ADVERTISEMENT

Barr blasts his own DOJ prosecutors, equates them to preschoolers and 'headhunters'

h-hawk

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 29, 2002
Oh the irony of Barr accusing others of having an agenda.

"In scathing remarks against his own staff, Attorney General William Barr said Wednesday that the Justice Department has recently acted "more like a trade association for federal prosecutors than the administrator of a fair system of justice" and equated some prosecutors to preschoolers and "headhunters."

Too much deference is given to career prosecutors, rather than to politically appointed leaders who can be held accountable at the ballot box, he said in remarks likely to further strain relations between Barr and some of the Justice Department's career prosecutors. "

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...ers-and-headhunters/ar-BB197D2z?ocid=msedgntp

No, I got it. He advocated for the active involvement of politicians and appointed executives in DOJ prosecutions - which is directly contrary to long-standing DOJ policy.

Be very careful what you wish for here.
I don't think you do... what quote or inference are you relying on to come to this conclusion?

In my mind he is saying that career prosecutors cannot act with impunity.

His exact quote.
"Good leaders at the Justice Department — as at any organization — need to trust and support their subordinates. But that does not mean blindly deferring to whatever those subordinates want to do."

Another one.
"Under the law, all prosecutorial power is vested in the attorney general. And these people are agents of the attorney general. As I say to FBI agents, 'Whose agent do you think you are?' Now, I don't say this in a pompous way, but that is the chain of authority and legitimacy in the Department of Justice."

He specifically said the DOJ needs to go after crimes and not people.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
Too much deference is given to career prosecutors, rather than to politically appointed leaders who can be held accountable at the ballot box.

Bob Barr - September 16, 2020

Reactions: Rudolph
Considering Barr is possibly the most corrupt AG in our history, I'd take it as a complement if I were them.

And I say that fully acknowledging that a few in the past deserved impeachment and jail time.
What makes Barr the worst AG ever is that each day he wakes up and promises to make the DoJ less effective, more political, and a tool of the WH.

This is the same interview where Barr compared wearing a mask to slavery.
Just like how you should never compare anyone except Nazis to Nazis, you should never compare anything but actual slavery to slavery.

He didn’t have time to clarify his remarks. He had to get back to defending the president from one of his many rape accusations.

Too much deference is given to career prosecutors, rather than to politically appointed leaders who can be held accountable at the ballot box.

Bob Barr - September 16, 2020
He is advocating political appointees take over prosecutions? Or sign off on the validity?

He is correct, as a matter of law, the power behind the DOJ rests with him and him alone. He is subject to public accountability, whereas Andrew Weissmann has free reign to screw however many people he has to to fit his political agenda.

If you think the AG is corrupt I guess I can see your point... but again its laughable that Barr and Trump are the originators of this trend.

He is advocating political appointees take over prosecutions? Or sign off on the validity?

He is correct, as a matter of law, the power behind the DOJ rests with him and him alone. He is subject to public accountability, whereas Andrew Weissmann has free reign to screw however many people he has to to fit his political agenda.

If you think the AG is corrupt I guess I can see your point... but again its laughable that Barr and Trump are the originators of this trend.

The AG tried to find a way to indict the Seattle Mayor, a former prosecutor herself, for her policy decision relating to free zones.

And if that doesn’t scare you, nothing will.

As I said, be very careful what you wish for.

Why should the DOJ be any different than any other bloated, bureaucratic, self-serving government institution?

Or sign off on the validity?

He is correct, as a matter of law, the power behind the DOJ rests with him and him alone.

I can see your problem here. You don't seem to understand who and what the DOJ represents.

AG should never "sign off on the validity" of anything. He should let the agents and prosecutors follow the law and the facts.

Reactions: cigaretteman
The AG tried to find a way to indict the Seattle Mayor, a former prosecutor herself, for her policy decision relating to free zones.

And if that doesn’t scare you, nothing will.

As I said, be very careful what you wish for.
He tried? Or made a comment about looking into the possibility? They set up an autonomous zone free from police for WEEKS. Small and probably inconsequential but what if Texas did it? Where is the cut-off??

Did this scare you?

I do agree we are getting further and further away for historical norms and the bounce back is giong to be terrible. But again, Barr and Trump didn't start this.

He tried? Or made a comment about looking into the possibility? They set up an autonomous zone free from police for WEEKS. Small and probably inconsequential but what if Texas did it? Where is the cut-off??

Did this scare you?

I do agree we are getting further and further away for historical norms and the bounce back is giong to be terrible. But again, Barr and Trump didn't start this.
Lol.

I can see your problem here. You don't seem to understand who and what the DOJ represents.

AG should never "sign off on the validity" of anything. He should let the agents and prosecutors follow the law and the facts.
tenor.gif

I see we can add the law to the ever growing list of things you think you can google and become an expert at... everyone has a boss or someone they answer to.

The Judiciary Act of 1789 created the Office of the Attorney General which evolved over the years into the head of the Department of Justice and chief law enforcement officer of the Federal Government. The Attorney General represents the United States in legal matters.

Not agents and not prosecutors.

tenor.gif

I see we can add the law to the ever growing list of things you think you can google and become an expert at... everyone has a boss or someone they answer to.

The Judiciary Act of 1789 created the Office of the Attorney General which evolved over the years into the head of the Department of Justice and chief law enforcement officer of the Federal Government. The Attorney General represents the United States in legal matters.

Not agents and not prosecutors.
Lol.

Did this scare you?

Now we are playing semantics. When the AG of the US says they looked into it, that’s enough for me. The AG, sitting in his office, thinking I wonder if we can indict the Mayor of Seattle should scare you.

And as far as the wingman comment, there’s guy talk - I got your back - and then there’s actual action. Let me know when Holder intervened on a matter to dismiss a prosecution after one of Obama’s people pleaded guilty to a felony.

While it didn’t start with Barr, historically, the politicians have generally stayed out of the prosecutions at DOJ.

What Barr is doing is beyond the pale. And I think you know it.

ADVERTISEMENT