ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Roster

30hawk

Rookie
Dec 22, 2007
the official roster online lists 25 guys. We can only have 35 guys on the roster when the season starts. We currently have 15 new guys slated to come in (list below).

Snep
Williams
Link
Zaetta
Nord
Heck
Henderson
Townsend
Vines
Barnard
Nemickas
Goodman
Tobey
Guzek
Nedved

That means that there will be some turnover. Anyone know what's moving on that front?

I was wondering the same thing, especially when I saw that Tobey just committed. And I'm curious to see if Henry Marchese will try out this year as well. Does Heller have to cut players to get down to 35? I have no idea how all of that works.

Reactions: funnyfletcher
Remind me, the roster of 35 gets to divvy up 11 full scholarships?

So each player roughly gets 1/3 of a full scholarship?

Thanks
From AthleticScholarships.net: There are approximately 299 NCAA Division I baseball programs with each team being allowed to offer a maximum of (11.7) scholarships. Under NCAA rules, these 11.7 scholarships can be divided between a maximum of 27 players, with all players on athletic scholarship having to receive a minimum of a 25% scholarship.

That means if a school fully supports baseball with the allowed scholarships, the average value is 43% (11.7/27). Some schools don't sully support it, though. For example, Davidson, I believe, only offers 2 or fewer scholarships on their entire roster.

Players, after receiving a 25% scholarship offer, for example, must be wise enough to ask the question, "25% of what?" Some recruiters will use slightly shady tactics of saying 25% but actually meaning 25% of tuition, not room and board. The actual signable scholarship offer is spelled out, but many over the years have been surprised that the verbal offer they received months or years prior wasn't what they thought it would be because they didn't ask the right questions. This is precisely why there are so many paid advisers and recruiting services for high school athletes.

So, with a NCAA roster limit of 35, that means that you can have only 8 walk-on, non-scholarship players on your roster.

It means you can have at least 8 walk-one.
Some players may get more than minimum as it doesn’t say 27 have to get scholarship money.

Reactions: HawkPT
ADVERTISEMENT