ADVERTISEMENT

Barnstormers 17's

2432Hawk

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jun 22, 2002
Pardeeville, WI
Finished off weekend in Atlanta knocking off #1 ranked Compton Magic in their pool. Handing them 1st loss of season (last weekend and this weekend on Gauntlet Series).

Barnstormers went 2-2 this weekend again w/o Joey Hauser

Isn't that bunch, the guys that run it, just such a great asset to the kids that play for them! I wish we could just wrap them up and make 'em a pure future Hawkeye training program. But I guess what's right for the kids is what they do and the way they do it, and I gotta be grateful we just enjoy being on a good relationship with them.

Tell you what, some of those wins we got last season had a direct link to the lessons taught to some of our Hawkeyes when they were Barnstormers.

Isn't that bunch, the guys that run it, just such a great asset to the kids that play for them! I wish we could just wrap them up and make 'em a pure future Hawkeye training program. But I guess what's right for the kids is what they do and the way they do it, and I gotta be grateful we just enjoy being on a good relationship with them.

Tell you what, some of those wins we got last season had a direct link to the lessons taught to some of our Hawkeyes when they were Barnstormers.

Bohannon, Pemsl, and Kriener were on Martin Brothers AAU. Baer played for Quad City Elite.

There are a lot of really good AAU programs in Iowa.

Bohannon, Pemsl, and Kriener were on Martin Brothers AAU. Baer played for Quad City Elite.

Yes there are.

I don't remember all the details, and of course did not see the game, but the July before we got commitments from Bohannon and Kriener...

Pemsl was enjoying an intentionally broken leg. Kriener had played a big part in getting the Barnstormers to a championship game but was then either slightly hurt or sick, couldn't play. And that little Marion kid who was lightly recruited and known more for having three older brothers all named Bohannon than for much else. He took the game over in the second half and the team won the tournament, if I recall correctly.

And now that kid is a Hawkeye. :D (Insert maniacal laughter here)

What we should be grateful, (maybe this is what you are getting at), is Fran has made a concerted effort to show some love to high school, and AAU basketball programs in the state of Iowa. Its already showed dividends and should continue in the future.

I would give a little more credit to their high school basketball coaches, however the AAU allows them to play against much better competition.

Reactions: DanL53
I would give a little more credit to their high school basketball coaches, however the AAU allows them to play against much better competition.

I agree, but since the thread was about the Barnstormers..........

Ethan Happ played for QC Elite, too, correct?

I am assuming Fran/his staff have great relationships with the AAU coaches; you have to in this day and age!

Most high school coaches have little or nothing to do with how good a player is these days. I know a ton of them could care less about High School basketball. It's all AAU. College coaches very rarely go to High School games now. Kids playing out of positions. High School coaches don't always play the style of play that the college plays so it's basically worthless to watch a kid play in high school.

Most high school coaches have little or nothing to do with how good a player is these days. I know a ton of them could care less about High School basketball. It's all AAU. College coaches very rarely go to High School games now. Kids playing out of positions. High School coaches don't always play the style of play that the college plays so it's basically worthless to watch a kid play in high school.
Really? Better send this note to Fran, that coaches don't go to high school games. He needs to stop wasting all that time! :oops:

Lots of wrong here.

Good high school coaches teach M to M defensive fundamentals...some of our freshman obviously didn't get that playing AAU. McCaffrey boys will definitely come in with good defensive fundamentals after playing at West!

This is mostly nonsense.

having a nephew as a head BB high school coach...you are full of it. I also know for fact multiple schools have made contact, multiple schools have been to open gyms & are at games to scout. I saw a half a dozen games last...they were colleges at every one of them.

Try again.

I believe that, if it hasn't started already, AAU will begin to decline in relevance. I think people are beginning to realize that while it showcases skills, it's really not doing a whole lot of good for these kids in terms of development, and I think people are beginning to realize that.

Note: I realize that this is a pretty broad brush and that there are teams like the Iowa Barnstormers which seem to do a much better job with team and individual development than others, but I'm speaking to AAU as a whole.

I can tell you, as a high school coach, good college coaches pay close attention to high school games. AAU obviously attracts college coaches with the showcase tournaments, but college coaches in no way ignore, either now or in the future, scouting high school games. One major issue with AAU is many, not all, but many teams do not preach team defense, tough man D, or sharing the ball. A college coach can obviously see the individual offensive talent of a player but seeing man up D or team oriented offense can be a challenge. For those reasons I cannot see college coaches ever giving up on an opportunity to see players play in a more structured environment in high school. The players high school team may not play the same system as the college coach but college coaches can project how a player can fit into their system. If they cannot project that, the college coach needs a new career. AAU provides visibility and experience playing against very good players but a college coach views it as just one more avenue or asset in evaluating potential college level talent. Good coaches use every opportunity to scout potential recruits, whether it is AAU or high school games.

I can tell you, as a high school coach, good college coaches pay close attention to high school games. AAU obviously attracts college coaches with the showcase tournaments, but college coaches in no way ignore, either now or in the future, scouting high school games. One major issue with AAU is many, not all, but many teams do not preach team defense, tough man D, or sharing the ball. A college coach can obviously see the individual offensive talent of a player but seeing man up D or team oriented offense can be a challenge. For those reasons I cannot see college coaches ever giving up on an opportunity to see players play in a more structured environment in high school. The players high school team may not play the same system as the college coach but college coaches can project how a player can fit into their system. If they cannot project that, the college coach needs a new career. AAU provides visibility and experience playing against very good players but a college coach views it as just one more avenue or asset in evaluating potential college level talent. Good coaches use every opportunity to scout potential recruits, whether it is AAU or high school games.
Well said!!

Reactions: Mike Zierath

thanks for replying & responding.

I believe that, if it hasn't started already, AAU will begin to decline in relevance. I think people are beginning to realize that while it showcases skills, it's really not doing a whole lot of good for these kids in terms of development, and I think people are beginning to realize that.

Note: I realize that this is a pretty broad brush and that there are teams like the Iowa Barnstormers which seem to do a much better job with team and individual development than others, but I'm speaking to AAU as a whole.

I know one HS coach who has said more than once it takes a few practices for him to break some bad habits after a kid plays a spring/summer ball.

Same token he fully realizes the benefits of playing around the country with the some of the best talent and in front of college coaches of all levels. He just wants to see as many of his guys get a chance at a scholarship....spoken like a school teacher...hum.

Reactions: unoHawkeye

Why do people make up stuff like this???

Let's it it this way. I am very very very close to one of these barnstormer said players and have spoke with the top college coaches. I didn't make that up. The only reason they go to high school games is so the recruit knows they are there. Not so they can see them play. Back when I was young they all came to watch them play. Now they don't care to see oh weiscamp beat the crap out of other high school kids. They go so weiscamp can see them in the stands and know they cared enough to come out

Why do people make up stuff like this???

I dont know ... makes u wonder the intent..

and its not one or the other ..both high school & spring/summer ball have merit. I appreciate what the good AAU programs do for most of these kids. I know one kid has already benefited with a full ride offer..with more to come.

same token..it is important that teenagers experience the highs & lows of high school..not only on the court & off. College coaches rely very much on HS coaches in terms of how a kid practices, attitude ...many HS coaches see these kids in class rooms, not just on the court.

Let's it it this way. I am very very very close to one of these barnstormer said players and have spoke with the top college coaches. I didn't make that up. The only reason they go to high school games is so the recruit knows they are there. Not so they can see them play. Back when I was young they all came to watch them play. Now they don't care to see oh weiscamp beat the crap out of other high school kids. They go so weiscamp can see them in the stands and know they cared enough to come out

I'm little confused with your second sentence...are you saying someone from Barnstormers told you college coaches dont scout high school games (just show up to show their face)...you spoke with top college coaches??? top??? and they told you the only reason they go to HS games is so the recruit knows' they are there...top college coaches told you that??? you are full of it.

I am very very very close to a high school coach.....I know for a fact that many schools including Iowa have called him multiple times over the last several years...not only on a particular player of his but also his opinion of other players. I can't & won't name names (including players)...I wish I could cause it would blow your BS right out of the water.

I know for fact because I sat behind him...an Iowa assistant was taking notes & shot charting a particular player at a HS game...does that sound like someone who is just there to show his face? Of course college coaches try to stay in contact when they can & show up for HS games of committed recruits when they can..to do other wise would be pretty stupid...dont you think?

? You are seriously confused. If you think AAU teams play college style basketball....go to one. It is decent competition, but every Tom, Dick, and Harry know it all Dad can have an AAU team. There is some awful basketball on a lot of these weekends. Teams like the Barnstormers and a few others around the country do it right and that is why they are successful. Just like anything....doing a thing a lot doesn't always mean you are doing it better or getting better. Skill development is the thing that most of these kids lack. The upper echelon AAU programs do not need to focus on that as much as the other 95%. There are kids that should NEVER play in a AAU game and spend all that time and money on developing their skills. I am not anti-AAU, but to make a statement that HS basketball is not important is utterly silly. The hype machine is just not as great.

Reactions: hawk-i bob
We turned our team over to an aau program and after going 156-35 over 3 years with us running an offense and finding mismatches, playing tough D, throwing in traps and presses. After 1 weekend of an aau tournament we sat down with the coaches and asked what the hell was that? It was every kid for himself, poor D etc. if a team has elite athletes you can do that, if not, you need to out execute teams.

We turned our team over to an aau program and after going 156-35 over 3 years with us running an offense and finding mismatches, playing tough D, throwing in traps and presses. After 1 weekend of an aau tournament we sat down with the coaches and asked what the hell was that? It was every kid for himself, poor D etc. if a team has elite athletes you can do that, if not, you need to out execute teams.
In 10 years of high school coaching, I have had 8-10 kids really dive into AAU. For the most part it has been a positive thing for them. There has been a common denominator among all of them after AAU......became more selfish. "Trying to get mine" , is the trait that infests most AAU programs (again not all). Some have felt that, since they played AAU that they are smarter than everyone else because they did. Unfortunately I had to have a sit down with most of them and explain the lay of the land and make them understand that they can lead without being condescending to their team mates. Again...I think Iowa kids are so lucky to have the Barnstormers and Martin Bros. type programs they can play with. That is great for the upper echelon players...problem is all the other Dad Coached teams that are doing it for all the wrong reasons.

The main reason for AAU teams is to get all this highly thought of talent together at one time. This makes it easy for schools to scout a lot of kids at one time when their playing in one of these elite tourneys. The other big thing is the kids get to be evaluated while playing against other quality players. AAU ball has rarely ever been about teaching fundamentals or good team play.

Reactions: hawk-i bob
Don't take this the wrong way, but the Barnstormers wouldn't be sponsored by Adidas or win tournaments without teaching the fundamentals and the right way to play. There is no amount of Iowa talent/size great enough to beat most of the bigger cities teams if we do not play the right way!

Don't take this the wrong way, but the Barnstormers wouldn't be sponsored by Adidas or win tournaments without teaching the fundamentals and the right way to play. There is no amount of Iowa talent/size great enough to beat most of the bigger cities teams if we do not play the right way!
Your correct in that It was not my intention to include them or some of the other fine programs who do it right. It was more of a general statement, so my apologies to those coaches doing it right. My youngest son played in college, and played AAU ball in high school. Between that and the meat markets I took him too, futurestar camps held at Drake, and Iowa City in 2002-2004, its an eye opening experience on a lot of the wrong things about recruiting young athletes.

In 10 years of high school coaching, I have had 8-10 kids really dive into AAU. For the most part it has been a positive thing for them. There has been a common denominator among all of them after AAU......became more selfish. "Trying to get mine" , is the trait that infests most AAU programs (again not all). Some have felt that, since they played AAU that they are smarter than everyone else because they did. Unfortunately I had to have a sit down with most of them and explain the lay of the land and make them understand that they can lead without being condescending to their team mates. Again...I think Iowa kids are so lucky to have the Barnstormers and Martin Bros. type programs they can play with. That is great for the upper echelon players...problem is all the other Dad Coached teams that are doing it for all the wrong reasons.
?? I don't get this at all, the Dad coached teams are doing it for the wrong reasons? After listing all the bad stuff about AAU?? So kids should only play, where?

?? I don't get this at all, the Dad coached teams are doing it for the wrong reasons? After listing all the bad stuff about AAU?? So kids should only play, where?
I think what he saying is, that while its commendable of these Dads to give of their free time to volunteer, there are many who only get into coaching so that they can provide a platform for THEIR son to become a star. You've seen these teams in youth basketball and baseball especially. Guy and his buddies get together and coach their boys, and let them play the position they want, and do what they want. Hopefully their qualified to actually coach these boys, and not just living out their fantasy of their own youth. Eventually either the kid has some god given talent or skills or he doesn't.
Again my disclaimer...... There are quality AAU and traveling teams coached by honest hard working Dads who are in it for the right reasons, so this is not a blanket to be thrown over all of them.

Basically let me lay it out there so you know where I am coming from....Grandfather and Father coached for 40+, myself 15+ (basketball 10+), played in college.

What I am saying is that there is absolutely little or NO regulation on anything AAU. Like KC said....the Dad who is pissed that his kid isn't the STAR in high school ball and feels like his kids shot at the big time is only through AAU. In my coaching career there have been dozen of instances of this exact thing happening. The worst part is when it bleeds over to high school basketball and these same parents want to run the show. They are ultra critical of the HS coach because their little Johnny had a great AAU season and it is not copying over to the high school team. Dad coached teams do not have to worry about eligibility because of grades, weightlifting requirements, tardiness from school where it effects sports, ect....

AAU basketball and high school basketball are not even close for the most part. Officials for one, are an absolute joke on the AAU circuit. If you are not aware of it go watch or follow @AAUBingo on Twitter. Been to so many games where the officiating or lack there of is unfathomable. The other glaring problem that bleeds over to high school basketball is the importance of each game. An AAU team might play 3-4 games a day....no big deal, "Going to get mine and show out". No sense of pride in the fact that one game can affect a whole season when it comes to high school basketball. The final and most bothersome problem is the vast amount of recruiting kids from AAU teams to open enroll at another school because of the AAU connections. If you do not think this is going on you need to look around. Major problem in all levels of basketball in Iowa.

Finally...I have said it numerous times...clubs like the Barnstormers and Martin Bros are elite AAU teams that are nationally recognized and do it right. If you go watch them play there is a sense of team and organization on both ends of the floor. This is exactly why they are successful and will continue to be. You don't have to sit at an AAU tournament for long to see the exact opposite. I have had most of my guys have great experiences playing AAU spring and summer ball. I have had some that it didn't work out very well and they and their parents felt like they were being taking advantage of.

To basically answer you last question about where they should play? 90% of them should NOT play anywhere...they should work hours a day on skill development. Basketball is a weird in the sense that just playing and never working on skills can actually hurt you more than help you. There are kids that are advanced enough that it doesn't hinder them as they get older, but I have seen it time and time again where kids are affected in a negative way.

I am just going by what the college coaches we have dealt with in the recruiting process have told us. Now I know they are not message board posters. However, They straight up don't care what a kid does in high school because there is no competition for them. They can see all the recruits on the Nike Circuit and Addidas every single weekend instead of having to go to a high school game in the middle of nowhere Iowa. If there is interest they will come to his games but that is just to recruit him, not watch his dominate other kids. Just what I was told.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT