ADVERTISEMENT

Barta: “If we get the NIL Collective done by the summer, we'll be in a good position.”

Iowa has not been paying for players in the past but many schools have. Now everyone will be using NIL to recruit players so Iowa may need to on the basketball side also. Part of the reason Iowa is so late to the NIL table is that Iowa doesn't have a system in place for paying players like many schools. See Illinois, ISU and Neb for examples.
[Insert teams I don’t like] lol

So, the student athlete's will have to do additional work for pay? I'm not trying to be flippant. I truly don't get it.
It has two tracks.
One track is a 501c non profit set up for individuals to donate. The athletes will need to pay this off as charity work in order for it to remain a 501c. Schools that set up their collective as a 501c forgot this part could cause problems for their donors (restatement taxes,payment, fines, etc). Iowa’s first goal on this is 1k/month/player but i see it growing to 2.5-3k/month quickly.
The second track is for businesses to use athletes for promotions. This obviously is where the pay will be for production/recognition. Much more potential $$ at stake here also.
If you read between the lines the iowa athletic department understands donations from car dealers, kum and go, etc, etc, etc will now be split between the foundation/I club and athletes on this track.
Iowa coaches won’t be able to say “ sign with us and you’ll get this much”. They will say “talk to our players and see what they get and expect.”
Hope that helps.

It has two tracks.
One track is a 501c non profit set up for individuals to donate. The athletes will need to pay this off as charity work in order for it to remain a 501c. Schools that set up their collective as a 501c forgot this part could cause problems for their donors (restatement taxes,payment, fines, etc). Iowa’s first goal on this is 1k/month/player but i see it growing to 2.5-3k/month quickly.
The second track is for businesses to use athletes for promotions. This obviously is where the pay will be for production/recognition. Much more potential $$ at stake here also.
If you read between the lines the iowa athletic department understands donations from car dealers, kum and go, etc, etc, etc will now be split between the foundation/I club and athletes on this track.
Iowa coaches won’t be able to say “ sign with us and you’ll get this much”. They will say “talk to our players and see what they get and expect.”
Hope that helps.
That is a good high level primer.

Reactions: DogBoyRy
Iowa has not been paying for players in the past but many schools have. Now everyone will be using NIL to recruit players so Iowa may need to on the basketball side also. Part of the reason Iowa is so late to the NIL table is that Iowa doesn't have a system in place for paying players like many schools. See Illinois, ISU and Neb for examples.
Correct. I get what BBHawk is saying that teams shouldn't be "paying" for players to come to their schools. But the reality is that is what is now legal. And if Iowa doesn't participate, they are literally not going to get any good player who doesn't have other options at schools that have NIL infrastructure in place. It can be unseemly but it's reality. We saw that this year with all the big men turning down Iowa for quite honestly worse situations from a playing time and team standpoint.

If I'm a basketball player and Indiana and Iowa have both offered, and all things being equal I like both schools but one school guarantees $200k for every player and the other does not yet have NIL figured out, where am I going to go? I applaud TxHawk for getting the Iowa thing off the ground and I'm fairly positive that it will grow beyond what it starts out as, but either Iowa wants to compete to win championships legally or it doesn't. If it doesn't just say so and tell all of the fans that W/L don't matter but graduation rates do. Somehow I don't think that will drive attendance or donations.

Reactions: 1911_Bandit
Correct. I get what BBHawk is saying that teams shouldn't be "paying" for players to come to their schools. But the reality is that is what is now legal. And if Iowa doesn't participate, they are literally not going to get any good player who doesn't have other options at schools that have NIL infrastructure in place. It can be unseemly but it's reality. We saw that this year with all the big men turning down Iowa for quite honestly worse situations from a playing time and team standpoint.

If I'm a basketball player and Indiana and Iowa have both offered, and all things being equal I like both schools but one school guarantees $200k for every player and the other does not yet have NIL figured out, where am I going to go? I applaud TxHawk for getting the Iowa thing off the ground and I'm fairly positive that it will grow beyond what it starts out as, but either Iowa wants to compete to win championships legally or it doesn't. If it doesn't just say so and tell all of the fans that W/L don't matter but graduation rates do. Somehow I don't think that will drive attendance or donations.
A school cannot guarantee any NIL money.

It has two tracks.
Hope that helps.
Paying every single player 12k a year is idiotic!! Doubling or tripling that even more idiotic and flat out ridiculous. Some 2star kid with no p5 offers is gonna get paid from day 1?? Just stupid and a waste of money!
If thats true....wow!!

Sure seems against rules and not "nil" at all. Barta considers that "doing it right"?? Lol

Technically no. But in reality, the NIL collective right now at some schools is operating that way.
Will it in 2 years when the bidding goes up each year? Or a kid doesn't meet expectations? It's not as if these deals can have incentives for performance or that would clearly be pay-for-play.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Paying every single player 12k a year is idiotic!! Doubling or tripling that even more idiotic and flat out ridiculous. Some 2star kid with no p5 offers is gonna get paid from day 1?? Just stupid and a waste of money!
If thats true....wow!!

Sure seems against rules and not "nil" at all. Barta considers that "doing it right"?? Lol
It does seem like structuring it so that every player gets the same dollar amount, while maybe sounding nice, is not going to let us compete for better recruits. The best recruits/players will need to get more money or Iowa isn’t going to compete. I don’t see why that is “against the rules” though.

If paying recruits to come to your school is legal, as it seems to be now, then that is the rule and participating will be doing things "the right way." Otherwise, cut the recruiting budget and just play players you find in the intramural leagues.

It probably won't happen but I think it should be a requirement that all schools publicly disclose their athletes' NIL deals. I would love, for example, to know what Texas A&M boosters paid to land their top ranked football class that is loaded with 5 and 4 stars.

And then I think we need to go back and ask ourselves is this really NIL or is it pay for play.
Why does it matter what other schools, i.e. TAM is paying- it will not change what Iowa can offer or do about it.

It does seem like structuring it so that every player gets the same dollar amount, while maybe sounding nice, is not going to let us compete for better recruits. The best recruits/players will need to get more money or Iowa isn’t going to compete. I don’t see why that is “against the rules” though.
That is only one part of the plan(501c part)
The other part will/can be tied to performance/recognition and will be as much as businesses are willing to pay for endorsement, etc.

Barta's one area of competence seems to be sucking up to donors and getting them to part with their money.
He'll clearly need a lot of help, but maybe he can actually be of some support in getting an NIL collective put together.

You're suppose to be paid for your likeness, which doesn't go with allowing a "base salary"

Reactions: kceasthawk
Why does this take Iowa longer than every other school?
The only people to blame here are ourselves. NIL is NOT part of the Iowa athletic department. Iowa didn’t set ours up. I did. And I’m no different or better than any of you guys who just love the hawks.

We are ramping up as fast as we can. We have a logo. We have an executive director who starts in two weeks. I’ve got somebody working on a website and somebody working on the backend reporting. Hoping to announce this to the world (best case later this month) once we can easily accept donations online on our website.

cheers and go hawks!

The only people to blame here are ourselves. NIL is NOT part of the Iowa athletic department. Iowa didn’t set ours up. I did. And I’m no different or better than any of you guys who just love the hawks.

We are ramping up as fast as we can. We have a logo. We have an executive director who starts in two weeks. I’ve got somebody working on a website and somebody working on the backend reporting. Hoping to announce this to the world (best case later this month) once we can easily accept donations online on our website.

cheers and go hawks!
This ^^^^^^.

Isn't is amazing how fast bullshit travels? So many posters posting things that are not just uninformed but outright lies.

Reactions: DogBoyRy

cheers and go hawks!
Thanks!!!!!!!
Where in fla are you?
Might have to have a drink.

cheers and go hawks!
Best post on this site in months.
Again - thanks for your efforts.

If paying recruits to come to your school is legal, as it seems to be now, then that is the rule and participating will be doing things "the right way." Otherwise, cut the recruiting budget and just play players you find in the intramural leagues.
I agree Ronman. Iowa needs to get off its soapbox and actually try to win here -- legally. People may not like it, but these are the rules now. If this offends Iowa's sensibilities, just go D-III for sports and save everyone some time and money.

Then might as well give up and just not even play unless they are going to be ok being BOTTOM FEEDERS!
This BS may be happening now but I seriously doubt it will be allowable under the eventual guide rails that will be put into place. Hopefully there will be serious penalties for infractions once the guidelines are hammered out across all of D1.

There will be reform in the NIL system, without it the entire system will eventually collapse. I think even the big dog institutions recognize this as a fact.

The biggest question for me is when reforms do happen can Iowa still reasonably expect to compete at the level we’re accustomed to? It remains to be seen and the future right now is extremely uncertain.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT