ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball, Softball, Track to get new stadiums?

Mar 14, 2003
According to the article in 2015 a new multipurpose indoor facility will open that the baseball and softball team can have access too. It appears the bill is $15 million. It also says Barta is going to come out with a strategic plan this fall to build an Olympic Sports Village on West Campus that includes new stadiums for baseball, softball, and track.

LINK

D-III is an exaggeration (many don't even have their own and so play at high schools, city parks, etc.), but it's fair to say the bar has been raised quite a bit for D-I BB & SB and Iowa hasn't been keeping up. There will be NCAA BB regionals this weekend, tune in and see what the hosts have. What's amazing to me is the schools adding dedicated indoor practice facilities just for SB.

Good to see Barta is at least considering the issue, even though there is no funding yet. In hindsight, lower Finkbine was a poor place to locate SB & track, but nobody had expected flooding to become such a frequent issue. The land Banks Field occupies could be used for a lot of other things. It will be interesting to see what donor money is still out there
after the big basketball and FB practice facility projects, plus the
new pool.

I'd be interested to know the problems with the baseball field. And isn't the softball facility fairly new?

PennState: (seats 6k
800px-ML_Press_Box_Penn_State.jpg

Nebraska: (Sub air system to heat\cool the field)
Haymarket-Park-07-3-web.jpg

Louisville: All turf
UofL-2.jpg

Iowa:
1174_Iowa_Baseball_at_Duane_Banks_Field.jpg

PSU? Lol, Where would Iowa stack up if they played at the Kernels field?
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Banks Field: I'd guess the locker rooms are small and dated; the concession area definitely is. The playing surface should be pretty good for a natural surface, though in hindsight probably should have done FieldTurf. They've put theater-type seats behind the plate; seating capacity is probably adequate for the level of fan interest. Cal Eldred donated money for lights about 10 years ago; however the weather for most evening games is chilly and often damp.

Pearl Field: originally built as a recreational/intramural 4-diamond complex about 30 years ago. Seating and press box have been expanded, but sight lines aren't the best (near foul line usually not visible from where I end up sitting). Could use more seating and parking. Playing surface appears to be pretty good, though always at risk of flooding

Originally posted by Hoffahawk:
PSU? Lol, Where would Iowa stack up if they played at the Kernels field?
Posted from wireless.rivals.com
Gotta agree, teams like PSU, Nebraska, and Ohio State share stadiums with minor league teams. Even a team like Nebraska-Omaha who doesn't even have a stadium I think gets to play some of their games at Werner Park.

If Iowa was in Cedar Rapids, Des Moines, or even the Quad Cities we could have that luxury.

Bradley plays at the Peoria Chiefs stadium, Ashford in Clinton plays at the Lumber Kings stadium, even a JUCO in Springfield, IL, plays at the former minor league stadium. This is true all over the country.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT