinsky, whom she accused in a lawsuit of defrauding hundreds of thousands of consumers.

Crypto’s fortunes have plummeted in recent months since Celsius became the first major crypto platform to implode last year, its bankruptcy in July freezing at least $4.2 billion for 600,000 Americans, according to court papers, and foreshadowing the collapse of FTX four months later.

And while Glenn’s ruling won’t affect FTX, whose terms of use were different, some analysts saw the ruling as spreading beyond Celsius.
“There are many other platforms that feature terms of use that are similar to Celsius’s,” said Aaron Kaplan, a lawyer with the financial-focused firm of Gusrae Kaplan Nusbaum and co-founder of his own crypto company. Customers need to “understand the risks that they are taking when depositing their assets onto insufficiently regulated platforms,” he said.

James’s lawsuit, meanwhile, alleged that Mashinsky used “false and misleading representations to induce [customers] to deposit billions of dollars in digital assets.” The suit seeks unspecified damages from Mashinsky and wants to bar him from a range of financial and other work in New York.
A spokesperson for Celsius, Luke Wolf, said Mashinsky is no longer involved in management of the company. Mashinsky did not respond to a message seeking comment.

For years, Celsius promised extravagant interest rates in the neighborhood of 20 percent for people in a kind of fantasy version of a real-world bank, driving many who had no interest in crypto to enter the market.

The suit says Mashinsky was the reason. “In hundreds of interviews, blog posts, and livestreams,” it says, “Mashinsky promoted Celsius as a safe alternative to banks while concealing that Celsius was actually engaged in risky investment strategies.”
Crypto's frozen mystery: The fate of billions in Celsius deposits
Mashinsky was known for his regular “Ask Mashinsky Anything” Q&As online and T-shirts with messages such as “Banks Are Not Your Friends.” Mobs of fans on YouTube and Twitter hailed the cult of “The Machine,” as he was nicknamed. If FTX’s Sam Bankman-Fried was the public face of crypto in the halls of Washington, Mashinsky was often its most prominent symbol to ordinary investors.

The suit painted a picture of a person intent on pitching himself as a hero for the unbanked and working class when much of those people’s money was in fact used to fund highly risky investments.

“Touting himself and his company as a modern-day Robin Hood, Mashinsky boasted that Celsius ‘delivers yield … to the people who would never be able to do it themselves, [and] we take it from the rich,’” the suit said. “These promises were false.”
According to the bankruptcy court, however, there may be a limit to what the legal system can do when crypto companies are savvy enough to protect themselves. Investors and a number of states that joined their motion say the language was at least “ambiguous” in the rights it granted Celsius. But Glenn disagreed.
Lawyers for Celsius, Joshua Sussberg and Patrick J. Nash Jr., and lawyers for the creditors, Gregory Pesce and Andrea Amulic, did not respond to requests for comment.

The bankruptcy ruling focused specifically on whether Celsius as part of the restructuring can now sell $18 million in so-called stablecoins, a type of virtual currency, to help stay solvent. But its implications are much larger. By ruling that the money in the accounts wasn’t really owned by the 600,000 account holders, the court has basically said they are now just unsecured creditors. And “there simply will not be enough value available to repay” them, Glenn wrote.
The effects could go even beyond them to impact other crypto platforms with strict language in their fine print — presenting problems to customers in the event of a collapse.
“This just raises another question about how hard it is to transact in the Wild West of crypto,” said Brian Marks, who teaches economics and business law at the Pompea College of Business at the University of New Haven and has studied the Celsius case. “I would not be surprised to see other companies reexamine their terms and conditions after this.”

The connections between crypto firms are vast, and the failures of one can ripple to another, even months later. On Thursday, the crypto lender Genesis said it would lay off 30 percent of its staff, partly as a result of a loan to FTX sister firm Alameda Research.
Celsius creditors are affected by the FTX bankruptcy too. Mashinsky’s former firm, the New York lawsuit revealed, had lent $1 billion to Alameda that it collateralized with FTX’s token FTT.
“The value of FTT has since plummeted by roughly 95%,” it said, “leaving Celsius holding nearly worthless collateral.”

What price will Bitcoin reach in 2030?

Answer: Bitcoin is one of the many cryptocurrencies expected to boom in 2030, with the potential to attain a price of $1 million per coin. This represents a percentage increase of 5,000% from the July 2022 price.

buy-buy-buy.gif

There are still shills pimping crypto on twitter and youtube and gullible suckers filling their digital wallet with digital garbage.

A non fiated currency that has 0 backing of a sovereign county. Hell, where do I sign up. Next, you'll tell me my monopoly money is useless. I got wads of that junk.

Next time, any of you get a crypto hardon, see this picture. Memorize it. They are laughing at you!

original_SBFEllison.jpg

Crypto. What a fun little scam. Which of you got smoked?
Got in made a small amount of money and got out before it crashed completely. Was really against it for a while. Had a neighbor who made hundreds of thousands of dollars. Haven't asked if he got out at the right time.

Last edited:
Reactions: GOHOX69
Im thrilled that my assessment of this a decade ago was correct. I wish I would have put some money in early and taken advantage of some of the morons to cash out later….but oh well.

crypto winter as I have been told. I wouldn't be surprised if bitcoin reaches 100k in the next 5 years.

• Haha
Crypto. What a fun little scam. Which of you got smoked?
I made about 5k in Crypto when it was hot on Shiba and Doge. Got in very early on both and sold when they skyrocketed. Unfortunately I only sold about half, but my total investment was $250.

No doubt. I am no expert and I won't be playing the game, that is for sure. Just having watched bitcoin from afar over the last 10 years, I wouldn't be one bit surprised if it did go way up.
Crypto is currently a tax dodge and will be highly regulated in the years to come. The day the irs comes after crypto, and it will, its luster will be gone. And then it goes to 0.

More than half a million people who deposited money with collapsed crypto lender Celsius Network have been dealt a major blow to their hopes of recovering their funds, with the judge in the company’s bankruptcy case ruling that the money belongs to Celsius and not to the depositors.

Tech is not your friend. We are. Sign up for The Tech Friend newsletter.

The judge, Martin Glenn, found that Celsius’s terms of use — the lengthy contracts that many websites publish but few consumers read — meant “the cryptocurrency assets became Celsius’s property.”

The ruling underscores the Wild West nature of the unregulated crypto industry. On Thursday, New York Attorney General Letitia James moved to impose a kind of order, or at least legal repercussions, on Celsius founder Alex Mashinsky, whom she accused in a lawsuit of defrauding hundreds of thousands of consumers.

Crypto’s fortunes have plummeted in recent months since Celsius became the first major crypto platform to implode last year, its bankruptcy in July freezing at least $4.2 billion for 600,000 Americans, according to court papers, and foreshadowing the collapse of FTX four months later.

And while Glenn’s ruling won’t affect FTX, whose terms of use were different, some analysts saw the ruling as spreading beyond Celsius.
“There are many other platforms that feature terms of use that are similar to Celsius’s,” said Aaron Kaplan, a lawyer with the financial-focused firm of Gusrae Kaplan Nusbaum and co-founder of his own crypto company. Customers need to “understand the risks that they are taking when depositing their assets onto insufficiently regulated platforms,” he said.

James’s lawsuit, meanwhile, alleged that Mashinsky used “false and misleading representations to induce [customers] to deposit billions of dollars in digital assets.” The suit seeks unspecified damages from Mashinsky and wants to bar him from a range of financial and other work in New York.
A spokesperson for Celsius, Luke Wolf, said Mashinsky is no longer involved in management of the company. Mashinsky did not respond to a message seeking comment.

For years, Celsius promised extravagant interest rates in the neighborhood of 20 percent for people in a kind of fantasy version of a real-world bank, driving many who had no interest in crypto to enter the market.

The suit says Mashinsky was the reason. “In hundreds of interviews, blog posts, and livestreams,” it says, “Mashinsky promoted Celsius as a safe alternative to banks while concealing that Celsius was actually engaged in risky investment strategies.”
Crypto's frozen mystery: The fate of billions in Celsius deposits
Mashinsky was known for his regular “Ask Mashinsky Anything” Q&As online and T-shirts with messages such as “Banks Are Not Your Friends.” Mobs of fans on YouTube and Twitter hailed the cult of “The Machine,” as he was nicknamed. If FTX’s Sam Bankman-Fried was the public face of crypto in the halls of Washington, Mashinsky was often its most prominent symbol to ordinary investors.

The suit painted a picture of a person intent on pitching himself as a hero for the unbanked and working class when much of those people’s money was in fact used to fund highly risky investments.

“Touting himself and his company as a modern-day Robin Hood, Mashinsky boasted that Celsius ‘delivers yield … to the people who would never be able to do it themselves, [and] we take it from the rich,’” the suit said. “These promises were false.”
According to the bankruptcy court, however, there may be a limit to what the legal system can do when crypto companies are savvy enough to protect themselves. Investors and a number of states that joined their motion say the language was at least “ambiguous” in the rights it granted Celsius. But Glenn disagreed.
Lawyers for Celsius, Joshua Sussberg and Patrick J. Nash Jr., and lawyers for the creditors, Gregory Pesce and Andrea Amulic, did not respond to requests for comment.

The bankruptcy ruling focused specifically on whether Celsius as part of the restructuring can now sell $18 million in so-called stablecoins, a type of virtual currency, to help stay solvent. But its implications are much larger. By ruling that the money in the accounts wasn’t really owned by the 600,000 account holders, the court has basically said they are now just unsecured creditors. And “there simply will not be enough value available to repay” them, Glenn wrote.
The effects could go even beyond them to impact other crypto platforms with strict language in their fine print — presenting problems to customers in the event of a collapse.
“This just raises another question about how hard it is to transact in the Wild West of crypto,” said Brian Marks, who teaches economics and business law at the Pompea College of Business at the University of New Haven and has studied the Celsius case. “I would not be surprised to see other companies reexamine their terms and conditions after this.”

The connections between crypto firms are vast, and the failures of one can ripple to another, even months later. On Thursday, the crypto lender Genesis said it would lay off 30 percent of its staff, partly as a result of a loan to FTX sister firm Alameda Research.
Celsius creditors are affected by the FTX bankruptcy too. Mashinsky’s former firm, the New York lawsuit revealed, had lent $1 billion to Alameda that it collateralized with FTX’s token FTT.
“The value of FTT has since plummeted by roughly 95%,” it said, “leaving Celsius holding nearly worthless collateral.”

Unpossible

Matt Damon told me "Fortune favors the bold"

• Love
Crypto is currently a tax dodge and will be highly regulated in the years to come. The day the irs comes after crypto, and it will, its luster will be gone. And then it goes to 0.
According to google

IRS treats cryptocurrency as “property.” If you buy, sell or exchange cryptocurrency, you're likely on the hook for paying crypto taxes. Reporting your crypto activity requires using Form 1040 Schedule D as your crypto tax form to reconcile your capital gains and losses and Form 8949 if necessary

Im thrilled that my assessment of this a decade ago was correct. I wish I would have put some money in early and taken advantage of some of the morons to cash out later….but oh well.
What was the price when you made this ‘assessment’ a decade ago?

What is the price today?

According to google

IRS treats cryptocurrency as “property.” If you buy, sell or exchange cryptocurrency, you're likely on the hook for paying crypto taxes. Reporting your crypto activity requires using Form 1040 Schedule D as your crypto tax form to reconcile your capital gains and losses and Form 8949 if necessary
All true, but who does, when it's being traded on uncle vanyas borscht exchange? It's not like Schwab reporting a consolidated 1099 for their brokerage customers.

The tax that a cryptocurrency like bitcoin dodges is the modern form of seigniorage that comes with the governments issuing unlimited fiat.

If you understand how a counterfeiter is actually stealing from the money holding public, then you should be able to understand how the government taxes by the same method.

The tax that a cryptocurrency like bitcoin dodges is the modern form of seigniorage that comes with the governments issuing unlimited fiat.

If you understand how a counterfeiter is actually stealing from the money holding public, then you should be able to understand how the government taxes by the same method.
I get your drift but the parallels only go so far. I laugh at crypto investors. You should load up on it.

I get your drift but the parallels only go so far.
When do you expect the government to stop printing?
I suspect they intend to go farther printing than you can imagine.
WH budget forecast is trillion+ deficits every year for the next decade.
It can only be sustained by continued debasement of the USD.

I laugh at crypto investors. You should load up on it.
Would you bet that the bitcoin price in USD by 2030 will be lower, or higher, than it is today?

Definitely not loading up that's what the 401K is for but holding some because you never know.
Once upon a time buying Amazon or Apple stock or using the internet was mocked and laughed at.
The only difference is what you have stated, while true, were always regulated. This is the wild wild west.

Reactions: SA_Hawk
When do you expect the government to stop printing?
I suspect they intend to go farther printing than you can imagine.
WH budget forecast is trillion+ deficits every year for the next decade.
It can only be sustained by continued debasement of the USD.

Would you bet that the bitcoin price in USD by 2030 will be lower, or higher, than it is today?
Lower.

The recent ruling regarding the ownership of funds deposited with Celsius Network indeed highlights some of the challenges and risks within the crypto industry. It's a reminder of the importance of thoroughly understanding the terms and conditions of any platform we engage with, especially in the fast-evolving world of cryptocurrencies.
As the crypto landscape continues to evolve, it's essential for investors to stay informed and educated about the platforms they use. This ruling might prompt individuals to be more cautious and do their due diligence before entrusting their assets to any service provider. If you're interested in exploring crypto opportunities further, platforms like Ethereum Code could offer insights into trading strategies and trends.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT