ADVERTISEMENT

Barack Obama shares op-ed criticizing President Trump’s ‘poisoning of our democracy.’

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
It's about time:

By Colby Itkowitz
July 27 at 3:44 PM

Former president Barack Obama, who doesn’t often comment on current politics, on Saturday seemed to endorse an op-ed written by 149 African Americans who served in his administration that called out President Trump for recent comments degrading four congresswomen of color.

“I’ve always been proud of what this team accomplished during my administration. But more than what we did, I’m proud of how they’re continuing to fight for an America that’s better,” Obama tweeted with a link to the op-ed, which was published Friday evening in The Washington Post.

Under the headline, “We are African Americans, we are patriots, and we refuse to sit idly by,” the former Obama administration officials vowed to stand up against the “racism, sexism, homophobia and xenophobia . . . wielded by the president and any elected official complicit in the poisoning of our democracy.”

“There is truly nothing more un-American than calling on fellow citizens to leave our country — by citing their immigrant roots, or ancestry, or their unwillingness to sit in quiet obedience while democracy is being undermined,” they wrote.

After Trump tweeted that four minority lawmakers should “go back” to the places they were from and a crowd of Trump supporters chanted “Send her back!” at the mention of Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.), a Somali refugee who became a U.S. citizen in 2000, at a campaign rally, most Democrats became indignant.

Even Michelle Obama, who also shies away from Trump-era outrage, made her disdain for Trump’s comments known.

'Is Trump racist?': Lawmakers sound off on Trump's attacks of minority congresswomen

“What truly makes our country great is its diversity,” the former first lady tweeted, an apparent reference to Trump’s campaign slogan. “I’ve seen that beauty in so many ways over the years. Whether we are born here or seek refuge here, there’s a place for us all. We must remember it’s not my America or your America. It’s our America.”

The former president retweeted his wife, but that was the closest he came to weighing in on the issue of Trump’s racist remarks until he shared the op-ed.

Since leaving office, Obama has been extremely selective about when he weighs in on politics. By tradition, former presidents generally refrain from criticizing their successors, even if they are from opposite political parties.

However, some Obama supporters have expressed dismay as he seemed to disappear from public view as the Trump White House set out to systematically dismantle his legacy. Obama reappeared for the final weeks of the 2018 midterms, crisscrossing the country to campaign for Democrats and warning that “the character of our country is on the ballot.”

Now, as two dozen Democrats vie for the chance to take on Trump in 2020, Obama has once again faded into the background to allow that process to play itself out without his influence.

But those who worked for him wrote that watching up close as racism surged during and after the first black presidency “provided jet-fuel for our activism, especially in moments such as these.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...73b603e7f38_story.html?utm_term=.c20c088815ef

Last edited:
Barack Hussein Obama should know it’s a Democratic Republic.

oh wait...you mean the guy who was in office when Bid Laden went bye bye..
the same guy who voted against an invasion of the other guys' place where over 5000 americans lost their lives and many more were injured...

ya that middle name is a real problem...:rolleyes:...gosh.

oh wait...you mean the guy who was in office when Bid Laden went bye bye..
the same guy who voted against an invasion of the other guys' place where over 5000 americans lost their lives and many more were injured...

ya that middle name is a real problem...:rolleyes:...gosh.

We never had verification of “burial at sea”...

He should have sent it to Bush to add his signature. But, he’s a RHINO, so, who cares what he thinks.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Why am I the only anti-Trump person who didn't read his so-called "go back" tweet as overtly racist? He told them to go back and fix their own countries first. Since three of the four women were born in the United States, I'd say that makes him more of an idiot than anything else.

In short, calling Donnie a racist for that tweet is being too kind.

It's about time:

By Colby Itkowitz
July 27 at 3:44 PM

Former president Barack Obama, who doesn’t often comment on current politics, on Saturday seemed to endorse an op-ed written by 149 African Americans who served in his administration that called out President Trump for recent comments degrading four congresswomen of color.

“I’ve always been proud of what this team accomplished during my administration. But more than what we did, I’m proud of how they’re continuing to fight for an America that’s better,” Obama tweeted with a link to the op-ed, which was published Friday evening in The Washington Post.

Under the headline, “We are African Americans, we are patriots, and we refuse to sit idly by,” the former Obama administration officials vowed to stand up against the “racism, sexism, homophobia and xenophobia . . . wielded by the president and any elected official complicit in the poisoning of our democracy.”

“There is truly nothing more un-American than calling on fellow citizens to leave our country — by citing their immigrant roots, or ancestry, or their unwillingness to sit in quiet obedience while democracy is being undermined,” they wrote.

After Trump tweeted that four minority lawmakers should “go back” to the places they were from and a crowd of Trump supporters chanted “Send her back!” at the mention of Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.), a Somali refugee who became a U.S. citizen in 2000, at a campaign rally, most Democrats became indignant.

Even Michelle Obama, who also shies away from Trump-era outrage, made her disdain for Trump’s comments known.

'Is Trump racist?': Lawmakers sound off on Trump's attacks of minority congresswomen

“What truly makes our country great is its diversity,” the former first lady tweeted, an apparent reference to Trump’s campaign slogan. “I’ve seen that beauty in so many ways over the years. Whether we are born here or seek refuge here, there’s a place for us all. We must remember it’s not my America or your America. It’s our America.”

The former president retweeted his wife, but that was the closest he came to weighing in on the issue of Trump’s racist remarks until he shared the op-ed.

Since leaving office, Obama has been extremely selective about when he weighs in on politics. By tradition, former presidents generally refrain from criticizing their successors, even if they are from opposite political parties.

However, some Obama supporters have expressed dismay as he seemed to disappear from public view as the Trump White House set out to systematically dismantle his legacy. Obama reappeared for the final weeks of the 2018 midterms, crisscrossing the country to campaign for Democrats and warning that “the character of our country is on the ballot.”

Now, as two dozen Democrats vie for the chance to take on Trump in 2020, Obama has once again faded into the background to allow that process to play itself out without his influence.

But those who worked for him wrote that watching up close as racism surged during and after the first black presidency “provided jet-fuel for our activism, especially in moments such as these.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...73b603e7f38_story.html?utm_term=.c20c088815ef

Send him back!!

Reactions: BelemNole
What is it about former Democrat presidents that they can't shut their hole and know their role and go away.

Why am I the only anti-Trump person who didn't read his so-called "go back" tweet as overtly racist? He told them to go back and fix their own countries first. Since three of the four women were born in the United States, I'd say that makes him more of an idiot than anything else.

In short, calling Donnie a racist for that tweet is being too kind.

He presumed that the women were from other countries, most likely due to the color of their skin and the way their names are spelled/pronounced. That’s pretty racist.

ADVERTISEMENT