ADVERTISEMENT

Bars Closing Again

efe9d2c84a2cc3727c73c8859e7a5b8e.gif

I'm not a bar person but one of my best friends owns 2 in Dallas County. We are fvcking up peoples livelihoods over something with a 99+% recovery rate in the population driving the decisions. Boo hoo yourself d1ckhead.
Phuque you you selfless little Russia bot...drink your vodka at home and shut your mouth, comrade.,

I'm not a bar person but one of my best friends owns 2 in Dallas County. We are fvcking up peoples livelihoods over something with a 99+% recovery rate in the population driving the decisions. Boo hoo yourself d1ckhead.

You and the ideologues you follow's resistance to taking any measures to limit the spread and turning this into a political issue is exactly why your best friend might lose his livelihood. Had we done what every other country that has managed to handle this disease did we wouldn't be in this situation now. If we had shut down the entire country and not piecemealed it out because at least there were some Governors that gave a damn, the virus would be minimal right now. But no, we had to have a bunch of whiny babies cry about being inconvenienced about wearing a mask and with encouragement from this administration.states started opening up too early. And then you all talk about this "hoax" as if the thing never even happened. You even go to the extent of making fake math that doesn't mean anything and throw it around like it means something (learn how to actually calculate a fatality rate...here's a hint, it doesn't involve the entire population of the United States). And now you have the balls to try and blame Democrats for your own stupidity.

You owe your best friend an apology. The reason he might lose his livelihood is staring back at you in the mirror every morning. I suspect you won't have the balls to do that though and you'll be the good little Russian stooge and keep spreading bullshit here.

How long are you going to stay afraid of your shadow?

Derp.
Not sure what you are talking about. I just had a nice outside lunch at a local establishment. You on the other hand prefer to stick with the same ignorant shit that has been peddled by MAGAs since April. Keep downplaying. You're the problem. I said 4 months ago I wanted to do this shit right ONE TIME. Unfortunately, and predictably, entitled babies in this country screwed this up, "lead" by the most corrupt president in history. Thanks to him, and people with your attitude for keeping this virus a problem longer than it needed to be.

I'll also throw in there, as you worry about peoples' livelihoods, the fact that millionaires and billionaires, helped by Trump and his cronies like Mnuchin, basically stole our tax dollars, again as predicted, instead of getting that money to the small businesses who desperately needed it. Thank them, again, for effing that up.

Figure it out, unless you truly are here because Putin wants you here.

Not sure what you are talking about. I just had a nice outside lunch at a local establishment. You on the other hand prefer to stick with the same ignorant shit that has been peddled by MAGAs since April. Keep downplaying. You're the problem. I said 4 months ago I wanted to do this shit right ONE TIME. Unfortunately, and predictably, entitled babies in this country screwed this up, "lead" by the most corrupt president in history. Thanks to him, and people with your attitude for keeping this virus a problem longer than it needed to be.

I'll also throw in there, as you worry about peoples' livelihoods, the fact that millionaires and billionaires, helped by Trump and his cronies like Mnuchin, basically stole our tax dollars, again as predicted, instead of getting that money to the small businesses who desperately needed it. Thank them, again, for effing that up.

Figure it out, unless you truly are here because Putin wants you here.
You think those "entitled babies" allow themselves to be "lead" by Trump? You really are off your rocker.

Newflash: there isn't a damn thing 45 could have done that would have made them listen. If he said the sky was blue they were going to fight it.

I don't disagree and frankly I think the state should be willing to pay their business rents/mtg payments for these owners for the amount of time they close them down and then offer unemployment benefits immediate to all employees and the owners with a bit of a boost in payments for forced closed owners and employees. It isn't ideal but it allows them to not lose their business and livelihoods in the matter of a few weeks/months.

Instead we did stupid stuff like PPP and $1,200 in one time stimulus checks for the entire country. Would have been much better off making sure assets were able to stay in peoples hands utilizing the systems we already had in place and then working with banks to accept loan payment interest (tuning the loan effectively into a I/O note paid by the state during the forced times of closure...banks would have been happy to do this vs incurring delinquencies).

Note: the fed made the right moves in slashing interest rates when they did and they may have to end up purchasing CMOs as well from bank balance sheets if CRE values slide in a manner that I am expecting.

Reactions: torbee and srams21
There Is an alternative that allows bars to stay open:

Test every student 2x per week. Contact trace and isolate positive cases. Implement financial penalties for those that don’t comply with distancing or mask guidelines (since they cost the University money and resources).

This is what University of Illinois is doing. Here is a link to their dashboard. Notice, the positivity rates are NOT going up Week over week and they are testing everyone.

The test they use was open source originally developed by Yale and modified by Illinois. There is NO reason Iowa could not do this.

https://go.illinois.edu/COVIDTestingData
Every school should be doing this. The newest test is $5 each and has rapid response. If the federal government won't fund it, the state should provide enough tests to test each student twice a week. Isolate the positives and get this crap behind us. And before someone says how expensive it would be...the first round of stimulus was $2 Trillion.

How do they determine what’s a “bar” versus a “restaurant”? If I’m a bar owner, can I stay open if I bring in a microwave, nuke some chicken tenders, and sell them?

How do they determine what’s a “bar” versus a “restaurant”? If I’m a bar owner, can I stay open if I bring in a microwave, nuke some chicken tenders, and sell them?
Need to have a food service license I believe.

Damn. Just when all of Linn County could use a drink.

I guess that between this and her dropping the strong-arm tactics against the Iowa City School District, Kim has been looking at her poll numbers lately.

Reactions: unIowa
That is not the point, nor is it factual. This age bracket is far less likely to die from COVID, but there are still deaths.

The age-range specifically driving the increased COVID numbers can be asymptomatic, but still transmit the virus to others who might be in a more vulnerable age and/or susceptibility bracket.

The point is not the mortality rate of the 19-24 y/o group, but that of others who may become infected from encounters with this age group.

Everyone 40 and older can just stay home! :rolleyes:

I mean, we have some really really stupid people on this board that can't seem to grasp how a virus like this spreads throughout the entire community when the number of infected spike too high.

It depends on what type of food is sold and what percentage of revenues come from alcohol sales. But of course the answer to this is packed house parties. Am I rite or what? Let's partay!

Story County is one of the six. As is Black Hawk (home of UNI).

How could #CovidKim have guessed that all 3 Iowa counties with major public universities open might struggle with bar-spread Covid cases after classes started? NO ONE COULD SEE IT COMING (except everyone)

Incorrect Torbee, there are a few dummies here who didn't see it coming or at the very least wanted to pretend it wouldn't happen.

So you’d go back to a restaurant that spit in your food and had a cockroach in your burger?

Because in the middle if a pandemic, a strong argument can be made that this is way worse.
No, a solid argument really can't be made for that but we're need dealing in reality and rational thinking any longer so whatever.

I am blaming her for this. Horrible ****ing decision to shut back down.

I don't agree with you on most things but I understand your frustration on this. Hell, I have a son on campus so I do have some skin in the game, and I will say, does it really matter if the bars are open. This is whats frustrating both sides of the argument. The solutions are inconsistent. What did everyone think was going to happen when you put 25k+ kids in a small area. Big deal you shutdown the bars, the kids will just get together somewhere else. If you truly don't want this to spread, then the whole school should have been remote from day 1. Otherwise just accept the outcome and hope the hospitals don't get overrun and people don't die. When they do, then shutdown the university. Do people really think shutting down the bars is going to solve this. Maybe so but I don't.

Lived above one for awhile and I'm guessing that took the bar fascination out of me. Haven't been to a bar in years. Nothing good ever came from it.

How very presumptuous to think you can control a viral disease. You can't.
How about putting some of the blame on bar owners and employees for not enforcing the guidelines?

How dare they go out there and try to earn a living for themselves to pay their bills and take care of their families.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT