ADVERTISEMENT

bands that released several albums before hitting it big

DSMan

Scout Team
Nov 12, 2006
here's a question - how would they be remembered if they had all died in a plane crash before hitting it big?

REO Speedwagon - probably remembered as similar to someone like Head East
J Geils Band - Humble Pie or Faces
Pink Floyd - Traffic or maybe Procol Harum

I can't imagine Pink Floyd compared to a band named after a cat. So I'll just suggest concerts which should have been:

War, with the B52's
Talking Heads with Simple Minds.
Missing Persons with Fine Young Cannibals
Madonna with Super Tramp
Smashing Pumpkins with Blind Mellon

they usually did not "hit it big" they usually sold out and became "pop" rather than obscure rock, pink Floyd included, reo included

I can't imagine Pink Floyd compared to a band named after a cat. So I'll just suggest concerts which should have been:

War, with the B52's
Talking Heads with Simple Minds.
Missing Persons with Fine Young Cannibals
Madonna with Super Tramp
Smashing Pumpkins with Blind Mellon

Oh, some of ya like those. :)

My all time favorite:

The Righteous Brothers with Twisted Sister

In the olden times when bands whom hadn't made it sticking to what they wanted to put out, record companies would pressure the band to go mainstream or they'd be threatened with getting dropped.

So, the aforementioned REO type moves towards ballads and more radio friendly music. There were dozens of bands who did this during the 70s and 80s.

But then record companies adjusted, more or less demanding this move right out of the box...then we started seeing bands like Boston getting signed. Bands whom had promotable material in the can ready to go. Also we saw bands like Asia and Foreigner where the record company had talent that had some track record that needed pieces of the puzzle put together to flesh out a promotable band.

And yeah, to claim Pink Floyd making this shift to survive is crazy talk. That was more of the band finding their writing stride with a record company that was willing to wait them out rather than a company pushing them or them consciously trying to become more mainstream.

And yeah, to claim Pink Floyd making this shift to survive is crazy talk. That was more of the band finding their writing stride with a record company that was willing to wait them out rather than a company pushing them or them consciously trying to become more mainstream.

The Saucerful/More/Ummagumma/AHM era is sort of them throwing spaghetti on the wall and seeing what works. I think the Meddle album is where the Pink Floyd sound that we all know seems to crystallize. Nick Mason has said as much.

Pink Floyd with Syd was poppier than anything that followed, so I don't agree with that.
well, my buddy listens to that older stuff on vinyl, so he gets me to listen to it. did not sound pop at all. sounded like druggie hippy 60's and 70's psych crap that was not really music. mostly sounds. learning to fly is radio pop. good music in my opinion but not to him, he likes the drug psych stuff.

In the olden times when bands whom hadn't made it sticking to what they wanted to put out, record companies would pressure the band to go mainstream or they'd be threatened with getting dropped.

So, the aforementioned REO type moves towards ballads and more radio friendly music. There were dozens of bands who did this during the 70s and 80s.

But then record companies adjusted, more or less demanding this move right out of the box...then we started seeing bands like Boston getting signed. Bands whom had promotable material in the can ready to go. Also we saw bands like Asia and Foreigner where the record company had talent that had some track record that needed pieces of the puzzle put together to flesh out a promotable band.

I wasn't saying they did it to survive, I was saying they did it to sell out. to make more money.

well, my buddy listens to that older stuff on vinyl, so he gets me to listen to it. did not sound pop at all. sounded like druggie hippy 60's and 70's psych crap that was not really music. mostly sounds. learning to fly is radio pop. good music in my opinion but not to him, he likes the drug psych stuff.

Learning to Fly? By the time Momentary Lapse of Reason came out Pink Floyd didn't need to sell out to make money, they already had a ton of it.

Reactions: TheCainer
then why do it? that album got more radio play.

Got more radio play than what? Dark Side of the Moon? Wish You Were Here? The Wall? No way. All of which came out way before Learning to Fly. To this day, all of those albums get WAY more radio play than any other Pink Floyd abums.

So why do it? It was their first album without Roger Waters, what did you expect? Of course it's going to be different.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers finally hit it big with their fifth studio album - Blood Sugar Sex Magik

Got more radio play than what? Dark Side of the Moon? Wish You Were Here? The Wall? No way. All of which came out way before Learning to Fly. To this day, all of those albums get WAY more radio play than any other Pink Floyd abums.

So why do it? It was their first album without Roger Waters, what did you expect? Of course it's going to be different.
none of that stuff played on the radio except maybe the wall in Ottumwa , but then, Ottumwa radio sucked

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT