ADVERTISEMENT

Bartlett

Ok, name someone in-the-know who would talk. Other than @DonHawkeye.

And who are these journalists of which you speak?
Journalists is probably not the right title but we have someone posting that makes a living covering, reporting on, and promoting wrestling, who has also interjected repeatedly into the psu recruiting discussion. What I'd like to know is has he done any REAL research into the topic or is he just commenting from a fan perspective?

Journalists is probably not the right title but we have someone posting that makes a living covering, reporting on, and promoting wrestling, who has also interjected repeatedly into the psu recruiting discussion. What I'd like to know is has he done any REAL research into the topic or is he just commenting from a fan perspective?

No, I understand what you're after. And I hate it when people interject during PSU recruiting discussions on the HR. ;)

Reactions: Ski
I can appreciate it. I think Willie is good for the sport, overall. Correction, I think Flo is good for wrestling. And Willie is bad for Iowa wrestling and I hate that about him. He’s a two faced bastard when it comes to an Iowa wrestler and I live in PA. I have different views about certain wrestlers than he and Flo have, which is fine but there’s a one way street with old William (Wilbur, as my old friend would put it). Yes, I went back on bwi to find him. But yeah, whatever. I think Lee and Kolat would dismantle someone like wiercioch in high school. And so would the other greats. Old chance had plenty of fits with him and the kid was undersized. I’d value wilbur’s opinion if he had the nerve to list the 10 ahead of Gavin in PA high school wrestling. I’ll get a chuckle out of that.
Lee and Kolat would have demolished Cody. Teasdale would not have. Pretty much a toss-up. Both PIAA greats, but neither amongst the greatest of the greats.

Whatever Teasdale's issues were at University Park, if he resolves them and wrestles for Iowa he will be damn good. Probably not a gold medalist, but 2 or 3 AA finishes.

Reactions: danoftw
Why would you interject yourself into in at all unless you were doing serious journalism on the topic? Don't you think it's a worthwhile story to fully examine why and how psu is stretching their 9.9 and what financial promises may or may not being made post grad? Serious question.
So you believe Willie should interview Cael and during the interview accuse Cael of cheating and demand he prove he isn't?
Thata boy. Have you ever heard the one about tis better to remain silent and have people think you a fool than speak and remove the doubt?
It is too late now.

Well to be fair it seems the biggest reason might’ve been he couldn’t make 125
but why couldn't he make 125? off the mat issues??? there is way more then meets the eye in this situation.

Cael has created a culture at PSU--no matter how good a wrestler is, if they are not a good fit , then they can do more harm then good to the program.

Why would you interject yourself into in at all unless you were doing serious journalism on the topic? Don't you think it's a worthwhile story to fully examine why and how psu is stretching their 9.9 and what financial promises may or may not being made post grad? Serious question.

i was completely kidding.

Reactions: Novakht
Who said they have to wait? Looking by Vodka’s stuff above, they could be having “camps” all summer and paying the “counselors” to wrestle each other. Kinda like football teams have summer camps.

Then why doesn’t Iowa do it. Take all the iterations of completely unfounded accusations, and do them yourselves if you really believe, uninformed as it may be, that those things are the secret sauce.

Then why doesn’t Iowa do it. Take all the iterations of completely unfounded accusations, and do them yourselves if you really believe, uninformed as it may be, that those things are the secret sauce.

I think it is clear that the Iowa coaches believe in following the rules as intended and are not going to play in the shady grey areas that you know are wrong - but some may be able to get away with. Also, Iowa’s compliance office takes it’s job very seriously and apply rules as intended.

There have been some suggestions that other schools may be stretching the rules into those grey shady areas and their school’s compliance office is happy to look the other way to make the school’s athletic programs have more success on the field/court/mat.

Even if TNT tried to overpay their wrestlers for camps, etc., Iowa’s compliance office would not allow it. Since each school’s compliance office is in charge of policing their school’s coaches and student athletes (NCAA does the bury the head in the sand thing), shady coaches can get away with whatever their compliance offices let them. Think SEC football (and possibly some Big Ten football and wrestling programs).

So in short, even if we tried to game the system, our compliance office would not allow it. Some lame excuses about ethics, honesty, integrity, blah, blah, blah.

I think it is clear that the Iowa coaches believe in following the rules as intended and are not going to play in the shady grey areas that you know are wrong - but some may be able to get away with. Also, Iowa’s compliance office takes it’s job very seriously and apply rules as intended.

There have been some suggestions that other schools may be stretching the rules into those grey shady areas and their school’s compliance office is happy to look the other way to make the school’s athletic programs have more success on the field/court/mat.

Even if TNT tried to overpay their wrestlers for camps, etc., Iowa’s compliance office would not allow it. Since each school’s compliance office is in charge of policing their school’s coaches and student athletes (NCAA does the bury the head in the sand thing), shady coaches can get away with whatever their compliance offices let them. Think SEC football (and possibly some Big Ten football and wrestling programs).

So in short, even if we tried to game the system, our compliance office would not allow it. Some lame excuses about ethics, honesty, integrity, blah, blah, blah.

You cannot possibly believe this.

Reactions: Ski and rassling
So you believe Willie should interview Cael and during the interview accuse Cael of cheating and demand he prove he isn't?
Thata boy. Have you ever heard the one about tis better to remain silent and have people think you a fool than speak and remove the doubt?
It is too late now.
No, I think someone with actual access, an audience, and the supposed overall interest in the good if the sport should do some serious investigating into the topic. The recent recruiting by psu is absolutely unprecedented. People want to know how they're doing it bc it's clearly had a huge impact on the sport.

Reactions: HawkFT
No, I think someone with actual access, an audience, and the supposed overall interest in the good if the sport should do some serious investigating into the topic. The recent recruiting by psu is absolutely unprecedented. People want to know how they're doing it bc it's clearly had a huge impact on the sport.
Everyone knows how they’re doing it. Be the flagship university in the best wrestling state in the country , hire a legendary wrestler who’s a darn good coach and a good recruiter. Have the university and alumni get behind the program and support them .
It’s easy. Now go duplicate that .

Everyone knows how they’re doing it. Be the flagship university in the best wrestling state in the country , hire a legendary wrestler who’s a darn good coach and a good recruiter. Have the university and alumni get behind the program and support them .

Yes... and be sure to fund your wrestling club with more than 10x more money than your closest competitor has.

It's easy.

You cannot possibly believe this.

P$U fan cannot believe that TnT and Iowa want to play by the rules? -----That speaks volumes regarding the ethics of you.

Yes it is true...every school does their own compliance and the NCAA does not police much if at all in wrestling.

You forgot to include "pay family of recruits ~ 300k" .

Reactions: HawkFT
So you're conceding that the heavily funded wrestling club that can legally pay the wrestlers and uncapped amount the second their senior NCAA season is over has a big impact on recruiting? (and that the club can pay the athletes while they're still competing in the NCAA during the summer for working at wrestling camps)
No more senior seasons. Buying extra years now. 100K gets 2 extra years. Chump change to a wrestling cartel.

Sure but any potential “investigation” isn’t going to include Cael giving any information. It would need to be from public records requests, or disgruntled ex-employees or wrestlers, etc.

tOSU recruits every bit as well as Penn State. So are they cheating also? You guys continue to engage in weak minded rationalizations just because your can't accept the fact that there are programs that are better than Iowa.

You can try to delude yourself and say it's because Iowa plays by the rules however what's really happening is that the Brands have limited appeal and Iowa isn't the program it once was under Gable. Beyond that, they continue to waste scholarship money by having overlapping guys at certain weights, not using true freshmen when ready (except Lee when it was a no brainer) and were arrogant for many years in believing they were such great coaches they could develop a number of lesser recruits and still compete for a national championship.

Here is tOSU recruiting over the past two years. While you guys continue to sulk about PSU, another team that has surpassed Iowa is poised to make a heck of a run. Get those excuses ready!

#1-Greg Kerkvliet, MN (285)

#4 Sammy Sasso, PA (149)

#4-Carson Kharchla, OH (165/174)

#5-Jordan Decatur, OH (133)

#10 Gavin Hoffman, PA (184/197)

#15 Quinn Kinner, NJ (141)

#24 Jaden Mattox, OH (157/165)

#32-Dylan D'Emilio, OH (133/141)

#35 Rocky Jordan, OH (174/184)

#37 Malik Heinselman, CO (125)

#50-Isaac Wilcox, UT (157/165)

#78 Kevon Freeman, OH (165/174)

#98 Alex Felix, CA (141/149)

Last edited:
tOSU recruits every bit as well as Penn State. So are they cheating also? You guys continue to engage in weak minded rationalizations just because your can't accept the fact that there are programs that are better than Iowa.

You can try to delude yourself and say it's because Iowa plays by the rules however what's really happening is that the Brands have limited appeal and Iowa isn't the program it once was under Gable. Beyond that, they continue to waste scholarship money by having overlapping guys at certain weights, not using true freshmen when ready (except Lee when it was a no brainer) and were arrogant for many years in believing they were such great coaches they could develop a number of lesser recruits and still compete for a national championship.

Here is tOSU recruiting over the past two years. While you guys continue to sulk about PSU, another team that has surpassed Iowa is poised to make a heck of a run. Get those excuses ready!

#4 Sammy Sasso, PA (149)

Ohio State cheats at everything. God you're a moron.

Left out something about a $5 million funded regional wrestling club as well. And having athletic trainers and dietitians from southern California (complete opposite side of the country) help your athletes put on an absurd amount of muscle and move up several weight classes.
That’s all part of it. And I did mention suppers of the alumni I believe . Don’t blame Penn state for having generous fans. If you guys care so much get some well off trial lawyer or Wall Street wrestling fan to write some big checks.

P$U fan cannot believe that TnT and Iowa want to play by the rules? -----That speaks volumes regarding the ethics of you.

Yes it is true...every school does their own compliance and the NCAA does not police much if at all in wrestling.

You forgot to include "pay family of recruits ~ 300k" .
Sooo Spencer Lee’s father getting in a job in Iowa is by the rules?? A lot of casting stones in this thread.

#4 Sammy Sasso, PA (149)

I think some of this makes sense. I get sick of excuses on here. Everybody cheats but us. Wahwahwah. Nothings going to change unless we make positive changes to fix any issues.

Reactions: Ski
Sooo Spencer Lee’s father getting in a job in Iowa is by the rules?? A lot of casting stones in this thread.

Spencer's Dad was offered the job in Iowa at Coe College before anyone ever heard of Spencer. They have moved many times, hes not a Pennsylvania native and his Dad was offered a high paying job at Coe College before Spencer even was a blip on any wrestling radar.
As far as casting stones. PSU has done quiet enough damage to their University all by themselves. And shows no remorse about any of the lives ruined.

Reactions: DirkTang1

Yes, he was hired for a job he was qualified for ......At a separate school .......where he was hired by his former boss/colleague who had moved from PA to Cedar Rapids. He transferred from one college in PA to another in IA as an administrator--- a lateral move.
Not quite the same as a 300k fiscal bump...... Not even close.

Spencer's Dad was offered the job in Iowa at Coe College before anyone ever heard of Spencer. They have moved many times, hes not a Pennsylvania native and his Dad was offered a high paying job at Coe College before Spencer even was a blip on any wrestling radar.
As far as casting stones. PSU has done quiet enough damage to their University all by themselves. And shows no remorse about any of the lives ruined.

While there is nothing shady about Larry at coe college, it’s crazy to think that he was offered a high paying job before spencer was on anyone’s radar. He was on peoples radars when he was 9. Larry sat on a job for 9 years before taking it?

While there is nothing shady about Larry at coe college, it’s crazy to think that he was offered a high paying job before spencer was on anyone’s radar. He was on peoples radars when he was 9. Larry sat on a job for 9 years before taking it?

Actually Larry passed on the job moved out to Pennsylvania and took another job. His friend hounded him through the years and only when Spencer decided to go to Iowa did he take the job.
If he had gone to PSU they would gave stayed in Pennsylvania.

THIS!!!!
HQwp.gif

Well...."WE ARE".....waiting....

Reactions: DirkTang1
The Lees decided to move to iowa. I think it was Spencer's dad that came up with the idea of getting a jobs. I heard Cathy Lee has a job too.

PSU trolls may be onto something. Surely there must be some law against adults getting jobs. o_O

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT