ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Media Day News and Notes

TomKakert

Publisher, HawkeyeReport.com
Sep 16, 2001
Iowa players are feeling pretty positive about this team. They think they have a shot to be better than last year. Very apparent that this team is very close. Tight group of players. Many of them think Fran can go 11 deep pretty comfortably.

As far as the backup big man, I think it's probably going to be Mulvey. He's just moving much better than Josh. There might be some moments for JO, but Mulvey seems to be the backup big. Fran very high on Rebraca and how his offense will grow. Look for more outside shots from him this year. Probably not three's but 10-15 foot jumpers. FWIW, Rebraca and Perkins did not practice today. Minor stuff and they will be fine.

Sandfort is playing the 2 to the 4 spot. I was wondering earlier this summer about him seeing some time at the four and they are going there. He loves it. Said he's a stretch four and he likes to rebound. Might see some small ball lineups with Kris at the five and Payton at the four.

Kris Murray is adjusting to being the guy. He knows he has to be more selfish at times, but he's a naturally unselfish guy. Very good passer and I think fans will see this year when opposing teams run doubles at him that Kris will find the open man.

Josh Dix is going to be interesting this year. Lot of ground to make up, but his value as a possible shooter could have some serious value as the season goes along.

Perkins is super confident. Going to be fun to watch him continue to grow this year. He also was identified as the biggest trash talker on the team.

Bowen said during the summer he usually made 500 of the 700 three's he took. Would get shots up every day. Does that in the morning now, but not as many shots. He said he feels like he can get to either side of the rim on a regular basis.

Will have a whole lot of interviews up tonight, a pod coming, photo gallery, and Kyle will be working on a Connor McCaffery story. Thanks for reading and supporting our work.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News