ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball schedule

I've done some digging and the second weekend of the year it appears we will be in New Orleans at their tournament with Virginia Tech, New Orleans, and Ball State. Looks like Iowa will face VT on Fri, Ball State on Sat, and New Orleans on Sunday.

Virginia Tech isn't the best school from the ACC, but it will be nice to see an ACC school and a Friday arm from a school like that.

I've done some digging and the second weekend of the year it appears we will be in New Orleans at their tournament with Virginia Tech, New Orleans, and Ball State. Looks like Iowa will face VT on Fri, Ball State on Sat, and New Orleans on Sunday.

Virginia Tech isn't the best school from the ACC, but it will be nice to see an ACC school and a Friday arm from a school like that.

Great detective work. Virginia Tech hired John Szefc away from Maryland over the off season and is in the midst of a major overhaul of their baseball facilities. Obviously it's early to tell but they've made a major commitment to their program and this is a great time to play the Hokies.

More schedules have come out and Iowa hosts Penn State on May 17-19.

So far it looks like the exact same B1G schedule as last year. Literally the exact same with teams, home/away. The dates are different. Really shows a lack of creativity from the B1G.

Sounds like the whole HR Catch-All Board needs to book travel to Vegas to cheer on the Hawks!

Vegas and Iowa baseball would be a good time. I am trying to convince the wife for a quick March 9th-11th trip. Found flights that leave at 7am Fri Morning and a 9pm flight back on Sunday night.

Works out great since the games are like 6pm, 2pm, 1pm I think. She is a no right now though.

A few thoughts...
-Opening weekend I like. It doesn't throw the team right to the wolves and gives us three winnable games against Toledo, Oakland, and ODU.

-Obviously getting Oklahoma State to come to Iowa City is a big deal. I imagine Iowa is going to Stillwater next year? I sure hope so. Get out to Iowa City to see this one as you are talking a team that regularly makes the NCAA tournament and made the CWS in 2016.

-Iowa going out to Vegas will be a lot of fun. If I could I'd make the trip. Just not seeing it right now though.

-Our midweek schedule sucks. I know it's become trademark to play the DIII schools during the season, but besides getting younger guys action it does nothing. It doesn't help you for W/L for NCAA tournament purposes and it does nothing to your RPI. I also think we could go without playing W.Illinois and Bradley multiple times. I know they are within driving distance, but I'd like to see others in there. I'd like to see Iowa add Missouri to the midweek slate. Columbia is 230 miles down the road. We could feasibly play them twice. One home and one away. That'd be an SEC team on the schedule. I'd also like to see Creighton back in the mix on the midweek games. Just my two cents.

-B1G tournament in Omaha is always good. Hoping the Hawks can make it again after back to back title games.

The team can't miss school during the week to travel to a STL or Columbia, MO. You won't see mid-week games further than a 2-3 hour travel time, as Big 10 rules don't allow any more missed school days. They are all reserved for conference travel play. That is why you see Bradley and Western Illinois multiple times.

The team can't miss school during the week to travel to a STL or Columbia, MO. You won't see mid-week games further than a 2-3 hour travel time, as Big 10 rules don't allow any more missed school days. They are all reserved for conference travel play. That is why you see Bradley and Western Illinois multiple times.

Then if that's the case it'd be nice to see Northern Illinois and Illinois State still on there. I think it'd even work to have UI-Chicago and Chicago State.

Would Creighton or UNO be doable as a mid-week road game? That should be around 3 1/2 hours or so.

Home opener is scheduled for Feb 27th vs. Cornell, hope the weatherman cooperates.

Would Creighton or UNO be doable as a mid-week road game? That should be around 3 1/2 hours or so.

Home opener is scheduled for Feb 27th vs. Cornell, hope the weatherman cooperates.

We've done Creighton before midweek at Rosenblatt and TD Ameritrade. Also done UNO once at Werner Park. I remember the games at Werner at TD were like 1pm and 12pm. The Rosenblatt games were night.

The last time Creighton was on the schedule Iowa traveled for a 6pm game at TD. Storms were in the forecast, but it had already rained and looked like we could play. It was said all day "game on" until 30 min or so before the pitch. Then they cancelled the game. My understanding is Iowa was NOT happy about this at all. They haven't been on the schedule since.

We've done Creighton before midweek at Rosenblatt and TD Ameritrade. Also done UNO once at Werner Park. I remember the games at Werner at TD were like 1pm and 12pm. The Rosenblatt games were night.

The last time Creighton was on the schedule Iowa traveled for a 6pm game at TD. Storms were in the forecast, but it had already rained and looked like we could play. It was said all day "game on" until 30 min or so before the pitch. Then they cancelled the game. My understanding is Iowa was NOT happy about this at all. They haven't been on the schedule since.

The Creighton midweek games were scheduled after the academic year.

I do remember some grumbling after the weather incident.

The last time Creighton was scheduled was April 23rd, 2014. UNO was April 16th, 2013. Creighton also in Omaha on April 14th which was also cancelled then played May 15th.

The last time Creighton was scheduled was April 23rd, 2014. UNO was April 16th, 2013. Creighton also in Omaha on April 14th which was also cancelled then played May 15th.

Huh, I totally misremembered. Thanks for the correction.

Huh, I totally misremembered. Thanks for the correction.

At the end of the day it is what it is, I'd just like to see more variety/opportunity I guess. I didn't know there was a rule in place during the academic year, which is why I suggested Mizzou. Just seems like a good opportunity within a few hours.

I’d really like to see UI play Creighton or UNO at Principal Park. Give the DSM Hawk fans a chance to see the team.

At the end of the day it is what it is, I'd just like to see more variety/opportunity I guess. I didn't know there was a rule in place during the academic year, which is why I suggested Mizzou. Just seems like a good opportunity within a few hours.

Softball has played mid-week games with Mizzou for the last several years, both in IC and Columbia, though I don't know if the same rules apply to softball and baseball.

The last time I talked to Coach Heller, the reason Missouri is not on the schedule (for either midweek or weekend) is they have not agreed to give Iowa a home and home.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT