ADVERTISEMENT

Baer or CMac?

Baer or CMac?

• Baer

• CMac

Results are only viewable after voting.
I enjoyed watching Baer because he busted his ass day in day out like Garza does. However CMac brings more to the team through scoring and being a ball handler the guys can depend on.

I'm just curious as why some chose Baer ? If you would please?

Baer had better stats, but we are comparing conner’s sophomore year to baers senior year. I gotta choose Conner because I think he is just scratching the surface.

Baer earned a scholarship through hard work and sweat, changed his game from a player that scored around the basket as a center at Bettendorf, to a player that was pretty reliable from the 3 point line and rebounder.
Baer was the precursor to Garza, always in motion and never took a minute off when on the floor and became a instant fan favorite to all Hawkeye fans.
I really don't know how one can distinguish between one or the other, Baer was a forward and not required to handle the ball as Connor does. They both did/do their jobs on the court and both will go down as pretty good Hawkeye players, not great but very reliable.

They're two different players, both of whom were/are playing great roles for the Hawkeyes. No need to compare them whatsoever.

Which are best: apples or steaks? ;)

BTW: I miss everything about Nicholas Baer. And I am mystified by those who claim to be Iowa fans and criticize the walk-on from Bettendorf who became the Big Ten's 6th Man of the Year and a vital cog in some very good Iowa teams.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on the make up of the team around them.

Both are good role players who lack a few things but a very good in some areas.

If I had to pick one in a vacuum I'd probably go Connor because hes better with the ball and can facilitate more things for others so has an overall bigger impact.

Reactions: owenhawk
Depends on the make up of the team around them.

Both are good role players who lack a few things but a very good in some areas.

If I had to pick one in a vacuum I'd probably go Connor because hes better with the ball and can facilitate more things for others so has an overall bigger impact.
My thoughts plus he always seems to make the team better when he is on the floor, and he plays very good defense. Very good.

True, but didn't CMac lead the country in A/TO ratio (as a sophomore?) That's a pretty valuable stat right there.
Of course that is valuable. So is intensity, energy, hustle, scoring, steals, blocks, and rebounds. ;)

The Baer was a good player with a very unique niche role. Loved it when we opened the cage.

CMac isn't nearly as exciting but he's probably also a better player. CMac is a tighter defender, better ball handler, better passer. CMac could develop more of an offensive game. If that happens then CMac's will have proven to be a much better player.

The Baer was a good player with a very unique niche role. Loved it when we opened the cage.

CMac isn't nearly as exciting but he's probably also a better player. CMac is a tighter defender, better ball handler, better passer. CMac could develop more of an offensive game. If that happens then CMac's will have proven to be a much better player.

Connor has turned into a decent shooter.

He still does the hesitation thing sometimes though and always misses those shots.

Once he breaks that habbit he will probably be upper mid 30s percentage which is good enough to stop other teams from sagging off.

Of course that is valuable. So is intensity, energy, hustle, scoring, steals, blocks, and rebounds. ;)
Looks like most agree with me when looking at the big picture. And I would say that for intensity, energy, and hustle, Baer and CMac were about even. CMAC finished at 34% from the 3 this year and 78% for FTs, 4 RB/game and a little over 6 ppg as a sophomore. Baer was at 6.6 ppg and 36% from the 3, and 4.6 RBs. He did not play as many minutes but he was often gassed and pulled out to rest whereas CMac played through it. CMac's toughness is without question one of the intangibles that carried Iowa this year. Baer had a good impact in several games but he was not nearly the heart and soul of the team like CMac was this year. JMHO.

Not an easy vote, but I picked CMac for his importance to the offense (in particular, assist/to and moving the ball), which I believe exceeds what Baer brought to the defense. BOTH are underrated by just looking at simple stats.

Did Connor steal your girlfriend? Punk you on the bball court? What is your problem with him? You seem to be pushing a strong agenda to attack Connor. He and Baer are two completely different players....it would not be an either or.

Loved Baer but Connor is the more valuable player. The same people who picked Baer coincidentally are the same people who hate Fran, and Iowa athletics for that matter. Same names pop up over and over again criticizing and generally being nasty douche weasels.

Loved Baer but Connor is the more valuable player. The same people who picked Baer coincidentally are the same people who hate Fran, and Iowa athletics for that matter. Same names pop up over and over again criticizing and generally being nasty douche weasels.
Really? I picked Baer and don’t hate Fran whatsoever.

Frankly, I don’t think it’s an either/or proposition with these players since they play(ed) different positions.

I picked Baer in part because of his ‘under the radar’ rise from walk-on to extremely valuable player. Connor was a known commodity and expected to perform at a high level.
Defensive stats (blocks/steals) lean toward Baer, but ball-handling and playmaking ability go to Connor.
Leadership? Both in their own ways have that ability.
Frankly, I’ll take both of them.

"Dopey post of the year award". Congrats.

Really? I picked Baer and don’t hate Fran whatsoever.

Frankly, I don’t think it’s an either/or proposition with these players since they play(ed) different positions.

I picked Baer in part because of his ‘under the radar’ rise from walk-on to extremely valuable player. Connor was a known commodity and expected to perform at a high level.
Defensive stats (blocks/steals) lean toward Baer, but ball-handling and playmaking ability go to Connor.
Leadership? Both in their own ways have that ability.
Frankly, I’ll take both of them.
I picked Baer but also like Connor. It was a choice between 2 damn players..God forbid all people don't choose CMac.

"You don't like Connor more than Baer so you're obviously a hater." How silly and childish.

Reactions: mstp1992
The OP is just bored and looking to stir up a non-Covid-19 discussion. It's a little annoying/silly but at least it gets our minds off the serious stuff for a few minutes.

Reactions: perryhawk
He plays average at best defense. He gets lost in the zone WAY too often to be even considered "good" at this point.
lebowski-opinion1.jpg

Reactions: perryhawk
He plays average at best defense. He gets lost in the zone WAY too often to be even considered "good" at this point.
Just a heads up - You're about to receive a handful of childish replies bashing you for your thoughts. Don't "cross" some of these people. Lol.

Yeah, because this isn't a hyper-judgmental, "my way or the highway" post...you, little boy, or I ASSUME little boy as you've actually typed the words "douche weasels," are the loser.

Punch yourself in the face a few times, and then grow up.

Baer vs. Connor? Depends on the year and the team's needs. Right now, Connor, because Iowa needs his ball handling abilities. The better question would be Baer vs. Joe W. at the 3 -- I'd take Baer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT