ADVERTISEMENT

Barta

You think this guy "sells the sizzle"?

iu
Get your teeth fixed Gary. You should be able to afford that.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
You want an AD that would demand results!!!! An AD that would not hesitate for change within the athletic department.

Petition for DAN GABLE to run the athletic department.

You would see heads roll if he was hired.
Gable was asked about his interest in being the AD after either Bump retired or when Bowlsby left; I think it was after Bowlsby left.

Anyways, he says then that he didn’t have a desire because nobody would ever want to when for him be star he’d always demand national championships in all sports.

Gable never struck me as a guy who had any desire to get wrapped up on being an administrator. I feel the exact same about Ferentz.

Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen one post on Barta being held accountable for this shit show. Everyone is blaming Kirk, Brian and the entire offense and rightfully so, but Barta handed out these horseshit contracts like candy whenever we won 8 games. He needs to be the first to go.
Brian Ferentz reports to Gary Barta. The only person who can fire Brian is Gary Barta per the shitty nepotism contract that was made at his hiring. Kirk in his press conference insinuating he had control over Brian's status as offensive coordinator actually violates contract and law. Kirk Ferentz is to have no say in his employment contract.

Reactions: frydaze
I know that reading a thread is difficult, but the question posted by the OP was when is Barta held accountable for this shit show.. Well Barta's job is to make money for the athletic department, that is exactly what he is doing. When it drops off, that's when you hold him accountable.
Shouldn't it also be to perform the basic administrative functions that come with the position, like personnel management, which has been at the heart of at least one significant lawsuit in which he was shown to be incompetent?
I won't even go into the ridiculous contract "negotiations" that have resulted in where they are at present with KF and Fran.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
Shouldn't it also be to perform the basic administrative functions that come with the position, like personnel management, which has been at the heart of at least one significant lawsuit in which he was shown to be incompetent?
I won't even go into the ridiculous contract "negotiations" that have resulted in where they are at present with KF and Fran.
Would you suggest that he hasn't done that? I find it to be rather concerning that many posters continue to point out litigation like it is a major player, while they are calling for Kirk to be fired (42 million following this year). Iowa is consistently one of 25 programs that makes money from there athletic department. So while I agree that Brian needs to go, Barnett needs to go, it is a bit of a stretch to call for Barta. I am not a fan of Gary Barta either, but I will say being an AD at a major institution is a thankless job.

No. While gable was a great coach, imho he would not be a good athletic director. Not much Of a personality. You’ve got to sell the sizzle also.
With Barta running the show the most "sizzle" Iowa fans have been treated to was that white hot scandal over whether or not to paint a Tigerhawk on the field.

the big ten schedule has yet to be announced.
I don’t know what major changes you’re expecting, but I anticipate that the opponents will be exactly the same with maybe some shuffled dates. At the very least we know that we won’t have Iowa State Wisconsin or Nebraska. Very little reason to think that Michigan State or Rutgers will be replaced with Michigan, Ohio State or Penn State. Crappy schedule.

I don’t know what major changes you’re expecting, but I anticipate that the opponents will be exactly the same with maybe some shuffled dates. At the very least we know that we won’t have Iowa State Wisconsin or Nebraska. Very little reason to think that Michigan State or Rutgers will be replaced with Michigan, Ohio State or Penn State. Crappy schedule.
The general point is not to speak out of your ass, which for some here is rather difficult.

Reactions: Frosty7130
No, but gable is worse. I’ve heard him speak and it’s not a strength.
No doubt, he's a coach first and foremost. I don't think Gable is necessarily a good choice either (and he's 73). AD is an administrative position but you have to be business savvy and Barta isn't. He's the perfect compliment to (or for) KFz. But them both at a poker table and you could clean 'em out.

Reactions: dekhawk
One word will do..........CONSISTANCY.

Yes, our men's and women's programs are all having good years.
But, can they maintain staying at the top of the mountain????

There is no reason why after 23 years of Kirk Ferentz that we can't be a top 20 or better program year in and year out with the stability within our program.
You can’t be a Top 20 program if you can’t score.

You do realize football is not the only sport the AD oversees? Brian absolutely needs to be gone, but the athletic department looks more than solid. Baseball is finally where it should be, the Heller hire was a great call. Women's basketball picked #1 preseason, men's basketballl should be decent with another NBA pick or two. Football having a down year after more than 3 years. Hell the field hockey team is one fun watch and a national title contender. None of this is to mention the new facilities for wrestling. I don't know what more people want at this point.
not to be dead last in the nation in offense

Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen one post on Barta being held accountable for this shit show. Everyone is blaming Kirk, Brian and the entire offense and rightfully so, but Barta handed out these horseshit contracts like candy whenever we won 8 games. He needs to be the first to go.
Isn't the position of "Player Development " currently being held by Kirk's Son in Law? If that's the case I have a few questions for him.

ADVERTISEMENT