ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball cards!

Just opened a 30 pack of Donruss basketball cards and hit a Joe Wieskamp rookie autograph card. That doesn’t mean much to most collectors but to an Iowa fan it’s a BIG hit! You don’t get many autos in those packs either.

I’ve bought several Keegan Murray auto cards and a Garza auto card but this is my first actual Iowa player hit!
Are you 8?

Are you 8?
Wow. Snide much are we? The guy enjoys collecting cards doesn't sound like it should be a huge deal. Great thing to collect and pass down. Just passed on my baseball card collection, (some pretty good cards from the 50's and 60's )to my three grandsons who are really into collecting, and are pretty excited about it. Pretty freakin cool to FINALLY start getting a regular flow of Hawks into the league. Should be a good thing for the future of Iowa basketball....

Last edited:
Wow. Snide much are we? The guy enjoys collecting cards doesn't sound like it should be a huge deal. Great thing to collect and pass down. Just passed on my baseball card collection, (some pretty good cards from the 50's and 60's )to my three grandsons who are really into collecting, and are pretty excited about it. Pretty freakin cool to FINALLY start getting a regular flow of Hawks into the league. Should be a good thing for the future of Iowa basketball...

I collected cards as a kid in the 80s and 90s but unfortunately those cards are mostly junk. I just recently got back into it at the end of last year when one of my teenage sons was buying some packs. It’s changed a lot since I was a kid. The biggest change is just how crazy expensive the cards are. And to really get good cards you can’t buy them at retail stores. But it has been a lot of fun for my son and I to spend a lot of time together on.

I collected cards as a kid in the 80s and 90s but unfortunately those cards are mostly junk. I just recently got back into it at the end of last year when one of my teenage sons was buying some packs. It’s changed a lot since I was a kid. The biggest change is just how crazy expensive the cards are. And to really get good cards you can’t buy them at retail stores. But it has been a lot of fun for my son and I to spend a lot of time together on.
Right on. I get it totally. I haven't done a thing with cards for decades. I have three grandsons ages 10, 8 and 5 and they are REALLY getting into cards and the stats, so I dug them out and have passed my old ones ( some pretty decent old ones as well), to my guys. As you've said its been fun making this connection with them and to enjoy their new found enthusiasm with them. You may just help usher in a new Hawk fan to the group as well, so good for you. Hope you enjoy this special time with your son. You get limited chances to make these connections...

Are any of the cards , say Clemens, Sandberg, Dawson, Puckett, etc worth anything?

Are any of the cards , say Clemens, Sandberg, Dawson, Puckett, etc worth anything?
Don't know. Most all of the cards are from way older then that, like the 50's through the 70's. More the Harmon Killebrew, Hank Aaron, Minnie Minosa, Mantle type years....My grandsons have them now...Their really excited because they have several good Albert Pujols cards and their dad went to school with Albert here in the KC area.....

Don't know. Most all of the cards are from way older then that, like the 50's through the 70's. More the Harmon Killebrew, Hank Aaron, Minnie Minosa, Mantle type years....My grandsons have them now...Their really excited because they have several good Albert Pujols cards and their dad went to school with Albert here in the KC area.....
You don't happen to have a Mantle rookie card, do you?

😉

Most aren’t worth much. They mass produced those cards so much that the market is completely saturated. The rookie cards may be worth a little. Early 80s cards sometimes have a little value but you need to get into 70s and earlier cards to really start finding value.

Cards now are still mass produced but every card has several parallels of that card that are often numbered. You can also get autographs and cards with player patches now which is really what people are looking for. It’s somewhat overwhelming.

if they are rookies and professionally graded with a high grade, then yes. Otherwise probably not going to be worth anything that is exciting unfortunately
How much does it cost to get them graded, I’ve got them all

How much does it cost to get them graded, I’ve got them all
Not sure. Seems like most people use PSA and then Beckett(BCG). I had heard the cost went up when Covid started as people with free time spent more time collecting. But I would start by looking at PSA site.

The difference between a Gem Mint 10 vs a Mint 9 can be large. For example a Sandberg Fleer rookie in a 10 is around 300.00 vs a 9 which is around 60.00

Reactions: win1forthe
It’s about $100 to get a card graded by PSA, last I looked. I haven’t gotten any cards graded but my son and I opened a box of prizm draft picks basketball cards today and got a Franz Wagner on campus rookie that I’m tempted to grade just to see what I can resell it for. Non graded versions are selling for $100 or so on eBay.

Reactions: win1forthe
It’s about $100 to get a card graded by PSA, last I looked. I haven’t gotten any cards graded but my son and I opened a box of prizm draft picks basketball cards today and got a Franz Wagner on campus rookie that I’m tempted to grade just to see what I can resell it for. Non graded versions are selling for $100 or so on eBay.
PSA is now accepting cards for $50/card. The turnaround time is around 90 days.

yes, I've had 43 cards graded over the pandemic.
I’m guessing you’d recommend getting them graded then. Did you sell any after getting them graded? Did it increase the price you got for them?

I’m still fairly new to collecting cards. Where do you get the majority of your cards? Retail
Stores like Walmart, target and Barnes and Noble don’t seem to be the answer. I’d love to focus on hobby boxes but they’re tough to find without paying huge prices. I’ve bid on some card breaks on eBay but have yet to win any. It’s a tough hobby to break into. I’m willing to shell out some money but at some point it becomes tough to justify.

I’m guessing you’d recommend getting them graded then. Did you sell any after getting them graded? Did it increase the price you got for them?

I’m still fairly new to collecting cards. Where do you get the majority of your cards? Retail
Stores like Walmart, target and Barnes and Noble don’t seem to be the answer. I’d love to focus on hobby boxes but they’re tough to find without paying huge prices. I’ve bid on some card breaks on eBay but have yet to win any. It’s a tough hobby to break into. I’m willing to shell out some money but at some point it becomes tough to justify.
I'm probably not the right person to help with your questions. I'm more of a vintage collector and all my cards are pre-1990. You may ask on the board how current year collectors are obtaining new offerings. I'd stay at your eBay pursuits and also try to create a relationship with a local dealer or two that might be able to obtain hobby boxes etc. Good luck! Feel free to PM me if more questions.

s-l500.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT