ADVERTISEMENT

Bannon guilty of contempt of Congress

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Stephen K. Bannon, a former Trump strategist, was found guilty of contempt of Congress on Friday.
As Devlin Barrett, Spencer S. Hsu and Katie Mettler report, the right-wing podcaster and Trump’s longtime confidante was found guilty on two counts after refusing to provide documents or testimony to the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection.
Bannon, 68, is the closest person to Trump convicted amid the fallout from the attack on Congress — though the contempt case itself does not involve the events of that day.
Each of the two misdemeanor charges is punishable by at least 30 days and up to one year in jail.
“This case is not complicated, but it is important,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Molly Gaston told jurors in closing arguments Friday morning.
The jury deliberated for less than three hours after prosecutors said Bannon “chose allegiance to Donald Trump over compliance with the law.”
The trial lasted a week and featured only two witnesses. It tested a rarely-used criminal statute meant to ensure that people comply with congressional subpoenas. While Bannon vowed earlier this month to go “medieval” on his enemies, most of his legal arguments were rejected by the trial judge and Bannon ended up calling no witnesses.
Read more about Friday’s decision here.

maxresdefault.jpg

He needs to grift all he can. He was so defiant before the trial, and on the steps to the courthouse today he was full of bluster again. He will go full victim tonight.
There just isn't much here for him to appeal. It's a simple, simple case. I hope Peter Navarro is paying attention. Maybe he wants to go down with the ship, too?

Reactions: cigaretteman
Interesting note on Lib TV by former federal prosecutor Joyce Vance, who now teaches at the University of Alabama. By statute time will be served in jail, not a federal prison. Now, for a millionaire like Steve Bannon who enjoys the finer things in life any lock up will be arduous, he is most likely to go to the DC city jail.
I wonder if his lawyer explained that to him? He isn't going to find may MAGA types to hang with in a city jail.

Interesting note on Lib TV by former federal prosecutor Joyce Vance, who now teaches at the University of Alabama. By statute time will be served in jail, not a federal prison. Now, for a millionaire like Steve Bannon who enjoys the finer things in life any lock up will be arduous, he is most likely to go to the DC city jail.
I wonder if his lawyer explained that to him? He isn't going to find may MAGA types to hang with in a city jail.
Shoot, whatever jail he goes to, Bannon will come out looking better than he went in.

Reactions: win4jj
Ahh.. I was at the gym and just briefly saw 30 days and thought it was the max. Thanks!
To be fair, 30 days is about the max a whale like Bannon will be able to stand without high end call girls, booze, and eating soy based protein chicken style nuggets for dinner on Saturday night.

Last edited:
I hope he gets prison time. It's warranted. I also cannot wait for the cries of political oppression when he isn't allowed to fundraise or do his podcast from prison.
Were you for prison time for eric holder and lois lerner?
Tia.

Reactions: Speedway1
Jesus. Can you imagine being the jailor when that pig walks through the door? They'll probably just herd him directly to the shower and leave him there for 2 or 3 days. Toss in a little Clorox now and then.

Contempt of congress.
Just looked.
I was right.
Shocker.
Why do you think they didn't go to prison after they were convicted of contempt of Congress? Totally the same as the Bannon thing, right?

Why do you think they didn't go to prison after they were convicted of contempt of Congress? Totally the same as the Bannon thing, right?
Holder was held in contempt by Congress, but never criminally charged. Had he been convicted in a criminal court, he should have served time.

Reactions: Jerome Silberman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT