ADVERTISEMENT

Based on all the excitement and developments and announcements leading up to and now around Spring Practice........

anything other than bf becoming qb coach, did i miss any big news recently?

if we can win the close games (all the pressure is on Woods and his FG kicker) we'll stay in the running for ccg in late november, otherwise could be a forgettable year. that said, personally speaking i think it will be a fun year to watch no matter because low pressure/expectations and we will win a game that we had no business winning. obviously, i'm talking about purdue.

anything other than bf becoming qb coach, did i miss any big news recently?

if we can win the close games (all the pressure is on Woods and his FG kicker) we'll stay in the running for ccg in late november, otherwise could be a forgettable year. that said, personally speaking i think it will be a fun year to watch no matter because low pressure/expectations and we will win a game that we had no business winning. obviously, i'm talking about purdue.
Yeah the expectation every year can be to compete for a division title. More than that depending on the year, the schedule, injuries, etc. This year the crossovers are Michigan, OSU and Rutgers, when last year it was Indiana (thought to be good but was terrible), Penn State (was good but ended up meh), and Maryland (bad). Michigan and OSU almost assuredly will not be bad. And Rutgers has Schiano putting them in the right direction. They are not likely to be real good, but at Rutgers to open Big 10 play will be tough.

Iowa may be good this year, but the record might not reflect it. They could also beat Michigan at home, win at Rutgers and put themselves into contention for the division. It's why the games are interesting. If the offense moves from bad to just competent, it will be a real interesting season.

Iowa's defense is good for 8 wins.
Just need the offense to win +1 :)
9-3

If the O-line starters is figured out satisfactorily, they gel early, and QB is even marginally better, I'm hopeful for 10..... but its early and a lot needs to shake out.

Is anyone else expecting anything better than an 8-4 record next year? :D
My sarcasm meter is going off a bit ... but I'll answer earnestly all the same:

Through the regular season over the past 4 years ...
'18 Hawks: 8-4 (0.667)
'19 Hawks: 9-3 (0.750)
'20 Hawks: 6-2 (0.750)
'21 Hawks: 10-2 (0.833)

It seems reasonable to suppose that 9-3 is a more likely target. Given the punting and defense ... I'd put us firmly in the picture to contend and/or win the B1G west again.

It seems reasonable to suppose that 9-3 is a more likely target. Given the punting and defense ... I'd put us firmly in the picture to contend and/or win the B1G west again.

Barring injuries, I usually look at 8-4 as the floor most years. Tough crossover games this year, but the balance of our trophy games being at home balances that out to some extent. Key will be improvement at the oline and QB positions. Feel good about the bulk of the depth chart currently.

It's both. I like to leave my posts open to interpretation, with just enough truth that you can also segway into a more serious discussion if need be........ :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: IowaMenRideTheD
I like that Michigan has all home games before they face us as their first road game. Winning our first 4 is pretty important so hopefully no stumbling at Rutgers but it will no doubt be a tough game. Wisconsin 1st BT game is at Ohio State. Be nice to have a one game lead on them after the first week.
Ok....now back to work.

I like that Michigan has all home games before they face us as their first road game. Winning our first 4 is pretty important so hopefully no stumbling at Rutgers but it will no doubt be a tough game. Wisconsin 1st BT game is at Ohio State. Be nice to have a one game lead on them after the first week.
Ok....now back to work.
I like that Michigan won’t have their two first round NFL draft D Ends abusing our O line.

truthfully, the case can be made that iowa will field a shell of an offense without linderbaum and goodson who were the two lone bright spots on O. a man with 50 years of accumulated qb acumen was replaced with what is best described as a brian ferentz. iowa will have the least imposing OL in the b1g blocking for the least fast twitch endowed qb in the ncaa. on D, iowa's best player will be a white CB making a comeback from knee injury. on schedule front- michigan, osu, and wisc are only tip of the iceberg; iowa will also have to contend with an ascendant rutgers, fiendishly formidable bielema, a guaranteed loss to purdue, and a massive influx of highly rated talent into nebraska. games against mn and nw (assuming that fitz runs out his petras same as us) are at best coin toss. isu under campbell will be ready for us. nevada and sdsu become must wins.

between now and start of the season, i hope such realistic posts keep expectations grounded at realistic levels.

truthfully, the case can be made that iowa will field a shell of an offense without linderbaum and goodson who were the two lone bright spots on O. a man with 50 years of accumulated qb acumen was replaced with what is best described as a brian ferentz. iowa will have the least imposing OL in the b1g blocking for the least fast twitch endowed qb in the ncaa. on D, iowa's best player will be a white CB making a comeback from knee injury. on schedule front- michigan, osu, and wisc are only tip of the iceberg; iowa will also have to contend with an ascendant rutgers, fiendishly formidable bielema, a guaranteed loss to purdue, and a massive influx of highly rated talent into nebraska. games against mn and nw (assuming that fitz runs out his petras same as us) are at best coin toss. isu under campbell will be ready for us. nevada and sdsu become must wins.

between now and start of the season, i hope such realistic posts keep expectations grounded at realistic levels.
I guess if we need “grounded” we know who to come too. I guess we should be expecting 2-10?

Personally I think any of our linebackers are more valuable than Moss. Get back to me on Nebraska when they stop wetting the bed during games. ISU loses a ton, and is at home. Minnesota also loses a ton, especially on their line. I could go on.

it’s March 29th, any number of players are likely to transfer out from Iowa and everyone on our schedule between now and Labor Day. I see zero reason to be as pessimistic as you are at this point.

EKppAumWoAErTan

Good Lord. Drink less before you post.

You forgot to add that "and Iowa's grand plan for fixing their issues from last year and trying to keep Iowa at the level they were last year at the very least................is to run it back with the players we have returning and hope that they practice real hard and suddenly become infinitely better than they were last year when the culmination of the hard work they put into their season was getting blasted by Michigan, 42-3, and losing to Kentucky in football...........................and that we should be okay with the idea of regressing (possibly quite noticeably) in 2022 IF* that happens, which we can honestly speculate is more realistic than getting back to the Big Ten Championship game."

Just to help you fill in the blanks...... ;)

You’re already wrong one sentence into your post. The offense looked better with the other 2 RBs.

You forgot to add that "and Iowa's grand plan for fixing their issues from last year and trying to keep Iowa at the level they were last year at the very least................is to run it back with the players we have returning and hope that they practice real hard and suddenly become infinitely better than they were last year when the culmination of the hard work they put into their season was getting blasted by Michigan, 42-3, and losing to Kentucky in football...........................and that we should be okay with the idea of regressing (possibly quite noticeably) in 2022 IF* that happens, which we can honestly speculate is more realistic than getting back to the Big Ten Championship game."

Just to help you fill in the blanks...... ;)
you make some very good points but i was trying to not drain positivity, so avoided rubbing of salt into last year's wounds. :)

Last edited:
You’re already wrong one sentence into your post. The offense looked better with the other 2 RBs.
don't forget that we lost that game. goodson woulda coulda broken one of the many 8-10 yard williamses runs into something much much longer and generated at least 1 more FG or TD. imo tyler was the best rb at iowa after greene -- i certainly do hope 2xwilliams end up eclipsing him but it's too early to declare them an upgrade.

giphy.gif

Lot of great stuff there and maybe some semi accurate projection. Interestingly though it reads that it must suck the 2021 B10 defensive back of the year is returning to play his senior and apparently it triggers some soyboi’s on the boards that he’s a white feller. 😱
It sure is refreshing the B10 conference looks at skill, athletic ability and accomplishments on the field when giving out those awards and not pigmentation.
But since the douche canoe mafia is emotionally unstable about skin color AGAIN, maybe it’s time they loosen their extra tight hair buns a tad simply to relieve the minimal brain vibrations remaining under that extra thick skull of theirs.
Most grown ups here know the returning B10 defensive back of the year is absolutely a very solid player and one that will most likely monetarily out gross the OPs lifetime earnings by time he turns 28.
Now with the facts out of the way and with zero disrespect to any defensive players currently on roster no matter their hue, the best player on the D is 31.

Is anyone else expecting anything better than an 8-4 record next year? :D
It would be extremely shocking for Iowa to post its worst record since 2016, especially since we’ve strung three top 30 recruiting classes together for the first time in the KF era.

But I’m sure the crybaby sky is falling crowd here thinks 4 wins is the ceiling or something equally stupid.

Almost any game in the B1G can be a loss if you aren't well prepared.

While Rutgers and Illinois have arguably upgraded their coaching situations (although I liked Lovie) - Illinois was pretty senior laden last year ... so it will continue to likely be a bit of rebuilding job for them.

Rutger's lost their "secret weapon" punter last year - if memory serves (not really a secret ... dude was awesome).

No way I look past EITHER Rutgers or Illinois ... but I still like Iowa's chances.

While ISU's Campbell is a mighty fine coach ... his experience-laden squad last year was more than a little underwhelming. Hawks decapped them in Jack Trice ... I like our chances at home in '22.

Not meant to be a knock on ISU ... but arguably one of our toughest games in the OOC-slate in '22 might just be South Dakota State. Those guys have been on a terrific run over the past few years. Good players, well coached ... and they've developed a winning culture. Last time the Hawks played a team from the Dakotas at Kinnick ... we lost!

Had Carson Strong remained at QB for Nevada ... and had Norvell stayed ... then that game would have been a lot more interesting. Given their new staff ... I honestly don't know what to expect for '22.

As for Northwestern ... the challenge for them will be to see if they can find their groove on D in the post-Hankwitz era. No doubt, Fitz knows how to coach against Iowa ... but playing D is key for them to truly be competitive.

Minnesota and Purdue are likely BOTH going to be tougher games than Hawk fans expect. On the other hand, I think that the Hawks are getting tired of losing to our most-hated rival (the Boilermakers).

The rest of the challenges ... we all know about.

8-4 sounds right to me (Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio State & Wisconsin).
I'm kinda expecting an "upset" (if you want to call it that) between either Wisconsin or Michigan. Gopher game will probably be tough ... because their stadium is a pretty tough place to play when it gets late in the season. Darn wind and cold weather ... definitely plays to the strength of their running game (given that they have Ibrahim for another year).

Don't know what to expect from Purdue ... Brohm has gotten down Phil's D. However, the last time that happened ... Kill's Minnesota staff broke down our D pretty well ... but ultimately, Phil adjusted.

Ohio State at the shoe ... enough said. Our D should be good ... don't know if it will be THAT good though ...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT