ADVERTISEMENT

Barta Didn't Agree With "Tactics" Used

He politely threw Warren and the other school presidents under the bus for giving up too soon on the season when they could of started 9/5 or pushed the start back to October. What a bunch of chicken sh$&s to just call it quits with so much on the line - jobs, sports - scholarships and coaches soon to be out of work, and the local economies that will be devastated by these lost games on campus.

Wow needing a 75 million dollar loan that's going to take 15 years to pay back.

“We need to get back to playing sports as quickly as possible”=“we need cash”

I think maybe this will be great, it might be time to put the “student” back in student athlete. Maybe coaches shouldn’t be paid 8 million a year? And maybe we don’t need that 100 million dollar football facility eh?

I have really soured on the whole thing over this...

I think maybe this will be great, it might be time to put the “student” back in student athlete. Maybe coaches shouldn’t be paid 8 million a year? And maybe we don’t need that 100 million dollar football facility eh?

You aren’t smart.

You've been cheering in glee ever since the season was cancelled.

Gained a lot of respect for Barta over this whole ordeal, the dude didn’t back down and isn’t afraid to call out others.

Me too. Iowa has handled this tactfully but assertively. Something tells me we will see more official push back maybe not as polite as the way Iowa has responded. I saw a report on the other site today that the presidents didn't actually vote as the conference likes to do things 14-0 and discuss things through until they reach agreement. Warren simply strong armed the presidents into agreeing to cancelling.

LOL. I would have loved to see the reaction from the university and folks like you had the university been stockpiling cash for a rainy day for the past 10 years. Hint: they wouldn't have been allowed to. The UI would have clamored to funnel that money back into other programs at the school.

University athletic departments are non-profits, they are going to push the money they take in back into their programs. No business survives going from $100M+ in annual revenue to zero, literally overnight. Not just a drop. But all the way to zero.

LOL. I would have loved to see the reaction from the university and folks like you had the university been stockpiling cash for a rainy day for the past 10 years. Hint: they wouldn't have been allowed to. The UI would have clamored to funnel that money back into other programs at the school.

University athletic departments are non-profits, they are going to push the money they take in back into their programs. No business survives going from $100M+ in annual revenue to zero, literally overnight. Not just a drop. But all the way to zero.

As long as we have winter sports and March Madness, they will not be at zero. If those are pulled off the table by Mr Warren with no input from University leadership, I am very concerned that could happen, leading to further damage to the B1G athletic departments.

They really screwed up canceling football and losing that tv money they would of gotten to soften the blow of no gate and concessions revenue.

Yep. When the BTN plugged the plug and went dark, that monthly revenue from the millions of cable/satellite subscribers dried up. And everyone stopped buying officially licensed University of Iowa athletic gear so the athletic department no longer receives any royalties.

Financial hit? Yes.
Huge hit? Absolutely.
Will UI athletics survive? Without question.

Don't believe me? Ask the underwriters of the $75M loan.

Reactions: pahawk68

the AD did have reserve funds but they were also actually paying the tuition and fees for the scholarship players my understanding is that some schools don’t do that but may be wrong.
Also President Harold asked the AD to move funds to support the uacademics and they did. Not sure how much Many posters on here were critical of that demand

I am still amazed that Presidents and Warren decided to cancel and lose all the potential revenue. Barta on target with wanting to delay and see what happens

Reactions: pahawk68
Wow needing a 75 million dollar loan that's going to take 15 years to pay back.

That's what they should have looked at if legal and approved. Issue some 20 year bonds with a decent interest rate. Would have been snapped up.

So you would regularly attend intramural flag football games?

So you would regularly attend intramural flag football games?
Well I assume you watched College football before the coaches were making generational wealth and the locker rooms were more like high tech clubs?

I’m just saying we sure used to play without all the fancy expensive stuff, maybe it’s time we get back to that. If you want the flash, there’s always the NFL.

The AD
Yep. When the BTN plugged the plug and went dark, that monthly revenue from the millions of cable/satellite subscribers dried up. And everyone stopped buying officially licensed University of Iowa athletic gear so the athletic department no longer receives any royalties.

Financial hit? Yes.
Huge hit? Absolutely.
Will UI athletics survive? Without question.

Don't believe me? Ask the underwriters of the $75M loan.
The AD of each respective school need to assertive and very vocal. Local business owners and leaders need to come down on the BIG Presidents and Warren in a big way.

Its interesting. CUSA is still planning on playing. The president of my employers nephew is the kicker for MTSU. As you might remember they played at Iowa last year and Iowa won 48-3. The only score for MTSU was the field goal by the nephew. They are supposed to play at Rice this year. If Rice actually has games probably will go. No problem social distancing there. Went to a game last year. The upper decks of Rice stadium probably hold 9K each. I counted 50 people sitting there. CUSA has postponed other team sports till spring.

Barta certainly is one to talk. After all, he's shown us and the courts what a brilliant administrator and decision-maker he is. How many millions has he cost the university all by himself?

Maybe he should figure out how the hell to do his own job before he tries to play Big Ten commissioner. Just a thought. IMHO, of course.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
Barta certainly is one to talk. After all, he's shown us and the courts what a brilliant administrator and decision-maker he is. How many millions has he cost the university all by himself?

Maybe he should figure out how the hell to do his own job before he tries to play Big Ten commissioner. Just a thought. IMHO, of course.

And how many millions has Barta brought in, or do you only count one side of the ledger based on your own feelings?

I think we all need a moment of silence. This post doesn't mention or blame Trump.....can we declare the crisis over? Miracles can occur!!!!!!

As long as we have winter sports and March Madness, they will not be at zero. If those are pulled off the table by Mr Warren with no input from University leadership, I am very concerned that could happen, leading to further damage to the B1G athletic departments.

They really screwed up canceling football and losing that tv money they would of gotten to soften the blow of no gate and concessions revenue.

They have been at zero since last spring. The cancellation of the NCAA basketball tournament meant no money from that to NCAA schools. So they were already in a pinch. Now there is the loss of the normal football ticket revenue and projected additional funds from televising games this fall. Yes, if basketball gets played and football does get played in January, there will be some revenue. But still zero or limited revenue from tickets, plus additional costs for all the testing and if basketball or football goes to a bubble model, there are additional costs for that. No revenue from concessions at any home sporting events, and so on.

I really hope that Big 12, ACC and SEC are able to play football. If so, it will knock down all remaining impediments to the Big 10 getting back to semi-normal.

And will wonder why all the businesses and restaurants will be gone when they want to shop or get something to eat.

Yeah man why can't people just shut their businesses for 12 months and chill. You can come right back to it. That's how dumb some people are.

Gained a lot of respect for Barta over this whole ordeal, the dude didn’t back down and isn’t afraid to call out others.
You know, I have bashed GB plenty over the years in spite of him being such a nice guy the half dozen times I've talked with him. But this was a good moment for him and I do think he fought hard behind the scenes. Good on Gary.

Yeah man why can't people just shut their businesses for 12 months and chill. You can come right back to it. That's how dumb some people are.
Which is why the 'we're in this together, stay at home' campaign ticked me off. While the virus did not financially impact me, it sure did to a lot of loved ones and to hear them struggle was hard to hear.

Which is why the 'we're in this together, stay at home' campaign ticked me off. While the virus did not financially impact me, it sure did to a lot of loved ones and to hear them struggle was hard to hear.

Yes if I never hear that again it will be too soon. Easy to say "we're all in it together" when you have a job where the paychecks keep rolling in and you are wealthy enough to get all your food and necessities delivered. All the while everyone with the paychecks continuing to show up in their checking accounts get to make the decisions to end the way of life for everyone else. Sickening. Just sickening.

Reactions: pahawk68 and Arbor1
Yes if I never hear that again it will be too soon. Easy to say "we're all in it together" when you have a job where the paychecks keep rolling in and you are wealthy enough to get all your food and necessities delivered. All the while everyone with the paychecks continuing to show up in their checking accounts get to make the decisions to end the way of life for everyone else. Sickening. Just sickening.
The best way to end this is simple! If 30,000 to 50,000 students can go back to school, just shut all the campuses down! If the virus is that dangerous/ deadly close them down! Many/ most businesses have had to furlough/ lay-off their employees with NO paychecks! Since WEare all in this together, shut down the university’s! The Profs got full pay for last semester! Furlough all the profs, shut down the University. They can get the normal unemployment. Then, WE have the WE ARE ALL in this together! That’s fair! That may also move the needle forward on this. Just an option to ponder! I have to ask, and it’s never been answers: If the Coronavirus is that deadly, how can we allow 30-50 k students on campus??
Think about that. We seem to have no problem tanking out America and the economy, shutting down half the country. WE all need to pay the price! WE have learned what is ESSENTIAL and NON Essential the last 6 months. One semester, I guess is NON Essential! I’ve learned through all this.... I needed a plumber, electrician and a carpenter. My triple major, I guess , is non essential! Just an interesting concept to ponder during this crisis! Yes, I have Hawkeye season tickets ( more that 2). Yes, I fly out to 90% of the home games. I spend about load of$$$ to support my Hawks. Money well spent to see friends etc. The decision , or lack thereof, has consequences. The clock is running out! Maybe in OT already? Again, if it’s that dangerous, how can WS allow 30,000 on campus?? Simple, shit or get off the pot! If WEare ok with tanking outAmerica and the economy , then shut it all down. WE can rebuild America second semester! What’s a few thousand profs in the big picture?? Half of the country has gone broke and has no paychecks. A positive, it will give us more time to address our racial issues at Iowa and America.
Since I’m a former math teacher and coach, I can do some simple math! My daughter is a Radiologist. That takes 13 years after high school graduation. That’s 26 semesters! A 1 semester delay is nothing in the big picture of her education ! So, if the campus is shut down for one semester, not a big deal in the long run. Think about that??? Interesting???

Reactions: 83Hawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT