ADVERTISEMENT

Barta: “If we get the NIL Collective done by the summer, we'll be in a good position.”

This is why Iowa will always finish in the middle of the Pack. Barta is absolutely worthless. To lose a recruit to Ole Miss in basketball is a complete joke!
Why? Was the recruit from the Midwest? Did the grow up in Big 10 territory? Is their family from up here?

The recruit to whom you refer is from Montgomery, AL. That's the heart of SEC country. He grew up watching SEC teams, and he then played for a team in Louisiana. It's not like Iowa lost out to a kid who loves snow/cold weather and was dying to play in the B1G.

Last edited:
Why? Was the recruit from the Midwest? Did the grow up in Big 10 territory? Is their family from up here?

The recruit to whom you refer is from Montgomery, AL. That's the heart of SEC country. He grew up watching SEC teams, and he then played for a team in Louisiana. It's not like Iowa lost out to a kid who loves snow/cold weather and was dying to play in the B1G.
Great rebuttal, to answer your irrelevant questions no. Does that make you feel better? Do you think if we had NIL money he wouldn’t want to play in the Big which is a much better conference and has much better fan support, facilities, etc..
Money talks and bs walks. These kids don’t give two shits about location. It’s all about the Benjamin’s, exposure and opportunity to get to the NBA. Fran did a hell of job getting the kid to come visit, but without NIL money he had no chance landing him, but you keep selling location! Lol

Great rebuttal, to answer your irrelevant questions no. Does that make you feel better? Do you think if we had NIL money he wouldn’t want to play in the Big which is a much better conference and has much better fan support, facilities, etc..
Money talks and bs walks. These kids don’t give two shits about location. It’s all about the Benjamin’s, exposure and opportunity to get to the NBA. Fran did a hell of job getting the kid to come visit, but without NIL money he had no chance landing him, but you keep selling location! Lol
Lol back at you if you think location doesn't matter. And the SEC has been throwing money at kids forever, so it wasn't a fair fight from the start. That Iowa was in it at all for Aimaq and Akwuba is testiment to the staff's efforts, regardless of what you say.

The last sentence says it all.

It probably won't happen but I think it should be a requirement that all schools publicly disclose their athletes' NIL deals. I would love, for example, to know what Texas A&M boosters paid to land their top ranked football class that is loaded with 5 and 4 stars.

And then I think we need to go back and ask ourselves is this really NIL or is it pay for play.

Lol back at you if you think location doesn't matter. And the SEC has been throwing money at kids forever, so it wasn't a fair fight from the start. That Iowa was in it at all for Aimaq and Akwuba is testiment to the staff's efforts, regardless of what you say.
You can’t help Stupid! You probably should sit this one out!

It probably won't happen but I think it should be a requirement that all schools publicly disclose their athletes' NIL deals. I would love, for example, to know what Texas A&M boosters paid to land their top ranked football class that is loaded with 5 and 4 stars.

And then I think we need to go back and ask ourselves is this really NIL or is it pay for play.

I agree the NIL deals should absolutely be made public. However, I don't think we really need to ask ourselves if it's NIL or Pay For Play... So far, it's clearly PFP!

Reactions: Franisdaman

I'm sure these schools will decline to disclose anything on the basis of student confidentiality.

No Barta fan, but I agree with the approach here. Racing a-hole over applecart on this deal is not the best strategy. Losing one or two recruits pales in comparison to the problems with a poorly organized collective. A lot of these early deals are going to be clusterf*cks.

"Tied to charities"? That's nice and all but I don't think that's going to help lure recruits.
“Tied to charities” could mean that donors can utilize the collective to make charitable contributions… not that the money is going to the charity of the recruit’s choice or something like that. This would be a good thing as it would incentivize donors to continue donating. Just a thought

Last edited:
Reactions: BBHawk

Disclosure is a must. Anything less is just asking for even more trouble,

And how are they going to compel that information be provided? And what would make anyone believe the information submitted?
Well, first you make it a RULE. Then you assign punishment for failure to disclose. Like ineligibility of the player, not allowing the collective to make NIL deals for a year, loss of bowl eligibility, etc.

It's just like any other rule - cheaters gonna cheat and some will get caught.

Well, first you make it a RULE. Then you assign punishment for failure to disclose. Like ineligibility of the player, not allowing the collective to make NIL deals for a year, loss of bowl eligibility, etc.

It's just like any other rule - cheaters gonna cheat and some will get caught.

All of those things will get overturned the first time they are taken to court, which will be immediately.

Last edited:
“Tied to charities” could mean that donors can utilize the collective to make charitable contributions… not that the money is going to the charity of the recruit’s choice or something like that. This would be a good thing as it would incentivize donors to continue donating. Just a thought
I think the idea is that the “work” student-athletes might do would be to promote some charitable events, be it making an appearance to sign autographs or promoting the event in some other way. (As opposed to promoting some random car dealership or furniture store.) They would then be paid for their efforts out of the collective. It could be a win-win situation.

For many young people today, the ability to make a difference in the world is a big motivator — sometimes even more so than making money, according to some studies.

I think the idea is that the “work” student-athletes might do would be to promote some charitable events, be it making an appearance to sign autographs or promoting the event in some other way. (As opposed to promoting some random car dealership or furniture store.) They would then be paid for their efforts out of the collective. It could be a win-win situation.

For many young people today, the ability to make a difference in the world is a big motivator — sometimes even more so than making money, according to some studies.
That’s a better explanation.

That’s plausible, though neither of your examples require any sort of affiliation with actual charities

I would be shocked if the university administration is not knee deep in analysis from multiple angles and stake holders, not the least of which is legal. Barta does not work in a vacuum folks. Good, bad or indifferent Iowa requires a process typically slower moving than many of these institutions. Reality.

That’s plausible, though neither of your examples require any sort of affiliation with actual charities
I may not be explaining it very well. @TomKakert does a better job during his guest spot on this week’s HawkCentral podcast. Definitely worth a listen (if for no other reason than to hear Leistikow, Dochterman, and Kakert all in one place).

What does "tied to charities" even mean?

Like, funneling money through charities for tax purposes?
No. Iowa's collective will be a 501c3 non-profit organization. It takes a bit of time to get that status. The plan is that student-athletes will receive money from the collective and it will be tied to their work with charitable organizations.

That makes sense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT