ADVERTISEMENT

Basic improvements needed fro Petras

Bryzzo

Team MVP
Aug 31, 2016
Kirk is gonna stick with Petras, not much doubting that fact.

These are the specific areas that Peteas needs to show improvement - these should be the major emphasis points in practice every day:

1. Pocket presence - Spencer needs to learn to step up in the pocket when there is pressure and keep his eyes downfield instead of abandoning the play and trying to run cause he's not a mobile qb who is gonna to elude any tacklers and gain any rushing yards. Petras has actually moved himself into a couple of sacks this year.

2. Set your feet. His feet are always dancing. Get your base set and hit a few receivers in stride instead of every throw being too high or too low.

3. Come off your 1st read and find your 2nd or 3rd options. He locks in on his first read and rarely comes off that read.

If im Brian, I blitz him like mad during every practice and at least try to get him more comfortable stepping up in the pocket or designing more throws where he is on the move.

Reactions: HawkeyeinOmaha
Haha...good burn. I will say if I see Peteas do a double thumbs up or muscle flex motion to the sideline after another terrible throw, I just might bust something.

I doubt a new hairstyle will do anything for Petras. Besides, an afro might be viewed as cultural appropriation. That's the last thing we need right now.
Agreed! White people with fros?
giphy.gif

RELAX. That's my armchair take. He appears super competitive (good) and overly intense / anxious (bad). I watched Jared Goff play last week and he seemed so cool and calm in the pocket. Once he settles down he will complete more passes, Once he competes more passes he will become more confident. I refuse to believe that he is not talented enough to succeed. The coaches rave about his leadership abilities. This leads me to believe that his game day shortcomings right now reside mostly in his head.

His accuracy has been poor and he seems to be really struggling so far with the speed of the game. It seems like 75% of his throws that aren't high over head are behind the receivers. Other times he just fails to see the open receivers downfield or doesn't trust himself to get the ball there. This is probably the best pass protection and group of receivers that we've had at Iowa in the last 10 years. At times he's had all day in a pristine pocket and yet he seems to panic after his primary target is covered and runs out of bounds or into a defender. Seems like a lot of issues are mental right now.

I agree with all of those things. I am willing to give him the chance to get better, but he better be much, MUCH better next season. I also wouldn't mind them finding somebody else to put some pressure on Petras to improve, or replace him altogether if he is good enough.

Is it just me or does he look 45 years old and his helmet is too small? Maybe bigger helmet and less stimulants pregame. And let’s cut a deal with Father Time.

Reactions: onionman1
Honestly, he just needs to play catch with his receivers. How many of his throws have been off? It seems like he’s trying to guide the ball while throwing it as hard as possible. That leads to passes that are too low or behind the receiver. If he’d just relax and play catch with the receivers when they are wide open, he‘d look a ton better.

On Friday he completely missed a wide open ISM in the endzone on a throw a middle schooler could make. He also had several that were down below the receiver’s knees, including one to a guy wide open in the flat with all the time in the world to make the throw. Plus he’s been throwing behind his receivers a ton which has cost him receptions or yards after the catch. Heck the miracle catch by Beyer in the first quarter only existed because he was significantly overthrown, that should have been a catch and run of at least 5-10 more yards if the ball was accurate.

I can only imagine what Drew Tate would have been like with this receiving corps and running backs. We’d be averaging close to 40 a game.

There's a number of things dude needs to work on but if there's only one thing that I would say he needs to get right immediately is hitting those play-actions.... we all know the play-action is the calling for an Iowa offense and that redzone bootleg play-action to the corner endzone is an Iowa staple.... but seeing Petras miss that throw was what made me most frustrated, because that is the one throw that every Iowa QB needs to master

His accuracy has been poor and he seems to be really struggling so far with the speed of the game. It seems like 75% of his throws that aren't high over head are behind the receivers. Other times he just fails to see the open receivers downfield or doesn't trust himself to get the ball there. This is probably the best pass protection and group of receivers that we've had at Iowa in the last 10 years. At times he's had all day in a pristine pocket and yet he seems to panic after his primary target is covered and runs out of bounds or into a defender. Seems like a lot of issues are mental right now.

It’s not mental. His completion percentage is similar to hs. He just isn’t an accurate passer and I don’t see it vastly improving. One can talk about mechanics and that is something he can continue to work on, but accurate passers are able to make incredible throws even when their mechanics may be compromised. He isn’t hitting people wide open with no pressure.

Honestly, he just needs to play catch with his receivers. How many of his throws have been off? It seems like he’s trying to guide the ball while throwing it as hard as possible. That leads to passes that are too low or behind the receiver. If he’d just relax and play catch with the receivers when they are wide open, he‘d look a ton better.

On Friday he completely missed a wide open ISM in the endzone on a throw a middle schooler could make. He also had several that were down below the receiver’s knees, including one to a guy wide open in the flat with all the time in the world to make the throw. Plus he’s been throwing behind his receivers a ton which has cost him receptions or yards after the catch. Heck the miracle catch by Beyer in the first quarter only existed because he was significantly overthrown, that should have been a catch and run of at least 5-10 more yards if the ball was accurate.

I can only imagine what Drew Tate would have been like with this receiving corps and running backs. We’d be averaging close to 40 a game.
I actually think he's waiting too long and then trying to drive the ball in, often behind the receiver. He knows the scheme. He needs to trust his read and deliver the ball into space on time instead of waiting to see the receiver come open.

These are the specific areas that Peteas needs to show improvement - these should be the major emphasis points in practice every day:

1. Pocket presence - Spencer needs to learn to step up in the pocket when there is pressure and keep his eyes downfield instead of abandoning the play and trying to run cause he's not a mobile qb who is gonna to elude any tacklers and gain any rushing yards. Petras has actually moved himself into a couple of sacks this year.

2. Set your feet. His feet are always dancing. Get your base set and hit a few receivers in stride instead of every throw being too high or too low.

3. Come off your 1st read and find your 2nd or 3rd options. He locks in on his first read and rarely comes off that read.

If im Brian, I blitz him like mad during every practice and at least try to get him more comfortable stepping up in the pocket or designing more throws where he is on the move.
His accuracy isn't going to improve. At this point in his career you either have it, or you don't, and he does not have it. He might look decent in practice where it means nothing, but in the games he absolutely falls apart, and this is with no fans in the stands. When is the last time an Iowa qb had more interceptions than td passes? If he is the best option we have at qb we are in BIG trouble. I guess I would question the ability of the coaching staff to evaluate talent at the qb position. Why was he even recruited if he is this bad?

It’s not mental. His completion percentage is similar to hs. He just isn’t an accurate passer and I don’t see it vastly improving. One can talk about mechanics and that is something he can continue to work on, but accurate passers are able to make incredible throws even when their mechanics may be compromised. He isn’t hitting people wide open with no pressure.

Yep, he is a stiff thrower who can only really throw from the initial set and release and even then he is not that accurate. The best QBs that make plays can put a ball where it needs to be from various positions and can make more forearm/wrist/elbow involved throws vs only the big full arm throw that Petras does. Once the first set happens if the guy he is targeting is not open then he is lost both in what to do and the ability to mechanically do it. Unfortunately I don't see that changing.

His accuracy isn't going to improve. At this point in his career you either have it, or you don't, and he does not have it. He might look decent in practice where it means nothing, but in the games he absolutely falls apart, and this is with no fans in the stands. When is the last time an Iowa qb had more interceptions than td passes? If he is the best option we have at qb we are in BIG trouble. I guess I would question the ability of the coaching staff to evaluate talent at the qb position. Why was he even recruited if he is this bad?

I agree, inaccurate and immobile are just not traits to build a solid QB around.

Agree with item #2. It appeared his feet were off the ground and not planted when he threw the INT.

We need more motion with Tracy, ISM, or Goodson out of the slot to see if man or zone then either hand off to motion man, to the back in the backfield, or play action to help slow down the defense with the misdirection which will help Petras with more time to set up and make a good throw to his wide receivers. Petras struggles in shot gun formation and moving up in the pocket where the D has no motion from Iowa or play action/RPO that they need to run to hold the linebackers or make them commit to the run then pull the ball to pass. Iowa is not good enough to go straight shot gun and receivers running routes ala FSU.

Spencer's senior year for those interested.

Offense
Passing
YearGradeTeamGPCAttYdsC%AvgY/GC/GTDTD/GIntLngQB Rate
17-18SeniorVarsity133726184157.60211.2319.828.6503.82105.9

It is footwork. Improve that and you improve accuracy. I think after the early season fastballs he has tried to change and now his mechanics are out of whack, like a golfer with a new swing.

Kirk Ferenz is a good coach, but over the years his ability to fill the quarterback position either by recruiting or judgement when they get at Iowa is below standard and pulls him down. Almost everybody agrees Petras
has been a flop and like a leopard does not change his spots he is not going to get any better. Ferentz seems
to have a blind spot when it comes to the quarterback position and sometimes would be better off thinking that
maybe these critics are right.

It is footwork. Improve that and you improve accuracy. I think after the early season fastballs he has tried to change and now his mechanics are out of whack, like a golfer with a new swing.
It is his footwork, he is not driving the football. He is throwing all arm. I liken it to my golf swing where I try to hit the ball as hard as I can before I finish my backswing

@DodgerHawki not sure what happened to that other thread, but wanted to let you know I saw your post, appreciate the kind words, and agree that the lack of deep/jump balls is for the benefit of our young QB. I’m convinced that even Petras could put up a ball and let Smith go get it though

Reactions: DodgerHawki
Didn't stanley come out before the draft and say he had to go find a QB coach because mechanics were never worked on while at Iowa?

Reactions: not_mantiteo
@DodgerHawki not sure what happened to that other thread, but wanted to let you know I saw your post, appreciate the kind words, and agree that the lack of deep/jump balls is for the benefit of our young QB. I’m convinced that even Petras could put up a ball and let Smith go get it though

Makes you wonder if the coaching staff is preventing him from throwing downfield, pushing the short pass only to prevent possible turnovers and he is just not comfortable with what they are asking of him based upon his constantly moving feet. It would also be interesting to get an honest opinion from the receivers and what the coaching staff is asking of Petras from their perspective. It appears YAC are the focal point of this offense based upon these short throws but the receivers aren’t able to get them due to the ball not being in the spot needed for that to happen. Look at all the high, low, and behind the play passes they are trying to catch, making it difficult to get those YAC with minimal separation, allowing the defender to close the separation created to make the tackle.

Focus needs to be on footwork and putting the ball in the right location for the receiver to make a play after the reception and we just aren’t seeing it due to these two continuing issues.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
Anyone remember what series it was that Spencer threw one 30 feet high over ISM to go for 6 against Nebby? I think it was going into the north end zone so Q1 or Q3 I believe?

Makes you wonder if the coaching staff is preventing him from throwing downfield, pushing the short pass only to prevent possible turnovers and he is just not comfortable with what they are asking of him based upon his constantly moving feet. It would also be interesting to get an honest opinion from the receivers and what the coaching staff is asking of Petras from their perspective. It appears YAC are the focal point of this offense based upon these short throws but the receivers aren’t able to get them due to the ball not being in the spot needed for that to happen. Look at all the high, low, and behind the play passes they are trying to catch, making it difficult to get those YAC with minimal separation, allowing the defender to close the separation created to make the tackle.

Focus needs to be on footwork and putting the ball in the right location for the receiver to make a play after the reception and we just aren’t seeing it due to these two continuing issues.
Agreed. Feels like we have a lot of receivers who are capable of either stretching the field or getting a lot of YAC and neither are happening

ADVERTISEMENT