ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Banwart driven to succeed

Apr 8, 2003
Luke's article:
https://iowa.n.rivals.com/news/banwart-driven-to-succeed

After working with Iowa commit Cole Banwart the last couple of years, Algona head coach Andy Jacobson says there is no doubt that his best player was also his hardest worker. That is what the Hawkeyes are getting in the 6-foot-4, 275-pound Banwart, a player with a high motor that will work hard to succeed. We caught up with Jacobson to learn more.

Q: What type of player has Cole been for you?

JACOBSON: Cole has been an extremely hard worker. He is one of those kids who will be there when he says he'll be there. He was a great leader for us.. On the field, he has been physical and has a huge motor. He does things the right way.

Q: What are his main strengths as a player?

JACOBSON: His biggest strength is his excellent feet. The biggest thing is he loves to compete and is driven to play hard. I'd say it is his feet, he is a high effort guy, and he will do his best.

Q: What areas of his game is he working on?

JACOBSON: He is currently playing basketball and that helps his feet tremendously. During basketball, he lifts four times a week at 6:30AM. He is getting stronger. He is working on his flexibility and that will help with injury prevention.

Q: How was the transition for him from 8-Man football to 11-Man football as a junior?

JACOBSON: I think it was fairly smooth for Cole. He is a student of the game and watches football. I think he handled it pretty well.

Q: What type of player was he to coach?

JACOBSON: We were extremely fortunate. The best part was he is a high character guy. He is a great kid who does things with the things the right way.

Q: What have the Iowa coaches about where they see him at in college?

JACOBSON: They want to see him on the offensive side is what I've been told, which is great. I think he has the feet to play there and comes off the ball hard. I am excited to see what Coach Ferentz, Coach Doyle, and the staff can do with him.

Q: Are any other schools still recruiting him?

JACOBSON: Not that I am aware of. A few have requested transcripts but it was a pretty easy conversation saying it was Iowa. He is really strong with that. He is making his dream happen and they won't shake him off of that.

Q: How is his work ethic?

JACOBSON: Cole has been a great leader for us. It helps to have a successful team when your best player is your hardest worker. We have some guys that were committed showing up at 6:30 AM in the morning during the summer because they were working full time. He was one of those guys that never missed a workout. If you tell him to run 15 yards, he'd run 30 yards. He does thing the right way. Iowa will be happy to have a kid like that.

See highlights from Banwart's senior year at Algona in the video below.

Reactions: rivercityjazzman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.