ADVERTISEMENT

Barta ultimatum to Kirk at season's end.

Dirk_Diggler

HR All-American
Jan 17, 2002
While I agree that making any changes at this juncture does little to move the team forward, at season's end, Gary needs to grow a set and tell Kirk this is what is going to happen.
I can only imaging the calls/emails Gary is getting from fans/boosters with 'Ferentz Fatigue'.
The huge buyout (almost unbelievable) means Kirk cannot be let go (Nor he should be). He has accomplished so much and the next 3 months are huge to cementing his legacy as Iowa's greatest coach ever.
At seasons end:
-Gary advises Kirk that Brian should be demoted back to a positions coach, advisor or maybe its best he moves on from Iowa to build back his reputation which provides him an opportunity to extend his coaching future.
-Iowa needs to modernize its offense, bringing in an outside set of 'fresh ideas'. Leveraging Iowa's current roster strength year 1 and building upon this via the recruiting and transfer portal process.
-Embrace the Transfer Portal. Whether you like it or not, its here to stay. You need to be active, or be left behind.
-Push the NIL (Swarm Collective) to recruits. Again, like it or not, its here to stay. While I think additional guard rails are needed, this needs to be sold as part of the overall 'Come to Iowa' package.

-If Kirk does not agree to the above, I would advise him that 'You are not going to be fired', but this is where we are going'. You can either adapt or the door is open for you to move on into retirement gracefully. Remember, Brian reports to me and I am making this decision. Offer a buyout?

The next 3-months are pivotal to the future of Iowa Football. Remember, have your voice be heard!

Last edited:
I agree.

Nothing is actually going to happen. As soon as one domino falls they all fall so they use a system of all pointing at each other to divide blame enough to not make q change. Barta isn't going to do shit because the next person out of the door is him when his inability to actually perform his job is under the light. Barta talks to KF, KF talks to BF they all keep cashing checks.

Example : "it isn't the QB it's the line, it isn't the line it's the call, it isn't the call it's the QB and every gets so caught up in the Symantecs nothing changes, meanwhile anyone with a brain can say it ducks and something needs to change

Hmmm … this sounds familiar. ;)

I wouldn’t fire Kirk.

But I would tell him:
  • You must fire Brian.
  • You must evolve your offensive scheme, giving more control to your new OC.
  • You must embrace the transfer portal.
  • You must embrace NIL.
If any of that sounds like something Kirk, who will be 68 before next season, doesn't want to deal with, we would be happy to negotiate terms of a separation.

Any attempt by Barta to force KF's hand is going to horribly backfire. I keep seeing suggestions Barta force KF to fire Brian. Ok, t hen what? KF will roll in another semi-retired Greg Davis-type to run the same stuff and come back w/ "see I told you so response".

KF (and co) have promised modernized concepts, hurry up, spread, wildcat (whatever the soup de jour) is at the time for years - only to continue running the same (basically) offense for 20+ years.....

Suggestions that Barta have any control of what goes on in the FB program are laughable.....

Unless Kirk can get Brian a different coaching gig, there's ZERO chance he gets fired. ZERO.

Demoted maybe, but certainly not fired.

Reactions: Gary.scotty
------The huge buyout (almost unbelievable) means Kirk cannot be let go (Nor he should be). He has accomplished so much and the next 3 months are huge to cementing his legacy as Iowa's greatest coach ever.

Really??? Its waaaaay more about longevity than any greatness!!! .580% in-conference winning percentage....West Division opponents...yawn....terrible non-conference schedule every single year of his tenure, so he can lock up his yearly bonus....smoke and mirror seasons garnering long and needless extensions followed by collapses.....2015 Regular Season followed by losing 4 of the next 7......2021 Regular Season followed by losing 6 of the next 9....pffffffttttt!!! This thin skinned, stubborn and selfish jerk is nothing more than the longest tenured coach ever. But the greatest? By default maybe. But, that shouldn't get you a f'n statue in close proximity to a War Hero.

I’m still not sure we need to “modernize” the offense.

Don’t we just need better O players?

Football is the Iowa athletic department gravy train.

We just sold out an entire season and have huge TV money coming in. Nothing is going to change until that does.
how many schools dont have football as the "gravy train"

how many b1g teams get less tv money than we do? ;)

yes tix sold well this year. people aren't as clueless now.....

We just sold out an entire season and have huge TV money coming in. Nothing is going to change until that does.
If GB and KF are trying to go from the first sold out season in years and years to the lowest average attendance in years and years in just one 12-15-month period, they are doing everything exactly right...

Any attempt by Barta to force KF's hand is going to horribly backfire. I keep seeing suggestions Barta force KF to fire Brian. Ok, t hen what? KF will roll in another semi-retired Greg Davis-type to run the same stuff and come back w/ "see I told you so response".

KF (and co) have promised modernized concepts, hurry up, spread, wildcat (whatever the soup de jour) is at the time for years - only to continue running the same (basically) offense for 20+ years.....

Suggestions that Barta have any control of what goes on in the FB program are laughable.....
But I mean whomever is offensive coordinator next season will do better, you can’t get much worse than top 5 historic bad offensively.

(Chuckles) Son, you must be new around here, aren’t ya?

Gary Barta makes Gordon Gee (the old chancellor of Ohio State that famously told the press that he hoped head football coach Jim Tressel wouldn’t fire him) look like Gordon Gekko.

Kirk is never going to change for Iowa football. And unless Gary grows a pair in the next few weeks, we’re going to be stuck with his son at offensive coordinator for another season. He all but told us that would be the case when he told the media that Kirk was Brian’s boss.

Who Kirk has start at QB this week will be very telling. If it's Petras nothing will change. If it's someone else maybe there will be some changes.

Oh, I think a half empty Kinnick will raise some eyebrows from the IC Chamber of Commerce and associated entities that benefit from a football Saturday.

Wrong.

If this were the case, why would Wisconsin move to remove a highly successful HC in Paul Chryst just weeks ago? They had even more reason to just stand pat than Iowa does.

So many of you have such small vision by thinking ticket sales in 2021 and the big TV contract are just a cure all. But since you did bring up season ticket sales, you think they remain totally sold out next year after the furor many have about this year.....plus the fact Iowa State, Michigan, and Wisconsin won't be on next year's hoe schedule?

Wrong.

If this were the case, why would Wisconsin move to remove a highly successful HC in Paul Chryst just weeks ago? They had even more reason to just stand pat than Iowa does.

So many of you have such small vision by thinking ticket sales in 2021 and the big TV contract are just a cure all. But since you did bring up season ticket sales, you think they remain totally sold out next year after the furor many have about this year.....plus the fact Iowa State, Michigan, and Wisconsin won't be on next year's hoe schedule?
We're not Wisconsin. Not even close.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Brian will be let go at the end of this season. Should have been Monday, but that is not Kirks way... Brian will be coaching an NFL offensive line next year.

Brian will be let go at the end of this season. Should have been Monday, but that is not Kirks way... Brian will be coaching an NFL offensive line next year.
I’ll take that bet.

He will be Iowas OC again next year whether you or I like it or not.

Barta: "I demand that you <insert ultimatum here> or else"
Kirk: "What are you gonna do if I don't? Fire me and pay me $42 Million? Yeah, that's what I thought"

Or something like that. Barta has no leverage here to strong arm Kirk into anything, unless I'm missing something. Not that Barta seems to have any desire to make any ultimatums. He seems like KF's lap dog.

Would it be possible to enforce the search and hiring guidelines 8n football, as in the academic departments?

ADVERTISEMENT