ADVERTISEMENT

Barta, in attempt to slow down the NIL deals, is advocating for the NCAA to repeal the one-time transfer rule that it installed 13 months ago

Iowa officials did not say that, it was an assumption made by JBo (who's not exactly neutral on the issue).

The same article also says the only Big Ten school to release their NIL data so far has been OSU, who already has a marked advantage over the rest of the conference in that aspect.

Are the B1G schools' hands tied because of guidance coming down from Kevin Warren, Gene Smith, etc?

Granted, someone mentioned that Nebby signed a football transfer for a lot of NIL money, so who knows what the hell is going on. At the same time, Nebby doesn't seem to like to listen to the B1G.

Are the B1G schools' hands tied because of guidance coming down from Kevin Warren, Gene Smith, etc?

Granted, someone mentioned that Nebby signed a football transfer for a lot of NIL money, so who knows what the hell is going on. At the same time, Nebby doesn't seem to like to listen to the B1G.
That's the irony of the whole situation. Kevin Warren, Gene Smith, Gary Barta, and others with NCAA influence, all complain about a situation they created. They changed the Portal rules!

That said, they're all playing the NIL Game within the B1G, osu, and Iowa. They don't like it, they can't control it, but they have no choice but to play the NIL Game. However, they do have a choice to shut up about what they created, and are now crying about. Pathetic.

If Barta really wants to slow down NIL recruiting — and cause a stir — he should call for a return to freshman ineligibility. ;)
If they want to maintain the appearance of "student/athletes" that's actually not a terrible idea even if it was sarcastic to begin with. Would weed out the people using college sports as a training camp while "attending" UNC level classes.

That's the irony of the whole situation. Kevin Warren, Gene Smith, Gary Barta, and others with NCAA influence, all complain about a situation they created. They changed the Portal rules!

That said, they're all playing the NIL Game within the B1G, osu, and Iowa. They don't like it, they can't control it, but they have no choice but to play the NIL Game. However, they do have a choice to shut up about what they created, and are now crying about. Pathetic.

What’s frustrating is you’re so right about the current situation being largely self-inflicted. We argued last week whether this was avoidable or not ahead of time, well unfortunately we will never know because the NCAA never even tried to find a middle ground that would have worked for everyone.

Now, belatedly, they realize the engineer jumped off the train and no one is in control now. Whether this is the situation permanently or whether there’s some way to rein this in somehow is anyones guess at this point.

For my money (pun intended), I think their focus should be looking to see if they can regulate the tampering we’re seeing now. Once a player commits or signs with a school, I have no issue with the NIL process from there. J I’m would look for ways to penalize the school/NIL groups if there’s contact with a player prior to that.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
I respectfully disagree….. I think most people expected the mess NIL would create…. in fact it almost seems like the NCAA wanted it to be a mess
Mark Emmert will be remembered as the worst president in NCAA history. For at least the last four years he has been preoccupied with finger plugging leaks while flood waters rose on the other side of the dam. Unsurprisingly, he resigned as soon as the wall came down. Stay tuned for Emmert's future memoir which explains that these events were totally unpredictable and none of this is his fault.

Mark Emmert will be remembered as the worst president in NCAA history. For at least the last four years he has been preoccupied with finger plugging leaks while flood waters rose on the other side of the dam. Unsurprisingly, he resigned as soon as the wall came down. Stay tuned for Emmert's future memoir which explains that these events were totally unpredictable and none of this is his fault.

He didn’t even do that. He actively plugged his fingers in his ears and pretending all was well.

He may well be the man we can point to as beginning the end of the NCAA.

Reactions: natchrlman
I have seen some argue that these NIL deals are going to create more parity. They argue that Texas A&M, with all the 5 stars they signed, should be a threat to Alabama & be a CFP contender now. Saban can't be happy. Miami (FL) appears to have the money to sign players, too. They might finally be able to challenge Clemson in the ACC. Dabo Swinney can't be happy about that.

Lots of thoughts & opinions on all of this, that's for sure.
I personally think these mega NIL deals are just going to create more space between the blue bloods and the rest of the NCAA. I know this, they better nip it in the bud sooner then later or it will be too late.

You can't treat athletes any different than regular students. This statement has no chance of passing and even the new NIL "guidelines" are guaranteed to get a legal challenge if they ever decide to try to enforce them.

The solution here is either get on board with NIL and ride the waves, or let the NCAA simply deregulate on athlete compensation altogether so that colleges (or conferences) can sign athletes to an employment contract.

The supreme court was crystal clear on these issues in their last ruling (9-0) and basically said they would treat the NCAA as an illegal cartel if compensation was limited. Taking away the ability to transfer would definitely cause financial damages to athletes even if Gary Barta didn't just go and provide his state of mind and reasoning, which an attorney would definitely use to show this was an intentional restraint on trade.

As forward thinking as the B1G is when it comes to shrewdly negotiating media rights and other business deals, their leadership continues to miss the mark when it comes to innovating and competing in this space. Iowa and other B1G schools desperately need new leaders in athletics.

It's fun watching the NCAA squirm.

They're terrified of getting sued, and if they do anything they'll get sued.

All smack, no action.

I don’t disagree with what Barta is saying, I would personally like to see a return to the “old days” of transferring (or something resembling it).

But coming from him, oh boy, that’s rich.

I don’t disagree with what Barta is saying, I would personally like to see a return to the “old days” of transferring (or something resembling it).

But coming from him, oh boy, that’s rich.

The disagreement I had with the old transfer rules is that coaches could leave whenever they wanted but you made players sit a year. And considering their limited opportunities to make money in the nfl if they were good, making them lose a year could be crippling.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
You can't treat athletes any different than regular students. This statement has no chance of passing and even the new NIL "guidelines" are guaranteed to get a legal challenge if they ever decide to try to enforce them.

The solution here is either get on board with NIL and ride the waves, or let the NCAA simply deregulate on athlete compensation altogether so that colleges (or conferences) can sign athletes to an employment contract.

The supreme court was crystal clear on these issues in their last ruling (9-0) and basically said they would treat the NCAA as an illegal cartel if compensation was limited. Taking away the ability to transfer would definitely cause financial damages to athletes even if Gary Barta didn't just go and provide his state of mind and reasoning, which an attorney would definitely use to show this was an intentional restraint on trade.

As forward thinking as the B1G is when it comes to shrewdly negotiating media rights and other business deals, their leadership continues to miss the mark when it comes to innovating and competing in this space. Iowa and other B1G schools desperately need new leaders in athletics.
Totally agree.

This is a truly terrible idea that I doubt goes anywhere.

Only thing I’ll say in his defense is that I don’t think anyone really expected the NIL stuff to explode the way it has.
I am about as far from a Barta fan as you can get, but I don't think it's a bad idea at all. The ability to avoid a sit-out year is a huge incentive to transfer.

I personally think these mega NIL deals are just going to create more space between the blue bloods and the rest of the NCAA. I know this, they better nip it in the bud sooner then later or it will be too late.
I expect to see a greater division between the big schools who will pay big nil money and "the rest".
The schools who are looking for national championships will pay the nil monies. That is how they define their success. At most other schools success as defined by the majority of their fans is anywhere between a winning season and winning a conference championship.
Tampering will be a way of life with nobody to enforce it. Certainly.not the NCAA.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
Yes, there should be a cap on what college students can make from NIL, and how it is distributed and obtained and by whom can offer them to eligible student-athletes.

Remember these are "young adults" going to college to learn how to become "professionals" at whatever it is they want to work towards........

If anyone has a problem with that, I don't give a single, solitary f***. :D

I expected the Wild West. This is several orders beyond that.
And that's why it's okay to start telling these kids 'no' again, and if anyone has a problem with that they can deal with it.

It never became wrong to tell them no. They just finally found the right people that would cave in and give them what they wanted, and would then pretend like they washed their hands of it (they being the NCAA and anyone else responsible for allowing the NIL to even become a reality in the first place).

And that's why it's okay to start telling these kids 'no' again, and if anyone has a problem with that they can deal with it.

It never became wrong to tell them no. They just finally found the right people that would cave in and give them what they wanted, and would then pretend like they washed their hands of it (they being the NCAA and anyone else responsible for allowing the NIL to even become a reality in the first place).
The problem I always had with the transfer rule is that coaches could leave whenever they wanted but players were held to a different standard.

Yes, there should be a cap on what college students can make from NIL, and how it is distributed and obtained and by whom can offer them to eligible student-athletes.

Remember these are "young adults" going to college to learn how to become "professionals" at whatever it is they want to work towards........

If anyone has a problem with that, I don't give a single, solitary f***. :D
Every other student can go out and work, plus earn money

Every other student can go out and work, plus earn money
How many of them had "boosters" illegally pay them money to get them to come work for a certain company over another company that offered them the same job so that that company could have a better chance to be successful and to keep their rival company down?..................My guess would be lots and lots............................amirite?

Don't f***ing cheat in the first place decades and decades ago and it wouldn't have been ruined for everyone else in the future.

:D

P.S. I could make a nice long serious counterargument to what "every other student" can do compared to college athletes, if I really wanted to...................key word being want.

This is a truly terrible idea that I doubt goes anywhere.

Only thing I’ll say in his defense is that I don’t think anyone really expected the NIL stuff to explode the way it has.
Terrible to think adults should have a penalty for not honoring their commitment?

Meh....

I don’t necessarily agree with him, but Barta is taking a position that benefits Iowa. The reality is that Iowa’s best players on the field in most sports are developed - they aren’t 5 star athletes coming in. It’s incredibly disadvantageous to Iowa to develop good players only to lose them. Right or wrong, Barta is just doing what he is paid to do, which is what’s best for Iowa athletics.
Maybe he should get working on our nil program....

We are gonna fall behind FAST

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
You don’t see the contradiction between coaches getting to leave whenever they want vs players being forced to sit out a year when transferring?
Coaches can also be fired any time. Once scholarships can get dropped any time for subpar performance, then that's comparable....

When have iowa football players lost their scholly for poor performance? Name the most recent ones
Look at all the guys from Iowa who went into the portal and came out without a scholarship. How do you think the year end meetings for the players go. If you are in your 3rd or 4th year and not playing you sort of get encouraged to leave and if you don’t they will try and make you quit.

How many of them had "boosters" illegally pay them money to get them to come work for a certain company over another company that offered them the same job so that that company could have a better chance to be successful and to keep their rival company down?..................My guess would be lots and lots............................amirite?

Don't f***ing cheat in the first place decades and decades ago and it wouldn't have been ruined for everyone else in the future.

:D

P.S. I could make a nice long serious counterargument to what "every other student" can do compared to college athletes, if I really wanted to...................key word being want.
Maybe it's the kid, not the Booster, reaching out:

"I don't believe there's as much tampering as people think," he said. "There are kids who grow up thinking 'if it doesn't work out here, I should go somewhere else.' Tampering comes from the player searching somewhere else, not from a coach reaching out. Look, I've had kids reach out to me from other programs and call and say things, and you can't talk to them. I know it happens from our place out and from other places. I don't worry as much about tampering as I do about: are we doing the right thing for the kids when they have adversity or things are tough?" ~ Kirby Smart

Totally unregulated sh!tshow.

Look at all the guys from Iowa who went into the portal and came out without a scholarship. How do you think the year end meetings for the players go. If you are in your 3rd or 4th year and not playing you sort of get encouraged to leave and if you don’t they will try and make you quit.
Nowhere near the same thing...

Kids don't get "cut" - its actually not legal to do that in the P5 for like a decade. You can be encouraged to leave - you don't HAVE to.

In regards to sitting out a year. It's sounds good but all that will do is force this further back to HS recruiting. All the deals will be done then while they are in HS - some already are but the portal would be less of a thing.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Yes it is. If you want a name Connor Kornbrath was cut his last year he talked about the situation on WUW. It happens all the time in Baseball to since there are limited scholarships.
Senior punter Connor Kornbrath, however, will not compete this year. After spring drills, Kornbrath appeared to be third in line behind fellow seniors Dillon Kidd and Marshall Koehn, who also serves as the place-kicker.
Kornbrath (6-6, 242) punted 136 times in his Iowa career for a 38.8 yard-per-punt average and kicked 37 inside the 20-yard line.
"Connor's probably going to end up taking this year off and going to school," Ferentz said. "He's still on scholarship and one of the 85 (scholarship players)."

Wrong

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT