ADVERTISEMENT

Barta being Kirk's

hawk_a_holic

HR Legend
Aug 21, 2001
so called "boss" is going to put us behind for a long time. Things are too competitive to allow such horrible nepotism when they are heading towards the bare bottom by being behind on NIL and scheme. Barta seems to like leading from or with his behind. I hope for Gary's sake KF buys him a bunch of knee pads and a back brace. I really don't want to be Indiana or Northwestern for a decade. No question that Gary says Brian and the offense just needs to work on executing and cleaning things up. The landscape has surpassed Iowa, land of no Wide Receivers and QB's that deteriorate over time.

so called "boss" is going to put us behind for a long time. Things are too competitive to allow such horrible nepotism when they are heading towards the bare bottom by being behind on NIL and scheme. Barta seems to like leading from or with his behind. I hope for Gary's sake KF buys him a bunch of knee pads and a back brace. I really don't want to be Indiana or Northwestern for a decade. No question that Gary says Brian and the offense just needs to work on executing and cleaning things up. The landscape has surpassed Iowa, land of no Wide Receivers and QB's that deteriorate over time.
Meanwhile Nebby and Wisco are retooling with really good coaches and BB is positioning Illinois to no longer be an auto W. But hey, we won 12 games 7+ seasons ago and the offense was a force to be reckoned with in 2002, so why change?

Iowa has the #21 Recruiting Class currently. We've hit a rough patch without question, but let's not pretend the cupboard is bare or something. Make the right changes and I think it's more than reasonable to expect the hawkeyes bounceback.
Let's not pretend our offensive scheme does not suck and no WR that has options should or would ever come here. 17 PPG is criminal. Period. End of story. Yes, you long have hired a DC that wins most games for you. Has nothing to do with the fact that we choose to be this way by choice. Our reputation is sealed for the time being.

Reactions: Slappy Pappy
Let's not pretend our offensive scheme sucks and no WR that has options should or would ever come here. 17 PPG is criminal. Period. End of story. Yes, you long have hired a DC that wins most games for you. Has nothing to do with the fact that we choose to be this way by choice.
Don't disagree with anything here. Scheme obviously needs to evolve - there's no reason we can't have the scheme change to mirror what other run-heavy teams like Michigan, Georgia do (obviously with better players) while keeping to the basics of Kirk's philosophy. Kirk also needs to remember that conservative coaching does not equal playing it safe.

What Kirk does after the season is over regarding Brian, a new OC (or not), and the portal will give us an indication as to the immediate future of the program.
I agree with this completely.

As for the OPs thoughts, I don't think his fears are silly at all. In fact, I have even thought the same. Today it just seems like we are a bit antiquated.

Meanwhile Nebby and Wisco are retooling with really good coaches and BB is positioning Illinois to no longer be an auto W. But hey, we won 12 games 7+ seasons ago and the offense was a force to be reckoned with in 2002, so why change?
In 2002 we had a great offense. Mobile QB and runner up Heisman. So, of course that is too sexy for Kirk. TE U is about to become Walk On U. Did KF get to the point where he became obsessed with no margin for error kind of games? He did it well 20 years ago but avoids the style that got him 8-0 in the conference (the other 8-0 was with CJB, the only QB we have on an NFL roster and fairly mobile).

💯 % Agreed with your assessment

Iowa has the #21 Recruiting Class currently. We've hit a rough patch without question, but let's not pretend the cupboard is bare or something. Make the right changes and I think it's more than reasonable to expect the hawkeyes bounceback.
That’s…not going to hold up as the #21 class. We’ll be lucky if its top 40 once its all said and done. For all the recruiting ranking stuff Kirk does have a bare cupboard on offense

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
In 2002 we had a great offense. Mobile QB and runner up Heisman. So, of course that is too sexy for Kirk. TE U is about to become Walk On U. Did KF get to the point where he became obsessed with no margin for error kind of games? He did it well 20 years ago but avoids the style that got him 8-0 in the conference (the other 8-0 was with CJB, the only QB we have on an NFL roster and fairly mobile).
To be fair, both examples you cited also included two really good lines and you're not going to find many good offenses with poor lines.

He's not wrong when he spends so much time harping on the need to execute. But he's seemingly failed to adjust to how rule changes have impacted his preferred style of zone blocking for example. It simply won't work the way it used to.

I wish I could ask Kirk how and why he can look back at all the things that worked well on his best teams, but seemingly discount the fact that they also included QBs that could at the very least escape the pocket when needed.

That’s…not going to hold up as the #21 class. We’ll be lucky if its top 40 once its all said and done. For all the recruiting ranking stuff Kirk does have a bare cupboard on offense
While I agree it's likely to slide downwards as other teams (and us) finish these recruiting classes, I'll wager anything you want we're not dropping 20 spots.

To be fair, both examples you cited also included two really good lines and you're not going to find many good offenses with poor lines.

He's not wrong when he spends so much time harping on the need to execute. But he's seemingly failed to adjust to how rule changes have impacted his preferred style of zone blocking for example. It simply won't work the way it used to.

I wish I could ask Kirk how and why he can look back at all the things that worked well on his best teams, but seemingly discount the fact that they also included QBs that could at the very least escape the pocket when needed.
The need to execute is not on the players. It's on the coaches to coach them too execute. He's been using that excuse for eons.

To be fair it’s difficult for Barta to give orders when he’s got KF’s balls in his mouth all the time.

But is it reasonable to expect Kirk to make the right changes at this point? I expect whatever is best for the Ferentz family

That 20O2 team was terrific, maybe the school’s best. Just ran into buzz saw in final game.
Kirk hasn’t even been close to that team in 20 years.

Last edited:
Let's not pretend our offensive scheme does not suck and no WR that has options should or would ever come here. 17 PPG is criminal. Period. End of story. Yes, you long have hired a DC that wins most games for you. Has nothing to do with the fact that we choose to be this way by choice. Our reputation is sealed for the time being.
If my math is correct, an extra 30 points on the season - divvied up between ISU, IL, UM & NE - would have boosted the Hawks ALL THE WAY up to 19.9 ppg and the 115th ranked offense in the country....and an 11-1 record.

‘Tis football.

• Sad
Reactions: Tunadog
The need to execute is not on the players. It's on the coaches to coach them too execute. He's been using that excuse for eons.
It’s on everyone, coaches to players. Only so much coaches can do when linemen flatout miss blocks. Only so much players can do when the coaches/scheme requires near-perfect execution to succeed.
But is it reasonable to expect Kirk to make the right changes at this point? I expect whatever is best for the Ferentz family

Reactions: iowaathletes
What Kirk does after the season is over regarding Brian, a new OC (or not), and the portal will give us an indication as to the immediate future of the program.
We will see if Kirk puts his family/Brian before the program. If he does keep him I think Kirk and Barta are under estimating the apathy it could create among the fan base.

Reactions: 83Hawk
Fickell and Rhule are both probably going to be fine (especially Rhule) but neither off them have coached at a place where the expectations are so out of proportion to the realistic acces they have to top talents relative to much of their conference. For instance Temple had no expectations at all, Baylor had a little but not much and was located in a fertile recruiting ground when compared to others in their conference, cincy didn't really have expectations but also had access to recruits. Nebby especially is at a disadvantage in recruiting and even Wisconsin does to relative to teams in the East. Fickell when faced with high expectations did not get good results. So neither hire 8s necessarily a home run. With a chance at a homerun. Iowa needs to evolve and the last few years have been unacceptable but w3 have no idea what either Rhule or Fickell will do at a place like Iowa. We will see in the next few years. Rhules Baylor run looked similar to Kirk's first years at Iowa

Fickell and Rhule are both probably going to be fine (especially Rhule) but neither off them have coached at a place where the expectations are so out of proportion to the realistic acces they have to top talents relative to much of their conference. For instance Temple had no expectations at all, Baylor had a little but not much and was located in a fertile recruiting ground when compared to others in their conference, cincy didn't really have expectations but also had access to recruits. Nebby especially is at a disadvantage in recruiting and even Wisconsin does to relative to teams in the East. Fickell when faced with high expectations did not get good results. So neither hire 8s necessarily a home run. With a chance at a homerun. Iowa needs to evolve and the last few years have been unacceptable but w3 have no idea what either Rhule or Fickell will do at a place like Iowa. We will see in the next few years. Rhules Baylor run looked similar to Kirk's first years at Iowa
Good points and mostly agree. I do think Nebby has plenty of access to top talent, their recruiting classes over the past half decade or more have included plenty of 4/5 star recruits. That's what has made Frost's failures that much more fun.

If my math is correct, an extra 30 points on the season - divvied up between ISU, IL, UM & NE - would have boosted the Hawks ALL THE WAY up to 19.9 ppg and the 115th ranked offense in the country....and an 11-1 record.

‘Tis football.
I suspect some of our opponents could use the same fancy math to improve their record and which would then include wins over Iowa. That's Football, indeed!

Reactions: Crimea River
If Brian had any sense of honor, he would tender his resignation and admit he didn't get the job done. Kirk, realizing how much his life has improved by the good graces of being at the University of Iowa, would swallow his pride and accept it.

We will see if Kirk puts his family/Brian before the program. If he does keep him I think Kirk and Barta are under estimating the apathy it could create among the fan base.
Kirk making Brian the QB coach on top of his OC duties after a history of bad offenses and no QB coaching experience is really all we need to know to see that at this point, with a lifetime contract, the Family business is the priority. BF would have been fired literally anywhere else a long time ago and we all know that.

If Brian had any sense of honor, he would tender his resignation and admit he didn't get the job done. Kirk, realizing how much his life has improved by the good graces of being at the University of Iowa, would swallow his pride and accept it.
134.gif

ADVERTISEMENT