ADVERTISEMENT

Bartlett

Who's trashing Gulibon? Just people pointing out Cory passed him up and became a much better wrestler.

I admit "trashing" was a bit harsh. I'm just of the opinion that Guilibon would have had a much better career had he remained at 133. He was often out horsed at 141. I usually favor the wrestler who is more of a mat wrestler vs a takedown guy. Have never heard that Jimmy and Jordan had a wrestle off or if he was unable to maintain 133.

I have to hand it to Cory.....he was tough on top and gutsy to wrestle with the shoulder problem!

@rassling : If you really want to figure out the real-life identity of @Iowabandwagon, he left some nice clues for you. They're hidden among a lot of text, but I'll decode it for you . . .

. . . I just wasn’t impressed with marsteller in high school. At least not as impressed as most . . .

. . . ACTUAL wrestling experience. 4 years in college, dildo.

. . .They’re sarcastic and usually inflammatory like your bowels. . . .

Figured it out, yet?

01252014_iowawrestlingvsminnesota_mike-evans-013.jpg

;)

@rassling : If you really want to figure out the real-life identity of @Iowabandwagon, he left some nice clues for you. They're hidden among a lot of text, but I'll decode it for you . . .

Figured it out, yet?

01252014_iowawrestlingvsminnesota_mike-evans-013.jpg

;)
This made me laugh out loud, literally. Good job. And I was just about to post the chance vs weircioch video I found but have decided not to after seeing this. My goodness I’m crying.

Willie was nationally ranked, placed in the PIAA state tournament, placed a couple times at the Reno Tournament of Champions and was the National Wrestling Media Association Journalist of the Year (2012). I'm excited to hear about your wrestling experience and accolades!

What is interesting (at least to me) to note is that iowabandwagon wrestled for one of the historically elite high school wrestling teams in Western PA and Willie wrestled for one of the historically elite high school teams in Eastern PA.

I value both of their opinions.

Reactions: Iowabandwagon
What is interesting (at least to me) to note is that iowabandwagon wrestled for one of the historically elite high school wrestling teams in Western PA and Willie wrestled for one of the historically elite high school teams in Eastern PA.

I value both of their opinions.
I can appreciate it. I think Willie is good for the sport, overall. Correction, I think Flo is good for wrestling. And Willie is bad for Iowa wrestling and I hate that about him. He’s a two faced bastard when it comes to an Iowa wrestler and I live in PA. I have different views about certain wrestlers than he and Flo have, which is fine but there’s a one way street with old William (Wilbur, as my old friend would put it). Yes, I went back on bwi to find him. But yeah, whatever. I think Lee and Kolat would dismantle someone like wiercioch in high school. And so would the other greats. Old chance had plenty of fits with him and the kid was undersized. I’d value wilbur’s opinion if he had the nerve to list the 10 ahead of Gavin in PA high school wrestling. I’ll get a chuckle out of that.

Interesting...because just a few months ago, your coach was trying to get Mr. Character Issues to wrestle for him at 125. Hey...I get it: He wrestles for you, he's a troubled kid but Coach Cael is working with him to make him a better man. He wrestles for us, character issues with a low key insult for one of your former wrestlers. Nice.
At some point, a kid runs out of second, third, and even fourth chances, and it’s time to cut ties. These were the kind of second chances that have made Cael famous on this board. Looks like T&T are no different. They’re just as interested in giving a very troubled kid a fresh start. I hope it works out for the kid.

At some point, a kid runs out of second, third, and even fourth chances, and it’s time to cut ties. These were the kind of second chances that have made Cael famous on this board. Looks like T&T are no different. They’re just as interested in giving a very troubled kid a fresh start. I hope it works out for the kid.

They may appear similar on the surface. Some on this board may be willing to share what some of the behind the scenes differences are.

Reactions: DirkTang1
Yeah...perhaps. I go with what I actually see on the mat. Sometimes even in a loss, I think that wrestler is better. Take the pico vs heil match...pico was better. There was a lot of hype surrounding chance in high school. And a lot following Gavin until he lost. I just wasn’t impressed with marsteller in high school. At least not as impressed as most. And maybe I’m a tad biased in that overall, I believe the southwestern pa wrestlers are better. I have a feeling mvattivo and possible a few others of you aren’t from SW PA. Am I right? Haha.

I'm not from SW. I currently live in SC, but, grew up wrestling in the NW.

Also, with all due respect, I think we all go with what we see on the mat, we might just come to different conclusions based on what we see, which is fine.

Last edited:
That’s blasphemy to compare chance to Lee...lol.
Not really during high school. Chance was ranked ahead of Snyder as the #1 P4P kid in the country in most rankings until Snyder won Jr. Worlds at the end of their careers. People have forgotten how hyped Marsteller was. One of the biggest recruits in history. There were 4x NCAA champ talks after his freshman year of high school and they seemed completely reasonable at the time. He was reportedly beating senior level athletes at the OTC as well. I think there is a video of him beating Boris Novachkov as a high school sophomore on youtube somewhere still.Things just fell apart for him at Ok. State and he never fully recovered, but was still elite at the end of the career as his dominant win over Marinelli showed.

Reactions: Ski and papride1
I know it’s just an opinion but how did you come to that one? Mars teller had his fair share of issues (quite a bit more) but was still a contender the past few years. And in my opinion, GT has more talent than chance did in high school. I think it’s more of a wait and see but if you look at the kid’s body of work, he outclassed almost everyone and was never outclassed by anyone. He took a couple losses he probably wouldn’t have if he had his tuff together senior year but it doesn’t mean he can’t turn it around. I have a feeling he’s going to surprise a lot of people. And for the record, my feelings on here have been spot on. Even if he never contends, I hope he succeeds in whatever he decides to do.

Teasdale is not even in that conversation. He took multiple losses as a senior, including to someone who wasn't even ranked. I'm not sure he finished as a top 15 recruit in his class, let alone in the conversation as one of the biggest recruits in history like Marsteller. Outside of the Weircioch match (who was a huge recruit in his own right), Marsteller yawned his way through high school competition. You say Gavin had better competition, but did he really? Outside of the freshman year all star match with RBY, who did he beat? He lost to Decatur, who has never placed higher than 4th at ironman I believe. Marsteller beat beat guys like Brian Brill (beat Nickal in a wrestle off at Penn State and was ranked highly nationally) and Peppleman (I think he was ranked #1 as a senior) in his state tournaments. Did Teasedale have anybody of that calibur in his brackets? I know he wrestled in the little school division.

I admit "trashing" was a bit harsh. I'm just of the opinion that Guilibon would have had a much better career had he remained at 133. He was often out horsed at 141. I usually favor the wrestler who is more of a mat wrestler vs a takedown guy. Have never heard that Jimmy and Jordan had a wrestle off or if he was unable to maintain 133.

I have to hand it to Cory.....he was tough on top and gutsy to wrestle with the shoulder problem!

This is almost certainly true. He was actually really good at 133, taking 5th as a sophomore. He beat Clark in the dual and the semi match was super tight too. Completely controlled #2 seed Taylor, who had been amazing all year, in the quarters to get there. He probably would have been a high AA contender the next year right along with Clark with an outside shot at a title.

He was never effective, relatively speaking, at 141. He wrestled at his sub-optimal weight for the team and it cost him personal accolades. You can't hold that against him.

Teasdale is not even in that conversation. He took multiple losses as a senior, including to someone who wasn't even ranked. I'm not sure he finished as a top 15 recruit in his class, let alone in the conversation as one of the biggest recruits in history like Marsteller. Outside of the Weircioch match (who was a huge recruit in his own right), Marsteller yawned his way through high school competition. You say Gavin had better competition, but did he really? Outside of the freshman year all star match with RBY, who did he beat? He lost to Decatur, who has never placed higher than 4th at ironman I believe. Marsteller beat beat guys like Brian Brill (beat Nickal in a wrestle off at Penn State and was ranked highly nationally) and Peppleman (I think he was ranked #1 as a senior) in his state tournaments. Did Teasedale have anybody of that calibur in his brackets? I know he wrestled in the little school division.

My memory could be wrong here, but I think Teasdale as a sophmore in HS beat OSU's Piccininni and then took Daton Fix to the wire. I think tose two matches indicate a pretty good upside.

Not really during high school. Chance was ranked ahead of Snyder as the #1 P4P kid in the country in most rankings until Snyder won Jr. Worlds at the end of their careers. People have forgotten how hyped Marsteller was. One of the biggest recruits in history. There were 4x NCAA champ talks after his freshman year of high school and they seemed completely reasonable at the time. He was reportedly beating senior level athletes at the OTC as well. I think there is a video of him beating Boris Novachkov as a high school sophomore on youtube somewhere still.Things just fell apart for him at Ok. State and he never fully recovered, but was still elite at the end of the career as his dominant win over Marinelli showed.
Yes, yes, yes. You must’ve missed the ...lol part of my post but if you want to haggle, we can. Spencer Lee mauled everybody before tearing his acl, not only in PA, but at iron man , super 32 and at worlds...3 times. And we can talk about hearsay all day as I’ve heard Spencer was giving the blues to the senior level guys at the otc when he was a junior in high school and even prior. As far as novachkov goes, I’d have to see the video but I’m pretty sure chance was a sophomore when he wrestled the Cody boy...chance was great but he wasn’t winning world titles and destroying everybody. And sometimes (gullibon), rankings are wrong. They’re an opinion. And the Teasdale thing...I, personally, having watched both live multiple times, think Gavin was a better wrestler. Admittedly, I only got to see chance at states and against Cody. Saw much more of Gavin so maybe that has a little to do with it. Whatever. And how far back we going with teasedale? He beat a lot of great wrestlers in high school. I know beat Glory (also lost to him). I’ve watched him go live against Spencer Lee multiple times. Highly entertaining...I think, well no, I know now that chance was overrated. He messed up at ok st and lock haven but was glad he bounced back. He did beat the bull, great job. But he should’ve won at least one title as PA GOAT candidate. Time will tell what teasedale does. And I don’t put Gavin in the top 3 in PA history but top 10? Sure. Same with chance. And in no way am I saying that Gavin was head and shoulders better than chance. Slightly better, imo. Spencer Lee on the other hand, head and shoulders. Tis all.

Reactions: el dub
My memory could be wrong here, but I think Teasdale as a sophmore in HS beat OSU's Piccininni and then took Daton Fix to the wire. I think tose two matches indicate a pretty good upside.
And that was his peak unfortunately. I never said he wasn't talented, but by the end of his career expectations had fallen sharply. Much of the hype about teasdale was because many expected him to follow a similar trajectory in his junior and senior year as his predecessor elite recruits did and he just didn't.

For what it's worth, the Picc match was 10-0 on 3 head pinches, a move that doesn't score in folkstyle. It was Picc's first major freestyle tournament and he was also handily beaten by Austin Gomez in the same bracket. He also scored 3 of his 5 points on Fix with the same head pinch. At the trials later that summer, he was beaten by Assad in the semis. Assad got 10-0'd in the challenge finals by Gomez who in turn got 10-0'd twice by Fix in the best of 3. I think that was more indicative of where he was at that point, especially considering how the rest of his high school career panned out (losses to Decatur, Glory, Bartlett, and the kid from West Virginia). None of those losses are to bums, but when you compare his career to a guy like Chance (who's top knock in this thread was one close match to Weircioch in a #1 vs. #2 in the nation match, it doesn't compare. He was a great high school wrestler who has shown some flashes of brilliance, but has not reached the level many expected from him. I hope he can in the Iowa room.

You're right, they certainly do. Heck, Gavin teched Rayvon Foley just a year ago. Gavin showed tremendous upside, and in my book, he still has it.

But Chance was another level, every bit as hyped as Spencer and with similar expectations. Gavin is great, but every year there are guys like him. There aren't Chance or Spencer or Snyder-like guys every year.

Reactions: lookleft goright
And that was his peak unfortunately. I never said he wasn't talented, but by the end of his career expectations had fallen sharply. Much of the hype about teasdale was because many expected him to follow a similar trajectory in his junior and senior year as his predecessor elite recruits did and he just didn't.

For what it's worth, the Picc match was 10-0 on 3 head pinches, a move that doesn't score in folkstyle. It was Picc's first major freestyle tournament and he was also handily beaten by Austin Gomez in the same bracket. He also scored 3 of his 5 points on Fix with the same head pinch. At the trials later that summer, he was beaten by Assad in the semis. Assad got 10-0'd in the challenge finals by Gomez who in turn got 10-0'd twice by Fix in the best of 3. I think that was more indicative of where he was at that point, especially considering how the rest of his high school career panned out (losses to Decatur, Glory, Bartlett, and the kid from West Virginia). None of those losses are to bums, but when you compare his career to a guy like Chance (who's top knock in this thread was one close match to Weircioch in a #1 vs. #2 in the nation match, it doesn't compare. He was a great high school wrestler who has shown some flashes of brilliance, but has not reached the level many expected from him. I hope he can in the Iowa room.

You're the one that posted that Teasdale hasn't beaten anyone. I pointed out that he had. Tough crowd here.

Reactions: DirkTang1
I can appreciate it. I think Willie is good for the sport, overall. Correction, I think Flo is good for wrestling. And Willie is bad for Iowa wrestling and I hate that about him. He’s a two faced bastard when it comes to an Iowa wrestler and I live in PA. I have different views about certain wrestlers than he and Flo have, which is fine but there’s a one way street with old William (Wilbur, as my old friend would put it). Yes, I went back on bwi to find him. But yeah, whatever. I think Lee and Kolat would dismantle someone like wiercioch in high school. And so would the other greats. Old chance had plenty of fits with him and the kid was undersized. I’d value wilbur’s opinion if he had the nerve to list the 10 ahead of Gavin in PA high school wrestling. I’ll get a chuckle out of that.

Yeah, someone got owned. Good stuff.

Reactions: Iowabandwagon
how would you tech me, by calling my compliance office? :)

Gavin obviously very very good. Pa legend. Love the kid and his family and i tweeted that i loved the fit w/ him and iowa.

that being said - PA has a long long history of great talent. i mean there's typically a Top 5 ish guy nationally in every recruiting class. Gavin himself was just the 4th highest guy in his class (Sasso/Hoffman/Beard).

Was he a better prospect coming out than Cenzo or Kemerer? I don't think he was a better prospect than, say, Nico or Jeremy Hunter.

Maybe better than Darian Cruz (who i had concerns about size with)? Better than Quentin Wright (who won the Nittany Lion Open in hs) Ed Ruth/Garrett Scott/Mitchell Port/Nolf/Zain? These are all in the last 10ish years.

how would you tech me, by calling my compliance office? :)

Gavin obviously very very good. Pa legend. Love the kid and his family and i tweeted that i loved the fit w/ him and iowa.

that being said - PA has a long long history of great talent. i mean there's typically a Top 5 ish guy nationally in every recruiting class. Gavin himself was just the 4th highest guy in his class (Sasso/Hoffman/Beard).

Was he a better prospect coming out than Cenzo or Kemerer? I don't think he was a better prospect than, say, Nico or Jeremy Hunter.

Maybe better than Darian Cruz (who i had concerns about size with)? Better than Quentin Wright (who won the Nittany Lion Open in hs) Ed Ruth/Garrett Scott/Mitchell Port/Nolf/Zain? These are all in the last 10ish years.
Great post, agree with all of that.

My question to you is where would you have had him after his junior year? Was he ahead of Sasso, Hoffman, and Beard?

How many 3-4x champs has PA had? Do people consider a 3x AAA champ as somewhat comparable to a 4x AA champ in terms of HS accolades?

Not from PA but taking a quick glance at this link: http://www.piaa.org/assets/web/documents/results/winter/wrestling/ind/Ind_Wr_Past_Champs.pdf it does appear there have been quite a few 3x champs even in AAA in just the past 15 years or so

Marstellar - 4X AAA champ
Haines - 4X AAA champ
Gulibon - 2X AAA champ, 2x AA champ
Chlebove - 3X AAA champ and missed a year
Lee - 3X AAA champ
Pletcher - 3X AAA champ
Megaludis - 3X AAA champ
Dylan Alton - 3X AAA champ
Jordan Oliver - 3X AAA champ
Marshall Peppelman - 3X AAA champ
Tim Darling - 3X AAA champ
Joey Ecklof - 3X AAA champ
Nolf - 3X AA Champ

Don't know enough about their HS careers to say who would be considered ahead of Teasdale but seems like it wouldn't be a slam dunk that he'd be in the top 10 even just in the past 20 years

How many 3-4x champs has PA had? Do people consider a 3x AAA champ as somewhat comparable to a 4x AA champ in terms of HS accolades?

Not from PA but taking a quick glance at this link: http://www.piaa.org/assets/web/documents/results/winter/wrestling/ind/Ind_Wr_Past_Champs.pdf it does appear there have been quite a few 3x champs even in AAA in just the past 15 years or so

Marstellar - 4X AAA champ
Haines - 4X AAA champ
Gulibon - 2X AAA champ, 2x AA champ
Chlebove - 3X AAA champ and missed a year
Lee - 3X AAA champ
Pletcher - 3X AAA champ
Megaludis - 3X AAA champ
Dylan Alton - 3X AAA champ
Jordan Oliver - 3X AAA champ
Marshall Peppelman - 3X AAA champ
Tim Darling - 3X AAA champ
Joey Ecklof - 3X AAA champ
Nolf - 3X AA Champ

Don't know enough about their HS careers to say who would be considered ahead of Teasdale but seems like it wouldn't be a slam dunk that he'd be in the top 10 even just in the past 20 years
Correct and this is just AAA for the most part. Throw in AA and it's no slam dunk.

It's pretty simple. He's not top 10 in PA history or Cael wouldn't have let him get away. Teasdale needs development, hence why he came back to Iowa.

Cael thought be might be top 10 which is why he stole Teasdale from Iowa, but then once Teasdale lost a few matches his senior year, Cael realized Teasdale wasn't the top p4p recruit that he had initially expected.
I am sure this is 100% accurate--GT leaving PSU had nothing to do with his off the mat issues--- he simply was not good enough to be in Cael room--
thanks for clearing this up for all of us:rolleyes:

are you saying that was sarcasm?

and is that what you said when the PSU compliance office responded 'are you serious'? ?

(just funnin' with ya Vodka. you're a good sport)
How do you know how the compliance office responded? Just curious

Reactions: lionlover
Take it from someone also from PA and been to states every year for the past 30 years that I strongly disagree. Gavin wrestler better competition all across the country. I was at the weiricoc (not sure on spelling) vs marsteller match and while it was a very entertaining and very very close match, I wasn’t impressed considering that was chance’s toughest match while in high school.

I believe Powerade was Marstellars first competition that year ( broken collar bone if I’m not mistaken ). If my memory isn’t failing me, and that is correct, that’s extremely impressive to go through one of the toughest tournaments in the country and beat a top recruit in the finals. I agree that Chance was a better high school wrestler than Gavin. Big fan of Gavin’s regardless of where he ends up at so no shade towards him. Just my opinion

I am sure this is 100% accurate--GT leaving PSU had nothing to do with his off the mat issues--- he simply was not good enough to be in Cael room--
thanks for clearing this up for all of us:rolleyes:

Well to be fair it seems the biggest reason might’ve been he couldn’t make 125

Reactions: MSeil
National Wrestling Media association???? Is that something Willie started in his moms basement?
21822l.jpg

Why would you interject yourself into in at all unless you were doing serious journalism on the topic? Don't you think it's a worthwhile story to fully examine why and how psu is stretching their 9.9 and what financial promises may or may not being made post grad? Serious question.

Do you have a plan for extracting that information from Cael?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT